• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Push for Gender Equality in Tech? Some Men Say It’s Gone Too Far

Of fucking course they do...

giphy.gif

The campaign against the physically enabled has been over for a long time. "Jocks" ie, people with social skills and a liking for physical activity were never holding anyone down as a movement. The push back by the socially inept was always an excuse, and a poor one at that.

This is fucking ridiculous.

So now, we're living in a world where nerds never got bullied.

Wake the fuck up, I had weird habits growing up and quite a few of the so-called jocks growing up gave me tons of shit. It got so bad I couldn't even take the school bus due to the bullying.

This isn't any campaign against the "physically enabled." Shit like this where you elevate a group by calling them "physically enabled" while calling the people who got picked on (like myself) as socially inept, thereby victim blaming us, is fucking ridiculous.

Fuck you and the high horse you rode in on. Attitudes like yours give cause to individuals to just retrench themselves in their tracks.

le.phat

Wake the fuck up, I had weird habits growing up and quite a few of the so-called jocks growing up gave me tons of shit. It got so bad I couldn't even take the school bus due to the bullying.

This isn't any campaign against the "physically enabled." Shit like this where you elevate a group by calling them "physically enabled" while calling the people who got picked on (like myself) as socially inept, thereby victim blaming us, is fucking ridiculous.

Fuck you and the high horse you rode in on. Attitudes like yours give cause to individuals to just retrench themselves in their tracks

You can't blame lacking critical thinking skills on others. People who entrench themselves in self-destructive rhetoric always pull the short straw.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Anecdotal evidence, obvs, but I've been weirded out to find out in the past few years that the ones who are more supportive of woman's right and LGBTQ issues (SSM) IME have been the kind of men I'd considered 'jocks', not obnoxious ones but the ones who are physically fit, socially outgoing types.
Why? Those people actually interact with women. Do you think the stereotype nerd that has had no female relationships regularly do so? (as in properly talk)

It all comess down to empathy, people find it difficult to empathize with people they rarely interact with.

KonradLaw

I'm not familiar with situation in USA, but in Poland I was annoyed when one of tech universities decided to disciminate against men (if both women and men got the same number of points on exams/from grades, the woman would be chosen) and I hope that somebody sues then because it's clearly against consitution to discriminate based on gender. Especially since similiar case was done against medical university decade ago when it tried to do same, only to promote men, since here women completely dominate in medicine field and rightfully the court sided with women then.

Of course, I guess the situation is different in Poland, since gender pay gap is like 7% here and almost all of it stems from maternal leaves and women being elegible to retire 5 years earlier than men (something than EU is giving us a lot of grief about). If it would be 20% like in USA then systemic measures to close it might have been needed.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
“It’s a witch hunt,” he (James Altizer, an engineer at the chip maker Nvidia) said in a phone interview, contending men are being fired by “dangerous” human resources departments. “I’m sitting in a soundproof booth right now because I’m afraid someone will hear me.
Wait
“I’m sitting in a soundproof booth right now because I’m afraid someone will hear me.
Enhance
he (James Altizer, an engineer at the chip maker Nvidia) said
James Altizer
🤔

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I had to check that the OP didn't paraphrase the headline.
"Some * say" is amateur hour at best.

Not

Banned
I'm not familiar with situation in USA, but in Poland I was annoyed when one of tech universities decided to disciminate against men (if both women and men got the same number of points on exams/from grades, the woman would be chosen) and I hope that somebody sues then because it's clearly against consitution to discriminate based on gender. Especially since similiar case was done against medical university decade ago when it tried to do same, only to promote men, since here women completely dominate in medicine field and rightfully the court sided with women then.

Wow, that's a really cool policy. That's awesome how women completely dominate the medical field in Poland. Here in the US women still have to work harder to be equally respected as medical professionals by their peers and patients.

KonradLaw

Wow, that's a really cool policy. That's awesome how women completely dominate the medical field in Poland. Here in the US women still have to work harder to be equally respected as medical professionals by their peers and patients.
They also dominate in a all legal professions aside from court sanctioned debt collectors. So we have situation where different high paying sectors of workforce are dominated by different genders, so there natural resistance against artificially pushing for more women in one of them. If all high paying jobs would be dominated by men the situation would likely be very diffent.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Fuck you and the high horse you rode in on. Attitudes like yours give cause to individuals to just retrench themselves in their tracks.

I know this guy's banned, but I always thought it was weird how some of the most misogynistic, racist and bigoted kinds of people are nerds. You'd think that people who got picked on a lot growing up would realize how shitty it felt and not want to treat others the way they were treated.

Wait

Enhance

🤔

i'm gonna forward this to the HR department at Nvidia

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know this guy's banned, but I always thought it was weird how some of the most misogynistic, racist and bigoted kinds of people are nerds. You'd think that people who got picked on a lot growing up would realize how shitty it felt and not want to treat others the way they were treated.

When all you're treated with is disrespect that's what you internalize and it's how you learn to interact with those you feel have wronged you. It can be a vicious circle, but I will say it doesn't apply to everyone. There's plenty of horrible people that are just horrible people, hell it may even be the majority.

“When you’re on a mission from God to set the world straight, it’s easy to go too far,” Mr. Parsons said. “There was no control over women hiring women.”

He said that his clients, Greg Anderson and Scott Ard, had faced gender discrimination in Yahoo’s media teams and that other teams like cars were headed by women, which to Mr. Parsons was a sign of problems.

“No eyebrows are going to rise if a woman heads up fashion,” Mr. Parsons said. “But we’re talking about women staffing positions — things like autos — where it cannot be explained other than manipulation.”

These guys are so pathetic

Hurrdurrrdur equality, men are the ones who are really discriminated against.

Also, the only jobs women should be able to take in tech are about fashion. I mean a woman on the cars team, what an outrage!

Zero self-awareness

Korigama

To call such people "men" is a joke.
Mgtow aims for total male separatism, including forgoing children, avoiding marriage and limiting involvement with women
And these ones are doing the world a favor by not breeding.

Ishan

Lmao, fuck them.

Fragile feelings in white patriarchy societies.

They want to reduce the number of men from 98% to 90%?! MALE GENOCIDE!!!!!!111 CHANGING THE CULTURE!!!
Ridiculous . I know many women way smarter than me but Silicon Valley and science has to be maintained as a meritocracy ... Women whip men's asses easily on it anyway

Edit only idiots think women are worse but also only idiots things we have to somehow make it equal with gender science is science math is math programming is programming

Edit 2 culturally yes we have to stop the bias against encouraging women to get into the fields but once in the field Im all for a complete meritocracy

When the people who got shit on get the opportunity to shit on others, they will take it. You could call it the revenge of the nerds.

kcp12304

Banned

Bullies are often those that are bullied. Dudes who are angry, lonely, and disaffected who need to take their frustrations out on someone or a group of people. Some internet communities give you a bad guy to hate & take your frustrations out on (feminists, minorities, religious groups). Liberals can do this too in toxic & reactionary ways. There are boys and men who act like feminists are the single greatest threat to America. Freaking out about Muslims taking over the West. Wasting tons of time getting angry about a particular group's badness every time they visit websites, message boards, social media. A conformation bias hit every time they hit refresh on Twitter or Reddit. Multiple times a day, almost every day.

Many were also never bullied. They lived insular lives or with small male dominated groups. With Tech, you have guys who went to computer science classes with mostly dudes or only dudes, taught by men, and went to work in a boys club. Never really interacting with many different people or women. Maybe finding community in male dominated online spaces where resentments are shared and amplified rather than meeting new people.

kcp12304

Banned
Not necessarily. That nvidia guy had his misogynist epiphany after his divorce. So it’s also bitter old guys.

Then they go on the internet to tell boys and young men that women suck, have it all made, and get special treatment. Imparting their resentment and misery to a kid who never had a girlfriend and tell them it's all women's fault that they have these problems. Making them as bitter as they are.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A big issue is there really isn't that many qualified female candidates for upper level roles, because of how many women were in the industry 10-20 years ago. And even today, graduates in majors that tech companies hire are predominantly male. You can't fix the gender gap in the tech industry in a few years, you need to aim at the current generation of school kids, and wait 30 years for the fruits of the labor. But some companies do impose quotas for how many women they should hire in the name of diversity, which doesn't factor in the reality of the candidate pool.

V_Arnold

A big issue is there really isn't that many qualified female candidates for upper level roles, because of how many women were in the industry 10-20 years ago. And even today, graduates in majors that tech companies hire are predominantly male. You can't fix the gender gap in the tech industry in a few years, you need to aim at the current generation of school kids, and wait 30 years for the fruits of the labor. But some companies do impose quotas for how many women they should hire in the name of diversity, which doesn't factor in the reality of the candidate pool.

Thing is, this is a disingenous argument because it assumes that women cant get up to speed with the field (and therefore, fuck quotas, AMIRITE?), but somehow if we take that out of the equation, males out of bootcamps are fine, right? Because man gotta do what a man's gotta do!

So no, you cant just slap "wait 30 years, ok?" on an industry. Female programmers can be just as competent, obviously. It does not take more than a fifth grade biology knowledge to understand this. Therefore, the tech field's quotas are okay. And besides: actual coding is only like...one third of the job. Planning arcihtecture, communicating with the team is just as big part of it - and coincidentally, that is exactly the kind of bridges these kinds of MGOTW type of bullshit burns down effectively.

Moosichu

It's something that needs to be tackled at all levels. Considering people can turn themselves into good software engineers at any age. The problem is, a huge chunk of the potential talent pool is being wasted because of sexism, and as this articles shows, a lot of men are doing their hardest to make life difficult for the women that do try to enter the industry.

Zaru

The effect of sexual frustation is always disturbing interesting in my eyes.

I'd wager that a large part of religious and societal rules throughout history basically had the purpose of making sure there aren't a lot of sexually frustrated, lonely men with enough free time or life expectancy to worry about it, at the expense of women's freedom.

One radical fringe that is growing is Mgtow, which stands for Men Going Their Own Way and pronounced MIG-tow. Mgtow aims for total male separatism, including forgoing children, avoiding marriage and limiting involvement with women. Its message boards are brimming with activity from Silicon Valley, Mr. Altizer said.

I have a friend who has been sharing lots of information about this on Facebook and it's really sad to see.

I remember the last time we went out and he had this really deep seated anger towards women. He would make awful comments about how they were only after money and if you didn't have that you had to be as good looking as George Clooney and have a big penis or they won't give you the time of day. I don't know what triggered it, but it's reached a point where I only interact with him through facebook and even there I try to limit contact as much as possible.

We used to be really good buddies in college and university, but to see him change so much and have so much anger and hatred in his heart, I can't help but feel sorry for him.

ECC

Thing is, this is a disingenous argument because it assumes that women cant get up to speed with the field (and therefore, fuck quotas, AMIRITE?), but somehow if we take that out of the equation, males out of bootcamps are fine, right? Because man gotta do what a man's gotta do!

So no, you cant just slap "wait 30 years, ok?" on an industry. Female programmers can be just as competent, obviously. It does not take more than a fifth grade biology knowledge to understand this. Therefore, the tech field's quotas are okay. And besides: actual coding is only like...one third of the job. Planning arcihtecture, communicating with the team is just as big part of it - and coincidentally, that is exactly the kind of bridges these kinds of MGOTW type of bullshit burns down effectively.

Hmm.. Where I work being very competent gets you through the door. Nothing else. If you want to be elevated through the corporate layers you need "tenure". After a few years, you are less defined by your skills and more by the projects you have worked on and their success rates. For you to get on the management ladder you need 8-12 years worth of experience. This approach is prevalent and promoted in many technical organizations. Our senior management took roughly 25-30 years in the company to get to that position. The challenge for improving gender ratio in these industries has little to do with ability (it is there) - and a whole lot to do with experience (not something that you can fast track through a boot camp).

ECC

I don't think it is that strange, at least if you use nerds as a shorthand for the people who got bullied early on in life. What they learned during the early part of life where personality and traits are formed was as follows (generalization): Based on the reactions of the rest of society it is okay to exhibit behaviors otherwise considered socially unacceptable, as long as it targets a minority group that is easily identifiable. Furthermore, not only is it okay - society at large will not punish you for doing this, rather society is likely to overlook this and give you a scholarship, praise for your physical ability etc. Okay, you may get a minor infraction against you for bullying if you do it too much - but this punishment is completely out of scale and nowhere near proportional to the damage you did.

You may say that people grow up, and then they should be aware / adult enough to know that you shouldn't do this. Maybe. But on the other hand, if you teach people that on average there is little punishment for bullying others and that you will eventually get rewarded, probably for skillsets related to those you used to bully people with, then don't be surprised that is the lesson they learn.

Tracygill

Why bring up the american false dichotomy between nerds and jocks. The overlap between nerds, jocks and the idiots in the op are huge. The common identifier is that they are idiots with a warped and inaccurate world view. Pinning the blame for patriarchy and toxic masculinity on a group like nerds or jocks is making it too simple. The group you're looking for are men.

The assholes are everywhere.

Not

Banned
Why bring up the american false dichotomy between nerds and jocks. The overlap between nerds, jocks and the idiots in the op are huge. The common identifier is that they are idiots with a warped and inaccurate world view. Pinning the blame for patriarchy and toxic masculinity on a group like nerds or jocks is making it too simple. The group you're looking for are men.

The assholes are everywhere.

👏👏👏👏👏👏

there isn't really any common process of "getting up to speed". almost no companies here actually train programmers. they expect them to come pre-trained

if the pool of applicants is almost entirely male, that's how the workforce ends up

fixing that (i.e. making sure high school girls want to become programmers) is a 30+ year process

We used to be really good buddies in college and university, but to see him change so much and have so much anger and hatred in his heart, I can't help but feel sorry for him.

I got a similar story too.

I remember I got an angry email from him one day because some girl he had a huge crush on was now dating someone else.

Now if referring to her as a "hot Asian virgin" wasn't enough of a hint he wrote several paragraphs on why her new boyfriend was a jerk and was just using her for sex(he barely knew the guy).

Now because he had a crush on her for such a long time and even bought her an iPod for her birthday this was unacceptable. And since my gf at the time was also Asian and left her ex-bf he wanted me to help a brother out and let him in on "the secret"(apparently there is one).

Suffice to say I don't talk to him anymore.

oneils

What is parental leave and childcare like in Silicon Valley? If they are serious about recruiting women, that is an easy place to start.

I’m sitting in a soundproof booth right now because I’m afraid someone will hear me.

imo this is the most ridiculous part of the article. He's quoted by name. He didn't request to be anonymous. What the fuck.

Sunster

these stories always make me think of the last season of Silicon Valley where the main guy says something like, "THIS IS OUR WORLD!!! IT WILL NEVER BE FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!" To some guy her perceived as a "jock" cringey af. but yea I guess they are really like that.

Replicant

Why? Those people actually interact with women. Do you think the stereotype nerd that has had no female relationships regularly do so? (as in properly talk)

It all comess down to empathy, people find it difficult to empathize with people they rarely interact with.

Because like what others have said, you'd think someone who's been marginalised like nerds would understand more what it's like to be discriminated. But it looks like that's not the case. :/

G-Unit

What's this get up to speed? Software developer for close 10 years and I'm always playing catch ip, or so it feels like.

morch

Where did these immature idiots cone from? I really don't understand the tech industry and I'm a self employed ict consultant and really nerdy :-/ maybe growing up the uk is a bit different to over in the us...

They really come across like little children and its difficult to take them seriously, but they have some influence and its disturbing

quickwhips

I've been trying to get more women on my team but its an up hill battle. One position i had 57 applicants. If i get a girl name I look at them closely and give them an interview if requirements are met but out of 57 i only had 2. Out of the 2 only 1 had experience and the other had none for a senior job. I'm not going to pretend to know the answer to fixing this as my team is pretty diverse but its all men and 2 women out of 37. :( I'm doing the best I can to fix this but I inherited this.

We actually have a program to speak at middle schools to try to get more girls involved with IT jobs growing up.

Top Bottom