• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Aceofspades

Banned
And now Halo 5 had a lower debut than God of War III.

This is the mind boggling thing about Halo 5 sales decline. Last gen people were saying that Sony needs to have THAT Halo like exclusive that sells millions in 24 hours despite Sony IPs selling decent enough with WW appeal that doesn't usually appear at NPD.

Tables have turned this gen and Halo didn't even match the sales of GoW3.

Memento

Wait, God of War 3 sold better than Uncharted 3 in its NPD debut?

Can someone provide the numbers for comparasion? Thanks in advance.

Memento

1.1 million vs 700 thousand

Damn. It had better numbers than even TLOU then!

Now I am curious about GOW3 LTD, considering Uncharted 3 is sitting at ~10 million (according to some math done by a gaffer) and TLOU is 8 million at the very least.

I am surprised because I thought GOW3 sold something like 6 million maximum, but I guess that is not the case then?

Edit: Unless GOW is very US centric in its sales, which I could definitely see it.

Bolivar687

Banned
Wait so halo 5 sales numbers are out?

Lol where have you been. I think the number was like 935k,less than a million, bundles included.

Now I am curious about GOW3 LTD, considering Uncharted 3 is sitting at ~10 million (according to some math done by a gaffer) and TLOU is 8 million at the very least.

I am surprised because I thought GOW3 sold something like 6 million maximum, but I guess that is not the case then?

Edit: Unless GOW is very US centric in its sales, which I could definitely see it.

I'm curious about this too. At the time it seemed like it sold a few million but wasn't a runaway success. That debut is crazy.

RibMan

Well, I don't think we'll be seeing tweets like this about Halo 5:

mJyqNlc.png

Crazy how things have changed.

Has Halo 5 outsold Killzone: Shadow Fall? I honestly don't remember where SF ended up in sales.

Alo0oy

Banned

God of War appeals to the US market & Uncharted appeals to every market, in the end UC3 sold almost twice as well as GoW3 despite the better NPD debut.

Alo0oy

Banned
Crazy how things have changed.

Has Halo 5 outsold Killzone: Shadow Fall? I honestly don't remember where SF ended up in sales.

It was 2.1 million at the end of December 2013 (about a month and a few days after launch). I think Halo can exceed that by the end of November/beginning of December (not by much though).

This has always been the case from what I understand. Not quite as reliant on the US as Halo but still weighted heavily towards the US.

Alo0oy

Banned
This has always been the case from what I understand. Not quite as reliant on the US as Halo but still weighted heavily towards the US.

It sold more in the US than it did Worldwide (2.8 million vs 2.7 million).

Not as bad as Halo, but still very reliant on NA.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
So, Amazon did a pretty good job predicting this month would be fairly close. Halo 5 bundle ranked highly, and it also had a backlog of pre-orders from previous months. It could have gone either way based upon that information.

Next month, I suspect there will be a fairly large difference in sales for PS4 vs. XBO in favor of PS4:

1. Amazon is showing multiple PS4 SKU's above the XB1 SKU
2. Pre-ordered backlog of multiple PS4 SKUs (CoD, BF) from previous months
3. The multiplatform effect seems to favor the PS4 audience.

We shall see, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few hundred thousand gap between PS4 and XBO.

PS4 should be firmly > +1M by year's end in NA.

I ALSO don't believe that October's numbers are as bad as some are suggesting. Outside of Halo, there really wasn't much noteworthy software (particularly for PS4 given the huge dropoff in AC). November is having some massively heavy hitters, people are more informed about black friday deals, and the PS4 price cut will continue to have an effect (doubly so @ $299). I feel that there should be comfortable YoY gains for PS4 and they should reach 1M PS4 sales. XB1 I'm less sure about YoY gains, but they are also matching $299 and also have heavy hitting software (CoD/Fallout will do more for XB1 than Halo 5 did, for instance).

I just don't think Halo is really a huge franchise anymore that will drive hardware adoption.

RibMan

It was 2.1 million at the end of December 2013 (about a month and a few days after launch). I think Halo can exceed that by the end of November/beginning of December (not by much though).

Thanks. I knew that KZ had sold > 2m but I didn't remember if Sony put out another press release with a sales update.

I can see Black Friday and late Christmas shopping adding another 600k to the Halo 5 number, so I can see it beating Shadow Fall's figures by year-end.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo will have legs. Xbox won the month. Seems like a decent month for MS. Too bad it doesn't happen often now days.

Also, y'all need a hobby.

Rand6

Next month, I suspect there will be a fairly large difference in sales for PS4 vs. XBO in favor of PS4:
We shall see, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few hundred thousand gap between PS4 and XBO.

PS4 should be firmly > +1M by year's end in NA.

Don't forget black friday. Microsoft can still win, or at least be really close to Sony.

Do we have Uncharted Collection numbers?

I'm assuming Halo 4 (which I don't think was as bad as people say it was) trying to much to be like CoD and the Master Chief Collection's terrible technical issues cut into Halo 5's sales numbers? I'm really hoping the community doesn't tank post launch like Halo 4 since I justoordered it. Maybe I should have just waited for Reach to be backwards compatible

Magwik

Banned
I'm assuming Halo 4 (which I don't think was as bad as people say it was) trying to much to be like CoD and the Master Chief Collection's terrible technical issues cut into Halo 5's sales numbers? I'm really hoping the community doesn't tank post launch like Halo 4 since I justoordered it. Maybe I should have just waited for Reach to be backwards compatible
It's a combination of a lot of things. Overall I don't think Halo 4/MCC actually did as much damage as people think. It's probably more weighed towards the smaller install base as well as Destiny, Black Ops 3, and Battlefront. Destiny moreso than the others.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Looks like my previous post got buried under console war conversations. Yoshi is clearly under 200K since Destiny bundled = 200K. Yoshi was never going to hit 200K lol. That only went to Smash, Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, and Toad in December. Hyrule Warriors was at 190K in its first month, and Yoshi's more of a leggy title if anything. Yoshi's New Island with a hardware bundle on 3DS debuted at 160K.

Requoting my post for reference
There were no bundles on Yoshi's New Island. They had a Yoshi themed 3DS XL, but no Yoshi bundle.

Gnasher

Neo Member
Xbox wins hardware sales and halo in at number 1. Great month for MS!

Difficult to spin that into a negative, but nice to see people try :)

Top Bottom