• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

iammeiam

· During the month of January, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: “Call of Duty: Black Ops,” “Dead Space 2,”“Dance Central,” and “Kinect Sports.” (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

So Top 10 By SKU must include:
CoD:BO 360
Just Dance
DS2 360
LBP2
Dance Central
Kinect Sports

It most likely also includes:
CoD:BO PS3
DS2 PS3

It does not include:
NBA 2K11 360
AC:B 360
Zumba Fitness: 360

This is like a puzzle with most of the pieces missing.

apana

Damn all that tough talk Mattrick was doing during his E3 interview with Geoff really worked out for him. He looks like a winner now.

iammeiam said:
So Top 10 By SKU Must include:
Just Dance
DS2 360
LBP2
Dance Central
Kinect Sports

DS2 PS3

It does not Include:
NBA 2K11 360

Zumba Wii?

FrankT

jvm said:
Posted yet?

Surprised by that number. Wasn't sure if they would manage the stock or not to make it, and their silence to this point in such a slow month. Usually they are way ahead of the game. Second half of the month I did start to see all SKUs showing up at Target and BB however. Good start for the year.

apana said:
Damn all that tough talk Mattrick was doing during his E3 interview with Geoff really worked out for him. He looks like a winner now.

They had nothing to worry about in the holidays to be sure. I've searched for that pic, but failed to find it. Anybody have it handy...

Rolf NB

TheUnknownForce said:
They said it was the highest selling console of the month. That could mean DS outsold it, though.
No. MS isn't one to let such an opportunity slip. It definitely, certainly, absolutely does mean that the DS outsold it.

Jtyettis said:
Surprised by that number. Wasn't sure if they would manage the stock or not to make it, and their silence to this point in such a slow month. Usually they are way ahead of the game. Second half of the month I did start to see all SKUs showing up at Target and BB however. Good start for the year.

They're too busy readying games for the next week.

Canova

Banned
speculawyer said:
Dancing is in!

02. Just Dance 2 (WII) Ubisoft
05. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (WII, 360, PS3) Majesco
08. Dance Central (360) MTV Games
09. Michael Jackson The Experience* (WII, DS, PSP) Ubisoft

goddamn hipsters

FrankT

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
They're too busy readying games for the next week.

One would hope and get on letting the world know when this event is all going down from someone actually from MS.

Dance the new RB/GH gen confirmed.

iammeiam

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Zumba Wii?

Was Zumba Wii new last month, with the others being old, or did I miss a press thing about it? I have absolutely no idea what's up with that title, so I don't really know what the expected sales split would be there.

Kenka said:
Mmmmmh....

So what are we supposed to do without numbers ? Sit down and jerk off ?
only when they're broken down into platforms and your console of choice wins 2:1. . .
Patriotsbball5460 said:
Would be interested to see what the Dead Space 2 sales split between PS3/360 was given that the PS3 had the exclusive Dead Space: Extraction packed in
You and I both know those numbers will never be released.

Wow, that's a big jump for 360. More interested in the February numbers though because that's when Kinect started to fall off in the UK and retailer sales charts.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Mrbob said:
No Kinect numbers released by MS for the month. Interesting.
Or any other month..

Will be interesting to see if MS can keep the positive growth going next month. They had a very good February last year (for some unknown reason).

Jtyettis said:

same...there are no 360s anywhere, especially the stand-alone 4 GB versions.

This is all Kinect and 250 GB versions

canova said:
goddamn hipsters

Don't be such a douche. I hate hipster haters who don't even have an idea what a hipster really is.

Hipsters wouldn't touch that shit, with the exception of Michael Jackson, everyone likes Michael.

apana said:
U78hW.png

'NUFF SAID

FrankT

a Master Ninja said:
U78hW.png

'NUFF SAID

Yea that one, heh.

Nirolak said:
Nintendo is pretty slow but reliable and Sony never announces theirs.

I saw a lot of $179 all month on the black Wii bundle. It has been pretty much that way since BF. Like it has had it's own little price drop all along. Wii numbers should be interesting.

apana

Karma said:
Surprised at the PS3 being down year on year with LBP2 and all those $50 Gift Card offers.

PS3 need to get an actual price drop to $250. That seems like the sweet spot to me. Nintendo was smart to price the 3DS starting at that much.

Dead Space 2 did well, LBP2 did about what I expected.... I really wish we could get single-platform numbers, but wow at all the dance games, I wonder if that genre will maintain its legs or not.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
EviLore said:
Hardware:

Xbox 360 - 381,000 (+15%) [Only console platform to see year over year growth]
Last year numbers:

PlayStation 3 276.9K
Xbox 360 332.8K
Wii 465.8K

Gorki247

godhandiscen said:
So if the 360 is the only platform to see yoy growth, then it beat the PS3 and it could be close to the Wii. Last year numbers:

PlayStation 3 276.9K
Xbox 360 332.8K
Wii 465.8K
It beat the Wii too going by the PR, so that must mean the Wii has dropped YoY by at least 18%

GhaleonEB

Sai-kun said:
Yeah, right, hipsters. Whatever you say, dude. Rofl.
Only hipsters dance. I thought this was well established.
godhandiscen said:
So if the 360 is the only platform to see yoy growth, then it beat the PS3 and it could be close to the Wii. Last year numbers:

PlayStation 3 276.9K
Xbox 360 332.8K
Wii 465.8K

So the Wii is down at least 18% YoY.

Curufinwe

apana said:
PS3 need to get an actual price drop to $250. That seems like the sweet spot to me. Nintendo was smart to price the 3DS starting at that much.

Sony is getting a poor enough return from PS3s sold in the US as it is given the weakness of the American dollar versus the Yen.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
It's ahead of the Wii, read Microsoft's PR.
Yeah, I didn't catch that. MS has some mad momentum going in for them.

apana

Jtyettis said:
Wii must have been down a good bit with 465k last year.

Being out of the porting umbrella of PS3/360/PC has really hurt them. I'm surprised that they have sold as much as they actually have for the year if you take that into consideration. They can hold down the fort for one more holiday and then Wii 2 needs to show up.

Meier

iammeiam said:
So Top 10 By SKU must include:
Just Dance
DS2 360
LBP2
Dance Central
Kinect Sports

DS2 PS3

It does not include:
NBA 2K11 360

Or when you remove PC version sales from DC, maybe it falls out of the top 10.

onipex

FoneBone said:
Just Dance 2 clearly having insane legs, Epic Mickey clearly not.

Zumba in the top 10 is the weirdest part.

Zumba is very popular. The Wii is very popular. Dance and fitness games
are very popular.

Top Bottom