• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

O.J. Simpson released from prison

Dalek

The Juice is now officially loose.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...paign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202701

22195236_1655793037806029_5468243055985015175_n_wide-e2189782d0711f921c99faeebdb9c3f3c4f3b88d-s700-c85.jpg

O.J. Simpson has been released from prison after serving nine years for armed robbery and other charges.

Simpson was released at 12:08 a.m. local time Sunday from the Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada.

The overnight release was "in an effort to ensure public safety and reduce the potential for incident," the Nevada Department of Corrections said on its Facebook page.

A driver met Simpson as he left the prison, according to The Associated Press. But prison officials told the wire service they had no indication who it was who picked him up or where Simpson was headed.

A parole panel granted him parole by unanimous vote in July. Sunday, Oct. 1, is the first day Simpson was eligible for release

Now 70 years old, Simpson rose to prominence as a Heisman Trophy winner in college and later NFL player, making the Hall of Fame. He became an actor, known for his goofy character in the Naked Gun movies, and appearances in commercials.

Simpson was acquitted of murdering his ex-wife and her friend in 1995 in one of the most high-profile criminal trials in history.

He will be under parole supervision for up to five years, and plans to live in Florida, where two of his children live, the AP reports.

sarcastor

On December 5, 2008, Simpson was sentenced to a total of thirty-three years in prison, with the possibility of parole after nine years, in 2017.

9 years for kidnapping and armed robbery?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
On December 5, 2008, Simpson was sentenced to a total of thirty-three years in prison, with the possibility of parole after nine years, in 2017.

The charges are honestly pretty trumped up considering what actually happened. It was payback for him being acquitted.

In the civil case against him by the Goldman family they were awarded $33 million which OJ had no intention of paying. The 33 years handed to him for armed robbery and kidnapping were not a coincidence.

Zaru

This.

He's too old to really do anything now.

Plenty of 70+ year olds are doing their best to run criminal organizations and/or ruin countries, but I guess you have to be higher up the food chain for that.

I didn't know you could just not pay after a civil suit.
I was under the impression he wasn't really making any money so there's nothing for them to take.

Additional from what I understand he does have like his NFL pension/retirement but some kind of law prevents them from taking that so they get nothing.

BibiMaghoo

If I remember the victim spoke at his parole hearing in his defense with the wish he be released. That changes things considerably.

sangreal

If I remember the victim spoke at his parole hearing in his defense with the wish he be released. That changes things considerably.

In the (excellent) made in America documentary, the victim comes off as a huge OJ stan

The kidnapping part was a bit of a stretch, but it was definitely an armed robbery.

It was, but nobody gets 33 years for armed robbery either. All of his accomplices got probation except one whose conviction was overturned... due to being tainted by OJs notoriety. He was then released on an Alford plea

One of the most tragic persons in history tbh.

Not really. There have been far more tragic CTE victims. OJ lived a fat, full life up until the murders. NFL Hall of Fame followed by Hollywood. Look at how somebody like Mike Webster, Dave Duerson and Aaron Hernandez ended-up and tell me whether OJ was somehow more tragic?

JettDash

armed robbery?

He didn't killed his wife?

now i cant remember .....

He committed an armed robbery in 2007. Got a sentence of 33 years with parole possible after 9 (which he got).

He was acquitted of the murders of his wife and Ron Goldman (though he almost certainly did it).

Not really. There have been far more tragic CTE victims. OJ lived a fat, full life up until the murders. NFL Hall of Fame followed by Hollywood. Look at how somebody like Mike Webster, Dave Duerson and Aaron Hernandez ended-up and tell me whether OJ was somehow more tragic?

I guess i mean the later parts of his life. From the 90's and on.

The odds that OJ Simpson has CTE has to be astronomically high because of the way he played football.

I hope he allows his brain to be examined upon death. It might explain a lot.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The odds that OJ Simpson has CTE has to be astronomically high because of the way he played football.

I hope he allows his brain to be examined upon death. It might explain a lot.

I was just about to make this same post.

tomtom94

He committed an armed robbery in 2007. Got a sentence of 33 years with parole possible after 9 (which he got).

He was acquitted of the murders of his wife and Ron Goldman (though he almost certainly did it).

Should add that he was later found guilty of a lesser charge - I think accidental death? - and now owes the Goldmans something like $33m. The Goldmans were awarded rights to his book, among other things.

In case you were wondering he's spent most of his life claiming bankruptcy to avoid paying that settlement.

This is actually an entirely separate case.

jchap

My brother got 50 years for armed robbery (as a minor). Texas judicial system: Even revenge sentencing OJ doesn't stack up.

JettDash

Should add that he was later found guilty of a lesser charge - I think accidental death? - and now owes the Goldmans something like $33m. The Goldmans were awarded rights to his book, among other things.

In case you were wondering he's spent most of his life claiming bankruptcy to avoid paying that settlement.

This is actually an entirely separate case.

That was a civil wrongful death case.

He can't be charged with any kind of lesser offense for the murders ever.

My brother got 50 years for armed robbery (as a minor). Texas judicial system: Even revenge sentencing OJ doesn't stack up.

The DA the prosecuted OJ for the murders thinks his sentence was too harsh and motivated by revenge.

http://www.thewrap.com/gil-garcetti-oj-simpsons-robbery-sentence-too-harsh/

Sanojio

I was under the impression he wasn't really making any money so there's nothing for them to take.

Additional from what I understand he does have like his NFL pension/retirement but some kind of law prevents them from taking that so they get nothing.

yeah federal law says ALL retirement income is safe from civil judgments.

CNN and Forbes stated he has at least 5 million in contributions to a retirement plan run by the Screen Actor's Guild as well. Not only his NFL pension. You know he will be signing memorabilia and might even write a book again, but that book money might be for the civil judgment as well.

Top Bottom