• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

The delay to March doesn't really bug me.

What does bug me, however, is Nintendo continuing to be secretive. Like, this thing is out in 9 or so months from E3. The hardware almost assuredly will be finalized by then and those making games know what the system will be by then. They've seemingly reached a point where things are hopefully set in stone. I just don't see what the point of showing only Wii U Zelda is at this point. Recent history has shown Nintendo being secretive is generally not a great thing.

More time to develop games for a more fleshed out launch isn't a bad thing. it just doesn't really inspire much confidence though when looking at Nintendo's output over the last few years and wondering if we're in for a good or a bad surprise knowing they needed extra time to get more games ready for something they've supposedly been gearing up to for a while now.

Ansatz

I have no faith that Nintendo will be able to provide enough software to prevent a game drought after the launch window.

Even if they do release notable games each month chances are they won't necessarily be something you're interested in, so some people will inevitably experience drought periods.

They'll also space things out like so (random examples):

May - Mario & Sonic
June - ALttP 3D Remake
July - Mario Party

In other words sandwich a highly sought after game between two meh releases. But I don't think there will be months of literal emptiness as was the case for Wii U.

ryseing

Just a matter of tastes. I'm not into JRPGs so that ruled out a lot of the third party stuff. Not into Monster Hunter. Pokemon Y was my first Pokemon game and I wasn't impressed. Don't really like Fire Emblem etc.

So I'd been a lot happier just playing ALBW, Mario 3D Land, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart 7 etc. on Wii U than having to buy a 3DS. So I'm looking forward to the NX console at least hopefully being able to play all the portable games (even if the reverse isn't true). A lot of portable games tend to be too Japanese or too niche in general for me.

But yeah, the 3DS library is killer for people who are bigger Nintendo fans and are into JRPGs/Japanese games for sure. Not as much for someone like me that's more of a mainstream AAA gamer who really only likes Nintendo's flagpole games (Mario, Zelda, MK, Smash, Metroid, Star Fox etc.).

Kid Icarus? Luigi's Mansion? I'd argue that the 3DS has the best variety of any Nintendo console since the N64, and this is coming from a "mainstream AAA gamer".

Not trying to insult your personal tastes, really. Opinions and all that.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Kid Icarus? Luigi's Mansion? I'd argue that the 3DS has the best variety of any Nintendo console since the N64, and this is coming from a "mainstream AAA gamer".

Not trying to insult your personal tastes, really.

Didn't like either of those. Controls never clicked with me in KI and I found LM boring after five hours or so.

When it comes to existing Nintendo IPs really all I still enjoy are (in no particular order): Mario platformers, Zelda, Metroid games (true 2d or 3D games, not Other M or FF), Mario Kart, Smash, Star Fox, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Yoshi and Kirby platformers, F-Zero (if it was still around) and occasionally some of their puzzle games and off beat stuff like Phoenix Wright.

But most of my time goes to FPS/TPS, WRPGS/ARPGs, fighting games and racing sims anymore. Along with some rogue-lites. So I grew up with Nintendo, but my tastes have mostly moved away from their games and Japanese games in general with the exception of the big Nintendo franchises stuff and some less typical Japanese stuff like the Souls games or MGS games.

Neoxon

This is why third party games are important. They fill in the first party gaps. Nintendo simply cannot do it alone.
Theoretically they could, but Nintendo has to consolidate all of their software under one shared platform. Western third parties likely won't return for a long time, if ever.

pooh

What does bug me, however, is Nintendo continuing to be secretive. Like, this thing is out in 9 or so months from E3. The hardware almost assuredly will be finalized by then and those making games know what the system will be by then. They've seemingly reached a point where things are hopefully set in stone. I just don't see what the point of showing only Wii U Zelda is at this point. Recent history has shown Nintendo being secretive is generally not a great thing.

More time to develop games for a more fleshed out launch isn't a bad thing. it just doesn't really inspire much confidence though when looking at Nintendo's output over the last few years and wondering if we're in for a good or a bad surprise knowing they needed extra time to get more games ready for something they've supposedly been gearing up to for a while now.

Personally, I suspect the delay until 2017 is based more on Sony and Microsoft's recently leaked plans for console upgrade. Both Microsoft and Nintendo didn't pay close enough attention to the gaming market last time around, and it cost them. They need to see what Sony and MS have in store before revealing the concept and pricing, and they may even want to revise specs to compete with the likes of the PS4K. In any case, I think it's wise that they are careful about how it's announced and released.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
So long as third parties continue to avoid Nintendo consoles there will never be a satisfactory flow of original, quality software.

Even if Nintendo had the capacity to double their Wii U output they still wouldn't do it because they don't want their evergreens canabalizing one another. Their games sell for months and a few of them sell for years.

The gaps are intentional. They have no plans to change.

camby

I really wish Nintendo would just stop with hardware and just be a great software provider. I think that would make consumers very happy.

Personally, I suspect the delay until 2017 is based more on Sony and Microsoft's recently leaked plans for console upgrade. Both Microsoft and Nintendo didn't pay close enough attention to the gaming market last time around, and it cost them. They need to see what Sony and MS have in store before revealing the concept and pricing, and they may even want to revise specs to compete with the likes of the PS4K. In any case, I think it's wise that they are careful about how it's announced and released.
Other than RAM, the specs are more or less set in stone I'd assume. They can't spend the summer months and onward (or now, even) retooling CPU/GPU/sound components because of whatever Sony and Microsoft reveal at E3 or a later show w/ their upgraded consoles.

They already said it's delayed to March b/c the games aren't ready; I'd imagine they're going to prioritize developing games on w/e specs are in place now versus doing reactionary upgrades and having the games suffer in development as a result.

Fat4all

Banned
I'd be perfectly happy if the launch window has a lot of killer Wii U ports.

There's a lot of money to be made off those games getting ported.

Mdk7

It's a valid reason shrouded completely in an invalid reason.

What in the F have they been working on for the past like 3 years?

You don't miss a major holiday season lightly.
I agree. Plus, if the console is pretty much there (and could have been out for the holidays), what is the sense of not showing it at E3, with the whole world watching you?

Zalman

They could probably have launched it this November with a stellar lineup, but it's important to maintain momentum past launch. That's what they failed to do with Wii U. A March release is fine.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
All this embarassing situation also confirms that there are and probably will be almost zero third party support for this thing.
First party games are not the only nor the best way of creating a launch or first year lineup

Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it. Instead, every single generation, all we get from him is a whole bunch of “Please understand” and “I apologize for the inconvenience”.

Here’s some examples.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...0607qa/02.html

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwat...ware-with-3ds/

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...on-iwata-vows/

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629
wow, well done. hah!

I agree. Plus, if the console is pretty much there (and could have been out for the holidays), what is the sense of not showing it at E3, with the whole world watching you?

This holiday is likely going to be stuffed with the new Playstation and Xbox iterations, as well as VR and god knows what else. Not launching the NX this holiday is not a bad idea, and people are continuing with the false notion that E3 is that big of a deal. It isn't not a big deal, but it doesn't really play a huge role in sales; case in point, the Wii U.

When they announce the console in a Direct or their own independent show, the word will still get out there, the media channels will cover it-- it doesn't need to be at E3 to generate excitement.

What delay? When was it announced to be coming out before March?

It isn't not a big deal, but it doesn't really play a huge role in sales; case in point, the Wii U.

I'm pretty sure no one has argued merely being at E3 = success. E3 acts as an amplifier, if your message or product sucks, E3's not going to save it (probably even hurt it actually, which actually was demonstrated by the Wii U)

I'm pretty sure no one has argued merely being at E3 = success. E3 acts as an amplifier, if your message or product sucks, E3's not going to save it (probably even hurt it actually, which actually was demonstrated by the Wii U)

Right, but people are making a much bigger deal about E3 than it is. It can help you make noise, but holding independent events can too.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It isn't not a big deal, but it doesn't really play a huge role in sales; case in point, the Wii U.

I don't think that your case is as clear as you think. The E3 reveal of Wii U was abysmal and actually might have had an impact in sales, but not on the positive side.

Wonder how many launch titles will be there.

Well I guess we will have Zelda which should be more than enough...just kidding, I guess March to September/October is launch window. So Zelda and maybe 2 or 3 games to show off the new console, plus maybe Smash and Splatoon remakes for N. Maybe Mario Maker in June/July for the summer and then September/October a new 3D Mario...

I don't think that your case is as clear as you think. The E3 reveal of Wii U was abysmal and actually might have had an impact in sales, but not on the positive side.

Indeed. All I'm saying is that some have been saying how it's some terrible move to not have it at E3. They'll show it later. The media will get involved as usual.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Indeed. All I'm saying is that some have been saying how it's some terrible move to not have it at E3. They'll show it later. The media will get involved as usual.

Still not the same. More media for several days to go through everything in details vs. one time event.

Notice how Microsoft and Sony used the reveal events to detail the hardware and concept while the games were shown at E3.

AniHawk

Still not the same. More media for several days to go through everything in details vs. one time event.

Notice how Microsoft and Sony used the reveal events to detail the hardware and concept while the games were shown at E3.

i'm wondering it they'll not have some one-off event and instead have a couple (one for reveal, details, pricing, and a couple games, and another for third-party and first-party stuff near and after release... through the first half of the 2017 calendar year basically), or even do a sort of tour of nx stuff before launch like what they did with the gamecube and essentially did with wii u games at best buy during e3.

Wasn't Space World or Nintendo World or whatever the hell they call it (lol) more than one day?

You keep making it sound like they're going to do a one time event. You don't know their plans just like us. For all we know they could have an event then put it into Best Buys and other stores. Or maybe have a multiday event.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't really believe it.

That is, I believe they don't have enough third party support given how asinine they've again been with their secrecy.

But an open world Zelda and another game will be enough to satisfy any early adopter until March, when apparently the rest of the games hit. It's not ideal, but it's better than launching right after the holidays. Unless of course the rest of the games will only hit in summer, and they're postponing to March precisely to tide over gamers with just Zelda and another game until summer. That would mean a royal fuck up in planning their own dev teams though.

Above all I just really wanted them to say that NX is on the cutting edge of technology and the APUs weren't ready, and now there's less chance of that lol.

NimbusD

Is there really that many games that will be ready by march that won't be by december?

idk I think that's worrying.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wasn't Space World or Nintendo World or whatever the hell they call it (lol) more than one day?

You keep making it sound like they're going to do a one time event. You don't know their plans just like us. For all we know they could have an event then put it into Best Buys and other stores. Or maybe have a multiday event.

Will they pay the expenses for the media. Will the media consider it worthy to spend that money just for Nintendo. At E3 they get to cover more than one company, so it's more cost efficient.
Will the media go to the Best Buy to check the games?
Because this is what I was talking about.

AniHawk

Will they pay the expenses for the media. Will the media consider it worthy to spend that money just for Nintendo. At E3 they get to cover more than one company, so it's more cost efficient.
Will the media go to the Best Buy to check the game?
Because this is what I was talking about.

afaik, nintendo does do that for media. they would have them come over, demo games, and then send them off with an embargo date for their announcements through nintendo directs. i think that's how previews of a link between worlds got out so soon after the nintendo direct that revealed it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
afaik, nintendo does do that for media. they would have them come over, demo games, and then send them off with an embargo date for their announcements through nintendo directs. i think that's how previews of a link between worlds got out so soon after the nintendo direct that revealed it.
A lot of publishers do that, but generally not for multiday events.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
point taken. i imagine nintendo would be focusing people towards the major launch titles though (mario, zelda, and maybe something else).

Yes, and but this was also my point. E3 would have helped a lot with covering more than just the major things. Now I understand that probably something happened and they are not ready to show the NX yet so they're forced to do it otherwise, but I don't like this excuse that E3 is suddenly irrelevant because this happened.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
all those times they didnt do shit, they just talked. Atleast now they are skipping the holidays to avoid launching a console with no games. Now dont get me wrong, Im not buying this shit
near launch unless they prove they have the support for it.

Skipping the Christmas holidays season is not a noble action they are taking lightly, it is more of a "holy $hit we cannot believe we have to do this..." moment for a family oriented gaming console maker. They are not reassuring the market that everything is fine, but they just need a bit more polish for some games... To miss the holidays, skip E3, leave Wii U again with a super barren schedule, delay Zelda again, etc... they are giving warning signs without explaining much else at all.

AniHawk

Yes, and but this was also my point. E3 would have helped a lot with covering more than just the major things. Now I understand that probably something happened and they are not ready to show the NX yet so they're forced to do it otherwise, but I don't like this excuse that E3 is suddenly irrelevant because this happened.

e3 was slowly becoming irrelevant outside of nintendo doing this, but nintendo's urging that idea along. major studios who have basically always been there deciding they're done with the event isn't the same as sony taking their ball and going home in 2007 and 2008. it's been a kind of slow bleed for the last couple of years and 2016 is notably worse off the bat.

there's also something to consider in that nintendo might not know what the competition is up to at e3. they do run a risk of really awesome game announcements being upstaged by another version of xbox or playstation, and would prefer to just have an event to themselves so that doesn't happen (because this basically happened with the gamecube and xbox in 2001). it could be especially hard if they film everything in advance and can't make edits as needed due to an announcement with sony or microsoft (they were able to do this in 2005 which led to the electroplankton extravaganza).

or perhaps they do know what microsoft and sony are up to, and don't want a direct 1-on-1-on-1 comparison that dilutes their messaging. it could be that they want to go afterwards so they have 'the final say' and can put the nx in the best light with the context of the other platforms in mind.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People wanted this thing in holiday 2016, december whatever, now it's coming in march and it's suddenly "severely lagging"?

What's with the hyperbole? Severely lagging in software, huge disaster. Maybe the games just needs a few extra months of polish?

Missing Christmas in U.S. and E.U. is a big big missed potential revenue opportunity, you do not take it lightly. I know Nintendo prides itself on polish, but I do not think that a few coats of polish for some of their games (what have their console teams been working on considering how Wii U was supported? What problems have they been facing?) would make them chose to ship in March instead of November/December of the previous year.

Vena

Missing Christmas in U.S. and E.U. is a big big missed potential revenue opportunity, you do not take it lightly. I know Nitnendo prides on polish, but I do not think that a few coats of polish for some of their games (what have their console teams been working on considering how Wii U was supported? What problems have they been facing?) would make them chose to ship in March instead of November/December of the previous year.

Hardware or hardware yields are the only real explanation. Can't ship and sell a thing you don't have or can't produce in volume or reliably. Software is just a good excuse as it reveals nothing on the hardware.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well, if you say so.

Launching a console has very little to do with games, as history has shown

It could have all to do it with games and games alone, but in such a case it seems the situation there would have to be disastrous in terms of software delivery with a mad hope to still fix it it 3-4 months to miss the holidays season considering it is when they make the most sales historically. I do not want to think their software studios, after not a huge flood of Wii U titles, are in such a bad place... So there may be other issues at play here.

Top Bottom