• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October EGM scores: Bioshock, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk

PleoMax

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Just curious, has Shane ever given a PS3 exclusive game lower then a 9 in a review? He was the only one in the mag to give Motorstorm a 9 as well.

It's shane dude, it's shane.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
:lol Shane hating angle

Cause the other scores are SIX STANDARD DEVIATIONS AWAY from his.

Alcibiades

sorry guys I just have no interest in Silent Hill 5 (never even played any of the games)... I'm sure someone will post about it here soon once mailboxes are done getting checked, but it does say it's a stand-alone plot with new characters (some guy named alex in lead) and that it looks to maintain some gameplay from the past while evolving ("basic tenents intact" + new shooting mechanics)...

ex0du5

Banned
Alcibiades said:
how the heck did some college town in the middle of nowhere get the issues first?

I thought I'd missed some giant thread or something and had missed all the talk...

some more scores:

Corruption & Halo 3 no reviews, just mentioned in wrap-up saying they are worth getting
-"samus looks primed to go out with a bang"
-halo 3 "one of the most ambitous titles you'll ever see"
Wild Arms 5 - 8, 6.5, 5
Eternal Sonata - 6, 8, 7
Madden 2008- 9, 9, 8.5
NHL 2008 (EA) - 9.5, 9, 9
Medal of Honor Airborne - 6.5, 8, 5.5

The Mysims 6, 5.5, 6 scores are for Wii
And yeah, Shane gave Heavenly Sword the 9

****ing AWESOME!

Alcibiades said:
sorry guys I just have no interest in Silent Hill 5 (never even played any of the games)... I'm sure someone will post about it here soon once mailboxes are done getting checked, but it does say it's a stand-alone plot with new characters (some guy named alex in lead) and that it looks to maintain some gameplay from the past while evolving ("basic tenents intact" + new shooting mechanics)...

My faith in humanity is now long since gone...

EDIT: Well I'm going to assume (blindly) that since Alex is a Vet, his ability to use guns is far above that of any of the other protag's in the last games.

But it does say it's a stand-alone plot with new characters

I'm not sure if he read it like this because he hasn't played any of the games, or because it will be something in the vein of SH2.

FFChris

JB1981 said:
When Lair is bad, EGM scores can be trusted.

When Warhawk and HS are good, EGM scores can't be trusted.

Actually, this thread seems relatively devoid of that sort of nonsense. Though now I've said that... I'm sure it will come.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Things are looking good for Warhawk.

I remain skeptical of HS. I'll wait for a few more scores.

Oh and no suprise at Bioshock > *

FIREBABY

Mojovonio said:
Sidebar

it'll kinda suck that we'll be playing Halo 3 way before the review comes out.

I wonder who got the exclusive?
Game Informer probally. Is it possible for a 4 month platinum game for this mag, because I very well think its headed thta way.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Nice to hear some more info about Silent Hill 5. I'm a big fan of the series, so I'm hoping for the best.

As for the Bioshock score, well, it deserves the praise. :D

nib95

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
I think we'll see HS topped this year by something else.

PS3's GOTY is in the air. Could be COD4, UT3, HS, Warhawk, Haze, GT5: Prologue, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank 5 or even Folklore. Who knows?

Alcibiades said:
how the heck did some college town in the middle of nowhere get the issues first?

I thought I'd missed some giant thread or something and had missed all the talk...

some more scores:

Corruption & Halo 3 no reviews, just mentioned in wrap-up saying they are worth getting
-"samus looks primed to go out with a bang"
-halo 3 "one of the most ambitous titles you'll ever see"
Wild Arms 5 - 8, 6.5, 5
Eternal Sonata - 6, 8, 7

Madden 2008- 9, 9, 8.5
NHL 2008 (EA) - 9.5, 9, 9
Medal of Honor Airborne - 6.5, 8, 5.5

The Mysims 6, 5.5, 6 scores are for Wii
And yeah, Shane gave Heavenly Sword the 9

who were the reviewers for this one?

ex0du5

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
quoted for confusion

Agreed. I don't see what's so ambitious about Halo 3....it's Halo 2, with better graphics and online co-op. Heavenly Sword was probably the most ambitious title to be released this year, though it seems it didn't quite hit the mark. EGM needs to look up the definition of ambition >_<.

heavenly sword 8, 8, 9
warhawk 8.5, 7, 8.5

Nice I thought they would score them lower :p I'm pleasantly surprised. :D
nib95 said:
:
PS3's GOTY is in the air. Could be COD4, UT3, HS, Warhawk, Haze, GT5: Prologue, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank 5 or even Folklore. Who knows?

Damn such a hard choice GT5:p is just fucking amazing for racing/car fans and teh grafix are insane! I really don't know what game out of those will be Ps3's game of the year.... UT3 could really blow us away. I want to see more levels and vehicles first though. I'll probably be picking up all of those games sooner or later except Heavenly Sword and Folklore.

Can someone update the first post with all relevant information pertaining to this months EGM? Instead we got a load of scores scattered through the thread.

luv u byeeee

Xisiqomelir

Sean said:
Actually those Warhawk scores are before the 1 point deduction, 1UP explains it here:
Positioning Warhawk's pricing is important for Sony, but the ripple effect has sparked debate within the 1UP Network. Sony won't tell us the pricing plans are, and as a result, EGM reviewers have been forced to include caveats in their write ups. Lead reviewer (and former OPM editor) Joe Rybicki actually placed a note in his review to EGM Reviews Editor Greg Ford that his score should be dropped a whole point if the price was announced above $30, and the other reviewers have expressed concern over how they should judge the game.

"What I don't understand is why Sony can't give us a price when it seems like internally they have one ready. The game is done, our reviewers have been playing it, and each one has asked about the price, which we certainly take into consideration in our reviews," says Ford. "Because of the lead time for a print publication, we're forced to go to print with a caveat in our review addressing this issue. Not ideal, and it seems unnecessary. It's too bad because otherwise, the company has been great getting us the review code, setting up multiplayer play sessions, and providing assets to go along with the review...just no price, which for some consumers is what matters most."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161677

So, do I add +1 for all 3 reviews or just the 7? And haven't we know the pricing for like...2 months now?

EktorPR

FFChris said:
What was the last game that got a 10, 10, 10 in EGM, anyone know?

Mario Kart: Double Dash?!

EDIT: Forgot about Twilight Princess. Not proving to be a very memorable game after only 10 months of being released.

Madman

BenjaminBirdie said:
Man remember that thread about taking numbers out of reviews? This is why.
Personally, I find using a combination of reviews, demos, and forum impressions is the way to go when making a judgement about a game. Or renting it.

Madman said:
Personally, I find using a combination of reviews, demos, and forum impressions is the way to go when making a judgement about a game. Or renting it.

I agree completely. The reviews themselves are valid. What's happening here is squabbling about numbers and adjusting them arbitrarily.

Zenith

Banned
Alcibiades said:

Review comes a whole month after Metorid is released? Print is so relevant...

Top Bottom