• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

I can see something like this:

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

Tomb Raider scores pretty well I think. It will be released also on 360.

A good amount of battlefront sales will be from bundles but you crazy if you think it going to be at 9.

It'd say we should discount the parts of the 360s sales due to the Kinect if we are trying to use that data to predict future performance. Motion controls were a fad. They sold well based on the hype of what they could do and fell hard based on the reality of what they could actually do. BOTH the Wii and Xbox brands suffered because of this. The Wii's success hid the downward slope of Nintendo game sales and tarnished the brand so much that the Wii U is a flop. The XB1 killed its momentum by trying to force the Kinect into every console at launch. They've now had to backtrack by removing the Kinect as a standard accessory and show little to no interest of supporting it going forward.

We are examining these historic trends to assess the current state of the gaming industry and to predict where it is going. To include sales associated with fad motion controls that no longer play any part in modern gaming only clouds the issue. The real takeaway is that both the Wii and 360 weren't as dominant as they appeared at the time. They were riding a trend that could not be sustained.

It'd be like if I pretended that I was rich by running up debt on my credit cards. As an outsider if all you did was look at the time I was spending like crazy, you'd have a very distorted view. Instead you need to look at what happened later. You'd have to look at the debt and bankruptcy that came after my wild spending and revise your previous assessment of when you thought I was rich.

Thanks you.

I'm not trying discounting wii sales but it was nothing like we seen before, the hardware wasn't next-gen and third party support was weak compared to ps3/360. It's not really comparable to every other gen we had, where every console had huge generation jump in graphics with great third-party support, giving the console the most variety in games. Kinect and wii sold off hype and they would only last for one gen, comparing handhelds is silly that market is obviously dying.

Battlefront at #9? What the hell are you smoking?

Tomb Raider above Battlefront.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

jayu26

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

You think 360 will put Tomb Raider at 5! You think Battelfront will be at 9! Which parallel Universe did you come from?

Boke1879

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

A lot of BF's sales will be from bundles but no way it debuts at 9

Tubie

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

I'm sorry m8, but that's insane.

Battlefront won't be lower than 3.

And TR won't chart at all, but it's extremely likely Halo 5 does chart around 8-10 tho.

Game Guru

This doesn't contradict what I said. People have stepped away from motion controls presently but they may return to them at some point in the future. Apple TV for example was presented with motion controls recently. Motion controls have been used in VR. Another example is Nintendo tried the second screen without success on the Gamecube but they succeeded with it on the DS.

Supposedly, those people stepped away from motion controls to mobile games. However, I don't see why they would step back to motion controls when smartphones are practically required for modern society and the majority of popular mobile games are F2P. How does any company compete with a device that is practically required for life which gives games away for free?

cakely

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

Heh. You had me going there for a minute.

Mory Dunz

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

You forgot mario tennis at the 4th spot.

RibMan

So, what are the conclusions that everyone can agree on?

Both X1 and PS4 sold below expectations, and Sony should be especially disappointed that the price drop wasn't enough to sell more hardware than Microsoft? Despite getting pretty close?

I think there are 5 reasonable conclusions:

1) Halo is no longer a titan. It's an important exclusive and the IP definitely has value. With that said, the days of Halo being in the same conversation as GTA are over. We expected Halo to decline (just like COD and AC), but debuting to less than a million in a market which it used to debut to 3.3 million+ is a disaster. The software sales were terrible, and Halo 5's inability to move a significant amount of hardware is quite possibly the worst thing that could have happened to the Xbox business. In my opinion, Halo 5's performance is this generation's biggest failure. That might sound like hyperbole, but unless Microsoft have Minecraft 2 and Minecraft 3 in the pipeline for the X1, they literally have no hardware seller for the remainder of the generation. Gears 4 will do its numbers, but given the performance of Halo 5 -- a franchise which has always outperformed Gears -- it's not looking too green for the Xbox camp.

2) Assassins Creed is on its deathbed. We expected it to decline in sales, but seeing the reported numbers (390k), it's clear that the franchise doesn't have much juice left. The AC movie can rejuvenate the franchise, so if I were Ubisoft, I would do everything in my power to make sure that the movie turns out good. If the movie fails, then I honestly do not believe the Assassin's Creed franchise will make it past this generation.

3) $50 price cut was insufficient in October. We predicted that the $50 reduction wouldn't lead to significant hardware sales, but we now know that a $50 reduction wasn't enough to win the month for Sony. Half-step price cuts rarely move the needle, because a lot of people who can afford a $349.99 device can more than likely also afford a $399.99 device. With that said, context is key. It sounds like an excuse to say "People might be waiting for the COD and Battlefront bundles", but you're lying to yourself if you think there aren't people who will hold out for the bundles. The $50 cut also allows for price parity during Black Friday, so while the reduction failed in October, it might succeed in November. If the $50 does not make a difference in November, then we can definitively say that cutting the PS4 price by $50 and not $100 was a terrible idea.

4) Destiny is now the number one sci-fi shooter. The numbers for The Taken King show that the game is here to stay, and given the positive critical reception for TTK, it's safe to say that Destiny 2 is going to be massive. I don't know why Microsoft passed on Destiny (if I recall correctly they had a right of first refusal), but it was a big mistake. Hindsight is 20/20, but Microsoft should have banked on Destiny. The real winner is, of course, Activision. Given the decline of COD, they needed to come up with a big AAA console title to replace it. It's now looking like yes, Destiny will be that game.

5) November will be interesting.

e-gamer

Battlefront at 9? You kidding right?

Battlefront at #9? What the hell are you smoking?

A good amount of battlefront sales will be from bundles but you crazy if you think it going to be at 9.

You think 360 will put Tomb Raider at 5! You think Battelfront will be at 9! Which parallel Universe did you come from?

A lot of BF's sales will be from bundles but no way it debuts at 9

I'm sorry m8, but that's insane.

Battlefront won't be lower than 3.

And TR won't chart at all, but it's extremely likely Halo 5 does chart around 8-10 tho.

Yes, most of the sales will come from bundles. Add to this digital sales that also does not count on NPD ranking.

Considering that the game has only multiplayer mode, early access with EA Access (Xbox One) and Sony putting all efforts on its bundle I don't believe it will chart well counting at most on physical copies.

And I'm not even talking about its technical issues.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think some of Halo's decline reflects Halo's decline--I think the mindshare decline was underway probably around Reach but certainly before Halo 4--but I think some of Halo's decline reflects Xbox One simply not being the killer hardware people are buying. With a smaller active install base, we'd expect pretty much across the board software declines.

See also: the story of Wii U Nintendo first-party sales. Like, Mario Kart didn't suddenly become significantly less in demand, it's just that with fewer people even considering Wii U, fewer people buying Wii U, and thus fewer Wii U owners accumulating owner-weeks to buy new release or legacy software, you expect fewer software sales.

The good news is that I'd expect Halo to be pretty evergreen in its sales, so as hardware numbers pick up over the lifespan of the hardware (to be clear, I'm not talking about a miraculous turnaround, I'm talking about the fact that even hardware that's not performing well continues to sell some baseline) I think software sales will continue. Doesn't mean we'll see it blowing stuff out of the water chart-wise, but we'll definitely see its franchise numbers continue to increment in the background.

QaaQer

I think some of Halo's decline reflects Halo's decline--I think the mindshare decline was underway probably around Reach but certainly before Halo 4--but I think some of Halo's decline reflects Xbox One simply not being the killer hardware people are buying. With a smaller active install base, we'd expect pretty much across the board software declines.

See also: the story of Wii U Nintendo first-party sales. Like, Mario Kart didn't suddenly become significantly less in demand, it's just that with fewer people even considering Wii U, fewer people buying Wii U, and thus fewer Wii U owners accumulating owner-weeks to buy new release or legacy software, you expect fewer software sales.

The good news is that I'd expect Halo to be pretty evergreen in its sales, so as hardware numbers pick up over the lifespan of the hardware (to be clear, I'm not talking about a miraculous turnaround, I'm talking about the fact that even hardware that's not performing well continues to sell some baseline) I think software sales will continue. Doesn't mean we'll see it blowing stuff out of the water chart-wise, but we'll definitely see its franchise numbers continue to increment in the background.

Asscreed as well or is halo a snowflake?

Bgamer90

Banned
Xbox One had a pretty crappy October last year and ended up having a tremendous Nov-Dec. PS4's October sales last year were, in part, due to the Destiny effect which gave the console a pretty sizable boost. This year PS4 had the price cut, but honestly there was zero software to move hardware.

I honestly don't think October's sales are overall bad or somehow indicate that the following months will be lackluster.

In fact, I think Nov-Dec this year is going to be really good for both platforms given the pricing and multiplatform software that will seriously push hardware. Fallout 4 and CoD have done incredibly well, that will certainly carry over into Nov Hardware numbers.

Yeah, if anything I think October shows that November and December will be insane (or at least they should be). Seems like many people are just holding off. Thanks to Internet/social media, the leaked Black Friday deals get spread around more than ever. There will be tons of people picking up those $299 PlayStation 4s and Xbox Ones.

cakely

Yes, most of the sales will come from bundles. Add to this digital sales that also does not count on NPD ranking.

Considering that the game has only multiplayer mode, early access with EA Access (Xbox One) and Sony putting all efforts on its bundle I don't believe it will chart well counting at most on physical copies.

Ok, I'll play along with your comedy.

So, uh, Tomb Raider, a series associated with the PC and Playstation, is launching only on Xbox One and Xbox 360. It's launching on the same day as Fallout 4, and it's going to outsell a brand-new Star Wars FPS launching on Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Did i get that right?

QaaQer

AssCreed is yearly, that alone kills any chance that it will have the time to gain sales over a significant period of time because Ubi will be hyping the next one in about 6 months.

Good point.

I don't think a multiplayer focused shooter without a critical mass of players is going to sell much long term any more than a failed AC game would.

Elandyll

Banned

Wth are you smoking?

Right now, on pre orders -alone- on Amazon, Battlefront (Deluxe ed) PS4 is at #53, which is higher than Witcher 3 or Madden NFL 16, on PS4... On the Yearly ranking.
And that's just 1 of 3 platforms (granted PC won't contribute much to retail numbers), and 1 of 2 editions.

BF will likely be 3 or 4 at most (fighting it out with COD, Fallout and something else, possibly Halo 5).

Isn't the XboxOne still ahead of the 360 launch aligned in the US? I think the obvious conclusions to draw are that a) a big chunk of Halo fans moved to PS4 as part of the general trend of shooters doing better on Sony's platform this gen, b) Destiny and other new gen shooters simply ate its lunch, and c) the jarring story jump from 3 -> Reach -> 4 alienated people who cared about the lore. And no, "read these 4 novels" is not an acceptable bandaid for a series that just completely changed gears and introduced a score of new characters with no explanation.

I still couldn't tell you what Halo 4 was about, only that fighting Prometheans is almost as bad as fighting Flood.

Edit: also, it seems that black Friday has become so universally known for game deals that it's actively hurting non holiday sales now. How does the industry overcome this and make these consoles desirable all year around?

Bgamer90

Banned
AssCreed is yearly, that alone kills any chance that it will have the time to gain sales over a significant period of time because Ubi will be hyping the next one in about 6 months.

I may be getting things mixed up but I'm positive that Ubisoft started hyping Assassin's Creed Black Flag just four months after Assassin's Creed 3 released. I couldn't believe it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Isn't the XboxOne still ahead of the 360 launch aligned in the US? I think the obvious conclusions to draw are that a) a big chunk of Halo fans moved to PS4 as part of the general trend of shooters doing better on Sony's platform this gen, b) Destiny and other new gen shooters simply ate its lunch, and c) the jarring story jump from 3 -> Reach -> 4 alienated people who cared about the lore. And no, "read these 4 novels" is not an acceptable bandaid for a series that just completely changed gears and introduced a score of new characters with no explanation.

I still couldn't tell you what Halo 4 was about, only that fighting Prometheans is almost as bad as fighting Flood.

Edit: also, it seems that black Friday has become so universally known for game deals that it's actively hurting non holiday sales now. How does the industry overcome this and make these consoles desirable all year around?

I think it's mainly B.

Shooters are doing well on the Xbox One. It's just that the recent sales have (in my opinion, a bit shockingly) shown that people are buying the system for multiplats instead of multiplats AND exclusives.

joecanada

Look at the state of this thread, and remember the thread about MS's PR following the NPD results.

Now, just imagine the threads if last year's situation in November happens to be reversed? (PS4 1.2-1.3m, XB1 800-900k)

It could be glorious (not the result itself, but the threads)

Would it really make great threads? Ps4 is dominating early and often. I don't think any results except ms winning big are really shocking tbh

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

No. Tomb Raider will be lucky to be 9. Star Wars will not be less than 3.

And what "technical issues"?

OEM

2874776-1385.gif

Those prices are set by the retailer for Black Friday sales, not by MS or Sony. The MSRP is still just a suggested ceiling price.

Nope. No retailer drops the price of a console without the express permission (and occasionally the financial backing) of the console maker. Even on Black Friday, Sony and MS set those console prices, because if they didn't, there's no way that the prices would be the same at every store, as stores would continually attempt to one up each other. At best, Sony/MS/Nintendo doesn't actually decide what can/does gets given away with the console (free gift cards and accessories and sometimes games, though I think console makers can control that as well).

Mikey Jr.

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

You forgot "Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends" at number 8. Bump BF down to number 10, and you got yourself a solid list.

RE_Player

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

Tomb Raider doing that well... lol thanks I needed a good laugh tonight.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Asscreed as well or is halo a snowflake?

Not sure which part of my post the "as well" applies to but Assassin's Creed won't have multi-year legs because it's an annualized franchise and I don't think you can attribute movement to lower active hardware owners given that previous installments on the same hardware have done better and it's multiplatform.

Even with amazing bundles sales, Battlefront will easily be a top 5. Many existing owners on PS4 and XB1 will eat it up.

Did the amazing bundle performance of Advanced Warfare, AssCreed Unity and Destiny caused the games to somehow chart low relative to the IP?

No, it didn't. Because a lot of existing console owners bought those popular games.

Tommy DJ

Its a goddamn multiplayer Star Wars game that's launching near the release of The Force Awakens, a Star Wars movie that literally everyone is feeling pretty good about. There's no way the game isn't selling gangbusters at retail.

The only situation where your ranking could make sense is if:
- Most Xbox One owners are on EA Access
- Most existing PS4 owners are going to buy digital
- The majority of PS4 sales, in general, are going to come from bundles and not the existing userbase
- The new Star Wars movie has zero impact on getting people hyped for Star Wars media
- People actually care more about technical issues than the fact its a goddamn multiplayer Star Wars game where you can shoot people with ATATs and wrap a tow cable around its legs with an airspeeder.

De_Legend

Banned

Fkin dead

texore

Ok, I'll play along with your comedy.

So, uh, Tomb Raider, a series associated with the PC and Playstation, is launching only on Xbox One and Xbox 360. It's launching on the same day as Fallout 4, and it's going to outsell a brand-new Star Wars FPS launching on Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Did i get that right?
360 gonna be pulling some weight lol.

Javin98

Banned

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

tumblr_mq3vmo0WuE1r4orq1o4_500.gif

This is the kind of posters I meant. Either detached from reality or making up fantasy as they like or really stoned.

LOCK

How has portable hardware changed in prices since last October for the 3DS and PSV? I think it has basically stayed the same in averages. Since the price drop of the 2DS is offset by the N3DS.

Last year portables were around 172k.

October 2014:
3DS: ~137k
PSV: ~35k

October 2015:
-27% YOY

September 2015:
3DS: ~127k or 25.4 weekly average
PSV: ~unknown

Weekly averages generally stay the same or increase in October over September. So using the Sept. weekly average for October would give us:

3DS > 102k for a minimum.

I have a hunch the PSV is down more YOY compared to the 3DS.

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

f93Ufnd1dTHvq.gif

LycanXIII

- COD 3 / Fallout 4
- Fallout 4 / COD 3
- Halo 5
- Random sports game #1
- Tomb Raider
- Random sports game #2
- Random sports game #3
- Pokemon
- Battlefront
- Destiny whatever

There's a new Pokemon game?

Yoday

You sir, are insane. Bundles will only count for a portion of sales on one platform. Digital is something to consider for all games, not just Battlefront. Any impact digital has on NPDs with Battlefront will be felt across all of those games. Digital may end up being a larger part of Battlefronts sales, but not that much larger.

Also, what technical issues? I've put about eight hours into the game on XBO and it looks gorgeous while running flawlessly. I had like one crash in that eight hours, and that is about it as far as technical issues go.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Did you try looking at some data? Amazon November so far is FO4, COD, BF and then Halo. BF will gain some since it is the only one unreleased. These are all standalone games not including bundles. TR is a way behind that group.

LycanXIII

I'd be shocked if it charted. Mystery Dungeon is too hard and doesn't pull in anywhere near the mainline numbers.

Okay, I was thinking it was this game, but just making sure. There is no way this charts higher than Battlefront. Battlefront will be top 3 with CoD and Fallout.

The debt analogy isn't that great because correct me if I'm wrong but the Wii generated more profit than the entire Playstation and Xbox divisions since their inception. Also, in the 80s after the Atari crash someone could have said home consoles were a fad. It turns out it was the implementation was the problem rather than the concept. We may find in the future a better/sustainable implementation of motion controls succeeding at some point.

The debt analogy was just that. It wasn't meant to be taken literally. The point I was making was that something can look one way at first but after gathering more information can actually be revealed as something else.

i think that's the incorrect conclusion. people weren't attracted to motion controls because they were motion controls. people didn't buy move like they did the wii remote or kinect, because sony's designers didn't really grasp what people were after. people wanted accessible, easy to understand gameplay and at an affordable price. nintendo and microsoft put that in their platforms from the start. and it was something parents wanted because it wasn't a shootbang thing or at the very least it was something that could be done as a family.

motion controls then became an industry standard. every company aside from microsoft now has it standard as part of the controls in their system. it's part of every major mobile device too, along with touch screens. if you look at wii sports, brain age, nintendogs, wii fit, udraw, and kinect as part of this rise in accessible, novel, and different kinds of games, then mobile is the continuation of that. more, mobile rose just about the same time interest in the wii and kinect waned. the real takeaway here is that a major former segment of the dedicated gaming market left, along with several others, almost all at once. now we're going to be left with overall sales not just worse than the last generation, but the generation preceding it too.

i know people like to think this is a 'consoles are dying!' narrative but it's really more that the dedicated market is in danger of becoming irrelevant in the industry. on its current path, it appears that it's the only logical conclusion.

The Playstation move was cheaper than the Kinect so I'm not sure what you mean by the Kinect being cheaper.

Motion controls are not standard on consoles. Neither the Wii U and PS4 promoted motion control like the Wii did. For them motion control became a minor scaled back feature compared to their previous offerings. As mentioned before, the inclusion of mandatory Kinect in the XB1 is widely cited as one of the major reasons for the console's downfall. As proof of all of this please notice the absolute lack of motion controlled games that currently exist. By motion control I mean that motion control is its primary selling feature and of course that exclude VR which is its own thing.

I don't do mobile gaming so I might be wrong about this, but even though mobile gaming has motion controls, once again it's not its primary feature. I'm not sure why you would bring up touch screens since that has absolutly no relationship to motion gaming.

The mobile segment taking Wii's market share has absolutely nothing to do Kinect or the success of the PS4 or XB1. Wii catered to a casual audience that wasn't concerned about graphics or performance. As the power of the mobile hardware grew, it came in direct competition with the Wii. Mobile phones and tablets had many functions and people were going to buy them anyway. The games they could play were good enough to scratch the gaming itch for the Wii players. PS4 and XB1 gamers are a different breed. A mobile game for them is not an adequate substitute to the full console experience.

As for the Kinect, it simply died all by itself. No Kinect gamer is going to mobiles to play games instead. There isn't even a Kinect experience on mobiles.

The consoles aren't dying. Nintendo fans like to say that to justify the downward spiral of their console. Nintendo by its own admission went its own way. It intentionally tried to be different. It's failure is simply a result of its path not being commercially viable. That failure says nothing about the PS4 and XB1 future. The fact that third party games abandoned Nintendo's consoles proves that their consoles were not a suitable fit for Sony's and MS's offerings. It was just too different.

You sir, are insane. Bundles will only count for a portion of sales on one platform. Digital is something to consider for all games, not just Battlefront. Any impact digital has on NPDs with Battlefront will be felt across all of those games. Digital may end up being a larger part of Battlefronts sales, but not that much larger.

Also, what technical issues? I've put about eight hours into the game on XBO and it looks gorgeous while running flawlessly. I had like one crash in that eight hours, and that is about it as far as technical issues go.

He probably refer to the infamous BF4 broken server but it isn't the case here since you and some people played it fine on X1 so far

Top Bottom