• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post: A friend thinks O.J. Simpson may confess to murders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

A friend thinks O.J. Simpson may confess to murders

imrs.php

After more than 20 years, countless stories, a popular TV miniseries, countless bizarro theories and, now, a lengthy documentary, the truth about who murdered Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman remains elusive.

Although O.J. Simpson, the former NFL player, was found not guilty by a jury in the trial of the century, a civil jury ordered him to pay $33.5 million in punitive and compensatory damages in finding him liable for the 1994 double murders. Now, a former Los Angeles police officer and part-time actor who has been a friend of The Juice for years thinks he might be ready to confess to killing his ex-wife and Goldman.

“The guy is in total torment today,” Ron Shipp told The New York Daily News at the Los Angeles premiere of ESPN’s “O.J. Simpson: Made in America” documentary, which begins June 11. “Someone told me he is 300 pounds and he looks horrible. O.J. has always felt his appearance meant everything and now, deep down inside, he is starting to live with himself.”

Simpson, who is serving a nine-to-33-year sentence in Nevada on an armed-robbery conviction, is eligible for parole when he turns 70 in 2017 and Shipp says Simpson wouldn’t settle the matter of the double murders until he was released.

Shipp testified during the 1995 trial that Simpson had told him he had had dreams of killing Brown Simpson, his ex-wife.

“I hope one day he actually will rid us of all the doubt and all the conspiracy theories and say, ‘Sorry I cannot go to prison [because of double jeopardy laws], but I am sorry I did it.’ ”

Shipp actually believes that day will come.

“I do,” he said. “I got a call about a conspiracy theory about Jason [Simpson’s son from his first marriage] being the killer and I thought, man, come on Juice, just say, ‘my son didn’t do it.'”

Look out!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
So it wasn't the racist LAPD that framed him? Weird that his story has been revisited so often the last two years by the television media.

Amory

the truth about who murdered Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman remains elusive

yeah...not really. i mean the guy already wrote a book and stylized the front cover to say "If I Did It"

Patryn

So it wasn't the racist LAPD that framed him? Weird that his story has been revisited so often the last two years by the television media.

If you're referring to American Crime Story, which just aired on FX (and was excellent, btw), it implies very, very heavily that OJ did it and only got off due to external factors and Johnie Cochran's brilliant strategy to tie into others issues.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If you're referring to American Crime Story, which just aired on FX (and was excellent, btw), it implies very, very heavily that OJ did it and only got off due to external factors and Johnie Cochran's brilliant strategy to tie into others issues.

I was being sarcastic. I was there during the original happenings and like most Americans, totally understood the play that Cochran was running. Great series by the way! I think FX is going to run "American Crime Stories" annually like "American Horror Story". Different theme/story of course.

stufte

yeah...not really. i mean the guy already wrote a book and stylized the front cover to say "If I Did It"

AFAIK, the Goldman family owns the right to publish it and changed the book art to minimalize the "if" part. Which IMO is fantastic.

Didn't he already release a "tell all" book that kinda/sorta admitted what everyone has known for decades?

Yes and No.

He tried to release a book for money years ago and tried to set up some BS offshore companies to hold the money away from the Goldman's.

The book wasn't really a confession but to my understanding him talking about how he WOULD have done it, to enforce the idea that he didn't do it because it's not how he would have killed them?

It was fucking weird but the Goldman's got a judge who cut it all down and gave them the rights to publish it. It was then release as 'if I DID IT: confession of a killer' The 'if' was super super tiny so it just made the cover say I DID IT and I don't think any real money was made.

Actually, that wasn't him - the estate of Nicole Brown Simpson did that to him. They won a civil case against OJ & have ownership rights to a whole bunch of OJ's assets & potential earnings.

If OJ did it, he will never admit. It would completely destroy his reputation. Right now, there are people who doubt that he did it.

What reputation?

Court aside, most people think he is a killer and he's been in jail for years now from that time he tried to use that 'killer' reputation to get a crew together and intimidate some memorabilia collectors. Since then he tried to stay in the new with stories about his cellmate wanting to kill him, teased being suicidal to see if anyone cared, tried multiple times to get his conviction thrown out on the basis that 'I'm OJ!'

If he actually admitted it, it would be coming from his need to be talked about and possibly somehow make money to clear he debt or get more money to pay for more court hearing about a conviction he will never get out of.

Assuming he actually has CTE he might not even remember doing it.

Man, Tim Meadows needs to come back to SNL and do one more OJ skit. His "I did it" football play analysis is one of the show's best sketches imo.

Maxim726X

Think about it... He would auction off the venue of this announcement. Could you imagine how quickly the MSM would fall all over itself to secure this public confession?

He'd be set for life.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Think about it... He would auction off the venue of this announcement. Could you imagine how quickly the MSM would fall all over itself to secure this public confession?

He'd be set for life.

He owes millions for the civil case.

I agree that most of the public think he did it but I have to think that his relatives and the original jury members probably believe that he's innocent.

Well I'll give you that if what his close family thinks is at stake, that's a good reason not to do it. The original jurors I doubt he cares about and if I remember, a few of them were on TV less than a week later talking about how all that as soon as they left the closed setting of the jury, they though he was guilty.

Wait, he "might" confess but only after they let him out on parole? No thanks. We know you did it anyway, you can stay in jail.

He will most likely be released on parole next year if you were wondering.

IIRC he is huge now and has trouble walking.

EDIT - lol nvm. It says that right in the article.

Didn't he already release a "tell all" book that kinda/sorta admitted what everyone has known for decades?
He didn't actually write that book - he was just paid to put his name on it, figuring everyone believed he was already guilty anyway.

I agree that most of the public think he did it but I have to think that his relatives and the original jury members probably believe that he's innocent.
I read an interview with a one of the jurors during the airing of American Crime Story. She seemed to feel that there were several who didn't necessarily believe he was innocent, just that the prosecution hadn't made their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

I really hope OJ comes clean just for some closure with this. I mean, not that there's ever been a doubt that he killed them for anybody looking at this rationally, but even as someone obviously convinced OJ did it... I just kinda want him to come out with it.

While OJ did write a book titled "If I did it..." the stylized cover with "IF" in tiny letters was done because the Goldman's won the rights to publish the book as part of the civil trial, because OJ Was barred from making money off of the celebrity of the murders. And when they released it, that's how they styled it.

That said... If you get away with murder, don't write a book called "If I Did It"

But even after the murders, he broke into a guys hotel room with goons and robbed someone at gun point... Dunno if he has much reputation.

winjet81

This would shake my parents to the core.

Their support of the idea of OJ's innocence gives them comfort in the belief that they are not racists.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
He should confess. People already call him murderer out on the streets. It isn't like he would become more of pariah. Dude would be 70+ years old coming out of jail with very few prospects to pull down enough money to live comfortably.

Setup a big 1 time interview with someone. Confess, lay everything out on the table, take the money and hide out in comfort for the rest of his life. That would be the smart play in his situation.

OJ laid the ultimate asshole blueprint out for Zimmerman apparently.

After his book he may as well have done it.

Setup a big 1 time interview with someone. Confess, lay everything out on the table, take the money and hide out in comfort for the rest of his life. That would be the smart play in his situation.

Doesn't he have the money now? If so, this would be a really bad decision.

TheMan

Confessing would be dumb on his part. Even if he can't be tried for murder again, I'm sure a creative prosecutor could come up with a different charge to nail his ass with. He be better off saving the confession for his deathbed.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Doesn't he have the money now? If so, this would be a really bad decision.

I'm skeptical about him having a significant amount. Even though he pulled down bank in the day, he hasn't been able to market himself since the early 90s. Plus he lost the civil case with the Goldmans. Seems like a lot of cash would be going out, but none would be coming in unless he was extremely wise with his investments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom