• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

wapplew

Yeah, maybe MCC did damage the brand more than what I thought.

But I was thinking about it and personally to me seems like MS hyped and invested much more on Titanfall last year (With the infamous "Did you see Titanfall?") than in Halo 5.

Maybe because Titanfall was a press darling and owned all that awards.

Back then, MS still has hope to be market leader so they put lots of effort into Titanfall, now they just try to make as much money as they can.
Totally different vibe.

oSoLucky

Titanfall was a new IP, it needed the marketing. Microsoft was probably expecting to just coast on the name Halo used to have.

AC sure, but it's been 3 years since a mainline Halo game, it's not like they're pumping those games out. The past few Halo games have been relatively divisive, MCC was the straw that broke 343's back.

Think about how some people complain about too much Mario, when in reality not many mainline ones are released. Halo Wars, MCC, ODST, all those I believe can attribute to fatigue.

QaaQer

Can somebody explain to me why Fallout sells so great? I've never been interested in the franchise, so I'm not familiar with its history.

Three theories:

1-New Vegas was amazing & the best shandified game ever, which millions played for hundreds of hours and f4 is reaping the benefits of that.

2-People liked the you-are-god-and-jesus rpg lite Skyrim a whole bunch, and f4 is reaping the benefits of that.

3-A bit of 1 and a bit of 2.

Bgamer90

Banned
the hypocrisy is clear to see for everyone so I am not going to bother with another long explanation.

I've explained each post that you've brought up. Not sure how it's hypocrisy. Seems like you're simply saying that because you can't come up with anything else to say (and are giving up).

you are just dancing around your comments saying you didn't mean this or you didn't mean that.

You took many of those posts out of their context either using them to try and state how I felt the game would help October system sales (when yet I was clearly referring to the Holiday season) or to try and say that I was expecting a 2:1 by bringing up how MGS4 helped PS3 sales and I wasn't -- I simply brought that up since I (at the time) expected the Xbox One to do better than the PS4 during the month Halo released.

i am sure it is sometimes nice to given open ended vague silly predictions like halo 5 will move some consoles or uncharted 4 will sell some consoles!!!! the point is you expected more from halo 5 the game and halo 5 the system seller and neither happened

I did expect a bigger impact from both but I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said about Uncharted 4 helping PS4 sales in March -- that's what started our discussion right?

As I said before, I was referring to the Holiday season as a whole in those posts you dug up from the past (haha). November and December results/stats aren't out yet since the month isn't over.

Halo 5 did help sell systems since it helped the XB1 sell more than the PS4 (NPD), something it rarely does. The same was true for MGS4's launch and the PS3 last gen (vs. 360). So I'm not sure I understand your push for a "gotcha!" moment considering that what I said in that post actually happened.

ironcreed

Banned
Neither console sold like shit, sales were normal for 4 and up for 1.

The bolded is why you sound persecuted and fanboyish. If that is truly how you feel, then maybe it is time for a bit of self reflection. Gaf isn't sonyland or whatever with an agenda, it is just people.

Well, it did at first, lol. But since I can see why Halo dropping off is such a hot topic and I did not dispute that. Anyway, I guess I will go cry myself to sleep with my Xbox One now.

qKSn2LB-Imgur.gif

Jesus.

HokieJoe

So, what are the conclusions that everyone can agree on?

Both X1 and PS4 sold below expectations, and Sony should be especially disappointed that the price drop wasn't enough to sell more hardware than Microsoft? Despite getting pretty close?

The console army should nuke the mobile phone play-toy gaming army from space?

Bgamer90

Banned
I feel like a post apocalyptic wasteland and you with some guns fighting zombie-like creatures and mutants is also more accessible to mainstream gamers than wizards throwing fireballs at dragons like Skyrim.

This is definitely true for me. Far more interested in Fallout's setting/world than Skyrim's. I never had a great interest in the Middle Ages period to be honest.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Titanfall was a new IP, it needed the marketing. Microsoft was probably expecting to just coast on the name Halo used to have.

AC sure, but it's been 3 years since a mainline Halo game, it's not like they're pumping those games out. The past few Halo games have been relatively divisive, MCC was the straw that broke 343's back.

And Titanfall launched at a period where XB1 was in a much worse place (sales and mindshare wise).

It's very interesting to compare all the climate that accompanied Halo 3 and now Halo 5.

Can somebody explain to me why Fallout sells so great? I've never been interested in the franchise, so I'm not familiar with its history.
Smart business calls. Oblivion did great so Bethesda rode that wave and created a hefty fanbase with Fallout 3. Add New Vegas and Skyrim to the mix and you've got Fallout 4 cleaning house.

wapplew

Three theories:

1-New Vegas was amazing & the best shandified game ever, which millions played for hundreds of hours and f4 is reaping the benefits of that.

2-People liked the you-are-god-and-jesus rpg lite Skyrim a whole bunch, and f4 is reaping the benefits of that.

3-A bit of 1 and a bit of 2.

Also, no one really provide similar experience therefor less competition.

QaaQer

And Titanfall launched at a period where XB1 was in a much worse place (sales and mindshare wise).

It's very interesting to compare all the climate that accompanied Halo 3 and now Halo 5.

Am I wrong in thinking titanfall had more marketing. I seem to remember more, like that giant mech in a Berlin subway.

oSoLucky

Am I wrong in thinking titanfall had more marketing. I seem to remember more, like that giant mech in a Berlin subway.

Titanfall absolutely had more marketing. There were commercials, billboards and Internet ads everywhere. The hype machine was in full force until the few days after release when MS and EA said nothing of the sales of the game.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

That's what I'm saying. I remember that the marketing blitz for Titanfall was crazy.

There were ads everywhere, on websites, television, streets.

Maybe Halo was a victim of the holiday season, where the game is going against marketing behemoths fallout, cod and battlefront and MS decided to not spend big bucks trying to promote the game.

kpaadet

This is definitely true for me. Far more interested in Fallout's setting/world than Skyrim's. I never had a great interest in the Middle Ages period to be honest.
Just a heads up if you ever have to take a history test, there weren't dragons and shit around in the Middle Ages :). The fantasy genre is another story.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
October was also a bad month for the packaged console market in the UK with sales 24% down from last year.

Console sales down 20% so far in UK? Even if there have been bundles, soft bundles and deals ofany kind, + PS4's price cut?

This would deserve its own thread,IMHO.

Quote or point out who's salty. As is, you're the only one with your drive-by shitting. Nintendo fan pissed that every other platform is being discussed?
Lol oh wow dude...I've been in the thread. Some of current conversations are clearly on the defensive.

As to the bolded, the fact that Yoshi even charted is great. How am I pissed by any means lol?? Because I joked back at Y2Kev?

So, what are the conclusions that everyone can agree on?

Both X1 and PS4 sold below expectations, and Sony should be especially disappointed that the price drop wasn't enough to sell more hardware than Microsoft? Despite getting pretty close?

Fixed:

"X1 and PS4 sold below unrealistic expectations for October, and Sony shouldn't be surprised that a 50 dollar price drop didn't sell more PS4s, because in a few weeks you can get them for 299 with games included. X1 should be please they sold as many consoles as they did considering that ridiculous 499 price point weeks before the deals kick in".

oSoLucky

Lol oh wow dude...I've been in the thread. Some of current conversations are clearly on the defensive.

As to the bolded, the fact that Yoshi even charted is great. How am I pissed by any means lol?? Because I joked back at Y2Kev?

Because you posted a picture of salty chips saying that's the thread right now, when there have been very few people that could even be construed as salty posting recently.

you know next month isn't all that interesting really, well in term of releases, it's mostly just cod, fallout and battlefront. i mean what else is there in the rustle and bustle that is holiday season?

Not much that will have a sales impact. Certainly not NFS. There's Tomb Raider also.

Back then, MS still has hope to be market leader so they put lots of effort into Titanfall, now they just try to make as much money as they can.
Totally different vibe.
I'm confused. Aren't those aspirations one and the same? You want to be a market leader to make more money. If you're not a market leader, don't you still want to make money? That's generally the vibe of any business that wants to be successful.

If that was true then Sony would cut the price in november. They wanted a effect in october too, but response was disappointing.

Cutting in October makes sense if you want to boost the pre-orders of the bundles for November. The cut for the COD/Battlefront bundles were front and centre in the advertising.

I think November and December will be telling. If sales are still shit, then it might be time to worry a bit. But yes, the numbers don't lie on Halo. Kind of sad, really.

Why is it sad? Are certain IPs entitled to massive sales? It's not a failure, it's just not a juggernaut any more.

Penguin

To take a break from the circular Xbox vs PS4, Halo stuff

And may have been asked/answered, but how did the Toys-to-life segment perform? None of the 3 games are in the Top 10 and remember I think LEGO Dimensions missed Sept as well

Granted, those could be games that sell better on Black Friday while looking for gifts for kids, but has any of the 3 performed decently so far?

DrWong

To take a break from the circular Xbox vs PS4, Halo stuff

And may have been asked/answered, but how did the Toys-to-life segment perform? None of the 3 games are in the Top 10 and remember I think LEGO Dimensions missed Sept as well

Granted, those could be games that sell better on Black Friday while looking for gifts for kids, but has any of the 3 performed decently so far?

Bgamer90

Banned
Just a heads up if you ever have to take a history test, there weren't dragons and shit around in the Middle Ages :). The fantasy genre is another story.

Haha, yes I know. :p

I just meant the style/theme. Never attracted me.

Me not being attracted to it as well as anime plays a big role in why I've never been a huge RPG fan. Pokemon, Kingdom Hearts, Fallout, and Mass Effect is pretty much it for me when it comes to the genre.

Huh? It's sad because it is a great franchise, plus Halo 5 is a damn fun game. I simply hate to see it drop off in popularity is all. Should I be celebrating instead?

It will make money and there will be more Halo games. Why is sad if it sales 5 million instead of 9 million? Just because it did in the past?

JaggedSac

... 35% digital sales is absurd and you know it. At most we'd be looking at 20% and even that is being optimistic.

We know the baseline for digital sales for Halo 5 worldwide. MS said Halo 5 was the new best selling digital title on week one. Previously Minecraft held that title at 1,000,000 units. Using revenue as "best selling" Halo 5 is looking at 275,000 to 300,000. Using units, it is 1,000,000, but that is impossible.

ironcreed

Banned
It will make money and there will be more Halo games. Why is sad if sales 5 million instead of 9 million?

As I just said. It is a huge franchise that I have always enjoyed and I simply find it sad that it has dropped off the way it has, despite Halo 5 being a great game. I don't know how else I can say it. But if you still take some sort of issue with that stance, then I guess that is your problem. Sorry.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think you know what i meant

winning only by 28k in halo month = lost
halo flopping hard = lost

How much should they have won by?

October =/= November or December. That alongside the PS4 doing well in US and having its first price drop pretty much meant that things were going to be close in my opinion (no more than a 50K gap).

The Xbox 360 got the #1 spot by only 27K during the month Halo 3 launched (September 2007). Was that a technical loss too?

Top Bottom