• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Elios83

Less than a million for Halo 5 is seriously disappointing, beyond the lowest possible expectations even considering the UK numbers and the amount of spin Microsoft put in the PR.
It means at this point it's just a big game like many others, it's not the defining game of the platform anymore.
Waiting for creamsugar for the hardware pies, I think PS4 and XB1 should be quite close, with 305k for the first spot and the PS4 baseline being 200k+ without a price drop it would be crazy if the price drop didn't lift sales by more than 50k units....unless everyone was waiting for the November bundles and deals but I dunno, seems a bit weird.

pastrami

Cosmic seems pretty on point though. He had the Xbox no 1 by a small margin thing sussed out in the prediction thread before this thread went live.

What was the install base like in comparison? True insanity. Some people even thought Titanfall numbers were underwhelming (crazy people).

So what are we going to get in this thread if < 1 million is true. Halo has long legs? Bundles? Halo is a global brand? Digital accounts for 50% of the sales?

CosmicQueso is on point because he has NPD numbers.

Oops, sorry, Titanfall was under 900k. ~870k I think. So Halo 5 probably beat it, depending on how close to 10% John Harker is talking. But it definitely had a much better attach rate, ~35% I believe.

I wonder how close the 10% is to the actual attach rate (aka how much above) for Halo 5.

That gives us a pretty decent range, no?

> ~840k and below < 1000k

why people keep blaming MCC?
this genre is in decline. you can see the effort activision is doing to make cod replicate modern warfare success. on the other hand we can see that the rpg genre is becoming more popular.

The genre is still huge with games like Destiny, Battlefront, and Battlefield. The Halo and CoD brands are just in decline whether it's due to franchise fatigue and/or games souring the fanbase like 4/MCC and even with CoD's decline it's still bigger than pretty much everything else apart from GTA. RPGs aren't that big in the US aside from Bethesda games(atleast in comparison to shooters).

I wonder how close the 10% is to the actual attach rate (aka how much above) for Halo 5.

That gives us a pretty decent range, no?

> ~840k and below < 1000k

I believe that would be correct. We are somewhere between 840k and 999k for Halo 5.

I can't believe I just typed that.

FATALITY

Banned
man i hate this term so much
"insert a game" killer

so annoying.
i already saw people labeling horizon as a the witcher killer
ffs

CLEEK

why people keep blaming MCC?
this genre is in decline. you can see the effort activision is doing to make cod replicate modern warfare success. on the other hand we can see that the rpg genre is becoming more popular.

Of course MCC damaged the brand. On paper, it was the dream title for any Halo fan. The reality was different, to say the least. MCC was disastrous to both the Halo and Xbox brand.

Halo 5 massively under-performing is primarily be due to MCC. The shift of 360 users over to PS4 would hurt sales too, but it's not like the existing XB1 user base doesn't buy FPS games any more. CODs, Battlefield, Destiny, Titanfall, hell, even MCC, sold in the millions, and next month will see BLOPS, Battlefront and FO4 selling well on XB1 too.

Guymelef

You people can continue talking about low Halo 5 sales but still is the highest selling Xbox One exclusive, first-person shooter game of 2015, according to NPD.

then why are we focus on Halo moving units? and it did even with a PS4 pricedrop. Halo beat the dominiation of Sony month to month, even with a pricedrop and the uncharted collection. I think from losing month to month, to beating PS4 with its first pricedrop and UC collection is quite decent.

The PS4 price drop will be felt in November. If you wanted to jump in on a PS4 due to a price drop and the biggest bundles were to occur within a month, wouldn't you wait to buy? I think that happened for many potential October PS4 buyers which is evident by 3 PS4 preorders being in the top Amazon 100 for October. We won't have a clear picture of what is going on until after we look at both October and November sales. My guess is that November sales will be YUUUGE!!!

orochi91

Okay, come on. Source? One guy 'heard it on another site'. Can we get a link or a source?

Harker and Cosmic heavily hinted over the past couple pages about Halo 5 debuting less than 1 million at retail.

These people, among others, have knowledge of NPD numbers.

Bgamer90

Banned
I thought he was commenting on the hypotheses if Halo 5 sold less than 1m physical copies first week in US, but I may be optimistic..

That's how I read it too. If true though then man. Lower than I expected (1.5 million); Would definitely want to know digital stats in that case.

Top Bottom