• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - Super Mario 3D World sells just 215k, has lowest attach rate of 3D Mario titles

noobasuar

Banned
Moneys tight and I asked for a Wii U for Christmas. Did I make a mistake?

Naw you get to play some of the best retail games in the industry on the Wii U. So if you care about playing fun games instead of being a cheerleader for one of the big three than you should be fine.

Definitely the console and not the game. $250, eat the losses, put out GAMES /end

So spend $250 + $60 and invest in a system that you'll most likely only be interested in purchasing 1-2 games per year? The issue with the Wii U is way beyond the price and one publisher putting out games isn't enough

AaronB

I got it digitally, and a lot of other people probably did too. Not enough to make this a best-seller across all consoles, but the attach rate of 13.9% is probably a lot closer to 18%, in line with other 3D Mario titles.

Snaku

Banned
There really is no saving the Wii U at this point. Can't really blame third party publishers for abandoning the system, not even Nintendo can sell 3D Mario on the thing!

cafemomo

Doubtful. Theres no legitimate reason to believe this is the case. 3D Land sold amazingly well. As did Mario Kart 7 - they saved the 3DS.

Its the console, not the game.

It's the game & console

The game flopped in Japan
The game flopped in EU loosing out to some janky ass platformer
The game flopped in NA.

Nintendo needs to give 3D & 2D Mario a break.

AppleBlade

The hardware is the problem, and has been since the beginning.

But as OP says, the crazy thing is how many WiiUs must have been put in the closet by now. If you have a WiiU and you aren't buying 3D World, what the hell are you doing with it?

Nothing. ( I got one at launch and besides a spirited first month or two, it has not been played much).

gfdoom

Why is it not mentioned that those are the sales of Super Mario 3d world in it's first 8 days? Are those other Mario game numbers the sales in it's first 8 days as well?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have a Wii U. I didn't buy it.

The fact that it's a rehash of 3D Land's style, which was itself criticized for looking generic and unexciting when it was first shown, makes it a rather boring proposition.

I know the gameplay is probably phenomenal. But I think it could have had a more engaging setting or art style or something to make it seem like a must see destination.

Super Mario Galaxy wasn't just great, gameplay-wise. It was also Mario's foray into space, with brilliant new imagery, set to a thrilling orchestral score. 3D World looks like generic classic Mario with dopey music and a new suit. I'm not engaged ... That makes it something I pick up down the line.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The Wii had the highest adaption rate actually (GCN is lower too, despite being more "hardcore").

I don't think it has that much to do with the demographics of the audience, but more with "too much Mario platformers in short timeframe", despite the fact that 3D World is an excellent game.

http://abload.de/img/ertrtrbp35.png

+ New Super Luigi U

They spammed a lot of Mario titles to enhance 3DS/Wii U sales.[/QUOTE]

Yeah new Mario games don't feel like a "big events" like they used to be in the past.

SE did this mistake with FF as well. some publishers need to give series fans enough time to breath.

BY2K

Membero Americo
FPlUFCS.gif

CCIE

Banned
That is just horrible beyond words... On the other hand, shouldn't be too long till I can get a Wii U really, really cheap

ryushe

I don't know which I'm sadder about..

The fact the Wii U -- the Nintendo console of my dreams -- is floundering or the fact the world isn't playing one of, if not the best games of the year?

Seriously, if things continue in this direction, I don't even know anymore...

I got it digitally, and a lot of other people probably did too. Not enough to make this a best-seller across all consoles, but the attach rate of 13.9% is probably a lot closer to 18%, in line with other 3D Mario titles.

I thought that published sales figures for the game included the downloadable version.

The Wii had the highest adaption rate actually (GCN is lower too, despite being more "hardcore").

I don't think it has that much to do with the demographics of the audience, but more with "too much Mario platformers in short timeframe", despite the fact that 3D World is an excellent game.

http://abload.de/img/ertrtrbp35.png[ /IMG]

+ New Super Luigi U

They spammed a lot of Mario titles to enhance 3DS/Wii U sales.[/QUOTE]

Franchise fatigue makes sense, but if it is the cause then Nintendo are in big, big trouble. Mario is their single most recognisable character, without him being front and centre I don't know how they differentiate their software line up from Sony or MS. It's not like Nintendo is gushing with original IP right now.

[quote="AaronB, post: 93531377"]I got it digitally, and a lot of other people probably did too. Not enough to make this a best-seller across all consoles, but the attach rate of 13.9% is probably a lot closer to 18%, in line with other 3D Mario titles.[/QUOTE]

The 215k includes digital sales.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's such a great game. Very disappointing news.

At this point I think it's safe to say that even some of the biggest Nintendo fans aren't buying games for the Wii U.

sol_bad

I'm going to sound like an arsehole and anti Nintendo for saying this but I really hope this trend continues for their first party games.

I am annoyed and bitter for a particular reason.
I loved the SNES, the N64 and I owned a Gamecube because it had amazing games. I have not been able to play the Wii or the Wii U, I can't play the PSP or Vita either so am quite annoyed by this. I can only play games with one hand due to brachial plexus palsy. Anyway, that's my bitterness out of the way, it's simply due to being unable to play their consoles.

What I'm annoyed at with Nintendo as a company is that they keep releasing the same damn shit year after year. We have Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid and Super Smash Bros, it's always the same!!!
When are Nintendo going to try and create some new IP's and new idea's? They need more variety in their offerings. I can understand why they haven't tried creating new franchises, because their games so darn well.
This is why I hope their games continue to not sell well, so it forces Nintendo to start bringing some new idea's to the table in regards to actual games.

I know that Super Mario 3D World works with the classic controller but I'm not going to buy an entire console unless I can be promised that every game will work with the classic controller.
In my mind as well, as great as the new Mario platformer is meant to be, it's still a Mario platformer. Why can't they create a new character set in a completely different setting with entirely different gameplay mechanics to offer something new and fresh.
Does anyone know if Puppeteer sold well for example? If it has sold decently it should show Nintendo that they shouldn't be scared to create new IP's, especially with the Nintendo name attached to it.

The hardware gimmicks are fine but they honestly haven't really done much in the long run. As per the trend for Nintendo they still continue to lose 3rd party support and the hardware gimmcks are only taken advantage of by the casual games.

Sorry about my rant but I want to see Nintendo continue to grow and blossom (even if I currently can't play their consoles, I'm sure I'll be able to play a future cconsole) but I think the only way we'll see them properly grow is to not do so well so they look at their business model again.

LQX

Loving the game right now. That said, I think it is all Nintendo's fault for diluting the traditional console Mario brand by churning out so many similar incarnations in such a short span. Hell, early on many thought this was just a port of the 3DS games with a catsuit thrown in. It was a relief to find out that was not the case but I don't think many would have been shocked if it was and probably stayed away for that reason.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
to be fair, multiple hardware releases sucking out the oxygen and mind share, and it did 215k on only 9 days worth of sales, whereas Galaxy and Sunshine both released earlier in their respective first months.

Arkam

Well people like me but it in December for Christmas gifts. Let's wait for December NPD.

I feel the same way. My GF said she wanted to get me this for Xmas so I did not pick it up yet. I know she will not buy it until next week (at the soonest).

Wait til xmas is over before we nail any coffins shut ;)
Life-time sales will exceed 1M for M3DW.

Nintendo needs to realise that they're not a Wii numbers company and more like a N64, Gamecube numbers company. Everything they drop isn't automatically going to go gang busters again. Make a compelling ecosystem or at least promise one and people will buy in. That's why someone can buy a PS4 or Xbone and just sit on it because they know shit is gonna come out that they'll like guaranteed. Nintendo, especially now can't provide that level of comfort

Part of the problem has to be that the majority of the Wii U's sales were in 2012, and, after that horrible eight month software gap in 2013, I'm sure more than a few Wii U owners completely stopped engaging with the system.

I don't think it has that much to do with the demographics of the audience, but more with "too much Mario platformers in a short timeframe", despite the fact that 3D World is an excellent game.

ertrtrbp35.png

+ New Super Luigi U

They spammed a lot of Mario titles to enhance 3DS/Wii U sales.

Yup. I liken Mario platformers to Iwata's drug of choice. Man that first hit is so amazing and lasts so long, but things start falling apart as the hits become less amazing and shorter lasting. Sure, maybe once you managed to pull things together with the help of "your best friend", but eventually you're a junkie who's only way of living is semi-annual Mario platformers. Opponents of yours are laughing, your acquaintances are shocked at what you have become, and your closest family is either shouting from the rooftops for a massive life change or helping your dependency.

I don't know which I'm sadder about..

The fact the Wii U -- the Nintendo console of my dreams -- is floundering or the fact the world isn't playing one of, if not the best games of the year...?

Seriously, if things continue in this direction, I don't even know...

This isn't a new trend. This IS the new normal for Nintendo, sorry to say.

If Nintendo had appropriately priced the Wii U at $199 with a game, I would be joining you playing this gem, but unfortunately, Nintendo screwed up.

ikioi

Banned
I consider Mario 3D World to be more of a 2.5D game then a true 3D one. Its game play mechanics are basically side scrolling, just allowing for 3D movement in certain areas and in limited capacity.

Garcia

Its the console, not the game. Unfortunately.

That's true actually. Myself and several friends agree that we won't buy a WiiU until there's at least 4 or 5 major 1st party games for it. It's just not that appealing and it's been a while since its launch date.

Loving the game right now. That said, I think it is all Nintendo's fault for diluting the traditional console Mario brand by churning out so many similar incarnations in such a short span. Hell, early on many thought this was just a port of the 3DS games with a catsuit thrown in. It was a relief to find out that was not the case but I don't think many would have been shocked if it was and probably stayed away for that reason.

Man, even I'm at this point. I never thought I could get burned out on Mario, but that happened last year between NSMB2 and NSMBU. I'm not saying they were the same game, but they were both 2D Mario sidescrollers and had similar music and similar gameplay, and they released two months apart. When your Mario launch title on the successor to your last home console feels like a 3DS game that just came out a few months ago, that's a problem.

I'm not even one of these people yelling about 3D World being like 3D Land, but it is true to some degree. I think 3D World is better and handily has the best game design of the year, but at first glances it just looks like a prettier version of 3D Land... at first glance. I think people who play both would actually attest that they're both amazing, and that 3D World differs in many ways, but it's just not the same as going from Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Galaxy.

In a way I'm admitting defeat as I've been a huge defender of 3D World's style and I do stand by that and I think the game is incredible, but I think the mainstream is on the eye for a bigger leap; not just in terms of graphics, which is not a problem for 3D World, but something completely new that utilizes the new controller and makes a case for it.

jgkspsx

I don't hate Mario, but 3D Land (which I loved) was as much Mario as I need for a long time. And I plan to get through Luigi's Mansion 2 and Super Paper Mario 3D one of these days.

Its the console, not the game. Unfortunately.

I don't think the Wii U can be redeemed at this point. The branding was just awful.

It's the game as well. I think there is a 3D Mario that will cause a surge of interest, but this one was not it. It's a safe sequel to Mario 3D Land that is polished to the core, but it unfortunately doesn't move Mario into the next-gen like many had hoped.

So not only is the Wii U's install base incredibly low, that install base is largely inactive when it comes to buying software. I suppose this is what happens when you leave a console dead for 6 months, people put it aside, go back to other platforms, and don't come back.

Top Bottom