• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

Calamari41

41 > 38
I remember somebody lecturing everyone in the last thread, certain that Splatoon would be lucky to sell 30k or something this month.

Who was it? Show yourself!

JeffGrubb

One more NPD quote that I paraphrased:
"The NPD also points out that hardware sales have changed compared to last year. In June 2014, only 35 percent of all console sales were bundled with a game. That’s opposed to June 2015, where bundles made up 82 percent of all hardware sales."

Crayolan

Why are people impressed with Splatoon sales? there is no real competitor from 6-10 that you can be impressed Splatoon came above it.

Because it's new IP exclusive to Wii U.

Last month people were swearing up and down it wouldn't chart in June and that there was no way it'd outsell May.

Ridley327

I think Splatoon got around 400-450k in June when digital is taken into account. I think the real question is if it charts next month's NPD, which will confirm that the Splatoon tentacles have spread from Japan and have infected other places.

On one hand, it's a hell of a light month for big releases, with PGA Tour being the only remotely major one (and even then...), flanked by the God of War 3 remaster and Godzilla.

On the other hand, it's July, which stopped being a significant month for hardware when NCAA Football died.

ascii42

Which generally sells more in a year (in North America), Madden or NBA 2K? I always considered Madden like the biggest sports game of the year, but NBA seems to hang around these charts longer.

NBA has a longer season, and most of the NFL's is during a more crowded time of year.

sense

remember, batman sales don't include digital so they did really well with that game!! plus the ridiculous pricing for the season pass, they are making bank

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
400K in June for the PS4 would be comparable to how the Xbox 360 did after 2009 (kinect). It's possible but I doubt it too.

Sort of as unlikely as the XB1 getting 300k huh?

At least in the US with MGSV and Destiny releasing so close together. They probably feel a Destiny Bundle will give them a bigger boost in sales. You could argue anyone who is going to play MGSV on PS4 already has one.

That would be a poor argument. I would think they would bundle it even if it isn't the limited edition.

Destiny is hot choice though unfortunately(an expansion shouldn't get a bundle over a new game).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

wow, well it kinda makes sense. Last year was first summer for both consoles. It was the HOT thing. Now its not a new thing anymore, they need to discount it, bundle it etc.

I am still surprised how expensive the PS4 is here in Canada.

as for NDP results, its as expected. Though xbox one number is definitely higher than I imagined. Makes PS4 even higher.

Ridley327

No surprise there: there isn't a single Xbox One or Wii U that doesn't come with at least one game right now (even the Kinect bundle comes with Dance Central), and naked PS4s seem to be difficult to come by these days, with TLOU and Batman bundles being the bulk of what's out on the shelves.

border

Why is SCEA skipping the MGSV limited console when their Destiny and Batman ones seemed to have sold really well? I couldn't see Konami stopping it from happening.
At this point Destiny is the bigger franchise, and they probably only want to do one bundle a month.

I'm really not getting why some think backwards compatibility will make much of a difference in terms of sales. It'll barely be a blip on the radar. People will be buying XB1s for CoD, Battlefront, AC and other big third party titles this holiday. Not to play some old ass games.

Anyway, I don't think PS4 sold 400k this month. Probably around 380k.

Boke1879

That would be a poor argument. I could type of bundle even if it isn't the limited edition.

Destiny is hot choice though unfortunately(an expansion shouldn't get a bundle over a new game).

At least it has a bundle in the EU and who knows. They could easily do a pack in bundle.

Mr Moose

Well hopefully that squashes the "parity" bullshit we had last year when MSFT was marketing it.

Help me, Ubi-Soft Kenobi, you're my only hope.

I hope so, I enjoyed Black Flag, I cancelled my pre-order when I heard about the parity crap with Unity.

Hold up wait a minute! You mean to tell me that PS4 sold more Arkham knight copies when XB was giving away a free copy with every purchase.

NnoGhN1.gif

cakely

The Xbox One did really good. Lower price is the way to go for them. GAP <100k this month for PS4 would be rather poor.

hopefully we get confirmation on the XB1 sales numbers and the gap.

The Xbox did really good, but the other console, the one that sold more than it, did rather poorly.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Every game publisher: Wow, games in June did amazing this year!

*Summer 2016*

Every game publisher: Eh, let's not release in summer if we can help it. Now September, let's pack everything in there.

The #12 game in November is more than likely going to outsell the #2 game in June in any year. That's why.

Of course, there are many who haven't upgraded from the 360 yet, keeping their library will provide more incentive. Especially if they were Halo fans with Halo 5 coming this holiday.

In a perfect universe. In real life only a fraction of their library is compatible on the 360.

I think a lot of the sales are actually coming from parents who happily buy the cheapest console. See how XB1 leads with Minecraft and Lego Jurassic park?

At this point Destiny is the bigger franchise, and they probably only want to do one bundle a month.

At least in the US with MGSV and Destiny releasing so close together. They probably feel a Destiny Bundle will give them a bigger boost in sales. You could argue anyone who is going to play MGSV on PS4 already has one.

Makes sense, but wouldn't the people who want the Destiny expansion already own a PS4? At least MGSV is a new game.

Lucreto

Do we have any idea on Sony's numbers? Xbox nearly did 300k, how much more did Sony do. The gap might not be very large.

Kayant

Of course, there are many who haven't upgraded from the 360 yet, keeping their library will provide more incentive. Especially if they were Halo fans with Halo 5 coming this holiday.

To some degree. Not big, but not small either.

I can't see it because of this I mean something along the lines has to be there right? -
They'd have to put a pretty big asterisk saying not all 360 games are backwards compatible.

I don't see nostalgia being a big seller to the mass market.

A_Gorilla

Banned
The Xbox did really good, but the other console, the one that sold more than it, did rather poorly.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

For some reason I'm reminded of the 2010 World Cup when the US tied with England. Everyone treated it as if the US had scored some major upset...

Toki767

Free copy was a choice of any retail game.
To be fair they did it the week of release so they obviously expected everyone to get Batman but they couldn't outright say they were giving away Batman because that would break marketing agreements.

Top Bottom