• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Observer |OT| Blade Walker

kaiju

2jqX2jr.jpg

Observer
Platforms: Playstation 4, Xbox One, PC
Developer(s): Bloober Team
Publisher(s): Aspyr
Price: $29.99
Release Date: August 15th 2017

Trailer

Reviews:
Game Informer 90/100
Gamespot 9/10
Game Revolution 9/10

Make sure to check out all other Observer reviews in Lime's Observer review thread

9KOIcuj.jpg

Ca1SQ8b.jpg

cG6C2YF.jpg

HL0L8FA.jpg

PxxICjL.jpg

dnyZXT4.jpg

YHTIVbP.jpg

C66IZfT.jpg

2wdq7DJ.jpg

6BTRSPO.jpg

Screenshots

tmy8m9D.jpg

Cq2ODy8.jpg

j3tlrui.jpg

yr4XRot.jpg

First OT ever. Any suggestions how to make this OT better please let me know (could use some help figuring out how to center images). Will update as more information comes available. Thank you to Bloober Team and the Observer Wiki for all relevant game information. Can't wait to play the game!

Simo

I had never heard of this until today with the review thread. Cyberpunk detective adventure mixed with horror? Fucking sold!

I'm just sitting here waiting for the PlayStation store to update and put it up. Good OT too!

GavinUK86

Great job on the OT buddy.

I'm shocked at the high scores this is getting. I mean, I was excited for it, but I wasn't expecting 9's to be perfectly honest.

Now I'm really excited to get my hands on it.

TitusTroy

I had never heard of this until today...sounds interesting...I also never heard of Senua's Sacrifice until it came out...both seem like solid, interesting games getting excellent reviews developed by smaller indie studios...both priced at $29.99 as well...hmm which one should I buy of the 2

kaiju

I had never heard of this until today...sounds interesting...I also never heard of Senua's Sacrifice until it came out...both seem like solid, interesting games getting excellent reviews developed by smaller indie studios...both priced at $29.99 as well...hmm which one should I buy of the 2

Is this the confirmed price? I had guessed as much, and will update the OT once that info is concrete.

Great job on the OT buddy.

I'm shocked at the high scores this is getting. I mean, I was excited for it, but I wasn't expecting 9's to be perfectly honest.

Now I'm really excited to get my hands on it.

Thank you! Yes can't wait to play this through as I have tomorrow off.

ISee

Is this a survival horror game like RE7 or more like Outlast (fighting back or no fighting back)?

I'm really interested in this for the story and aesthetic, but the comments about the horror having a big reliance on jump scares gives me pause. I hate horror like that

Simo

I just want to say I'm loving this surge of more Cyberpunk titles hitting the market. This and then possibly Ruiner next week and I'm a happy fella indeed.

aravuus

I'm really interested in this for the story and aesthetic, but the comments about the horror having a big reliance on jump scares gives me pause. I hate horror like that

Oh, yeah? Can't say I'm a fan of jump scares either. Cheap bullshit.

I'm definitely interested, but I'll wait for some impressions.

ISee

I've skipped through a let's play (just a couple of minutes, because I didn't want to get to many spoilers). This game is all about spooky visuals, walking slowly, hiding, mini games, puzzle solving, but no Combat. Which is probably fine for most people, but I'm getting a bit tiered of horror games where I'm 100% helpless. I thought this might've been a RE7 like game set in a cyberpunk world (which sounds awesome to me).

Oh, yeah? Can't say I'm a fan of jump scares either. Cheap bullshit.

I'm definitely interested, but I'll wait for some impressions.
To be fair, jump scares aren't inherently bad. It's all about how they're used. Relying too heavily on them is when they enter the "cheap bullshit" territory

I haven't played this but I think people are overestimating the amount of horror in this as related to hiding games or jump scares. I think it's just when you're inside the minds of some of the people. Have only seen one hiding section. Most of it seems trippy mind stuff and grimy reality more than anything from videos.

Setting sounds fucking super interesting but is the game mostly focused on following narrativr pieces or is there more puzzles and stuff going on? Gonna dive into reviews but figured i'd ask. Im kinda tired of the whole outlast-esque type of horror design.

KORNdoggy

Setting sounds fucking super interesting but is the game mostly focused on following narrativr pieces or is there more puzzles and stuff going on? Gonna dive into reviews but figured i'd ask. Im kinda tired of the whole outlast-esque type of horror design.

sounds like there a lot of investigative elements. finding clues, interviewing witnesses, hacking heads to study memories etc. it honestly sounds a lot like a first person version of blade runner by westwood studios

I haven't played this but I think people are overestimating the amount of horror in this as related to hiding games or jump scares. I think it's just when you're inside the minds of some of the people. Have only seen one hiding section. Most of it seems trippy mind stuff and grimy reality more than anything from videos.
Oh really? So it like less horror, more twisted psychological thriller/mystery? A setting like this, I want to learn about the people, the world, the tech and megacorps and fucked up dystopian cyberpunk-ness. The trailers and reviews seem to be pushing this as a horror game/creepy visuals first kind of experience

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
I've yet to finish the game, but I'm absolutely loving what I've played so far. It's on my Favs of the Year list already and 2017 has been an awesome year for games. I put up a Video Impressions that, while it does show some gameplay, id argue is very spoiler free.

https://youtu.be/VI-67y3qY_s

Gameplay is a mix of environment puzzles, Arkham style detective mode discovery, and some hide/avoid elements. But those hide elements have been a very small part of the game so far and I'm about 2/3 thru.

The style and world building in the this game is excellent. I do happen to love a good 80s style cyberpunk world tho, so that certainly helps.

Anoxida

Sorry if its been asked already. Im a pussy when it comes horror games but love scifi cyberpunk. I can do jump scares and shit like that but I cant deal with getting chased by shit. Are there enemies/deaths in this game?

DukeBobby

Nice OT. Really looking forward to playing this.

It's a shame it's not out until tomorrow on the UK PSN store, though. Still, at least it gives me time to play through Sonic.

Stiler

I thought Layers of Fear was garbage, so I honestly don't have high hopes for this, even if it looks far more interesting. The story will have to be fantastic for me to be interested.

Have you read some of the reviews?
A few I read said things like:

"The main story is exceptional. "
"uncomfortably bizarre storylines combine to make some of the greatest experiences I’ve ever had in gaming. "

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
came in expecting a Dusk Golem thread

leave disapointed

Oh really? So it like less horror, more twisted psychological thriller/mystery? A setting like this, I want to learn about the people, the world, the tech and megacorps and fucked up dystopian cyberpunk-ness. The trailers and reviews seem to be pushing this as a horror game/creepy visuals first kind of experience
Yeah, this seems more about the people and conditions and transhumanism considering it's all set in one apartment complex.

kaiju

The game just hit the PSN store a bit ago. 8.32GB in size, probably another hour until I'll be able to check it out.

Can't believe I only found out about this yesterday - cyberpunk detective game inspired by blade runner with rutger hauer, it's... it's just made for me.

I suppose if I had my druthers, I'd probably leave the horror elements at the door, but I do love me some horror as well, and SOMA was my GOTY that year.

Nice OP!

xrnzaaas

It's an awesome game. The atmosphere is superb, the graphics (at least on PC) are very good, Rutger's voice fits the character perfectly and I like how they put all their crazy ideas into the scenes involving hacking other peoples minds. You can have more than one mindfuck during a single playthrough. :) My only complaint would be the length of the main story. Observer pretty much takes place in one large location. Thankfully there's quite a lot of optional stuff, much more actually than in most adventures/walking simulators.

"Browsing" through people's nightmares can be disturbing, but it's not a horror game. Sure it has a couple of jump scares (and some of them are only there to scare you, they don't mean anything in the story) but it's not as annoying as in Layers of Fear.

As for people asking if you can die and all that stuff
a certain "enemy" appears a few times during the course of the entire game and you will die if you're caught, thankfully being stealthy in the game is super easy and monster encounters aren't as troublesome as in SOMA for example

Top Bottom