• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

It's hard to see Uncharted sell even more than 10 million, it will probably hit all the milestones significantly faster, but it won't have the same legs.

I just don't see it selling 13-15 million.
Depends on how Naughty Dog treat and support the MP and the DLCs for the game. If they keep the hype alive post-release with new content, player support and the MP is actually fun and a cult classic like TLOU (A shit load of people still play it) then I easily see it having long legs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How bouts Forza this month? Talk about a series that needs a break. TWO franchises rotating when this was never a big franchise to begin with. Leave the horse alone a little.

Polyphony is slow as fuck but three or four years between sim racers is probably appropriate.

How bouts Forza this month? Talk about a series that needs a break. TWO franchises rotating when this was never a big franchise to begin with. Leave the horse alone a little.

Polyphony is slow as fuck but three or four years between sim racers is probably appropriate.
Here kev im going to give u the response ur about to get alot..."they play differently"

Alo0oy

Banned
Depends on how Naughty Dog treat and support the MP and the DLCs for the game. If they keep the hype alive post-release with new content, player support and the MP is actually fun and a cult classic like TLOU (A shit load of people still play it) then I easily see it having long legs.

It needs a big NPD opening to hit 13-15 million, something like 1.5m or 2m, I just don't see it, Uncharted isn't a military shooter nor is it FPS, which is the most popular genre in the US.

In hindsight, it's hard for me to argue otherwise. Most of the time the game was shown, it wasn't exactly top tier stuff (like the older Halo games/commercials).

The E3 showing and the "MC is dead" commercial come to mind.
I agree with the MC is dead stuff. Didn't like that at all. But I enjoyed the trailers for the most part, even for mostly being CGI.

EDIT: I guess I'm really just thinking about the opening cinematic really that was shown before release. I enjoyed this quite a bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh_NXwqFvHc

Alo0oy

Banned

Even three years is too short, Gran Turismo should evolve into a service model, one entry each gen, with free bi-annual updates supported by cosmetic microtransactions.

Toki767

Here kev im going to give u the response ur about to get alot..."they play differently"
Doesn't really matter if they play differently though. A GT game coming out is a big deal because they don't come out very often in general whether it is a numbered game or a spinoff.

Forza (and Halo) are guilty of having games come out virtually every year. Franchise fatigue is a real thing.

It needs a big NPD opening to hit 13-15 million, something like 1.5m or 2m, I just don't see, Uncharted isn't a military shooter nor is it FPS, which is the most popular genre in the US.
Where is this benchmark of 13-15 million coming from? Has any Uncharted even sold through 10 million? If Uncharted 3 did that, there was a lot of reason for it. It was also given as free on PS Plus for a whole year and the MP was free at a point AFAIK.

Uncharted 4 will do just fine if it can sell more than 10 million. I am sure Sony will be more than happy if the game sells/ships 5 million copies in a single quarter for them. It can eventually hit 10 million like DriveClub did despite the horrible numbers in NPD. AFAIK, they were even worse than Forza Horizon 2 yet I doubt Forza Horizon 2 has sold more than 2 million.

Where is this benchmark of 13-15 million coming from? Has any Uncharted even sold through 10 million? If Uncharted 3 did that, there was a lot of reason for it. It was also given as free on PS Plus for a whole year and the MP was free at a point AFAIK.

Uncharted 4 will do just fine if it can sell more than 10 million. I am sure Sony will be more than happy if the game sells/ships 5 million copies in a single quarter for them. It can eventually hit 10 million like DriveClub did despite the horrible numbers in NPD. AFAIK, they were even worse than Forza Horizon 2 yet I doubt Forza Horizon 2 has sold more than 2 million.
Did it even make a mil yet?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Speaking of the concept as games as a service, I don't know why MS didn't thought about it with Forza yet.

They have what looks like a successful business with Killer instinct, and as we already said Forza never was a big seller.

At least Sony had(has) a behemoth on GT.

And I as a costumer would love to see all sports games evolve to a model like this. Buy fifa on the start of generation and only play for expansions with squads updates and some game improvements.

Alo0oy

Banned

A PS+ download doesn't count as a sale lol. We don't know what UC3 specifically sold, what we know is that since UC3 launched, the franchise sold 13 million units, we can be generous to the previous entries & say they sold 3 million in that time frame as legacy sales while UC3 sold ~10 million.

Other info we have is that in Uncharted 3's debut week it sold double that of Uncharted 2 (& we know that the debut week is the biggest in terms of sales).

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Well. I was one of who said first month Halo 5 was gonna be bigger than Uncharted 4 LT ( US only, WW i predicted Uncharted 4 over Halo)

I was terrible wrong lol. My apologies. ;)

Raist

Banned

Nah, I think it capped at like 6-7M

Alo0oy

Banned

That would be lower than the franchise average (21 million/3 = 7 million), which is impossible because of this:

He added that the latest in the series, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, sold twice as many copies in its first week as Uncharted 2 did, "far exceeding our expectations"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-05-uncharted-series-sells-13-million-copies

First week is always majority of the sales as well.

A PS+ download doesn't count as a sale lol. We don't know what UC3 specifically sold, what we know is that since UC3 launched, the franchise sold 13 million units, we can be generous to the previous entries & say they sold 3 million in that time frame as legacy sales while UC3 sold ~10 million.

Other info we have is that in Uncharted 3's debut week it sold double that of Uncharted 2 (& we know that the debut week is the biggest in terms of sales).
I never said the 10 million number you are estimating here counts PS Plus copies. I am just saying you are jumping to conclusions over basing the sales number of Uncharted 3 as ~10 million based on the sales of the series as a whole. This is a number out of thin air and doesn't make any sense at all when Uncharted 3 wasn't even critically praised and universally loved like Uncharted 2.

This makes the most sense to me. 6-7 Million seems possible for Uncharted 3 and something that should be easily achievable by Uncharted 4.

What would be better for MS overall?
Keeping Halo franchise console exclusive to strengthen Xbox?
Or releasing also on PC to make more revenue?

Alo0oy

Banned
I never said the 10 million number you are estimating here counts PS Plus copies. I am just saying you are jumping to conclusions over basing the sales number of Uncharted 3 as ~10 million based on the sales of the series as a whole. This is a number out of thin air and doesn't make any sense at all when Uncharted 3 wasn't even critically praised and universally loved like Uncharted 2.

But Uncharted 3 was critically acclaimed, see my previous post above as well.

EDIT: Just to add, UC2 was at 5 million lifetime by the time UC3 launched, UC3 managed to do that in its first month alone.

Toki767

What would be better for MS overall?
Keeping Halo franchise console exclusive to strengthen Xbox?
Or releasing also on PC to make more revenue?
The latter because they're about profit?

If the game isn't doing as well as expected being exclusive, it only makes sense to just put it on PC especially when you say how much PC gaming means to your company.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yup to milked always funny seeing people use the they play different excuse it still has "forza" tacked on its a forza game otherwise mario isn't milked either

How is it an excuse if Horizon would more than likely sell similarly (possible worse) without the Forza name? Do we really think that sales would rise if it never had the name attached to it?

Racing games aren't doing that well in America. I wouldn't be surprised if GT doesn't chart on NPD (depends on the month it releases) but the game should do well in worldwide sales regardless for obvious reasons.

How is it an excuse if Horizon would more than likely sell similarly (possible worse) without the Forza name?
Forza is forza. To say that its not an annual series is pretty much an excuse. Especially since its the same genre
So you'd weaken the Xbox brand for profit.
They already stated they were going to put more xbox exclusives on pc in the future. So y not put your biggest franchise on there if its going to keep declining on consoles

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
As a big AC fan, this is a bummer. Especially since Syndicate is supposed to be good (waiting for PC version).

But, franchises come and franchises go.

Guess there isn't as core a fanbase for AC as some other franchises though, seeing as how no one has seemed to care at all about these numbers being low or tried to fight them as being wrong and made up by liars and random idiots on the internet.

I'm hoping it actually gets Ubisoft to take a break from the franchise for a bit. Honestly from most AC fans I've heard that they've basically become the same after a while. Now if Syndicate is a better game, I'm hoping some more people end up buying it through word of mouth eventually (I think this happened in the UK in its second week for example, right?). Or maybe PC sales will be decent or something.

I do think both Halo & AC are instances of the previous entries in the franchise being received badly(MCC & Unity), and then folks being very cautious on the next entries. I feel like this happened with Black Flag, but was saved by the 2 launches of the next-gen consoles (people who didn't buy it on old-gen heard it was pretty fun and bought it on PS4 & XB1). I figure Halo 5 is going to be bundled with the system for a while, and they'll go from there. If they are able to create a strong community unlike 4, maybe it works out. We'll see though.

But Uncharted 3 was critically acclaimed, see my previous post above as well.
Your post assumes UC 1 and 2 had to stop selling at a point, which seems highly unlikely. There is an Uncharted Duology Pack (1-2) as well as a Trilogy pack for the series. If anyone would have wanted to get the series at some point, he had the option to get all three games and not just Uncharted 3. So I am sure that the final 21 million sales figure that we got this Summer also includes numbers for UC 1 and 2 that are higher than what we knew of them.

UC 1 (as of E3 2009) : 2.6 millon
UC 2 (as of March 2015): 6 million UC 2 (as of Dec 2011): 5 million
UC 3 (as of March 2015): 6 million

Edit: Source for the sales was Wikipedia and it uses this Forbes article for them. Might not be accurate for UC 2 and 3 if the Forbes contributor pulled the number out from the banned site.

This doesn't count Uncharted Golden Abyss, which sold close to 600k (retail as per creamsugar) in NPD. It might be higher or lower but I vaguely remember it atleast was above 500k. It sold around 100k+ in Japan. No idea of EU though.

Now lets assume UC 1 somehow didn't move a single unit since 2009 (unlikely) then we get a number of around 15-16 million for the series. I just don't see Uncharted 3 carrying a large percentage of sales here i.e more than 10 million.

Total sales of series (as of June 2015): 21 million

I'd be cool with them just getting rid of standard Forza honestly. Just keep Horizon its a better game imo

Y2Kev

The real question about the inevitable PC/Xbox merge is if Xbox becomes a walled garden/ecosystem on PC or if they still ship a box called Xbox to sit in your living room. I would have thought no, because, well, it's kind of a dumb idea, but then Microsoft went whole hog into hardware in general.

Bgamer90

Banned
Why not call Drive Club GT Unchained then?

Why not? It's not like the game's quality would be any different.

They have milked the Forza brand into the dirt. They seem to be doing it with Halo too with a game planned for every year.

Forza is forza. To say that its not an annual series is pretty much an excuse. Especially since its the same genre

I really wouldn't say it's an excuse. Forza Motorsport isn't annual and neither is Forza Horizon and they both play differently, have different play styles, and presentation. I view it similar to NBA Street vs. NBA Live. They were both "EA NBA" basketball but they definitely weren't the same series (for similar reasons).

Overall, my point is that the sales of Forza have little to do with the name being "milked" in my opinion; The games have been some of the best reviewed exclusives this gen so far.

It's more so about the racing genre's position in America which doesn't help when basically 2/3 of overall Xbox One sales come from that territory.

They could have named Forza Horizon "Horizon Racing" and it still more than likely would have done similar (NPD).

Toki767

The real question about the inevitable PC/Xbox merge is if Xbox becomes a walled garden/ecosystem on PC or if they still ship a box called Xbox to sit in your living room. I would have thought no, because, well, it's kind of a dumb idea, but then Microsoft went whole hog into hardware in general.
I think Microsoft definitely wants more people using the software than hardware, but services are so important and they wouldn't dare charge PC gamers for online play like they can on console. So they'll probably still make consoles.

Let's see if steam machines sell. Maybe this will give us an indication.

Some people just dont want to boot the pc to play on their TV. Might become less people over time.

Y2Kev

I really wouldn't say it's an excuse. Forza Motorsport isn't annual and neither is Forza Horizon and they both play differently, have different play styles, and presentation. I view it similar to NBA Street vs. NBA Live. They were both "EA NBA" basketball but they definitely weren't the same series (for similar reasons).

Overall, my point is that the sales of Forza have little to do with the name being "milked" in my opinion; The games have been some of the best reviewed exclusives this gen so far.

It's more so about the racing genre's position in America which doesn't help when basically 2/3 of overall Xbox One sales come from that territory.

They could have named Forza Horizon "Horizon Racing" and it still more than likely would have done similar (NPD).

The point is that every other year is too frequent.

edit: I think we're missing the forest for the trees here. We agree racing is in a bad spot, so their strategy is to subdivide the racing genre into sim and arcade and release a game with their name on it every year? That does generate fatigue.

I see your point, but I think using Forza name every year is causing fatigue despite quality of the games.

And yeah we don't need a racing game every year or every other year since they alternate.

Conduit

Banned
It still is...

Halo 5: Guardians Smashes Record with Biggest Halo Launch in History

One week after launching worldwide, Halo 5: Guardians has made history as the biggest Halo launch and fastest-selling Xbox One exclusive game to-date, with more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware, pushing the franchise to over $5 billion lifetime. With the highest week one attach rate for a Microsoft first party title on Xbox One, the game was the most played of any game on Xbox One, as well as the most played on Xbox Live.
https://news.xbox.com/2015/11/04/halo-5-guardians-biggest-halo-launch-in-history/

Hahahahah! Another one.

Alo0oy

Banned
Your post assumes UC 1 and 2 had to stop selling at a point, which seems highly unlikely. There is an Uncharted Duology Pack (1-2) as well as a Trilogy pack for the series. If anyone would have wanted to get the series at some point, he had the option to get all three games and not just Uncharted 3. So I am sure that the final 21 million sales figure that we got this Summer also includes numbers for UC 1 and 2 that are higher than what we knew of them.

The dual pack was already released before UC3 & was counted towards the 8 million total before UC3 launched.

UC1 & 2 never charted in Europe since UC3 launched, meanwhile UC3 continued to chart for an entire year, sometimes at #1 MONTHS after release, hell it sold better than Mass Effect 3 on PS3 or 360 in Mass Effect's second week in some markets.

UC 1 (as of E3 2009) : 2.6 millon
UC 2 (as of March 2015): 6 million
UC 3 (as of March 2015): 6 million

Stop using wikipedia, it quotes the banned site.

This doesn't count Uncharted Golden Abyss, which sold close to 600k (retail as per creamsugar) in NPD. It might be higher or lower but I vaguely remember it atleast was above 500k. It sold around 100k+ in Japan. No idea of EU though.

The 21 million does not count the Vita title, it was specifically mentioned in the 21 million announcement that those figures were only for the titles included in the Nathan Drake collection.

Now lets assume UC 1 somehow didn't move a single unit since 2009 (unlikely) then we get a number of around 15-16 million for the series. I just don't see Uncharted 3 carrying a large percentage of sales here i.e more than 10 million.

You don't see it, but according to the PAL charts in a random week in May 2012 (7 months after launch):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474892

It's still in the top 10 in Germany (EDIT: Actually, top 5), you can sort through the PAL charts for most of 2012 to find it still charting, & yes UC1 & 2 were nowhere to be found.

The absolute bare minimum for Uncharted 3 is 7 million because that's the average of 21 million split between three titles, but since we know that it sold 5 million in its first month alone & it also doubled UC2 in its launch week, & we know that Uncharted 1 sold 3 million as of UC3's launch, then 9 million is the lowest estimate.

Top Bottom