• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Dude when Jaggedsac kept saying he was convinced Halo 6 would launch day and date on PC I didn't buy it at all. But if sub 1 mil is legit MS have to be rethinking how they are going to handle this franchise going forward. That decline is gigantic

Not a chance. Halo would have to be practically DOA for that to happen. Microsoft ain't giving up those gold subscriptions.

Okay, come on. Source? One guy 'heard it on another site'. Can we get a link or a source?

Oh, it's that kinda thread? Okay.

Cosmic said some months games will hit 7 digits, this isn't one of those months...Cosmic has NPD numbers, that is where the less than 1 million came from...

Aceofspades

Banned
Correct me if Im wrong but Halo reach/3 both did ~3.3m NPD, Halo 5 doing ~1m is like the biggest drop I have ever seen for any franchise ever...damn WTF

orochi91

How is being #1 despite being an end of the month release and an exclusive a flop?

How are you completely unaware of the context in which it is being called a flop?

Especially since you've been in this thread for a while now lmao

This has been a poor month for sales all-around.

watership

Cosmic and Harker.

Cosmic and Harker already said it, both of which have access to NPD data. Just accept the fact that Halo 5 sold much worse than previous entries and move on.

Huh? Right in this thread, Like in the previous page, from Harker and Queso.

Harker and Cosmic heavily hinted over the past couple pages about Halo 5 debuting less than 1 million at retail.

These people, among others, have knowledge of NPD numbers.

Cosmic said some months games will hit 7 digits, this isn't one of those months...Cosmic has NPD numbers, that is where the less than 1 million came from...

Thanks all, I completely missed a few pages and didn't see those posts.

sense

How are you completely unaware of the context in which it is being called a flop?

You've been in this thread for a while now lmao

he amazes me sometimes. i should probably quote his avatar while i am at it but i am just waiting for cream right now before hitting the sack!

timlot

Banned
Less than a million for Halo 5 is seriously disappointing, .

These NPD game sales argument are so baffling. You would have though after the 4 days Halo 5 was on sale in October MS took the game of the shelves and no more retail sales over the last 2 weeks have happen. No wonder companies don't like to release sale numbers. Its just a snap shot.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
then again the dedicated market is shrinking at a pretty alarming pace so it was bound to catch up with even the biggest titles sooner or later.

Dedicated what? If the market shrinks, that leaves the hard core behind, not the casuals. Hardcore Xbox owners are the ones who buy Halo games, well they did. My theory is they are aging and the game has not matured along with them.

kswiston

then again the dedicated market is shrinking at a pretty alarming pace so it was bound to catch up with even the biggest titles sooner or later.

Attach rate should go up with shrinking install bases. Unless you are taking about digital sales, but those aren't a big enough factor yet to make a huge difference.

hawk2025

Correct me if Im wrong but Halo reach/3 both did ~3.3m NPD, Halo 5 doing ~1m is like the biggest drop I have ever seen for any franchise ever...damn WTF

I dunno, how did Judgment and God of War Ascension sell back when they released? I don't recall the numbers, but they were pretty massive drops.

Elandyll

Banned
How is being #1 despite being an end of the month release and an exclusive a flop?
Because everything else was relatively low too (AC in particular has got to be a huge disappointment imo). Understand that Halo is (was) a monster franchise, only comparable to Gran Turismo, COD, Fallout, Elder Scrolls or GTA (considering it is only on 1 platform generally).

Selling under 1m in its US opening week is a huge fall, whether you end up topping the monthly chart or not.

What tripped the PS4 appears to not have been Halo at all (it sold about the same or a little under last year it seems, to be confirmed), but hugely attractive November only bundles and the hope for widespread $299 deals around BF in my opinion.

These NPD game sales argument are so baffling. You would have though after the 4 days Halo 5 was on sale in October MS took the game of the shelves and no more retail sales over the last 2 weeks have happen. No wonder companies don't like to release sale numbers. Its just a snap shot.

You could spin it a million ways to try to make it not look so bad but it is disappointing for Microsoft especially because it's probably one of the best games in the series.

lets see the PS4 numbers, if its down YoY even after a pricedrop, thats not healthy.

This makes even less sense to me, especially since halo didn't make the splash we all thought it would.

Boke1879

Considering most sales are frontloaded and considering COD launched a week later and you have BF launching in 5 days. It's facing stiff comp.

Seriously under 1 million is very disappointing even for 5 days on the market. For Halo mind you

Or Gears could drop as well. Judgement did horribly for a Gears title.

I think if you look at the Halo franchise they had Halo 4 which people didn't like the multiplayer of and played other games instead which may have been damaging, but they also had MCC which was broken and shouldn't have released in that state and that was definitely damaging.

Compare it to Gears, Judgment is a bit like ODST, it was $60, ODST lacked its own multiplayer mode which Judgment had and people didn't like and it lacked Horde mode but the campaign (imo) was still good, it was a lesser selling title but so was ODST and that didn't seem to cause any significant issues to Reach which launched a year later.

Gears has had 2.5~ years between Judgment in March 2013 and Ultimate Edition in late August 2015; Ultimate Edition looked great, faithful to the original, it worked and includes Gears 1-J in their Xbox 360 form for $40... I think Gears of War 4 will have a good release given its had the one thing Halo hasn't had and thats a nice rest. Theres been something Halo related released at retail at the end every year since 2007 with the exception of 2008 (but two titles in 2009) and 2013 (I don't think Spartan Assault/Strike are particularly relevant to be included).

Now, Gears 4 may well be down on Gears 3 opening, in fact i'd say its very likely but by "Or Gears could drop as well" I assume we're talking on a similar level to Halo 5 rather than just a not quite selling a much. The Halo figures in NPD show (I believe) Halo was selling about the same amount of copies at launch in NPDs across 3, Reach and 4 but each time the game released earlier in the month (25th - 3, 14th - Reach, 6th - 4) which surely is somewhat of a decline just not necessarily such a glaring one (as 5 is anyway).

If Gears of War 4 hits all the right notes I think that will come across well to consumers, the franchise has had a decent rest and without the glaring and more minor issues that Halo has had...

I think there are multiple reasons why Halo is down, 4/MCC are important, franchise fatigue(?), Xbox One user base doesn't seem to be buying much in the way of exclusives to be honest (an issue in itself), perhaps other multiplayer games of a similar type have just eclipsed it... I don't think Gears has the exact same competition.

We'll have to see what happens, but Gears is a better franchise than Halo anyway so if it becomes top dog then praise be Rod and i'd love that although they need to avoid the "oh shit it sold lets make sure we have something every year thing they have with Halo, for me that is something they need to not do. I think Microsoft focusing on a fairly narrow range of titles in the past has become a problem for them, though.

COD has already stolen Halo's thunder.

We'll have to see what happens, but Gears is a better franchise than Halo anyway so if it becomes top dog then praise be Rod and i'd love that.

I agree with this. I like Gears MUCH more than Halo.

QaaQer

Dedicated what? If the market shrinks, that leaves the hard core behind, not the casuals. Hardcore Xbox owners are the ones who buy Halo games, well they did. My theory is they are aging and the game has not matured along with them.

Destiny is so much better for those past 25. Hundreds of hours of coop>twich pvp

lets see the PS4 numbers, if its down YoY even after a pricedrop, thats not healthy.

I suggest we wait until November NPD comes out considering there are consumers who held off buying a PS4 to get their hands on either the BO3 bundle or the Battlefront bundles.

An Oct + Nov 2014 NPD vs. Oct + Nov 2015 NPD comparison would be more fair.

sense

i like how you keep going back to ps4 numbers. yes they are disappointing and most likely less than expected and if it not because of cod or star wars bundles then there is cause for trouble. halo 5 on the other hand......

Halo 3, Reach, and 4 were all over 3 million in NPD.

This is also the biggest drop for a mainline title in a AAA franchise I've ever seen. Crazy

Chobel

1385.gif

Don't you know that retail sales are very frontloaded?

Blanquito

I've been out for a bit, but just wanted to pop in and say 'hi'!

I'm rocking the new avatar that Welfare gave me for losing our bet.

The market shrinking does not mean a title going to drop 60% in sales .
Plus the X1 has around the same number of consoles sold comapre to when Halo 3 came out if i remembering right .

Will depend on Nov numbers.

Under 1m and there's a big problem.
At or over 1.2mm, and there was a transfer from October imo.

Yep if PS4 sells less \same as last year Sony has a serious problem .

Sakura

Halo 3 came out September 25th.
It sold over 3 million units in the September NPD.
Halo 5 selling under 1 million would be relatively poor.

Perhaps one of his few posts where it doesn't matter if he's trolling or not. The numbers for PS4 regardless of what they are this month is not good.

Damn straight. The PS4 numbers are awful (not that the XB1 numbers are impressive to begin with).

November better pull some massive numbers.

Top Bottom