• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

blackflag

I've been carb cycling (6 days keto, 1 day high carb) for the past 10 weeks, and without fail I always get gassy the day after my high carb days. Carb metabolism is supposedly the main source of gas production in your intestines, so makes sense to be gassy after eating junk food that's mostly carbs.

The gas was normal for me when I was doing keto with carb load weekend days. I wouldn't call that carb cycling though. That sounds like CKD Keto.

Carb cycling is more like

Mon: 300g carbs
Tues: 200g
Wed: 100g
Thurs: 300g
Fri: 100g
Sat: 50g
Sun: 0g

Seems like I'm doing it right then.

Recently got into greek yogurt, mixing in berries and a lil bit of sugar free jello pudding mix makes it feel like a cheat meal hah.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like I'm doing it right then.

Recently got into greek yogurt, mixing in berries and a lil bit of sugar free jello pudding mix makes it feel like a cheat meal hah.

Berries? Sheeit

Unflavored greek yogurt + protein powder = god power

blackflag

Berries? Sheeit

Unflavored greek yogurt + protein powder = god power

Truth

Freeze that stuff for a little while (don't let it freeze solid)

I like to mix
Plain unsweetened GY
Protein powder
almond milk
almond butter

or

plain unsweetened GY
Protein powder
unsweetened pudding mix

and freeze for awhile

If you bulking you can add all kinds of stuff.

I've recently changed my diet slightly since I noticed I was gaining a tiny bit of weight. I'm 5'8 and I find my "perfect" weight to be around 155. I started eating too much healthy foods and snacking throughout the day. Here's what my typical day used to look like:

Breakfast: 2 yolks and 5 whites, 2 pieces of bread.

Snack: 2-3 hand fulls of Trailmix

Lunch: 1-2 burgers, no bread.

Snack: 2-3 hand fulls of Trailmix

Dinner: 1-2 pieces of chicken or fish with broccoli, 1 piece of bread and a salad.

Snack before bed: Again 2-3 hand fulls of Trailmix

I pretty much cut out the snacking completely and adjusted my diet as follows, i'd like to know what you guys think:

Breakfast: 2 yolk, 5 whites

Lunch: Protein shake

Dinner: 2 pieces of chicken with some broccoli or another Protein shake.

I'm not very hungry anymore. I found myself to be starving for trail mix and other snacks but ever since I cut it out, it's been pretty nice. I've been able to keep my strength at the gym and still do quite a bit of cardio.

some vitamin amd mineral deficiencies do not show any outward signs for many months. Having a very narrow variety of foods consumed puts you in danger of a micronutrient deficiency. which is more important than macronutrient ratios, that all people here seem to talk about in this thread. Very dangerous science in my view. Your diet should contain a wide variety of foods so your body has a chance to get all its vitamins and mineralS it requires.

humans used to eat all the parts of a small animal including the offal skin bones and other organs which have these neccessary vitamins and minerals. Once you restrict your self to just eating the protein part of an amimal, then you need to start getting your micronutients from other sources such as fruits nuts and vegetables.

why do macronutrient counts and ratios without doing micronutrient counts? Lazy? uninformed? Maybe a little bit of column a and a little from column b? I see a lot of people here with diets that are only a few foods the whole week.

Every food has its place in the human diet even sugar. Its the way that you use this food for whatever lifestyle you have that determines what is optimal for you at that particular time and date.

Remember that some foods compete with each other in micronutrient absorption. consuming caffeine with red meat for example, decreases your stomachs ability to absorb iron (those chilli lovers who add caffeine and cocoa to their chilli might want to limit it to just the tiniest amounts) eating food rich in magnesium will also compete with food rich in iron inhibiting its aborption.

Before undertaking any controlled diets where you are restricting food types please remember to see how varied ypur diet is and whether or not you are getting enough dietary micronutrients. Supplemental micronutrients act differently in the body and proper studies still need to be run to get more information on colloidal micronutrients in a supplement form for some vitamins and mimerals. At this point i would suggest to get it im a matural way rather than in a pill.

some vitamin amd mineral deficiencies do not show any outward signs for many months. Having a very narrow variety of foods consumed puts you in danger of a micronutrient deficiency. which is more important than macronutrient ratios, that all people here seem to talk about in this thread. Very dangerous science in my view. Your diet should contain a wide variety of foods so your body has a chance to get all its vitamins and mineralS it requires.

humans used to eat all the parts of a small animal including the offal skin bones and other organs which have these neccessary vitamins and minerals. Once you restrict your self to just eating the protein part of an amimal, then you need to start getting your micronutients from other sources such as fruits nuts and vegetables.

why do macronutrient counts and ratios without doing micronutrient counts? Lazy? uninformed? Maybe a little bit of column a and a little from column b? I see a lot of people here with diets that are only a few foods the whole week.

Every food has its place in the human diet even sugar. Its the way that you use this food for whatever lifestyle you have that determines what is optimal for you at that particular time and date.

Remember that some foods compete with each other in micronutrient absorption. consuming caffeine with red meat for example, decreases your stomachs ability to absorb iron (those chilli lovers who add caffeine and cocoa to their chilli might want to limit it to just the tiniest amounts) eating food rich in magnesium will also compete with food rich in iron inhibiting its aborption.

Before undertaking any controlled diets where you are restricting food types please remember to see how varied ypur diet is and whether or not you are getting enough dietary micronutrients. Supplemental micronutrients act differently in the body and proper studies still need to be run to get more information on colloidal micronutrients in a supplement form for some vitamins and mimerals. At this point i would suggest to get it im a matural way rather than in a pill.

It complicates things ten-fold. We still have disagreements on how much we can and should lower our carb intake to lose weight, imagine if we started discussing vitamins. You just mentioned that some micronutrients compete against each other and that is true, finding a balance of those is too much work so many people just complement with a multivitamin and a couple other supplements and call it a day.

Still, it is worth to work on some basic micronutrient guidelines for this topic. I am constantly reworking my diet to add more nutrient-rich food while staying on the correct calorie and macro intake for my goals, and making sure it is something I enjoy both cooking and eating. I have discovered that spinach and broccoli are nice staples in a diet because they can substitute a bunch of other fruits and vegetables. I have learned that Vitamin C and calcium are better taken from whole foods, while vitamin K is more effective from supplements. That you can and probably should ingest large amounts of vitamin D, but it has a balance with magnesium, and magnesium with potassium, and sodium with potassium too, so potassium is fucking important, and so on and so forth. Maybe I should be adding to this topic in the following months so people can know from which of their favorite foods to pick to satisfy their micro and macro requirements.

ILoveBish

ILovebish and other Keto friends:

How much sorbitol can you take before you get booted out of keto? Does it even get absorbed? I get varying answers, and all I know is I end up shitting out pure liquid, so I'm assuming it doesn't get absorbed and I stay in ketosis, but everyone is a little different.

Yes I ate the whole box of sugar-free wagers.

Sorbitol and malitol both spike your insulin just like sugar does. They're very high on the GI index. They may not be sugar, but they might as well be. It's a crime that products that can hurt diabetics are sold as safe for them.

The shitting, either your body rejects it like yours did, or nothing happens. I also get horrible bathroom episodes with sorbitol. And it kicks me out of keto. YMMV on that.

Anyone else do intermittent fasting?

20/4 IF here. Wouldn't change it for any reason.

ILoveBish

What are your guys views on refeed days while on a cut?

I used to do it and results were slow. When I just got strict and kept on not cheating, I got the results I wanted. YMMV. I had to make a change in how food is just fuel now instead of a treat that I live for. Not everyone is going to want to go that far. And that's completely OK. Do what you can handle.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sorbitol and malitol both spike your insulin just like sugar does. They're very high on the GI index. They may not be sugar, but they might as well be. It's a crime that products that can hurt diabetics are sold as safe for them.

The shitting, either your body rejects it like yours did, or nothing happens. I also get horrible bathroom episodes with sorbitol. And it kicks me out of keto. YMMV on that.

Thanks pal. I read mixed things about it not being absorbed which would explain why it comes out the way it does, but considering how my stomach screams for about two days and I blow ass, I think it's probably not something I should eat entire sleeves of ever again.

What are your guys views on refeed days while on a cut?

Depends on how much fat you're working with. The lower your fat percentage, the more useful cheat days get for getting your hormones / leptin levels back in line.

15%+ and I wouldn't really bother though, unless you need it psychologically.

ILoveBish

Thanks pal. I read mixed things about it not being absorbed which would explain why it comes out the way it does, but considering how my stomach screams for about two days and I blow ass, I think it's probably not something I should eat entire sleeves of ever again.

10-4 man, things like that are why I eat the same thing everyday. No surprises.

Depends on how much fat you're working with. The lower your fat percentage, the more useful cheat days get for getting your hormones / leptin levels back in line.

15%+ and I wouldn't really bother though, unless you need it psychologically.
Guess I should abstain from them for a while. I dunno what my exact % is but I know I'm above 20%.

blackflag

Depends totally on what you are doing. If carbs are at a decent level there's really no need. If Keto and lifting then a weekly or biweekly epic carb refeed is pretty much necessary.

ILoveBish

Depends totally on what you are doing. If carbs are at a decent level there's really no need. If Keto and lifting then a weekly or biweekly epic carb refeed is pretty much necessary.

That is false. Absolutely not needed. I lift plenty heavy, fully keto adapted, and i'm strict SKD. Refeed is nearly an excuse to pig out and go back to your old ways for even a day. I would not recommend it. You can bulk on keto just fine if you're pushing yourself, no need to cheat in order to get enough calories in.

blackflag

That is false. Absolutely not needed. I lift plenty heavy, fully keto adapted, and i'm strict SKD. Refeed is nearly an excuse to pig out and go back to your old ways for even a day. I would not recommend it. You can bulk on keto just fine if you're pushing yourself, no need to cheat in order to get enough calories in.

Well I did CKD Keto but I felt I didn't need carb loads every week so I did them every 2 or 3 depending on how I felt. It was necessary for me and didn't slow me down I lost about 2 or a little more every week until I hit my goal. I lost 100 lbs doing it that way and it wasn't a cheat. I followed Lyle's book.

despire

I think Blackflag is actually correct, at least concerning most of the people. You might just be an outlier. Most people would benefit from carbs sooner or later if you are lifting. Depends on the program of course. A program like yours (5/3/1) wouldn't make that much of a dent in glycogen stores compared to something with more volume.

ILoveBish

Well I did CKD Keto but I felt I didn't need carb loads every week so I did them every 2 or 3 depending on how I felt. It was necessary for me and didn't slow me down I lost about 2 or a little more every week until I hit my goal. I lost 100 lbs doing it that way and it wasn't a cheat. I followed Lyle's book.

I also lost 100lbs on keto, but when I did CKD the results were awful. And the same for everyone I know in person. Anytime there is a reefed, progress slows heavily in my experience. But if you made it work then that's terrific. I just would not say it is mandatory, it is not.

I think Blackflag is actually correct, at least concerning most of the people. You might just be an outlier. Most people would benefit from carbs sooner or later if you are lifting. Depends on the program of course. A program like yours (5/3/1) wouldn't make that much of a dent in glycogen stores compared to something with more volume.

I only do 531 because I am cutting. When I start bulking I'll switch to a more intensive program. I've made gains while cutting on skd, I really have too much energy these days, feel stupid strong for being on 1400 calories. There are plenty like me out there fully adapted. People who reefed will likely never be fully adapted in the first place, so someone telling me that a reefed is mandatory sets off alarm bells.

despire

I only do 531 because I am cutting. When I start bulking I'll switch to a more intensive program. I've made gains while cutting on skd, I really have too much energy these days, feel stupid strong for being on 1400 calories. There are plenty like me out there fully adapted. People who reefed will likely never be fully adapted in the first place, so someone telling me that a reefed is mandatory sets off alarm bells.

Yeah I'm not doubting that it hasn't worked for you. I know you've made crazy progress. I just used 5/3/1 as an example because it's more of a PL type of a routine with low reps, therefore it doesn't use that much muscle glycogen compared to a bodybuilding program for example. Though I don't know how you program your assistance lifts.

Maybe there's just something that I don't understand but AFAIK lifting uses glycogen from your muscles. And that glycogen needs to be replenished somehow, otherwise it will negatively affect your workouts sooner or later. If you are not eating carbs, then how will you replenish that glycogen? Or does keto do that too if you are adapted?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html/

ILoveBish

Yeah I'm not doubting that it hasn't worked for you. I know you've made crazy progress. I just used 5/3/1 as an example because it's more of a PL type of a routine with low reps, therefore it doesn't use that much muscle glycogen compared to a bodybuilding program for example. Though I don't know how you program your assistance lifts.

Maybe there's just something that I don't understand but AFAIK lifting uses glycogen from your muscles. And that glycogen needs to be replenished somehow, otherwise it will negatively affect your workouts sooner or later. If you are not eating carbs, then how will you replenish that glycogen? Or does keto do that too if you are adapted?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html/

You use fat stored on your body for energy. That's assuming you aren't bulking. If you are, the extra fat from your food will be used. You just need enough protein to make sure your muscle has enough to maintain, and not too much which can cause the body to turn protein into carbs like a standard diet works.

It's really all in the macros.

despire

You use fat stored on your body for energy. That's assuming you aren't bulking. If you are, the extra fat from your food will be used. You just need enough protein to make sure your muscle has enough to maintain, and not too much which can cause the body to turn protein into carbs like a standard diet works.

Yes that much I know, but I was talking about glycogen used during weight training more spesifically. AFAIK your muscles burn glycogen during intensive weight training and that is all they can use.

Sorry for not explaining properly.

Azulsky

I feel pretty good for being around 1600-1800.

Trying to gradually push up to 2300 over a month or so.

I was at 1200-1400 so long with the weight loss I got too used to it.

ILoveBish

Yes that much I know, but I was talking about glycogen used during weight training more spesifically. AFAIK your muscles burn glycogen during intensive weight training and that is all they can use.

Sorry for not explaining properly.

I'll be truthful and say I don't know. What I do in particular is workout right after I eat, when I have a insulin spike, and that has been working for me. Bro science I know. Not enough studies out there about fully keto adapted people.

Holy moly. What are your personal stats? I felt too weak when I was 1600, 1400 would be killing me.

5'11 237.5lbs last I weighed myself.

blackflag

Yes but fat stores converted to energy do not convert to glycogen. Only carbs do that. I said "pretty much mandatory" sorry, I meant it was mandatory for me. I lift for like 2 hours at a time 6 days a week most of the time. After 2 weeks I have to carb load or my performance suffers. Yes it looked like progress was slowing for me but it was just because of the water gain and glycogen stores. I still lost the fat. Some people can't handle that scale fluctuation though and it's possible some people can do fine without.

ILoveBish

Yes but fat stores converted to energy do not convert to glycogen. Only carbs do that. I said "pretty much mandatory" sorry, I meant it was mandatory for me. I lift for like 2 hours at a time 6 days a week most of the time. After 2 weeks I have to carb load or my performance suffers. Yes it looked like progress was slowing for me but it was just because of the water gain and glycogen stores. I still lost the fat. Some people can't handle that scale fluctuation though and it's possible some people can do fine without.

Understood. Glad it worked for you. I lift plenty heavy on skd and no issues even on a massive cut. And not to take anything away from what you've achieved, but if I remember correctly, you aren't natty, so your results will vary.

blackflag

I'm cutting right now on 2,500 average. Carb cycling so it depends on the day how many cals i'm having but that's the average.

I've gained a few lbs but that's because I haven't lifted in like 4 months because of a serious disk herniation. This is my 2nd week back at lifting. Lost a few inches on the waist so far.

I'm at 270 now and probably 18%. I need to get to like 240 for summer.

Shouldn't be a problem if my back stays healthy.

blackflag

Understood. Glad it worked for you. I lift plenty heavy on skd and no issues even on a massive cut. And not to take anything away from what you've achieved, but if I remember correctly, you aren't natty, so your results will vary.

i'm not now but I was the whole time I did keto. I started lifting like 3 months before I started keto. That was like 5 years ago.

ILoveBish

i'm not now but I was the whole time I did keto. I started lifting like 3 months before I started keto. That was like 5 years ago.

Gotcha. Well I've said what my experiences were. I'm personally a fan of being more strict, however I'm even more of a fan of doing what works for you personally. It took me a while to go through so many changes before I got to where I am at now, getting the results I wanted the entire time. If I had just stuck to the first thing I read, chances are I wouldn't have the results I do now.

ILoveBish

Hasn't being on such a drastic cut made you lose a bit of muscle?

What's your workout regiment?

Keto is the most muscle sparing way to cut. I've lost not a drop of muscle, but my macros have plenty of protein but not too much.

My workout routine is 531 with FSL, and my accessories are done in sets of 10/8/6/4 ramping up in weight every set.

Keto is the most muscle sparing way to cut. I've lost not a drop of muscle, but my macros have plenty of protein but not too much.

My workout routine is 531 with FSL, and my accessories are done in sets of 10/8/6/4 ramping up in weight every set.

So what's your end goal?

10% bodyfat?

grumble

Some protein will convert to sugar then to glycogen. It's not the best way to refill glycogen and yes fully adapted keto diet people do suffer performance losses at extended high intensity effort (sprint cycling for example in one pretty good study) but they do okay, not as well but okay in the weight room though recovery is usually an issue as well. The op is unusual, combined with his huge caloric deficit his progress is remarkable and I attribute that in part to good genes and former (?) obesity.

ILoveBish

Some protein will convert to sugar then to glycogen. It's not the best way to refill glycogen and yes fully adapted keto diet people do suffer performance losses at extended high intensity effort (sprint cycling for example in one pretty good study) but they do okay, not as well but okay in the weight room though recovery is usually an issue as well. The op is unusual, combined with his huge caloric deficit his progress is remarkable and I attribute that in part to good genes and former (?) obesity.

My day has arrived.

grumble

My day has arrived.

Let's not get a big head haha, but it's pretty great progress especially considering what most consider a very suboptimal diet for strength gain in both calories (especially) and macros. I'm sure a large caloric store in excess fat must have been part of it but not everyone could do it.

ILoveBish

Let's not get a big head haha, but it's pretty great progress especially considering what most consider a very suboptimal diet for strength gain in both calories (especially) and macros. I'm sure a large caloric store in excess fat must have been part of it but not everyone could do it.

I was kidding. But yes, I've lost over 100lbs of fat, so I'm sure I had plenty to spare for energy. This is really the first time I've been truly adapted fully, before I had cheat days and cycles and never made it. Being able to do what I do on the calories I'm on still doesn't make sense. But I've never been fully adapted previous to the last 2 or so months. The difference is enormous. I always feel so strong and energy is through the roof.

I am stronger, more energetic and feel younger at age 36 then I did at age 18. I wish more people would try it and see what it's like.

Bit-Bit

I started the Warrior Diet this week except I've swapped the lunch and dinner due to having to eat lunch with my fiance. It's actually a really easy to maintain diet and I'm already seeing my stomach be not as bloated.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I started the Warrior Diet this week except I've swapped the lunch and dinner due to having to eat lunch with my fiance. It's actually a really easy to maintain diet and I'm already seeing my stomach be not as bloated.

You're not doing the Warrior Diet, then. You're doing the "Bit-Bit Diet" that was concocted after reading about the Warrior Diet.

GodofWine

Anyone else eat mostly the same thing every day?

I seriously would eat chicken, quinoa and varied veggies for lunch and dinner if my wife didn't need "variety".

I do enjoy all kinds o food, but I get more enjoyment from how food makes me feel and how it effects physique goals.

Azulsky

If i dont batch cook then I am eating a rotation of 2 or 3 dead animals and 2-3 types of plant matter.

Batch cooking is like lunch for the whole week type setup.

It doesnt bother me. It drives other people i know a bit crazy, they cant eat the same thing 2 meals in a row.

I get a bit more inventive on the weekends.

In terms of buying meats in a grocery store, what should I be looking for? Any specific brands or fat percentages? I tend to get overwhelmed by choices when in the meat aisle. I'd like to make fairly simple and healthy recipes using chicken but I'm open to red meats in moderation.

Also any recommendations for deli meats?

For reference I have a Walmart and a Trader Joe's near me, but tend to go to the Walmart for its convenient distance.

Chocobro

I do. I cook a week's worth of chicken breast and rice on Saturday, in addition to four days' worth of other food. Then I cook three days' worth of that same food on Wednesday. I also prepare snacks for the day in the morning.
It's easier for me to have a meal plan rather than do IIFYM kind of thing with food diversity. I don't have time for that and I need to make sure I'm able to progress in my lifts when at the gym.

Top Bottom