• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

O.J. Simpson's parole hearing will air on ESPN (Update: OJ granted parole)

Royce McCutcheon

O.J. Simpson’s parole hearing in Nevada this Thursday will be carried live onESPN as an expanded, 90-minute Outside the Lines Special, and pool cameras in the hearing room make it all but certain the proceedings will pop up at least in part on other news channels.

In fact, the Nevada Board of Parole says about 30 news organizations have registered to cover the hearing at both the hearing location in Carson City and at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Lovelock, Nevada, where Simpson is incarcerated on the 2008 armed robbery and kidnapping convictions.

Simpson will appear via videoconference from the prison, with four parole commissioners in Carson City.

The hearing begins at 10 am PT (1 pm ET), and ESPN has set aside a 90-minute slot under its Outside the Lines banner. The network’s Jeremy Schaap will anchor.

The public’s fascination with Simpson hasn’t ebbed since his era-defining arrest (and acquittal) for the 1994 murders of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman. ESPN Films, of course, scored big time with its O.J.: Made in Americadocumentary, the 2016 five-part series directed by Ezra Edelman that won a Best Feature Documentary Oscar for its theatrical run. FX’s hit 2016 drama The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story won nine Emmy Awards.

Simpson, 70, was sentenced in 2008 to nine-to-33 years in prison for his role in an armed Las Vegas confrontation with two sports memorabilia dealers. If paroled – which legal pundits say is possible, even likely – he could be released October 1.

Simpson’s cohort in the crime, Clarence “C.J.” Stewart, served 27 months in prison before the Nevada Supreme Court ruled that he should have been tried separately from Simpson.

The Nevada parole board has indicated that a decision on Simpson’s release will be made the day of the hearing, and that Simpson will be permitted to speak.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/espn-o-j-simpson-parole-hearing-nevada-media-blitz-1202129775/

ESPN continues to impress me... I will watch however. Acquit me if old.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
5noHKsb.jpg

I seriously hope he does not get out. I don't want him all over the news about how prison changed him and giving stupid pundits fodder to "debate"

First Street Fighter and now this!?

For real though, crazy that it has almost been 10 years since that incident. It was crazy how big it was.

norm9

Yes, let us not further punish a man for a crime he was never convicted of

If a jail sentence doesn't mean anything, then why jail him in the first place?

If you're still mad about his criminal acquittal, get in line with everyone else that's mad when they don't get the judgment they want.

Ridley327

I wonder if he's aware of how much his public perception has changed since incarceration, especially with the 1-2 punch last year of The People vs. OJ Simpson and OJ: Made in America.

mreddie

I wonder if he's aware of how much his public perception has changed since incarceration, especially with the 1-2 punch last year of The People vs. OJ Simpson and OJ: Made in America.

Yeah, I think some reports say he knows about both shows.

JABEE

People knew he was a killer before he was locked up for armed robbery.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand how broadcasting this doesn't breach some law. Aren't courtroom proceedings meant to be at least somewhat private?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Eh I'll check it out after the fact. Its a parole hearing, its not going to be exciting even with OJ involved.

Ridley327

People knew he was a killer before he was locked up for armed robbery.

Oh, I know that much, but considering how much it's come to light about his rather suspect relationship with his race, I feel like he's going to feel even more heat from that on top of everything else.

norm9

How do you think public perception has changed?

I think the recent documentaries did a good job on explaining why some people were happy that he was acquitted; that it wasn't just because he was black which is the go-to for critics; ideas of privilege and class, cult of celebrity, the shadow of Rodney King and the LAPD, someone who finally made it, etc. Even as a teen, I knew there was a bigger context than just that he was black and that's why people were rooting for him and the docs do that imo.

Top Bottom