• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

noshten

When competition is tepid and in five days a "marquee" franchise sells sub-1m.

How much did Halo 4 sell LDT in the US?
There is probably going to be lower sales for Halo 5 but that's expected since the Xbox is not a market leader in the US, MCC might have hurt the image of Halo, there are other alternatives for players.
Microsoft needs to finance some new IP exclusive to the platform that needs to recapture that "definitive game feel" that some people have talked about in the thread. I just think there is fatigue with the franchise

Ricky_R

I think if you look at the Halo franchise they had Halo 4 which people didn't like the multiplayer of and played other games instead which may have been damaging, but they also had MCC which was broken and shouldn't have released in that state and that was definitely damaging.

Compare it to Gears, Judgment is a bit like ODST, it was $60, ODST lacked its own multiplayer mode which Judgment had and people didn't like and it lacked Horde mode but the campaign (imo) was still good, it was a lesser selling title but so was ODST and that didn't seem to cause any significant issues to Reach which launched a year later.

Gears has had 2.5~ years between Judgment in March 2013 and Ultimate Edition in late August 2015; Ultimate Edition looked great, faithful to the original, it worked and includes Gears 1-J in their Xbox 360 form for $40... I think Gears of War 4 will have a good release given its had the one thing Halo hasn't had and thats a nice rest. Theres been something Halo related released at retail at the end every year since 2007 with the exception of 2008 (but two titles in 2009) and 2013 (I don't think Spartan Assault/Strike are particularly relevant to be included).

Now, Gears 4 may well be down on Gears 3 opening, in fact i'd say its very likely but by "Or Gears could drop as well" I assume we're talking on a similar level to Halo 5 rather than just a not quite selling a much. The Halo figures in NPD show (I believe) Halo was selling about the same amount of copies at launch in NPDs across 3, Reach and 4 but each time the game released earlier in the month (25th - 3, 14th - Reach, 6th - 4) which surely is somewhat of a decline just not necessarily such a glaring one (as 5 is anyway).

If Gears of War 4 hits all the right notes I think that will come across well to consumers, the franchise has had a decent rest and without the glaring and more minor issues that Halo has had...

I think there are multiple reasons why Halo is down, 4/MCC are important, franchise fatigue(?), Xbox One user base doesn't seem to be buying much in the way of exclusives to be honest (an issue in itself), perhaps other multiplayer games of a similar type have just eclipsed it... I don't think Gears has the exact same competition.

We'll have to see what happens, but Gears is a better franchise than Halo anyway so if it becomes top dog then praise be Rod and i'd love that. I think Microsoft focusing on a fairly narrow range of titles is becoming a problem for them, though.

I think Gears's ship has sailed, specially considering the circumstances the Xbone is in this gen.

I may be wrong, but I don't see it doing as well as the main three games did last gen. It's a third person shooter though, and Quantum Break promises to be great, so that may ignite more excitement towards the genre.

Playstation consoles don't have big price cuts until the slim versions come out.
It's still selling very well globally.

Maybe, but I don't see it happening this time.

If they were gonna do a $100 price drop, now would have been their chance and they passed on it.

They will likely drop to $299 next year, and later drop to $249. Either way, time will tell.

orochi91

Damn straight. The PS4 numbers are awful (not that the XB1 numbers are impressive to begin with).

November better pull some massive numbers.

Star Wars will save this holiday season.

Oh, and COD too, I suppose. But mostly Star Wars.

I expect no less than 1500K for the PS4 in November, otherwise we have a very big problem in the US.

Guymelef

lets see the PS4 numbers, if its down YoY even after a pricedrop, thats not healthy.

then why are we focus on Halo moving units? and it did even with a PS4 pricedrop. Halo beat the dominiation of Sony month to month, even with a pricedrop and the uncharted collection. I think from losing month to month, to beating PS4 with its first pricedrop and UC collection is quite decent.

Question: I hear peeps don't buy consoles for 1st party, its about 3rd party now. If Halo sales are down and Sony had a pricedrop, what givs? How is Sony down YoY by alot, if leaked numbers are accurate.

I thought it would see a HW increase, but PS4 winning every month plus with a $50 pricedrop, plus UC, I said I expect PS4 to take the month by under 50k, and MS would win Nov. by atleast 200k.

with the price drop and bundled for sure, what happened this month that they couldn't beat XBO when they beat it for the last 10 months? and then down YoY, IF True, IIDK.

Amazing.
So much concern... not a single about Halo 5...

J-Rzez

The real interesting battle is going to be this month and next between CoD and Battlefront. CoD is still the fps to beat it seems, but can star wars overcome this and will it take next month to generate additional sales if the movie is actually, well, good.

Halo selling less than 1m is interesting. I think it's either due to digital distribution, or 343 really destroyed the series with 4 and MCC and people ended up being super skeptical of its quality.

1385.gif

Don't you know that retail sales are very frontloaded?

Worth considering that the last Halo game that dropped (MCC) was entirely broken. I don't see it as terribly unlikely that there's a largish segment of the population that wasn't exactly raring to buying it day 0.

Next month will at least feel a little better due to the 3 juggernauts releasing COD, FO4, and BF. 2 of the 3 we already know are outpacing their predecessors and all evidence is that BF will be huge as well.

I think Gears's ship has sailed, specially considering the circumstances the Xbone is in this gen.

I may be wrong, but I don't see it doing as well as the main three games did last gen. It's a third person shooter though, and Quantum Break promises to be great, so that may ignite more excitement towards the genre.

I think they certainly have to prove to people why they should care about Gears still but releasing a remaster that was functional at a basic level will at least not hinder them.

Notice how the beta access with Gears mentions "early access" with the console bundles and Gears UE rather than just access, they are going to get that out to as many players as possible and try their best to prove they're not going to do a Halo 4 with the multiplayer and if they make something compelling with the multiplayer and Horde that will certainly see it do well.

Question: I hear peeps don't buy consoles for 1st party, its about 3rd party now. If Halo sales are down and Sony had a pricedrop, what givs? How is Sony down YoY by alot, if leaked numbers are accurate.

with the price drop and bundled for sure, what happened this month that they couldn't beat XBO when they beat it for the last 10 months? and then down YoY, IF True, IIDK.

lets see the PS4 numbers, if its down YoY even after a pricedrop, thats not healthy.

You seem, concerned? I think we get the picture.

EDIT: I see I was beaten. It is just amusing that you seem to post the same thing over and over, none of these are in response to anyone, I even quoted you and tried to respond as to why the numbers could be down YOY. I even asked what about the Halo concern with its numbers being down over past titles. Oh well, sorry.

oh come on, if PS4 doesn't beat last November's numbers with everything it has it would be a complete flop

of course October+November will be higher than last year

Star Wars will save this holiday season.

Oh, and COD too, I suppose. But mostly Star Wars.

I expect no less than 1500K for the PS4 in November, otherwise we have a very big problem in the US.

I mean, I don't expect 1500k (don't actually know what I expect really), but it should at the very least clear around 1.2 million. Especially given that it's Black Friday and supposedly sales are being shifted into November.

If the numbers for halo are down, I was wondering if any of that could be attributed to the success of Destiny. The irony would come from the fact that it was made by Bungie, the guys who created Halo.

Doubtful. The series peaked when halo 3 was released, despite how great halo 5 is between halo 4 and MCC, 343i killed any chance they had of changing that course.

hawk2025

Last month:

I'm dreading next month's thread a bit. Both scenarios will be full of posturing:

"Halo 5 released and still couldn't win? Wow! Clearly the Xbox and Halo brand are damaged forever. Next month will be interesting."

"A price drop and still couldn't win? Wow! Clearly momentum has been lost forever. Next month will be interesting."

Whatever happens, we all lose :p

I thought it was going to be one of the two. The last couple of pages in this thread is telling me it's both :(

Ricky_R

I think they certainly have to prove to people why they should care about Gears still but releasing a remaster that was functional at a basic level will at least not hinder them.

Notice how the beta access with Gears mentions "early access" with the console bundles and Gears UE rather than just access, I think they are going to do their best to prove they're not going to do a Halo 4 with the multiplayer and if they make something compelling with the multiplayer and Horde that will certainly see it do well.

Yeah, they need to get the MP right. I'm sure The Coalition would give it their best.

Wait, you guys actually think Halo 5 sold less than 1 million? Who revealed the numbers? LOL.

The only number i've seen is the $400 million number from MS and the numbers just don't add up. Sub 1 million would leave roughly $325 million in Halo 5 hardware sales and non USA software sales. That would also mean NBA 2k16 also sold less than a million which is highly unlikely. The numbers just don't add up unless that $500 limited edition Halo 5 bundle did monster numbers.

Chobel

Harker said barely above 10% attach right, so most likely less than 11%. We're talking about less than 940K here.

statham

This makes even less sense to me, especially since halo didn't make the splash we all thought it would.
who is we? It did what I expected. Halo had a rough time the past few years, it wasn't going to do H3 numbers. Xbox lost alot of core to PS4 that would have maybe of bought H5
Your concern trolling is just amazing.

first price drop and it does less then LY? by a decent %?

Come on guys, leave statham alone. He's been waiting 9 months for this one.
Let me enjoy this moment and next month and next.

CLEEK

Do we know how much Destiny, either vanilla or Taken King, sold on XB1 at retail in its debut month?

Replying to myself, yo!

http://gamerant.com/destiny-sales-numbers-210/

Destiny sold 6.3 million in its first month. I seem to recall last gen making up a tiny percentage (<10%). Even if XB1 only accounted for 30% of the total figure, that's still nearly 2m sales.

The disaster of MCC and the growing success of Destiny have really eaten Halo 5's lunch.

sense

Wait, you guys actually think Halo 5 sold less than 1 million? Who revealed the numbers? LOL.

The only number i've seen is the $400 million number from MS and the numbers just don't add up. Sub 1 million would leave roughly $325 million in Halo 5 hardware sales and non USA software sales. That would also mean NBA 2k16 also sold less than a million which is highly unlikely. The numbers just don't add up unless that $500 limited edition Halo 5 bundle did monster numbers.

nba 2k16 second month. that ms pr most likely counted everything around halo launch hardware, controllers, elite controllers, live memberships probably

Top Bottom