• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

zsynqx

I think they certainly have to prove to people why they should care about Gears still but releasing a remaster that was functional at a basic level will at least not hinder them.

Notice how the beta access with Gears mentions "early access" with the console bundles and Gears UE rather than just access, I think they are going to do their best to prove they're not going to do a Halo 4 with the multiplayer and if they make something compelling with the multiplayer and Horde that will certainly see it do well.

What is the biggest draw for Gears, the SP/MP or is it about an even split? I said this before but with a game like Gears you just need that splashy E3 demo which will blow peoples minds, coupled with a great marketing campaign with Mad World type ads and it should do fine. Or I could be completely wrong and it could fail commercially, much like I am expecting the new God of War to as maybe not enough people care anymore.

Before God of War fans jump on my back, this is just my prediction which could be way off.

Elandyll

Banned
Alright, off to bed. I hope Cream will have some pies I can enjoy for Breakfast.
Gnight all, it's been hugely entertaining! (And interesting)

orochi91

who is we? It did what I expected. Halo had a rough time the past few years, it wasn't going to do H3 numbers. Xbox lost alot of core to PS4 that would have maybe of bought H5

first price drop and it does less then LY? by a decent %?

....You expected a mainline Halo to debut at less than 1 million units sold in its #1 territory?

And your price-drop conundrum has been given several reasonable responses, such as:

Yep it's down YOY, but like people the real test is in November. If Nov+Oct is not up YOY, then it's really bad.

who is we? It did what I expected. Halo had a rough time the past few years, it wasn't going to do H3 numbers. Xbox lost alot of core to PS4 that would have maybe of bought H5

Let me enjoy this moment and next month and next.

Getting cocky already! I wouldn't be too confident about that. Price parity for most part, PS4 has the the more attractive bundles and previous bundle sales that won't be counted until November(similar to Xbox Halo bundle this month).

Chobel

Should be around -8%

Javin98

Banned
Like others like myself have been saying, it's likely that consumers are holding off their purchases until November. If the PS4 sells less than 1 million in November, then you can be concerned and no one will question you.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So now one man says it, and its what is true? Sorry, but I have doubts. It feels like a troll attempt.

Two people with strong records seem to have echoed one-another rather seamlessly, and one of them hinted at something along these lines ahead of time.

Welfare

It would be shocking at the least if PS4 isnt up from 830k. Its gotta be.

Not sure MS can hit that number again though. Those were some crazy fucking high levels

Both should be over 1m in November. I will be shocked if the PS4 fails to outsell what it did in December 2014 (1070k) next month.

So, 831K is the baseline. PS4 should be on par with what X1 did last November. Honestly, I think it should be even higher. If November comes around and it is flat or possibly worse, I would be speechless. It would really put into perspective the rest of the world and the contribution to total PS4 sales.

who is we? It did what I expected. Halo had a rough time the past few years, it wasn't going to do H3 numbers. Xbox lost alot of core PS4 that would have maybe of bought H5
p

No doubt

Between the exclusion of digital sales and bundled copies, the less number of days tracked comparatively and the fact that the series isn't near as popular or the Halo 3 days nor has near the install base as the Halo 4 days this game never had a chance to sell anywhere near it's predecessor based on NDP numbers alone.

Having said that > 1 Mil is quite a bit lower then most people here would have predicted.

1st party sales will probably decline across the board, well for sce and microsoft at least, the big third party sales will just seem normal as everything else just kinda dissipates

C4Lukins

So now one man says it, and its what is true? Sorry, but I have doubts. It feels like a troll attempt.

Unlike that website where you once hung out. There are a few people here who get real numbers.

The bigger news is that AC completely ate shit. Not that it was unpredictable, but damn that is a franchise on the decline.

Boke1879

1st party sales will probably decline across the board, well for sce and microsoft at least, the big third party sales will just seem normal as everything else just kinda dissipates

First party games can and will do well. It's just you have to take their lifetime sales into account really. Uncharted 4 is a game I can see being around 8 million lifetime sales. That won't happen in its first year.

What is the biggest draw for Gears, the SP/MP or is it about an even split? I said this before but with a game like Gears you just need that splashy E3 demo which will blow peoples minds, coupled with a great marketing campaign with Mad World type ads and it should do fine. Or I could be completely wrong and it could fail commercially, much like I am expecting the new God of War to as maybe not enough people care anymore.

Before God of War fans jump on my back, this is just my prediction which could be way off.

The multiplayer is bigger i'd say but the campaign drew people in because of how it handled co-op which I think is/was great, also Horde mode helps as offers a 3 modes of play and all are great experiences with friends.

People don't play the campaign for the story but as far as a third-person action game goes, I think people really like how it controls and that experience they can have with friends in the campaign. The controls and feel also didnt stay entirely faithful in Judgment either

They'll get the hype train rolling over multiplayer early next year and move on to the campaign in the same way Halo does around E3, I didn't have any issues personally with their E3 demo last year, to someone like me its clear they picked a part of the game that was what they were most likely using as their vertical slice to show the suits and polished it up but next year they'll have a better set-piece to show to people

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Javin98

Banned
But that isn't the case for Halo 5. Ehh.. I really wish Microsoft would release something. I doubt Halo 5 only did 2 million WW first week (unless its digital sales were insane).
Well, obviously digital sales contributed 90% of its total sales, so Halo 5 sold 9 million in the US alone. /s

But that isn't the case for Halo 5. Ehh.. I really wish Microsoft would release something. I doubt Halo 5 only did 2 million WW first week (unless its digital sales were insane).

I could see a lot of people holding off, honestly. After MCC? You're gonna get a lot of super cautious Halo fans.

I mean, I realize that it's unlikely, but hey. Weirder things have happened.

Queso and Harker.

Are you talking about cosmicqueso with this quote?:

Some months there are titles that sell in the 7 digits in one month.
Other months there aren't.

That seemed to be some random post he made since he didn't quote anyone and he hasn't been back in the thread since. Why would he make that comment and then just disappear? Hopefully dude doesn't end up getting banned. Reminds me of that 7k-10k post from Cboat.

I think Sony first party sales will increase. I think The Order 1886 is only game so far that has probably flopped commercially(compared to expectations).

damisa

Both should be over 1m in November. I will be shocked if the PS4 fails to outsell what it did in December 2014 (1070k) next month.

Agreed. Both consoles are cheaper than last year and have big games (Stars Wars, Halo). Both should be over 1m in November.

kswiston

Digital sales for Halo probably aren't significantly higher than digital sales for any other AAA game on XB1.

Let me enjoy this moment and next month and next.

You're most likely joking/trolling at this point, but in case you aren't and these numbers brought any type of happiness in your life, you should really speak to a professional about it. We're talking about a piece of plastic selling more than another piece of plastic with all the money going to a faceless corporations that doesn't care about you besides your wallet.

I'm 99% sure (well, hoping) your joking but you can never tell.

First party games can and will do well. It's just you have to take their lifetime sales into account really. Uncharted 4 is a game I can see being around 8 million lifetime sales. That won't happen in its first year.

I know they can, i didn't say anything about debuts either. the costs are just ballooning and being subsidized by secondary costs via microtransactions, like req packs in halo, and the naughty dog points in uc4, they already know they cover costs through just packaged sales...pretty much what space cheese has been saying for the most part

besides sony and microsoft have always positioned their consoles to be third party boxes with mostly supplementary franchises that didn't really step on anyone's toes with the few exceptions, the obvious ones being halo, gears of war, gran turismo, and usually whatever naughty dog makes. everything is else is a drop in the bucket and collectively helps but not outright stands out

Are you talking about cosmicqueso with this quote?:

Some months there are titles that sell in the 7 digits in one month.
Other months there aren't.

That seemed to be some random post he made since he didn't quote anyone and he hasn't been back in the thread since. Why would he make that comment and then just disappear? Hopefully dude doesn't end up getting banned. Reminds me of that 7k-10k post from Cboat.

Earlier in the thread, he set the tone that 1.5 mill was too high. The low numbers have been alluded for a while today

super6646

Banned
Digital sales for Halo probably aren't significantly higher than digital sales for any other AAA game on XB1.

We did hear about it being the best selling. Still, I can't seem to think that the post was fishy. Remember Cboat? Look, it could be right. But having a 65% decline in one series seems extremely unlikely.

Javin98

Banned
You're most likely joking/trolling at this point, but in case you aren't and these numbers brought any type of happiness in your life, you should really speak to a professional about it. We're talking about a piece of plastic selling more than another piece of plastic with all the money going to a faceless corporations that doesn't care about you besides your wallet.

I'm 99% sure (well, hoping) your joking but you can never tell.
latest

Top Bottom