• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX launching in March to make sure there are games to go along with it

MomoQca

I'm just thinking purely from a dev cycle perspective, a 2018 past February release would mean it took them longer than four years to release a new game and that's disastrous management on Nintendo's part. Unless of course they're making something on a massive scale, like an MMO which then explains why they needed more time.

Fair enough. That said, isn't the Animal Crossing team also responsible for Splatoon? If so, I wonder if (and how) they'll juggle between two large IPs.

MuchoMalo

Banned
...games they cant showcase at E3 despite the console coming out 9 months later? Forgive me for being a wee bit skeptical, especially after seeing the droughts that plagued the WiiU.

Yeah, it's either set to be delayed or not a console at all. Or it's just because there are no third-party games so they need to get more mini-projects ready.

mark_79

Banned
Zelda alone isn't enough to launch the NX. For all the plaudits each game receives it isn't a Mario, GTA or even FIFA (sales-wise).

Like everybody, I haven't a clue what Nintendo has up its sleeves but it better me a lot more than Link riding around a pretty meadow on horseback.

jmizzal

And the games will be ready a couple of months later by March..?.

I totally understand the reasoning, but it baffles me that they didn't have the games ready for the end of this year, that should've been the priority.

Yea I don't get how games won't be ready in November but ready in March. I think it would be better to get the NX out in Nov. Then spread out the games for a year. WiiU had games at launch but not huge 1st party games, and then nothing until like August.

So xbone 2 is the console expected for this year from AMD?

I was expecting PS Neo to be 2017, but I though for sure NX would be too.

jjasso21

A bit disappointed, but it is definitely the right decision. We need quality games for when the system launches. Do we know about any that were announced other than Zelda?

Mik317

Are you on drugs? The N64 launch was the worst Nintendo home console launch of all time. It came out with TWO games, dude. TWO! Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings. That was literally it. No other Nintendo console has come out with such a pathetic amount of games available on day one. It took the N64 three months to get to double digits in quantity of games available.

Mario 64 was a killer app and justified the purchase. I don't expect Nintendo to match that.The Wii also had a solid launch.,..but again Wii Sports was the killer app. In liu of a killer app, having a dearth of actual good games is ideal.

Yeah, it's either set to be delayed or not a console at all. Or it's just because there are no third-party games so they need to get more mini-projects ready.

I wouldnt be surprised if the rumored "stacked lauch lineup" was just Zelda, a proof of concept minigame collection and a bunch of WiiU remasters/third party late ports. REALLY hoping theres more than that though.

Zoon

I don't believe a word of this. I think they were planning a controller similar to the fake leaks and after they saw people's reaction they changed plans causing the delay.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Despite all that restructuring, sounds like Nintendo's pipeline is just as drought prone as ever.

Supporting their next box after looking at the WiiU's fate feels like a poor use of my cash.

Neoxon

As much as I don't like the decision, I get it. The last thing Nintendo needs is to rush the platform to market with next to no games to go with it.

balohna

Hope we at least get a "what the fuck is it?" explanation at E3 and some trailers. Shit, just show me some logos.

I'll almost definitely buy a new Nintendo console, unless they go "lol everything is free to play". Love the Wii U, fantastic first party library and some of the best local multiplayer ever.

Josh5890

Mario 64 was a killer app and justified the purchase. I don't expect Nintendo to match that.The Wii also had a solid launch.,..but again Wii Sports was the killer app. In liu of a killer app, having a dearth of actual good games is ideal.

There will never be a more perfect launch game for any console as Super Mario 64

I am liking Nintendo's honesty.

Admitting WiiU Zelda needed more work, admitting that the NX will release 3 months later than the busiest shopping period of the year as there will be not enough games.

March is a good time. In time for Easter, out when most people have recovered from Christmas, out so when the school holidays come a few months later there is still a good demand for it.

Nintendo I hope you show us the NX soon, and some games you have in development, get us excited

Neoxon

Man I want to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt but the Wii U KILLED my love for Nintendo and I don't see things changing. Where was Metroid, Animal Crossing, Zelda (non remasters) etc. We got 1 3D Mario and 1 side scroller. Why don't they make a console Pokemon?

I just have absolutely no faith in Nintendo's development process. It is like they have to time the release of Zelda to hit both platforms simply so they can say each one has a "new" Zelda title. I doubt there will even be another new one for the NX after this one.

I understand that they are perfectionists when it comes to game performance but drip feed of games is fucking ridiculous and is absolutely exacerbated by no 3rd party support.

The b tier Nintendo releases only reinforce my belief that they have lost touch with how to develop games.
That's on Game Freak, who prefers to keep mainline Pokémon games on handhelds. As long as they make the mainline games, they'll never come to consoles....unless the shared platform theory pans out & the console can play the handheld's games.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
All this doom and gloom surrounding Nintendo right now because the NX will miss the holiday season. At least what I noticed from the thread that went up during the conference call.

Okay.

If the console has quality games launching with it I'm sure Nintendo will be fine. I love watching GAF melt down.

I hate this dismissive attitude that only addresses console wars. The issue isn't really that NX is coming out in March along with games, but that Wii U owners are getting nothing for at least two years prior to NX's release. And because they're getting an abysmal amount of games between now and then, THEN the issue becomes NX releasing in March because nothing is coming out.

Shauni

Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it. Instead, every single generation, all we get from him is a whole bunch of “Please understand” and “I apologize for the inconvenience”.

Here’s some examples.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...0607qa/02.html

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwat...ware-with-3ds/

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...on-iwata-vows/

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

Maybe I'm missing something with this list, but isn't the last one completely different from the others? Or is this the point? I'm not really sure I understand, because the tone of the post makes it seem like it's in line with all the others, but it's like...the exact opposite?

usmanusb

Looking at current situation it is very much obvious that Nintendo lacks good strategist and planners especially when they know for years wiiu trajectory.

Hermii

There was also a developer hiring increase as well as reorganizing offices and buildings. A lot of said changes will take time to pay off. It was long term planning, not short, and long term doesn't mean a year or two.

Yes its long term planning but it started several years ago and will hopefully pay off with the NX. There isn't a short term solution to magically create more games out of thin air. So as I said if things improve now, Iwata deserves a large part of the credit, not so much Kimishima.

phanphare

Banned
Despite all that restructuring, sounds like Nintendo's pipeline is just as drought prone as ever.

Supporting their next box after looking at the WiiU's fate feels like a poor use of my cash.

unless the games excuse is just a front and they can't produce enough consoles for a worldwide launch in 2016

which seems more likely considering what we have heard through the grapevine

Maybe I'm missing something with this list, but isn't the last one completely different from the others? Or is this the point? I'm not really sure I understand, because the tone of the post makes it seem like it's in line with all the others, but it's like...the exact opposite?

No, you're correct. NX is the only case where we see evidence of a specific action Nintendo is taking (not releasing during the holidays) to avoid software droughts, apart from "intensifying software development."

MDave

Even the PS4 suffered from the infamous meme 'no games' in the first year or two of its release. And that is a platform that had full third party support! I doubt Nintendo will enjoy the same third party support as Sony did before launch and well, them waiting to show the NX off until there are enough games to show off doesn't sound too good to me when it does release with 'enough' games. I wish them all the best though, they need to start the hype this fall and start that rollercoaster of anticipation when we do start to see what the NX will offer. Hopefully with the same initial excitement the Wii brought.

Tons of people stampeding and running straight into the line to play the Wii at E3, if they can do that again with NX ... ah wait.

Yea I don't get how games won't be ready in November but ready in March. I think it would be better to get the NX out in Nov. Then spread out the games for a year. WiiU had games at launch but not huge 1st party games, and then nothing until like August.
It may be less about the November games not being ready until March, and more like January/February/March games not being ready until April/May/June. Launching in March potentially sets them up for a strong launch, and a strong Spring, Summer and Fall. The GameCube had a really strong launch and then nothing for almost 5 months before Resident Evil came out.

Basically, Nintendo may want their cake and eat it too. It's possible that they could have launched this holiday with a strong lineup, but left themselves with another drought until March/April. Or they could've done what you suggested and have a softer launch, and spread out the other games. NX around March makes sense if they want to launch with a strong lineup and still have regular releases throughout the remainder of the year, whereas maybe a November launch wouldn't have allowed that.

I don't know. I'm trying to be positive. I am! Nintendo makes it really hard sometimes, but damn it, I'm trying. :)

I think we have to be hearing SOMETHING soon at this point given that we're less than a year away from the thing launching.

And yet Nintendo feel confident enough to not announce the thing any time soon.

The timing just seems unreasonably tight for third parties, especially when the NX is described as being something new (rather than an iterative design), and Nintendo have delayed the console launch because they're struggling to get their own games finished.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I hate this dismissive attitude that only addresses console wars. The issue isn't really that NX is coming out in March along with games, but that Wii U owners are getting nothing for at least two years prior to NX's release. And because they're getting an abysmal amount of games between now and then, THEN the issue becomes NX releasing in March because nothing is coming out.

Where are you getting this "nothing for two years" nonsense? Take a look at this list of new Nintendo-published Wii U games in North America, March 2015 to March 2017:

====2015====
March
5) Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (eShop)
20) Mario Party 10

May
29) Splatoon

September
11) Super Mario Maker

October
16) Yoshi's Wooly World
22) Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (eShop)

November
13) Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival
20) Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

December
4) Xenoblade Chronicles X
11) Devil's Third

====2016====
March
4) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
18) Pokkén Tournament
25) Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge (eShop)

April
22) StarFox Zero
22) StarFox Guard

June
24) Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games
24) Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

November?
??) Paper Mario: Color Splash

====2017====
March
??) The Legend of Zelda Wii U

I mean that looks to me like 19 new games in the roughly 24 months leading up to the NX launch.

GamerJM

Banned
Then why aren't they showing it at E3? Even if they don't like to show their cards too early, devoting all of that floor space to Zelda makes no sense. In fact, why don't they at least show the NX version of Zelda?

Hopefully they actually carry out this plan, Wii U was an absolute disaster launch in my eyes. Especially with how they kept delaying out the "launch window" period to nearly absurd lengths. If this is how they're going to do it they'd better have Zelda, Mario and Pikmin 4/other niche game like that ready right at launch to carry it from the start.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Where are you getting this "nothing for two years" nonsense? Take a look at this list of new Nintendo-published Wii U games in North America, March 2015 to March 2017:

====2015====
March
20) Mario Party 10

May
29) Splatoon

September
11) Super Mario Maker

October
16) Yoshi's Wooly World
22) Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (eShop)

November
20) Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

December
11) Devil's Third

====2016====
March
18) Pokkén Tournament

April
22) StarFox Zero
22) StarFox Guard

June
24) Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games
24) Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

November?

====2017====
March

I mean that looks to me like 19 new games in the roughly 24 months leading up to the NX launch.

Now check how many Nintendo developed games are among those.

As much as I don't like the decision, I get it. The last thing Nintendo needs is to rush the platform to market with next to no games to go with it.

Whilst I agree in terms of first party titles, the drawbacks to a March release come in the form of the big hitting third party titles, which will be later than on other consoles and cost more, so have an increased chance of poor sales.

Like it or not, synching up with when EA or Activision drop their big hitters is the easiest way to open the door to their continued third party support. A FIFA and a CoD that fail to sell (because they're anywhere from four to six months late and cost more than their reduced prices on rival systems) will only create the kind of self fulfilling prophecy that those titles will never sell on a Nintendo console, and when that supply line starts to close, it never reopens.

I'd prefer an early release with a reliance on big hitting multi-plats, and have to twiddle my thumbs waiting for the abundance of Nintendo titles; those are an inevitability, whilst the opposite is not, and it's the lack of third party support that continues to hurt Nintendo consoles.

Either way it must have been a tough call for Nintendo, there really isn't an easy answer. Release too soon, and risk a lack of momentum and the same droughts; release later and miss the biggest sales period of the year and show up with dated third party ports that may not sell.

Nintendo has been making videogame consoles for over 30 years, yet it always seems to take them by surprise when they release a new console. Mind-boggling.

yoonshik

This reads like there won't be a lot of support from third party games and they need at least one first party game per month to drive sales during its first year.

I mean, just i magine If Wii U would had launched with Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario Maker, or Smash Bros. That would have made a difference.

Every generation, Satoru Iwata tells investors, gamers, and retailers that they will avoid major software droughts because these can kill a platform’s momentum after launch. Satoru Iwata never learns from anything. He always says he has learned from past mistakes, but his actions never show it. Instead, every single generation, all we get from him is a whole bunch of “Please understand” and “I apologize for the inconvenience”.

Here’s some examples.

Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube. (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata. He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum."

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...0607qa/02.html

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwat...ware-with-3ds/

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com...on-iwata-vows/

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

When asked why Nintendo wasn’t launching the NX in time for this year’s big holiday season, Kimishima explained that Nintendo wanted to make sure there were games to go along with the NX.

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-console-will-be-out-march-2017-1773312629

You beat me to it! The original post on GAF is one of my favorites.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100006922&postcount=39

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This thing had better be great when it releases. Nintendo can't afford another blunder. Right now, it's hard to be confident with what they have been doing.

I don't believe a word of this. I think they were planning a controller similar to the fake leaks and after they saw people's reaction they changed plans causing the delay.

Changing the entire concept of the console/controller only caused a delay of 3-4 months?

As someone with multiple systems, I wish every console had a library as good as the Wii U with several high quality exclusives each year. I can always grab multiplatform games on Steam.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Now check how many Nintendo developed games are among those.

I don't think that's relevant to the person I was replying to, who claimed that Wii U owners will have gotten nothing for two years prior to NX's launch, which I think I proved false. (And thinking about it, the way he said that, I could have thrown in the handful of third-party games released during that time, too, but whatever.)

But for you, KingSnake, for the sake of it, I shall fulfill your request =P

====2015====
March
20) Mario Party 10

May
29) Splatoon

September
11) Super Mario Maker

October
22) Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (eShop; co-developed with Koei Tecmo)

November

December

====2016====
March

April
22) StarFox Zero (co-developed with Platinum Games)
22) StarFox Guard (co-developed with Platinum Games)

November?

====2017====
March

13 games in 24 months; three of which were co-developed with outside companies

Top Bottom