• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| I'm seein' double here...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You clearly have some other axe to grind. But you do you.

And Neville has earned the right to find out without being pegged as a mark for himself.
So you don't know what you're mad about but you're mad?

This is why my hero from WWE is, was, and always will be the late Patrice O'Neal

aka the creative writer who when he was fired flatout told them he didn't care because he knew his worth, had opportunities elsewhere that he'd already made offers to and had offers from, and it was okay because it was just one job of many available

Steph got so pissed she repeatedly called him to tell him he was fired. Transparent attempt to make him sad or mad AND it didn't work lolllllll

If WrassleGAF was around then, I'm sure we'd have had a WWE Defense Force swearing that actually he was bad at his job, Steph was right and the best, the calls were epic, and also he was doomed to be blackballed from employment for this grave injustice he did to the McMahons, The Only Employers

Typed this before. Erase "I'm sure", it'd have definitely happened. No question, and not sorry for pointing it out

You clearly have some other axe to grind. But you do you.

And Neville has earned the right to find out without being pegged as a mark for himself.

Oh Neville is a different story.

I thought we were talking in general.

Neville is akin to Ibushi, ZSJ, Galloway and Cody...

But a lot of other guys are gonna Rybacks, Simon Gotchs and Jack Swaggers.

Menome

I need some yaoi romance in my fanfiction

As Vince slid inside, Triple-HHH gasped. He didn't think Vince would fit in, but somehow he had managed.

For Vince, it was a snug fit, but he let the subsequent warmth envelop him.

"Thanks for letting me borrow your coat, Paul"

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, sure if it makes you feel better to wildly believe everyone you like would be signed by NJPW if they left WWE then fine but there's no evidence to support it and it's lazy and easy to just call it "defense force" whenever someone doesn't like your pet guy you didn't give a fuck about until they left WWE.

It wouldn't be any less lazy if I called it NJPW Defense Force than if you called it WWE Defense Force when someone suggests they did something right basically ever.

Hold up, THAT Patrice O'Neal was a WWE writer? Huh.

For like three months yeah. Seems to be the average amount of time people are writers there before they're fired or quit (oops, said the Q word, that's not allowed because workers don't have rights or opinions on work)

Who was that actor from Scooby Doo, Freddy Prinze? He was there too for 3 to 6 months

Don't you normally call that gimmick posting?
None of those post were deliberately made to stir shit up.

Gimmickers post bait specifically for those (You)s. And when people stopped biting they stuck to PPV threads on OT.
As Vince slid inside, Triple-HHH gasped. He didn't think Vince would fit in, but somehow he had managed.

AndreEyes.GIF

Pikma

Banned
I mean if everyone was a mark for themselves like that you couldn't run a company.

Neville is good but he isn't THAT good. Would I rather see Owens/Zayn/Nakamura/Styles or Neville? It isn't a hard question. For me anyways.

Maybe his ceiling is higher than I'm envisioning but he never struck me as more than a midcarder and someone has to midcard.
Lol when being one of the best wrestlers in the whole company isn't THAT good enough.

His character work in his last 6 months was absolutely magnificent despite WWE writing.

What did HHHHHH do next, and how was it actually good for the Independent Contractors eating gruel while the crowd behind the zoo bars ooh and aaw?

Also was it a fur coat? Getting kinda chilly out, wouldn't want the rich to freeze

Angry Grimace

Lol when being one of the best wrestlers in the whole company isn't THAT good enough.

His character work in his last 6 months was absolutely magnificent despite WWE writing.
He was good and not great. Let's not get crazy.

Anth0ny

at this point, these are the active full-timers that would actually surprise me if they walked out at this point:

reigns/rollins/ambrose (the three golden boys)
orton (golden boy)
aj/nakamura/joe (have done everything there is to do outside of wwe, here to ride it out and make that fuck you money)
stroman
usos
new day
jinder
corbin
owens
charlotte
bliss

that's 18

Foggy

So you don't know what you're mad about but you're mad?

? I'm not the one randomly talking about people jacking it to a 5 years joke or New Japan. I'm talking about Neville possibly, maybe just maybe, being justified in trying to realize the potential he sees in himself.

Entropia

No One Remembers
This is why my hero from WWE is, was, and always will be the late Patrice O'Neal

aka the creative writer who when he was fired flatout told them he didn't care because he knew his worth, had opportunities elsewhere that he'd already made offers to and had offers from, and it was okay because it was just one job of many available

Steph got so pissed she repeatedly called him to tell him he was fired. Transparent attempt to make him sad or mad AND it didn't work lolllllll

If WrassleGAF was around then, I'm sure we'd have had a WWE Defense Force swearing that actually he was bad at his job, Steph was right and the best, the calls were epic, and also he was doomed to be blackballed from employment for this grave injustice he did to the McMahons, The Only Employers

WTF? He wrote for WWE?

? I'm not the one randomly talking about people jacking it to a 5 years joke or New Japan. I'm talking about Neville possibly, maybe just maybe, being justified in trying to realize the potential he sees in himself.
lol u mad tho

This, however, is a perfectly reasonable and calm post.
Most of the dumb 5 years shit you guys spit is mostly just jacking it over wild overestimation of how much New Japan wants to sign your favorite former-WWE indie darling. New Japan mostly cares about succeeding in Japan with Japanese wrestlers.

Foggy

Oh Neville is a different story.

I thought we were talking in general.

Neville is akin to Ibushi, ZSJ, Galloway and Cody...

But a lot of other guys are gonna Rybacks, Simon Gotchs and Jack Swaggers.

For sure, I think two separate things are being discussed but they don't always have the same answer. Should someone try to take a bet on themselves if they feel they're being held back? Will they be successful at it?

Neville: yes and yes
Those other guys: yes and no

Hex

Banned
ZVr5Le0.png

No date yet?

Angry Grimace

I mean you're just doing the opposite thing you're accusing me of. I just don't think Neville is a level of talent that Zayn is. Same with Cody.

When Zayn walks out it would be different.

at this point, these are the active full-timers that would actually surprise me if they walked out at this point:

reigns/rollins/ambrose (the three golden boys)
orton (golden boy)
aj/nakamura/joe (have done everything there is to do outside of wwe, here to ride it out and make that fuck you money)
stroman
usos
new day
jinder
corbin
owens
charlotte
bliss

that's 18

You are way underestimating.

Angry Grimace

I don't either. Neville is mediocre
Let's not get crazy. He's great compared to some of the Tall Guys they push. But I don't think he has the natural charisma that some people think he has. It's the same problem with Cody. It's not all in ring ability. Nakamura phones in everything he does but he also oozes charisma out of his pores.

"Remember how CJ Parker went and did nothing because he's a nobody and nothing? Now get me some juice, poor"

Oh it is tedious as hell wading through the garbage.

The BFG card doesn't look any better than the TLC one. Especially with...certain matches

Putting behind spoilers because I don't know where the TV stuff is regarding what was taped
Grado vs Abyss in a Monster's Ball, where Grado's deported if he loses, instantly comes to mind

Foggy

As for overestimation of NJPW's interest in former talent, normally I'd agree. But that was until Sami Callihan of all people got the teaser treatment leading to Power Struggle. If they're gonna feature someone like Sami, then all bets are off on who is on their radar.

But yeah I have no delusions about some mass exodus. I'm not even sure Neville wants to slide into the Ricochet-sized void in NJPW. I'm sure he can find a good deal of success in the UK, US super indies, and maybe a featured tour or 2 in Dragon Gate.

Angry Grimace

As for overestimation of NJPW's interest in former talent, normally I'd agree. But that was until Sami Callihan of all people got the teaser treatment leading to Power Struggle. If they're gonna feature someone like Sami, then all bets are off on who is on their radar.

But yeah I have no delusions about some mass exodus. I'm not even sure Neville wants to slide into the Ricochet-sized void in NJPW. I'm sure he can find a good deal of success in the UK, US super indies, and maybe a featured tour or 2 in Dragon Gate.
I'm not trying to be a wet blanket I'm saying the sample size is Cody Rhodes and CJ Parker and to a lesser extent Drew Galloway who is back in WWE.

Most people can't realistically walk out. Even from what we've been told Neville wanted to leave to build his brand.

Foggy

Neville's always had charisma but he was at his best as a heel and everyone could see it. The best part of his run in NXT was being a diet heel against Zayn.

Juice is great. But NJPW ain't hiring five or six Juice Robinsons.

It was a surprise when they hired one.

Didn't say they would or should, only that faulting someone for attempting to escape a situation that person considers bad prevents that potential for greatness or happiness from ever showing up

Another example: Yeah, Punk sucked at MMA and I never read the comic he always wanted to do and finally got to do. But if he stayed at a job that was clearly making him miserable, he would have never had that chance. And stayed miserable. Who does that benefit, because it certainly isn't him, and I doubt it's his fans. Source: I'm a Punk fan and I sure as shit am glad he tried to make his dreams work and became happier doing so

Angry Grimace

Didn't say they would or should, only that faulting someone for attempting to escape a situation that person considers bad prevents that potential for greatness or happiness from ever showing up

Yeah, Punk sucked at MMA and I never read the comic he always wanted to do and finally got to do. But if he stayed at a job that was clearly making him miserable, he would have never had that chance. And stayed miserable. Who does that benefit, because it certainly isn't him, and I doubt it's his fans. Source: I'm a Punk fan and I sure as shit am glad he tried to make his dreams work and became happier doing so
Punk also got to do literally everything anyone could want in WWE other than main eventing Mania which only like 2 people a year get to do. He's not a good comparison.

NJPW is sometimes interested in guys we don't expect. That much is true. I'm not predicting who they would and wouldn't be interested in. I'm more talking from a numbers perspective. They are pretty much full. Meltzer said so himself. If a bunch of guys leave WWE expecting to get NJPW (or even ROH) paydays, a lot of them are going to be disappointed. The scene just doesn't have the volume of money coming in to support it. Unless all the ex-WWE guys decide to take way less money than normal.

Angry Grimace

NJPW is sometimes interested in guys we don't expect. That much is true. I'm not predicting who they would and wouldn't be interested in. I'm more talking from a numbers perspective. They are pretty much full. Meltzer said so himself. If a bunch of guys leave WWE expecting to get NJPW (or even ROH) paydays, a lot of them are going to be disappointed. The scene just doesn't have the volume of money coming in to support it. Unless all the ex-WWE guys decide to take way less money than normal.
I don't think even Cody has a full time deal in NJPW.

Also on NJPW their current Young Lions crop is fucking aces... there is soon going to be even less space

It's why I don't get why a few here were saying Neville if he goes to NJPW needs to skip the Junior Heavyweight... there's not room in the Heavyweight and there's gonna be even less soon.

I don't think even Cody has a full time deal in NJPW.

He's full time ROH now.

Also on NJPW their current Young Lions crop is fucking aces... there is soon going to be even less space

It's why I don't get why a few here were saying Neville if he goes to NJPW needs to skip the Junior Heavyweight... there's not room in the Heavyweight and there's gonna be even less soon.

I doubt he'd have the choice. They would almost certainly slot him as a junior because of his size. Even Ricochet seems to think so.

Top Bottom