• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

Guys, here, look at this:

December 2010 NPD
Nintendo DS - 2.5 Million
Wii - 2.36 Million
Xbox 360 - 1.86 Million
PS3 - 1.21 Million

January 2011 Microsoft PR:
· Total retail spend on Xbox 360 topped $551 million, making it the top selling console platform for the 10th month in a row. (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

---

In short:
Microsoft got outsold in December 2010, but suddenly they have the top selling platform 10 months in a row?

That is what I believe gahigg is referring to.

RedStep

Sohter.Nura said:
But then again, they could have also said "Total units of XBOX 360 sold in January were blaziblazanumbers, making it the best selling platform of the month"

If they had sold more units of hardware, wouldn't this be the way they would have put it?

The 360 has a higher retail price SKU (which I believe is the leading sku, right?) and it also has Kinect bundles, so they could have topped Nintendo on revenue but maybe not have outsold in units.

"As I was falling o'er the mountainside, I saw curious tufts of straw. I grasped at them, but could find no purchase."

timetokill said:

December 2010 NPD
Wii - 2.36 Million
Xbox 360 - 1.86 Million
PS3 - 1.21 Million

---

In short:
Microsoft got outsold in December 2010, but suddenly they have the top selling platform 10 months in a row?
silly rabbit, everyone knows Nintendo makes no gaming hardware. :)

KingDizzi said:
I don't know for certain because I don't work in the industry but it seems if a HD game sells about one million a sequel is justified. inFamous 2 immediately comes to mind, the first game sold about a million and now a second is releasing. It's not just that a second one is releasing but rather that just by looking at what we have seen of inFamous 2 the budget seems bigger compared to the first game. Maybe it's just a first party thing though because Sony seem to green light sequels no matter how well the first sells. Uncharted 2 sold more than Killzone 2 yet both look to have got big budgets again for the third games so once a game sells a certain amount we get big budget sequels. Rest is bragging right.

In other cases sales don't make a fuck of a difference, Just Dance 2 looks like it was made in a couple weeks, fun game but damn the production values are horrible.

Well, you could probably also argue that a lot of things from Dead Space 1 can be re-utilized in a sequel. I think it runs on the same engine (I know nothing of programming, though :p ) and it uses a lot of the same art, assets and etc (again, I know nothing of game designing, so take my opinion with a grain of salt).

Basically, Dead Space 1 and 2 feel very much the same game, just slicker and with different areas and etc. So perhaps it would have made sense to make a second game just because the cost for developing it would be lower since there's so much from the first that you can re-utilize.

Again, I know nothing of game design, but that would be my guess =)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
timetokill said:

December 2010 NPD
Wii - 2.36 Million
Xbox 360 - 1.86 Million
PS3 - 1.21 Million

---

In short:
Console platform.

There is 2 different sections in the PR statement. One that is talking about total dollars spent (10 months in a row).

The other seems to be talking about January unit sales.

FrankT

timetokill said:

December 2010 NPD
Wii - 2.36 Million
Xbox 360 - 1.86 Million
PS3 - 1.21 Million

---

In short:

Platform in all dollars across all categories.

user_nat said:
Console platform.

There is 2 different sections in the PR statement. One that is talking about total dollars spent (10 months in a row).

The other seems to be talking about January unit sales.

Bingo.

timetokill said:
That is what I believe gahigg is referring to.

Which means he is simply missing the other part of the PR and MN tweet that puts it pretty plainly.

nib95

Banned
Megadragon15 said:
He may not have been lying, but he also provided no substance to his statement (as in nothing concrete).

So, just to enlighten us, what would your Sony statement have read like? If you were in his shoes of course.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Regardless, why are these companies even talking about the 2005/06 consoles at this point?? The generation is pretty much over. Nintendo 3DS and Sony NGP is where all the action is.

nib95 said:
So, just to enlighten us, what would your Sony statement have read like? If you were in his shoes of course.
I'm not going to entertain this since I don't have his Playstation information (or any information.) lol

Wiseblood

Aaron Greenberg's Twitter said:
Jan #NPD reports Xbox 360 best selling console w/ 381K units only system up YOY - also leading platform on total retail spend

Pretty clear that 360 topped January in both revenue AND total units.

jvm

Gamasutra.
nib95 said:
I would talk about the last thing written on the chalkboard.

Jeels

Gahiggidy said:
Regardless, why are these companies even talking about the 2005/06 consoles at this point?? The generation is pretty much over. Nintendo 3DS and Sony NGP is where all the action is.

The PS3 isn't even sub-300 yet. For some this generation hasn't even started. If it's already over, it has been a completely underwhelming generation.

nib95

Banned
Megadragon15 said:
I'm not going to entertain this since I don't have his information (or any information.) lol

You couldn't really. They do what they can with not so good news or results. Best thing really to come out of this that I can see is solid LBP2 numbers, but otherwise it's relatively bleak.

Gahiggidy said:

I agree.

NPD sucks.

Here's the future:

Wii and 360 sales pretty much equal.

PS3 WW stays pretty close to 360. Neither ever comes near Wii.

Yay sales for the next 2 years these consoles are still on the market. It makes me really sick to think that there will be -another- two years with these same old crappy systems. I'm so warn out on 360 graphics ... i want something new. I want a new online. I want exciting new franchises again. I'm sick of sequel sequel sequel all with the same shitty graphics and shitty story. We're going nowhere fast, next gen is already overdue, it's been 6 years since I bought my Xbox 360! Yawn.

Sorry for the meltdown. I'm at work and I think this is a form of venting how fucking bored I am here. Counting the minutes till I'm off.

Arpharmd B said:
I agree.

NPD sucks.

Here's the future:

Wii and 360 sales pretty much equal.

PS3 WW stays pretty close to 360. Neither ever comes near Wii.

Yay sales for the next 2 years these consoles are still on the market. It makes me really sick to think that there will be -another- two years with these same old crappy systems. I'm so warn out on 360 graphics ... i want something new. I want a new online. I want exciting new franchises again. I'm sick of sequel sequel sequel all with the same shitty graphics and shitty story. We're going nowhere fast, next gen is already overdue, it's been 6 years since I bought my Xbox 360! Yawn.

Sorry for the meltdown. I'm at work and I think this is a form of venting how fucking bored I am here. Counting the minutes till I'm off.

If anything, with more development costs next generation (if we even have a next gen per say), it will be all more about sequels than ever

Jeels said:
The PS3 isn't even sub-300 yet. For some this generation hasn't even started. If it's already over, it has been a completely underwhelming generation.

Well those people are losers. The generation is approaching year 6. It's been a wild ride, but it's pretty apparent it's been slowing, all the big titles are out, there's nothing left except Killzone 4, Gears 4, Halo 27, Call of Dooty 35, and whatever other trash is left. It's time for a new gen.

Sohter.Nura said:
If anything, with more development costs next generation (if we even have a next gen per say), it will be all more about sequels than ever

Nah, it will be more about studio closure and the heads of major western developers bailing out to make iPhone studios (Which is when I will buy an iOS device)

Sohter.Nura said:

At the beginning of the generations, companies take gambles on new IP. Gears was new, Dead Rising and Lost Planet, Dead Space, whatever, just to throw out some examples, of new IP coming out closer to the beginnning of the cycle, when things are fresh and developers aren't scared to try new things.

Sipowicz

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
Just Dance 2 is a monster.

deserves to be. ubisoft came with a fairly original idea for a popular console and put some talent/money behind it

that's why harmonix copied them

verbum

Gahiggidy said:

I have a feeling the NGP will not be out until 2012. Sony has a habit of missing target dates for game hardware.

RedStep

nib95 said:
I would have claimed that we won, with fake numbers and everything. It's better to look positively mad than nebbish.

Alternately, ignoring sales and telling a dirty joke would have been pretty funny too.

Sipowicz

Banned
verbum said:
I have a feeling the NGP will not be out until 2012. Sony has a habit of missing target dates for game hardware.

i actually wouldn't mind a delay if it improved the terrible software lineup they've showed so far

it'll probably be cheaper too

iammeiam

A PR statement being the best a rep can do with the reality of sales numbers does not prevent that PR statement from being sad and pathetic. It's a good effort, just depressing for all involved.

iammeiam said:
A PR statement being the best a rep can do with the reality of sales numbers does not prevent that PR statement from being sad and pathetic. It's a good effort, just depressing for all involved.
indeed. remains odd to see Sony in this place.

Sohter.Nura said:
Do you think it would be even remotely possible that there would not be a next generation?

Lunchbox

Banned
Kafel said:
PhatSaqs said:
22ci2p.jpg
kudo_tsunoda.PNG
takes money to make money bruh
rGhhG.gif

Canova

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . they don't give out much info now.

Also, it was a pretty slow month with only LBP2 and Dead Space being big new entries.

Little Green Yoda said:
Also the NPD thread with the fewest numbers ever. Coincidence? Even the recent NPD threads had some juicy leaks in the first few hours, right?

I think the NPD guys know that we eventually figure out the numbers ourselves

:(

now we'll never know anything till companies earning seasons

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
People lawballing DS2's sales when it could probably be close to/over 600k with just two weeks of sales? If only 5 days are accounted here than I fail to se how that's bad... Iirc DS1 made 370k in its first two weeks, now that was bad.
And the game is selling amazingly good all over Europe, hopefully it'll keep charting.

Kusagari

Little Green Yoda said:
Also the NPD thread with the fewest numbers ever. Coincidence? Even the recent NPD threads had some juicy leaks in the first few hours, right?

There's nothing really to leak. The only thing I really care about seeing are PS3's units sold and the DS2 split between 360/PS3. Just a boring month like most January's.

Kuroyume

Banned
Will be interesting to see what KZ3 does. KZ2 didn't give it a boost despite being a great game. More people have PS3s now. Will the changes they implemented boost sales of the game or console? Matchmaking, low health, and no recoil... Some of the shitty changes that people like. It will be interesting to see.

DMeisterJ

Banned
canova said:
This has to be the deadest NPD thread ever!

No numbers means no interest. I mean, look at the PAL charts thread... It gets top 40 divided by platform and never passes a page or two. Positions without any numbers context are useless. And there are no hardware sales to discuss.

Top Bottom