• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems we have (at least part of) Sony's NPD PR.

Industry Gamers said:
"January’s NPD numbers, reflecting a 25% increase in PS3 software sales, demonstrate continued momentum for the PlayStation ecosystem. As the only system with both stereoscopic 3D and precision motion controlled gaming, PlayStation is delivering a new era of immersive entertainment fueled by the industry’s strongest content lineup. Next week, with the arrival of one of the most anticipated titles of the year, Killzone 3, consumers’ expectations for exhilarating 3D graphics and fast-paced PlayStation Move action will be further elevated in living rooms around the world," said Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA.
Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-we-have-industrys-strongest-content-lineup/

Kafel

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
22ci2p.jpg

kudo_tsunoda.PNG

"Playstation ecosystem" hehe. I always like the colourful terms they come up with for these things. I guess it's not a family anymore?

duk

Banned
Poimandres said:
"Playstation ecosystem" hehe. I always like the colourful terms they come up with for these things. I guess it's not a family anymore?

ecosystem > family

Poimandres said:
It can't be a family if they willingly choose to ignore the PS2 and PSP.

Curufinwe

Megadragon15 said:

It's a family that shipped grandpa and and grandma off to the old folks home and never speaks of them.

Megadragon15 said:

Grandpa PS2 just doesn't have it in him anymore.
Uncle PSP has fallen by the wayside, everyone waiting expectantly for the birth of his son NGP.
Only PS3 stands tall, forced to carry the weight of his family name.

MikeE21286 said:
man, that's hella weak.

Wonder if PS3 gets any bump next month from KZ

When has software ever really given it a bump, besides MGS4 wayyy back in 2007 I can't think of any release that has done that. KZ2 sales were lukewarm at best so I wouldn't expect much.

Arpharmd B said:
When has software ever really given it a bump, besides MGS4 wayyy back in 2007 I can't think of any release that has done that. KZ2 sales were lukewarm at best so I wouldn't expect much.

Yeah, I 100% expect zero bump as well. I just bring it up because it's funny how they bring it up in their PR, yet it will show no noticeable signs of hardware increase as a result of it and probably struggle to beat CoD for the top spot

WarLox

MS said:
Riding the momentum of its biggest year ever, Xbox 360 continued to drive strong console and software sales in the first month of the new year. Sustained consumer demand for Kinect helped propel Xbox 360 as the top selling console in January.

January NPD highlights include:
· Xbox 360 sold 381,000 units in January, up 48,000 units year-over-year. (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

· Xbox 360 is the only console platform to show year-over-year growth in January at 15 percent. (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

· Total retail spend on Xbox 360 topped $551 million, making it the top selling console platform for the 10th month in a row. (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

· During the month of January, four of the top ten console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: “Call of Duty: Black Ops,” “Dead Space 2,”“Dance Central,” and “Kinect Sports.” (Source: NPD Group, January 2011)

Some lingering supply constraints coupled with high consumer demand led to continued pockets of shortages at retail. Microsoft anticipates this trend to improve through February, but will continue to work with retail and manufacturing partners to expedite production and shipments.

liz_lemon_dance.gif

LosDaddie

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
I'd say Mass Effect 2 is an overall better, more varied game than Bioshock, but who can blame PS3-only owners for ignoring it when they are missing half the story and the demo is a turn-off? All the motion comics in the world aren't going to give the Mass Effect franchise a foothold on the PS3 at this point.

eh...I think it's pretty clear that EA/Bioware didn't expect huge sales for ME2 on PS3. They just wanted to set-up a big launch for ME3, with it being on 3 platforms & all.

KingDizzi

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
Yeah, I 100% expect zero bump as well. I just bring it up because it's funny how they bring it up in their PR, yet it will show no noticeable signs of hardware increase as a result of it and probably struggle to beat CoD for the top spot

The PR really does show what a horrible state the PS3 is in NA, it's just that KZ3 is the next notable PS3 exclusive and since they had nothing else positive to say, might as well say something. The PS3 getting a price cut this year is more of a matter of when not if, my guess is that the price cut will come around August time. Just going by what we know Uncharted 3 is the only PS3 exclusive which will probably do 1 million first month, none of the other exclusives will come close so yeah not looking good. :/

Here's to hoping Killzone 3 and inFamous 2 sell well, loved the prior PS3 games and these are looking that bit better.

jett said:
DS2 smells like a relative bomba

I was just thinking about that. I read a few PRs around saying that EA was initially optimistic about the first wave of orders on Dead Space 2, saying that it doubled the first week of Dead Space 1 (i think)

But 425k is hardly impressive D: I'm pretty sure it's higher now, but still...

Dead Space 2 has really high production values and it's hard for me to believe that this covers the entire budget. Sure, it will sell more and it could crack a million in the U.S, but I think we are probably not going to see big budget survival horror games anymore.

It's just too much of a risk, really. It is a good incentive around the crowd who likes horror movies / games, but at the same time it totally shies people over the game, people who would perhaps otherwise buy the game.

I think we will still see horror games around, but they will be have to be trimmed down on their budget.

KingDizzi said:
The PR really does show what a horrible state the PS3 is in NA, it's just that KZ3 is the next notable PS3 exclusive and since they had nothing else positive to say, might as well say something. The PS3 getting a price cut this year is more of a matter of when not if, my guess is that the price cut will come around August time. Just going by what we know Uncharted 3 is the only PS3 exclusive which will probably do 1 million first month, none of the other exclusives will come close so yeah not looking good. :/

Here's to hoping Killzone 3 and inFamous 2 sell well, loved the prior PS3 games and these are looking that bit better.

That's the most frustrating thing for me. I loved Killzone 2 and the first inFamous and will probably love their sequels, but then you see shit like Zumba Fitness in the top 10 making me smh

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Reading between the lines of Microsoft's newsletter it looks like Wii outsold 360 again.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Gahiggidy said:
Reading between the lines of Microsoft's newsletter it looks like Wii outsold 360 again.

It literally says it was the top selling console.

Not sure how you can read between that.

Wiseblood

Gahiggidy said:

Really? Was it somewhere between these lines?

"Riding the momentum of its biggest year ever, Xbox 360 continued to drive strong console and software sales in the first month of the new year. Sustained consumer demand for Kinect helped propel Xbox 360 as the top selling console in January."

Rainier said:

But then again, they could have also said "Total units of XBOX 360 sold in January were blaziblazanumbers, making it the best selling platform of the month"

If they had sold more units of hardware, wouldn't this be the way they would have put it?

The 360 has a higher retail price SKU (which I believe is the leading sku, right?) and it also has Kinect bundles, so they could have topped Nintendo on revenue but maybe not have outsold in units.

As much as EA tried to force that IP into being popular by pumping out companion pieces of media content, they had to have realized that none of the previous DS games have started amazing out of the gate and they shouldnt have expected this one too, but of course they probably did.

They may even blame it on being a January release like Mass Effect 2 which came out of the gate way lower than its predecessor and never caught up.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
They are talking about top selling as in Dollar Sales. When the state unit sales, they make no mention of "top-selling".

AwShucks

Sohter.Nura said:
I was just thinking about that. I read a few PRs around saying that EA was initially optimistic about the first wave of orders on Dead Space 2, saying that it doubled the first week of Dead Space 1 (i think)

Dead Space 2 has really high production values and it's hard for me to believe that this covers the entire budget. Sure, it will sell more and it could crack a million in the U.S, but I think we are probably not going to see big budget survival horror games anymore.

It's just too much of a risk, really. It is a good incentive around the crowd who likes horror movies / games, but at the same time it totally shies people over the game, people who would perhaps otherwise buy the game.

I think we will still see horror games around, but they will be have to be trimmed down on their budget.

Dead Space 1 sold what, like 350k units in its first 2 weeks of sales? Dead Space 2 sales 425k in 5 days and people consider that bad? Relatively speaking it seems pretty good for EA.

Gamer @ Heart said:
As much as EA tried to force that IP into being popular by pumping out companion pieces of media content, they had to have realized that none of the previous DS games have started amazing out of the gate and they shouldnt have expected this one too, but of course they probably did.

They may even blame it on being a January release like Mass Effect 2 which came out of the gate way lower than its predecessor and never caught up.

Their marketing campaign was horrible. I love Dead Space 2 but the "mom hates Dead Space 2" campaign was just.... terrible.

FrankT

Gahiggidy said:
They are talking about top selling as in Dollar Sales. When the state unit sales, they make no mention of "top-selling".

What in the world are you talking about;

majornelson Jan #NPD reports Xbox 360 best selling console w/ 381K units only system up YOY

Wiseblood said:
. Sustained consumer demand for Kinect helped propel Xbox 360 as the top selling console in January."

There is nothing to be confused about here. If the Wii outsold it in units believe me we would have heard by now.

Why For? said:
So does that mean the 360 was first 7 out of 8 months? wow if so.

Since the slim yes that is the case. Home consoles anyways.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Why For? said:
So does that mean the 360 was first 7 out of 8 months? wow if so.
Don't think anyone would have guessed that this time last year.

Although the increase of the 360 isn't the only reason it is on top. The drop of the Wii is just as important.

KingDizzi

Banned
Sohter.Nura said:

I don't know for certain because I don't work in the industry but it seems if a HD game sells about one million a sequel is justified. inFamous 2 immediately comes to mind, the first game sold about a million and now a second is releasing. It's not just that a second one is releasing but rather that just by looking at what we have seen of inFamous 2 the budget seems bigger compared to the first game. Maybe it's just a first party thing though because Sony seem to green light sequels no matter how well the first sells. Uncharted 2 sold more than Killzone 2 yet both look to have got big budgets again for the third games so once a game sells a certain amount we get big budget sequels. Rest is bragging right.

In other cases sales don't make a fuck of a difference, Just Dance 2 looks like it was made in a couple weeks, fun game but damn the production values are horrible.

Sohter.Nura said:

I think that the collective failure that is the Dead Space franchise is based on its setting. I just don't think the majority of gamers want to play a game set in that world.

Top Bottom