• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

Occam

Honestly, Microsoft should put "Backwards Compatibility" on the boxes for all new systems

Honestly, that would be quite dishonest, considering that Xbone isn't backwards compatible. You can play some 360 games on it, which you also need to download in full. You can't just insert any 360 disc and start playing.

The Greenberg is strong in you.

Batman Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid V, Battlefront, Assassins Creed Syndicate and Black Ops 3... No wonder they think exclusives aren't needed for fall. Halo 5 and Uncharted 4 are the only games that would have an actual chance of doing well around them.

I don't think Sony will get completely trampled this Holiday.

Best wishes.

noshten

On one hand, it's a hell of a light month for big releases, with PGA Tour being the only remotely major one (and even then...), flanked by the God of War 3 remaster and Godzilla.

On the other hand, it's July, which stopped being a significant month for hardware when NCAA Football died.

Major games on the Wii U are all about their lifetime performance - not what is sold in the first month. If it is able to maintain it's place in the chart it will confirm that we should expect it to continue leaving it's ink trail.

There is a thread with a lot of doubters, but it seems Splatoon is on track to shatter even my prediction.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039957

Eggbok

dOm2MyO.gif

Good month all around.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Makes sense, but wouldn't the people who want the Destiny expansion already own a PS4? At least MGSV is a new game.

Activision and Sony seem to be marketing it almost like a re-launch. Which makes sense since game will finally be the content rich version the original launch should have been.

Bloodrage

Banned
Honestly, Microsoft should put "Backwards Compatibility" on the boxes for all new systems
And then face an outrage when people realize the truth? You can't just play any 360 game on Xbone.

Either way, I think people overestimate the effect B/C would have on sales. "Play old games" isn't something most people care about these days.

BriGuy

The most surprising thing mentioned in this release was Arkham City releasing in 2011.

It sure as hell doesn't feel like it's been 4 years.

Welfare

June was actually a really good month for the Xbox One and PS4, with both looking to be double that of what they did in May.

Mahonay

Banned
Do we have any idea on Sony's numbers? Xbox nearly did 300k, how much more did Sony do. The gap might not be very large.
If you actually read other posts you'd see the part where that's already been answered a few times in this thread.

Sony never posts their monthly NPD numbers.

TomShoe

Banned
Honestly, that would be quite dishonest, considering that Xbone isn't backwards compatible. You can play some 360 games on it, which you also need to download in full. You can't just insert any 360 disc and start playing.

The Greenberg is strong in you.

There's a difference between what companies want you to think, and the actual truth. As long as they're not outright lying, I expect Microsoft to market this heavily to uninformed consumers, especially those with 360s.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
At least in the US with MGSV and Destiny releasing so close together. They probably feel a Destiny Bundle will give them a bigger boost in sales. You could argue anyone who is going to play MGSV on PS4 already has one.

The opposite is more likely to be true considering Destiny was what, the 2nd best selling game for PS4 last year (behind COD) and Taken King is an expansion. Destiny is a bigger franchise than MGS and being T rated is a bonus.

shandy706

Hold up wait a minute! You mean to tell me that PS4 sold more Arkham knight copies when XB was giving away a free copy with every purchase.

goingtobegood.gif

What's going to be good?

If I had bought an X1, I wouldn't have picked AK. It wasn't a specific bundle ;).

Also, larger install base...durrrr

B4s5C

Hope Splatoon keeps selling. Disappointing Wii U sales though :(

Maybe Mario Maker will give a little bit of a bump.

ascii42

There's a difference between what companies want you to think, and the actual truth. As long as they're not outright lying, I expect Microsoft to market this heavily to uninformed consumers, especially those with 360s.

Ah, yes, the wonderful asterisk.

Kayant

For the mass market I think it's more along the lines of only needing one system hooked up to the TV and being able to get rid of the old system.

Hmm... My mindset around this is that majority of these people would be your yearly sports, shooter gamers that just want to play with their friends and game online which they can do on their current console but if convinced to upgrade they will have all they need with their new system.

Toki767

It will be a small asterisk and disclaimer saying not all games are compatible if they do it. Which I hope they don't because I don't want casual consumers getting fooled.

Boke1879

Batman Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid V, Battlefront, Assassins Creed Syndicate and Black Ops 3... No wonder they think exclusives aren't needed for fall. Halo 5 and Uncharted 4 are the only games that would have an actual chance of doing well around them.

I don't think Sony will get completely trampled this Holiday.

Best wishes.

MS had a great holiday because the system was $350 and they gave away AC and COD for free. Amazing deal.

This year Sony has partnered with some strong 3rd party games that will no doubt get bundles. COD, AC, Battlefront, and honestly. Even a game like Fallout which is being tied to Xbox could possible sell more on PS4. Seeing as most software is selling on PS4.

Someone is comparing November and June sales from the last ten years right now. You know that, right?

Yeah. I believe that last year, Dragon Age: Inquisition barely missed the top 10 November NPD chart, and I'd be willing to bet that it outsold every game this June that wasn't Arkham Knight.

"The report revealed that Arkham Knight is the second best-selling game of 2015 behind Mortal Kombat X, and first if hardware bundles are included. Arkham Knight exceeded sales of 2011's Batman: Arkham City. Additionally, the NPD report notes that the PlayStation 4 version of Arkham Knight "had the highest sales for a single SKU across any Batman game since NPD has been tracking the industry."

In a statement to GameSpot, Nintendo reported that Mario Kart 8 has continued to do well, selling over 2 million units in the United States since its release last year. Splatoon sold 290,000 copies in June in the U.S. and 455,000 units total since it launched in May.

NPD reported that physical game sales were up year-over-year, too, with June 2015 having 18 percent higher sales than June 2014.

Warner Bros. Interactive remains the top publisher in 2015, with 217 percent greater sales this year than in the first half of 2014. It has published Dying Light, The Witcher 3, Mortal Kombat X, and Batman: Arkham Knight so far this year.

NPD also revealed that the PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console of the month, due in large part to the PS4's Arkham Knight bundle.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-knight-the-elder-scrolls-online-top-/1100-6428962/

Arkham Knight doing really well and those Splatoon legs.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't see nostalgia being a big seller to the mass market.

Which is why remakes are doing so bad ;)

But no, it's not really about nostalgia -- it's more about value/bang for your buck; Parents still ask the "Can this play the old games?" question in stores because they don't want the money they spent in the past to be "wasted".

gtj1092

shit, I remember the May NPD with all the doubts and doom about Splatoon lol

Do you also remember all the hyperbole about how much it sold before we got official numbers? There is always two sides to a coin. Let's not pretend there aren't just as many people vocal about splatoons success. Which you realize is just a Wii U level success considering in 2 weeks in the US alone batman has out sold it world wide.

ZhugeEX

Banned
PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system install base in the USA is now over 8 million.

At the same point in time the PS3 hadn't even reached 5 million.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It will be a small asterisk and disclaimer saying not all games are compatible if they do it. Which I hope they don't because I don't want casual consumers getting fooled.

Oh you know they will. Just like all those casuals who think that cool HoloLens thingy will be Minecrafting away very soon too.

Boke1879

The opposite is more likely to be true considering Destiny was what, the 2nd best selling game for PS4 last year (behind COD) and Taken King is an expansion. Destiny is a bigger franchise than MGS and being T rated is a bonus.

I think with the Destiny bundle being a LE ps4 console it could be current owners buying that model as well.

Like I said I'm sure Sony could still do a pack in the MGSV.

XB1 and PS4 both doing ~300k (or more) seems like a pretty good month, all things considered. Most surprised to see Elder Scrolls Online charted that high. The thirst for MMORPGs on consoles must be considerable; I suppose it makes sense on the XB1 in particular, considering it doesn't even have FFXIV.

etta

my hard graphic balls
In a perfect universe. In real life only a fraction of their library is compatible on the 360.

I think a lot of the sales are actually coming from parents who happily buy the cheapest console. See how XB1 leads with Minecraft and Lego Jurassic park?

Backwards compatibility is precisely why those parents will look to upgrade 360 -> One and not 360 -> PS4, assuming PS4 and One are both equal prices, maybe both will be 300-350$ during Black Friday. The first thing my dad thought about when getting my 8 year old brother a Wii U was what he was going to do with all those Wii games, because he had a whole bookshelf full of them. Then he found out that the Wii U was backwards compatible, and he was relieved a bit.

GeoramA

Guess Sony's gonna ride the Batman bundle until the new Destiny bundle.

July, August, and September look like wins for PS4. October will be interesting, obviously. If PS4 gets its first official price-drop, that's the month to do it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Do you also remember all the hyperbole about how much it sold before we got official numbers? There is always two sides to a coin. Let's not pretend there aren't just as many people vocal about splatoons success. Which you realize is just a Wii U level success considering in 2 weeks in the US alone batman has out sold it world wide.

Not surprising considering we are talking about an exclusive vs. a multiplat (on systems with much better sales).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
"The report revealed that Arkham Knight is the second best-selling game of 2015 behind Mortal Kombat X, and first if hardware bundles are included. Arkham Knight exceeded sales of 2011's Batman: Arkham City. Additionally, the NPD report notes that the PlayStation 4 version of Arkham Knight "had the highest sales for a single SKU across any Batman game since NPD has been tracking the industry."

In a statement to GameSpot, Nintendo reported that Mario Kart 8 has continued to do well, selling over 2 million units in the United States since its release last year. Splatoon sold 290,000 copies in June in the U.S. and 455,000 units total since it launched in May.

NPD reported that physical game sales were up year-over-year, too, with June 2015 having 18 percent higher sales than June 2014.

Warner Bros. Interactive remains the top publisher in 2015, with 217 percent greater sales this year than in the first half of 2014. It has published Dying Light, The Witcher 3, Mortal Kombat X, and Batman: Arkham Knight so far this year.

NPD also revealed that the PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console of the month, due in large part to the PS4's Arkham Knight bundle.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-knight-the-elder-scrolls-online-top-/1100-6428962/

How much did Splatoon sell back in May?

phanphare

Banned
That post + that name = comedy gold.

tumblr_nqbv2bLhtf1ux0cuco1_250.png

stay fresh out there yall

ummmm, no? can you point out some examples because I'm not sure they actually exist. even the most optimistic sales estimates for splatoon have already been surpassed

M.D

Do we have PS3/360 numbers for AC?

Kayant

On marketing the Backwards Compatibility they could just do something like -
Play hundreds of your Xbox 360 games*

That would likely work as most people don't read the fine print.
Including me

ascii42

Hmm... My mindset around this is that majority of these people would be your yearly sports, shooter gamers that just want to play with their friends and game online which they can do on their current console but if convinced to upgrade they will have all they need with their new system.

Yeah. There are definitely those. I was thinking more along the lines of a family with one in the living room. But the same can hold true for your type too, if they play non-annual multiplayer games. Like Halo 3 came out 2 years after the 360, so being able to play Halo 2 on it was great.

graywolf323

kinda expected Batman to lead on Xbox One just because bundle sales aren't counted towards that (like what happened with Destiny)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system install base in the USA is now over 8 million.

At the same point in time the PS3 hadn't even reached 5 million.

Consoles were a mistake, they're nothing but trash.

Thanks. Of course I have to ask about it vs the Wii....

You know I have to...

Please.

Top Bottom