• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Update.

Next month, PS4 and XB1 should easy beat November 2008 of the Wii ( 2.04m ) and December 2008 too ( 2.15m).
Wonder if they will close the gap January to October.

12219508_174081522938908_7845715608197443302_n.jpg

Bgamer90

Banned
Update.

Next month, PS4 and XB1 should easy beat November 2008 of the Wii ( 2.04m ) and December 2008 too ( 2.15m).
Wonder if they will close the gap January to October.

12219508_174081522938908_7845715608197443302_n.jpg

I'm looking at that and all I can focus on is how the Wii did in comparison to both systems separately (haha).

Aceofspades

Banned
How much should they have won by?

October =/= November or December. That alongside the PS4 doing well in US and having its first price drop pretty much meant that things were going to be close in my opinion (no more than a 50K gap).

The Xbox 360 got the #1 spot by only 27K during the month Halo 3 launched (September 2007). Was that a technical loss too?

To be honest, I expected Halo to move consoles similar to what Destiny did for PS4 on September last year, something like ~500k with ~150k gap. Halo is THE BIGGEST MS IP.

kswiston

Well to be fair Xbox One and PS4 will kill X360/PS3 sales during November and December. November has became far bigger part of total yearly sales since 2008 and that has probably led October to become more slower month. Wii was of course killing it every month even back then though.

PS3 shat the bed during the holidays of that year, but 360 was still at 2.28M for Nov+Dec, which is respectable. The issue I see is that while PS4/XB1 post good to great holiday sales, the rest of the months aren't all that hot (in the US). PS4 is on fire in Europe based on those shipment numbers, but I don't see it passing the 360's final LTD in the US (even if you want to stop that total at the end of 2012 to account for the longer generation last time around).

Bgamer90

Banned
To be honest, I expected Halo to move consoles similar to what Destiny did for PS4 on September last year, something like ~500k with ~150k gap. Halo is THE BIGGEST MS IP.

Definitely understandable. I was expecting both systems to be in the 400K range (thanks to PS4's price drop) but with the gap being 1/3 of what you said.

kswiston

Wii was fucking crazy man. We will probably never see anything like it again.

I remember seeing sales each month around this point in the previous generation and thinking that there was no way that the Wii wasn't going to take PS2's crown as the best selling gaming system of all time. Then Nintendo did Nintendo stuff, and it ended the generation with a 50M deficit over the PS2.

Yet people didn't wanna believe me when I said the salt was in here.

Anyway. Next month will decide the winner of this month tbh. It shall be interesting...

and decently entertaining :)

PS3 shat the bed during the holidays of that year, but 360 was still at 2.28M for Nov+Dec, which is respectable. The issue I see is that while PS4/XB1 post good to great holiday sales, the rest of the months aren't all that hot (in the US). PS4 is on fire in Europe based on those shipment numbers, but I don't see it passing the 360's final LTD in the US (even if you want to stop that total at the end of 2012 to account for the longer generation last time around).

Oh. I agree that PS4 will not reach X360s final LTD in US. Still combined PS4 and Xbox One could have bigger final LTD than last gen HD twins as I see both selling more than PS3 did.

The Halo faithful spin on the capital-B Bad Halo numbers reminds me of when I posted the picture of Halo 5 already being out of the top 20 in twitch viewer numbers like day 3 of it's release.

The people in the Halo OT with a straight face said it was because Halo fans were "too busy playing Halo to watch Twitch."

With <1m week one sales (probably closer to 800k without bundles), and an attach that currently stands at an abysmal 10%, what's the ceiling for LTD Halo 5 sales? 5 million?

Missed a few pages. I'd just like to say that if Knack is ever put on PS+ it will be the one game I don't download just because it's free.

sense

"backtracking" and "clarifying".
lol I like how you are turning this around me mixing up what you said. I am just going to stop here with regards to this back and forth and you can think I gave up or didn't want to have a true conversation!!
this is for the future for everybody in this thread :)
uncharted 4 will move more than 307k ps4 consoles in March and I won't beat around the bush if I end up being wrong!!

see how easy it is predict what you think will happen? here is another: uncharted with bundles (I think there will be a uc4 collectors edition ps4)will sell more than the 935k halo did with bundles at retail

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Definitely understandable. I was expecting both systems to be in the 400K range (thanks to PS4's price drop) but with the gap being 1/3 of what you said.

I know this is a narrative you are pushing, but just to remind you that the price drop affected all bundles, 3/4 of which release in November. There was little incentive to buy in October unless you really has to have the console now.

I know this is a narrative you are pushing, but just to remind you that the price drop affected all bundles, 3/4 of which release in November. There was little incentive to buy in October unless you really has to have the console now.

4/5 if you want to include the Walmart exclusive Star Wars bundle. Not to mention, Walmart is pushing Star Wars hard ahead of release.

The Halo faithful spin on the capital-B Bad Halo numbers reminds me of when I posted the picture of Halo 5 already being out of the top 20 in twitch viewer numbers like day 3 of it's release.

The people in the Halo OT with a straight face it was because Halo fans were "too busy playing Halo to watch Twitch."
I noticed this too. It didn't last long at all. Which I found very telling.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

This was really too much.

360 with Halo 3 sold 528,000 unit, and in two weeks.

Destiny boosted PS4 more than 360 in the Halo month.

If you expected Halo 5 to move consoles at Destiny level, you expected Halo 5 to move more consoles than Halo 3, which was just impossible, even with Halo 5 at > 2million.

QaaQer

The people in the Halo OT with a straight face it was because Halo fans were "too busy playing Halo to watch Twitch."

768 viewers, yikes.

Just an update to the AC sales from George's posts:

Assassin's Creed - 1,357,000
Assassin's Creed 2 - 1,243,000
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 1,143,000
Assassin's Creed: Revelation - 1,200,000
Assassin's Creed 3 - 2,900,000
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - 1,820,000 (620K from PS3/360 and 1.2m from PS4/X1)
Assassin's Creed Unity - No numbers, but we know it did better than Syndicate
Assassin's Creed Syndicate - 391,000

Needless to say, the situation is looking pretty dire.

Holeeyy shiit. Syndicate sold like 15% of what AC 3 did.

Bgamer90

Banned
I know this is a narrative you are pushing but just to remind you that the price drop affected all bundles, 3/4 of which release in November. There was little incentive to buy in October unless you really has to have the console now.

This was never really stated in the prediction thread from what I remember. People still expected the PS4 to take the month thanks to it being the #1 console with its first price drop and MS not being clear on Halo sales (including me). The aggregate predictions for October alone show this. Not sure what you were trying to get at with "narrative".

Holeeyy shiit. Syndicate sold like 15% of what AC 3 did.

As a big AC fan, this is a bummer. Especially since Syndicate is supposed to be good (waiting for PC version).

But, franchises come and franchises go.

Guess there isn't as core a fanbase for AC as some other franchises though, seeing as how no one has seemed to care at all about these numbers being low or tried to fight them as being wrong and made up by liars and random idiots on the internet.

Well its not all downturns for mega franchises, as I hear Black Ops 3 is supposed to be selling "significantly" better than the last two. It helps that its significantly better than the last two, multiplayer wise.

November in general will be likely good vibes. COD is up, Fallout 4 is giant, and Battlefront will be huge. It'll be a nice change of pace from October

Edit: Though we will get plenty of Tomb Raider doom so we'll have a big flop to talk about as well

QaaQer

Yeah I mean that franchise is basically DOA now. I'm hella curious what Ubi's outlook is for the rest of the franchise. It needs a good 3 years off to entirely redo and rethink the entire thing

Not next year at least. But if the movie and game bombs, then yeah, big changes.

I wonder though, if they are going to reboot it next year since Micheal Fassbender is playing Desmond* and they are going back to ass creed ii Italy.

*They renamed Desmond 'Callum Lynch', which is like one step away from Rad Heroman.

kswiston

Guess there isn't as core a fanbase for AC as some other franchises though, seeing as how no one has seemed to care at all about these numbers being low or tried to fight them as being wrong and made up by liars and random idiots on the internet.

AC has its fanbase. I think a number of people just go sick of buying these games at full price when they are always on sale for $40 on Black Friday less than a month later. That and the issues with Unity last year.

Ubisoft needs to give the series a rest, and come back with Assassins' Creed 5 in 2017 or 2018. Revise history so that Unity and Syndicate weren't really main games.

Bgamer90

Banned
AC has its fanbase. I think a number of people just go sick of buying these games at full price when they are always on sale for $40 on Black Friday less than a month later. That and the issues with Unity last year.

Yeah -- that's where I'm at now. I was thinking of skipping Unity (due to the issues) but I got a digital code for it for $10. Still haven't played it yet.

I don't like rushing through games but it seems like the only way I can keep up to date with the AC series is by rushing (since the games come out yearly). It seems like this is true for other people too. Bad spot.

November in general will be likely good vibes. COD is up, Fallout 4 is giant, and Battlefront will be huge. It'll be a nice change of pace from October

Edit: Though we will get plenty of Tomb Raider doom so we'll have a big flop to talk about as well

yea, RIP Tomb Raider, good luck on Black Friday

timlot

Banned

Destiny bundle for PS4 was an anomaly. It happen 10 months in the 1st year of launch so there was still new generation hype. It was the white console color sku, so that had its own attraction. Also there long thread on slickdeals in summer 2014 of people buying used systems from cowboom and trading them into Gamestop when they were giving $398 trade in value for them if you purchased a XB1 or PS4. You were also able to put the credit toward the White PS4 Destiny bundle. Which most were doing.

No doubt Halo 3 was the high mark for the series as far as sales go. Sept. 2007 MS moved about 520K Xbox 360. I will add though a month before the core Xbox 360 price dropped to $280.

Halo is THE BIGGEST MS IP
It still is...

Halo 5: Guardians Smashes Record with Biggest Halo Launch in History

One week after launching worldwide, Halo 5: Guardians has made history as the biggest Halo launch and fastest-selling Xbox One exclusive game to-date, with more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware, pushing the franchise to over $5 billion lifetime. With the highest week one attach rate for a Microsoft first party title on Xbox One, the game was the most played of any game on Xbox One, as well as the most played on Xbox Live.
https://news.xbox.com/2015/11/04/halo-5-guardians-biggest-halo-launch-in-history/

xch1n

Fun fact: based on the NPD numbers mentioned earlier in this thread, Halo 5 had more sales per day in its opening month than Reach. Definitely less than 3, but it's definitely a different picture than some are painting here.

Just an update to the AC sales from George's posts:

Assassin's Creed - 1,357,000
Assassin's Creed 2 - 1,243,000
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 1,143,000
Assassin's Creed: Revelation - 1,200,000
Assassin's Creed 3 - 2,900,000
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - 1,820,000 (620K from PS3/360 and 1.2m from PS4/X1)
Assassin's Creed Unity - No numbers, but we know it did better than Syndicate
Assassin's Creed Syndicate - 391,000

Needless to say, the situation is looking pretty dire.

I know the series has seen a huge decline, but did all of those games ship in October? Like the Halo 5 comparisons, I think this is a huge variable as November can really skew things. Again, not saying there isn't an obvious decline, just that addressing the percentage of the decline isn't necessarily that straight forward based on those raw values.

Bgamer90

Banned
Fun fact: based on the NPD numbers mentioned earlier in this thread, Halo 5 had more sales per day in its opening month than Reach. Definitely less than 3, but it's definitely a different picture than some are painting here.

Halo Reach: 3,300,000 / 17 days = 194,118

Halo 5 Guardians: 940,000 / 5 days = 188,000

I guess it could be true when you add in digital. I still expected Halo 5 to do more though.

Futurematic

Yeah, they push some hardware, but I don't think any single game pushes it as much as people think. I look at graphs that Zhuge has done and I have a pretty hard time picking out where the big exclusives landed until I line them up by date. Sure, there are a few (tiny) noticeable upticks, but by and large each year looks pretty similar.

A few hundred thousand consoles at best, generally. There is an academic paper on the subject.
The Effect of Superstar Software on Hardware Sales in System Markets

Hopefully, hardware sales will be good, too. If the PS4 sells less than 1 million, then that's not good.

Ploid 3.0

Halo Wars.

Halo Wars 2 announced?

Off topic: I remember when selling above 500k over a long period of time was amazing. So much money is put into games these days that 500k day/month one is now a joke. Also when will greatest hits start for this gen? I want to see the new covers.

Fun Fact: The vast majority of Reach's sales were in the first 5 days anyways

Hopefully, hardware sales will be good, too. If the PS4 sells less than 1 million, then that's not good.

No doubt. 1 million minimum is a must

Hi guys so November will be the big tell tale month. I see a lot of talk of halo etc. I believe this was uncharted release month, has there been any discussion on this? Numbers etc. I know Sony thought a lot of customers had moved from 360 to ps4 and expected/wanted uncharted to do well. Has this been discussed here? Is there a reason it is so low in the charts. Number 9 must be dire low, surely? I'm a big uncharted fan, I wanted it to do better

Top Bottom