• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October EGM scores: Bioshock, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk

Zenith said:
Review comes a whole month after Metorid is released? Print is so relevant...

So you don't read reviews of a movie after you've seen it, just to see what other people noticed or thought about it? I'll be done with BioShock by the time I read the review, but I still can't wait to read it.

Dante

Warhawks seems a tad lower then I'd expect given the response on 1up Yoours and here. Great Bio, and Heavenly Sword scores though. Bring on HS2!!!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SH5 is DOA, but for all the wrong reasons.

I trust the western studio. I think SH0 is going to be fantastic, I really do. It's going to be classic SH, just made by different people.

Sh5 though...I mean, it has nothing SH0 has going for it: top notch visuals, continues the great story, "new gunplay mechanics," etc.

Late 2008? wtffles lol

TheJollyCorner said:
for those of us who haven't been following Halo 3's ambitious journey, maybe you could elaborate for us.

Isn't this an EGM thread? Did you miss the seventy billion page blow out last ish? It's pretty much all there.

JB1981 said:
When Lair is bad, EGM scores can be trusted.

When Warhawk and HS are good, EGM scores can't be trusted.
The only ones I'm seeing in this thread saying EGM can't be trusted are people making mega-funny original jokes.

EGM are harsh markers, so the high scores speak loud volumes for the games that received them.

Ratchet is going to own the hell out of Heavenly Sword though. Just an FYI.

Awesome Bioshock score!

I really hope the Okami rumor comes true. If its successful it'll suck that the team that made it was disbanded :(

TeTr1C said:
So that means NHL 08 > HS.

hahaha

That's only suppose to be funny when a hyped game bombs and scores lower than a stinker... IE: So in other words, Elf Bowling > "Game in Question"

Or... are you trying to insinuate there can't be a good hockey game?

DemDereNads said:
That's only suppose to be funny when a hyped game bombs and scores lower than a stinker... IE: So in other words, Elf Bowling > "Game in Question"

Or... are you trying to insinuate there can't be a good hockey game?

according to some people on here there will never be a good ea hockey game.

rolls eyes

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
PleoMax said:
Did i say something wrong? Cod4 is going to be a juggernaut of awesome

You like super scripted games like that? I dunno man, playing CoD2 was so frustrating since it didnt seem to give you any freedom, enemies would respawn and you got trough the levels by repetition of patterns. Looked great, but gameplay like that just pisses me off.

CoD 3 doesnt even count since it was a different developer.

I like EGM reviews, the 3 man review system gives you different perspectives since sometimes somebody who doesn't like a particular genre still manages to enjoy a game they usually wouldn't, etc. Best way to judge a game is still playing it yourself though :)

C.T.

Visualante said:
Much of the talent at Clover is now based at Seeds.

wrong, most of them stayed at capcom.

Edit:

@ Zenith

It seems its Nintendos fault for delivering the review code so late.

call of duty 4 looks like it's going to be almost exactly like the last 2, arcade-y warfare deluxe.

i know that's gafs thing though so i'm not going to bother saying what else i think of the last two, lest i get insulted by people with far superior taste in video games than i.

Raging Spaniard said:
I like EGM reviews, the 3 man review system gives you different perspectives since sometimes somebody who doesn't like a particular genre still manages to enjoy a game they usually wouldn't, etc. Best way to judge a game is still playing it yourself though :)

The problem with the format is that it never really allows for the reviews to become anything more than short-form opinion pieces. It's great for giving you the opinion of several people, but the reviews are too short to ever really be informative and are as such almost perfectly useless as buyer's guides. Which is the whole point of the reviews in the first place.

TemplaerDude said:
call of duty 4 looks like it's going to be almost exactly like the last 2, arcade-y warfare deluxe.

i know that's gafs thing though so i'm not going to bother saying what else i think of the last two, lest i get insulted by people with far superior taste in video games than i.

You have a BioShock avatar. No one has better taste than you.

Anyone who's played through the game knows this to be true.

Aalyx

Cool, I'm buying Warhawk anyway but would like more detail on HS, like what they thought about the length etc.

And wow at those NHL 2008 scores, I remember playing an EA Hockey game ages ago and loved it even though I didn't know the rules, wouldn't mind an amazing hockey game to play some time along the line.

Alcibiades said:
don't know if anybody cares but:

Mysims - 6, 5.5, 6.0
Sonic Rush Adventure - 7.5, 7.0, 7.0

Wait, when is Sonic Rush Adventure coming out? I thought it was sometime in October or November. Why is it being reviewed so early?

BirdBomb

Banned
wow, surprising scores for HS and Warhawk. if anyone was going to give them bad scores i thought it would be EGM. i'll be picking those up when i get a ps3.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bioshock, from what little I've played so far, if the game can keep up the intensity of the opening section, that score doesn't surprise me.

3rdman said:
Shocked! Shocked I tell you!
Comments like this are as bad as comments saying that all PS3 scores should be adjusted upwards.

Don't you think it's nice to see that someone who liked the game from the demo and preview builds, likes the full version as well?

epik

Change thread title to:

October EGM Scores: Bioshock, NHL 08, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk

thank you very much...

Sports Game of the YEAR?! <3<3<3

Marconelly said:
Comments like this are as bad as comments saying that all PS3 scores should be adjusted upwards.

Don't you think it's nice to see that someone who liked the game from the demo and preview builds, likes the full version as well?
It's Mangod. Jokes ahoy.

tehbear

Evilink said:
What the hell...I expected so much more from MySims :(

I still want it, I think? I almost feel manshame from wanting this game.

Xisiqomelir said:
So, do I add +1 for all 3 reviews or just the 7? And haven't we know the pricing for like...2 months now?

EGM should include a formula for situations like these so we can compute scores. Bargain Lair is a 10 confirmed?

Jube3

TheJollyCorner said:
for those of us who haven't been following Halo 3's ambitious journey, maybe you could elaborate for us.

They are doing some cool stuff with halo 3.
- 4 Player Online campaign co-op
- Forge map editor/ custom modes
- Saved Replays, replay editor, and screenshot taker. Also ability to upload/send them to people on your live list
- New weapons/vehicles deployment weapons,
- Ranking setup a la Rainbow six vegas with armor options

Thats all I could think of atm, im sure someone else will be able to add more. It is a pretty ambitious game just from the first 3 alone.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mojovonio said:
SH franchise + american team = uhohs
Eh, it's not like team from Japan did some great job with SH4 anyways. It's clear the team is tired of the game and is probably doing something new. SH on PSP already looks like it's in good hands, it will be interesting to see what these new teams can do.

Tieno

Jube3 said:
They are doing some cool stuff with halo 3.
- 4 Player Online campaign co-op
- Forge map editor/ custom modes
- Saved Replays, replay editor, and screenshot taker. Also ability to upload/send them to people on your live list
- New weapons/vehicles deployment weapons,
- Ranking setup a la Rainbow six vegas with armor options

Thats all I could think of atm, im sure someone else will be able to add more. It is a pretty ambitious game just from the first 3 alone.
Off the top of my mead.
+ saved replays/screenshots work in SP and MP.
+ high score/leader board system for campaign.
+ ability to scale and adjust the experience/difficulty of campaign (legendary (and other difficulties) is mostly designed for one player...so 4 player co-op with experienced players might make it rather easy and Frankie has alluded that Bungie has put in stuff so the player can fix this himself, Luke for instance talked about how he made a set up for Halo 3 that mimics a Halo CE experience or something)
+excellent integration with the 360 guide (based on the beta)
+whatever they're going to do with Bungie.net

Woo-Fu

Banned
klee123 said:
Besides Persona 3 and Jeanne D'arc, EGM hasn't given jrpgs much love lately.

Besides Persona 3 and Jeanne D'arc, JRPGs haven't earned much love lately.

Oh one other thing while I'm here, do people really trust/not trust entire magazines instead of trusting/not trusting particular reviewers?

I trusted Greg Kasavin back when he was at Gamespot, but that doesn't mean I trusted Gamespot or Gerstmann.

Top Bottom