• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2013 [Up5: Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Official PS3/WiiU]

No, it's pretty good.

there seems to be a VERY sharp divide between what critics think, and what series fans think.

all due respect to kagari, but that seems to be a perfect example. note: I do not own the game, but by all accounts, it's solid mechanically, looks nice, etc. Had it not been named DmC, it wouldn't be getting the vitriol.
Not a "perfect" game by any means, but then again neither was Devil May Cry 1, or 4.

I find it hard to believe it's definitively worse than devil may cry 2 as well. (edit: i do own and have played DMC1-3. skipped 4, because it seemed more of the same and I wasn't really interested.)

very, very strange reaction to this game, and it's been going on long before we even saw footage.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well, they do have multiple new projects going, and this tweet was from March 8th (well after sales were known).

ninjatheoryprojectscxkb4.jpg

Resumes are things.

Capcom will fund these critical darlings FOR-EV-ERRRRRRR

WiiU is avoiding market saturation which is a good thing in the short term. 300k Xbox 360s sold just means 300k fewer people purchasing an Xbox 360 next month. Therefore The WiiU's growth potential is larger than any console or handheld on the market.

That got a chuckle out of me.

SykoTech

Nice to hear Ni No Kuni's doing solid. Hope more classic-style JRPGs will come down the pipeline.

DmC...Enslaved all over again.

Kusagari

Unless Dead Space 3 debuted with considerably higher numbers than DS2 it's possible MGR sold less than DmC.

FE didn't chart with 117k and MGR is at #5. We know DmC did between 187-200k.

Five through 10 would have to be extraordinarily close for it to have sold less.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
See, they'll be fine. Anyone who was expecting NT to fold after DmC for penance is going to be disappointed.

I'm not sure anyone thinks they'll fold. This industry is a huge collection of poor decision makers. They just continually make bomb after bomb.

I bet Square Enix is trying to get them to do a Brave Fencer Musashi reboot now!

To be fair, so was DMC4. I think Capcom was right in trying to inject new life into the IP but they just went about it the wrong way.

what? Dmc4 had its share of faults but it's beyond DmC. Not even in the same ballpark. More like canyons apart from each other.

Ninja theory can only dream of designing a game of DMC4 quality. And that game was released in 2008 for god sake

ezekial45

Banned
There's only one person in this thread who has hated on DmC, and as far as I can tell she was never a fan of the franchise in the first place.

I'm speaking in general, but her earlier comments about how publishers should stop giving NT work was a pretty shitty thing to say. In my opinion.

Honestly, this overreaction from DMC fans about DmC is asinine as it is insulting. DmC is by no means a "garbage" game.

Seriously, grow up.

Seriously, let it go.

And yes, publishers should stop giving ninja theory AAA work. They should move into Downloadable and mobile development, where they can experiment more with their style of storytelling and have to worry less about gameplay.

I could see them making the next Flower, Journey or Flow. But they aren't going to make a blockbuster, nor are they ever going to create a game with a huge following. Time to pack it up and try something else.

Averon

I've asked this before, but how many bombs does Ninja Theory need to make before pubs stop giving them work? Far better developers died that didn't do nearly as badly as Ninja Theory does. 3 AAA games from 3 different publishers (Sony, Namco, and now Capcom). All of them a bomb. Despite that NT still seems to get work. I can't explain it.

I'm not sure anyone thinks they'll fold. This industry is a huge collection of poor decision makers. They just continually make bomb after bomb.

I bet Square Enix is trying to get them to do a Brave Fencer Musashi reboot now!

heavens no!!!! I loved that game. Don't let this ever be true.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'm still shocked at the PoR/RD numbers. Goddamn. At least the future's looking bright.
Too be fair, PoR was screwed over by being a Gamecube game and RD got screwed over due to the circumstances of its release.

Plus handheld FEs just seem to do better! (good luck FExSMT)

Are fire emblem sales good? I know it was hard to find in the US, do you think that affected the sales significantly, and could that momentum be maintained until more stock comes?
Very good. And I think it'll do well in the long run (the more reprints Nintendo feels justified in making, the better).

If they put more effort in marketing Tales it would do better. They seem to be putting more effort in Xillia than Graces F. They even played Xillia's opening in Times Square.

Its like... they're learning or something!

BadAss2961

Well, they do have multiple new projects going, and this tweet was from March 8th (well after sales were known).

ninjatheoryprojectscxkb4.jpg
Ugh... I just hope they're new IPs. Please leave DMC alone.

I'd welcome Heavenly Sword 2, but I doubt Sony would put money behind them again.

I've asked this before, but how many bombs does Ninja Theory need to make before pubs stop giving them work? Far better developers died that didn't do nearly as badly as Ninja Theory does. 3 AAA games from 3 different publishers (Sony, Namco, and now Capcom). All of them a bomb. Despite that NT still seems to get work. I can't explain it.

the power and charm of tameem!

Dysun

I feel like the sales of DmC and MGR are representative of the amount of gamers still interested in those kind of action games. It's too bad they cant find a bigger audience

~ZIO~

Neo Member
Honestly, this overreaction from DMC fans about DmC is asinine as it is insulting. DmC is by no means a "garbage" game.

Seriously, grow up.

I feel the same way.

If folks want to lash out on something, let it be on something that actually is bad, like Call of Duty. This reaction is unwarranted and immature.

Mileena

Banned

Some people get to keep making bombas forever. Tim Schafer is a bomba making machine yet he keeps going like nothing ever happened.

Top Bottom