• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Co-Founder and Rift Creator Palmer Luckey Departs Facebook

Armaros

The amount of vitriol and hatred in this thread is disturbing. All of you who have said, "good fuck him" are no better than the person you are all hating.

This is, another great example of how immature gamers are, neogaf as a community.

I'm surprised the mods have let this rampant barbarianism stand.

I don't care for Palmer, his views are different to mine, but I'm not childish enough to perpetuate the hate.

Really, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

Tolerate intolerance!!!!!!!!!!!

Usobuko

Banned
It's pretty tragic if his wealth is his only saving grace.

The poorer white supremacist will rather retain his skin colour than being a rich black man etc. In the same vein, it's similar to everyone else with regards to being white supremacists.

No matter how anyone slices it, this fiasco only serve to taint his "supposedly" legacy, push potential customers to Vive / PSVR and shows how widespread white supremacy is.

If the same alt-right sentiment don't sweep Europe in the coming elections like it did to US, it's literally 7 billions against at best 300 millions white supremacists. This is not a number game you can win, no amount of "honorary white" supremacist like Jon Tron can make up the difference.

He's on the wrong and shitty side of history and his name shall forever be condemned to oblivion.

Gator86

colin1.png

https://twitter.com/notaxation/status/847553186005000192

Hahaha of course he would pop up here. JonTron, Colin, and Luckey should do a podcast where they give the straight, white guy perspective on the gaming industry. They could also discuss the gene pool, taxation, and the magic of memes.

Risible

The amount of vitriol and hatred in this thread is disturbing. All of you who have said, "good fuck him" are no better than the person you are all hating.

This is, another great example of how immature gamers are, neogaf as a community.

I don't care for Palmer, his views are different to mine, but I'm not childish enough to perpetuate the hate.

I don't care for Hitler, his views are different to mine, but I'm not childish enough to perpetuate the hate.

Really, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves

Apathy

lxaMlx8.gif

Him, and every other alt right human shit stain should be mocked and ridiculed and be exposed. They don't just have a "different" opinion that you could say "OK not mine but whatever". This isn't like a conservative wanting to spend more on defense then a liberal. They literally spew out racist and homophonic and misogynistic sentiments and then try to cover it up with "that's my opinion stop trying to oppress me for my views". You trying to normalize that shit and not calling them out says a lot about you.

Soi-Fong

Tolerate intolerance!!!!!!!!!!!

You can disagree with someone's views and actions without telling them to go fuck themselves.

I'm of a brown skin tone (Filipino) and finding out Palmer's view's hurt since I know he was a big part of VR and my day job is in VR. Even still, I don't wish ill will upon him or anything of the sort. Doing so is just immature and childish. Period.

He is right about most of you. I don't know why you let yourselves get so worked up about him when he clearly thinks so little of you. At this point, your rants only serve to feed his ego while he rakes in money hand over fist.

If it wasn't Colin then it would be somebody else with those views and that behavior. Nothing special about Colin.

It's the behavior and the worldview that the majority of gaf has an interest in. Whoever has an audience in the videogame industry and promotes a destructive, ignorant worldview is going to get attention here.

Ensirius

Hahaha of course he would pop up here. JonTron, Colin, and Luckey should do a podcast where they give the straight, white guy perspective on the gaming industry. They could also discuss the gene pool, taxation, and the magic of memes.

I would watch that no joke

What? The dude funded a hate organization. What the hell did you think was going to happen in this thread? Maybe you should...I don't know...not read the thread?

This is a forum and forums thrive off of the opinion of its members.

FX-GMC

You can disagree with someone's views and actions without telling them to go fuck themselves.

I'm of a brown skin tone (Filipino) and finding out Palmer's view's hurt since I know he was a big part of VR and my day job is in VR. Even still, I don't wish ill will upon him or anything of the sort. Doing so is just immature and childish. Period.

Hear that guys? Sit and be silent!

But Seriously,

What? The dude funded a hate organization. What the hell do you think was going to happen in this thread? Maybe you should...I don't know...not read the thread?

Think of the Nazi-wannabes please!!!!

Living dick cheese statue tributes like Luckey who actively try to make innumerable people's lives worse have earned the heat and more.

Not taking an impassioned stand against a known bullshit spout because "his hate is just an opinion" doesn't give you any type of high ground, moral or otherwise, so you can come on down b.

But I'm sure this response is barbarism (the word you're looking for) too.

If this is a /s it's gotta be more obvious next time

EmiPrime

I am going to assume you're for real but it's getting harder to distinguish serious posts defending Palmer and his ilk and Poes just having fun.

Gator86

If it wasn't Colin then it would be somebody else with those views and that behavior. Nothing special about Colin.

It's the behavior and the worldview that the majority of gaf has an interest in. Whoever has an audience in the videogame industry and promotes a destructive, ignorant worldview is going to get attention here.

Basically. Colin isn't remarkable or especially interesting, he's just the uninformed nail sticking up so people hammer him. It's not like people are threatened by his college freshman libertarianism or YouTube comment-level criticism.

And yeah, anyone can make money bashing "PC culture" and "safe spaces." There's a ravenous market for that these days. It must be difficult competing with intellectual heavyweights like Tomi Lahren though.

KoopaTheCasual

It's a shame his circle can't say that same

*shrug*

I have zero sympathy for any supremacist and their ilk.

HvySky

Don't let the door hit your stupid ass on the way out, Palmer.

It's difficult to feel empathetic towards someone who willingly associates themselves with white supremacists.

You choose to view it as hate but I see it as a celebration that a man with toxic views and beliefs has been removed as an influence from the games industry.

KoopaTheCasual

Super curious to see how outspoken you were in the past when it was revealed that Luckey supported white supremacy? Or any other instance of racially charged action in the gaming community?

Just kidding, I'm not curious. I've been around this rodeo before with "neutral" people, who always managed to find their voice when people are condemning intolerance, but always lose it when intolerance is happening. Go figure.

zelas

Nah. Fuck him and anybody that fuels the hatred leads to REAL HATE CRIMES and REAL PEOPLE being physically harmed.

Whether you realize it or not you are basically saying there are no lines that can be crossed and that there will never be people who can't be reformed. I'm black, I've got enough shit on my plate before having to worry about people like him. He can 100% get the fuck out of my life and hobbies. And you can stop lumping people who choose not to care about him in the same group as people who want him to suffer physical harm.

Fuck him.

L Thammy

Fuck Palmer Luckey in all realities and fuck the people who defend him or other white supremacists.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

We don't tolerate racism and bigotry. This is not the time to take the high road or suggest others do the same. If YOU want tolerance for shit like this or people like this, feel free to hit up 4chan/reddit/etc. All in all, fuck Palmer Luckey and anyone who supports/defends his views.

APF

He funded an organization dedicated to white nationalist shitposting in order to influence the election.

Branson

Is t wrong that I purchased an oculus recently, knowing about this, by not having it effect my purchase? The only thing I looked at were the facts of the Rift and the Vive and came to my conclusion by reading how the two headsets compare to each other.

One man doesn't speak for an entire company. I'm sure there were people there who worked really fucking hard and are super open and nice people, who hated this.

I'm sure there are people that work at Sony that support Trump. Don't see anyone not saying don't go buy a PS4. Especially on gaf.

I don't support his views obviously. I'm very accepting. I just didn't base my decision on that specific person. But it's good he left. He needed to. No one there should be oblivious to the fact that supporting a terrible thing like he did would be acceptable in this super open industry.

What? The dude funded a hate organization. What the hell did you think was going to happen in this thread? Maybe you should...I don't know...not read the thread?

He gave some money to an organization based on taking anti-Hillary Clinton memes and posting them on billboards. That doesn't mean the man has alt-right beliefs, or even knew how alt-right the organization was. I never understood how people can think him a white supremacist based on that one single act.

komorebi

Completely agree. We'll be outcasts together I guess.

L Thammy

Is t wrong that I purchased an oculus recently, knowing about this, by not having it effect my purchase? The only thing I looked at were the facts of the Rift and the Vive and came to my conclusion by reading how the two headsets compare to each other.

One man doesn't speak for an entire company. I'm sure there were people there who worked really fucking hard and are super open and nice people, who hated this.

I'm sure there are people that work at Sony that support Trump. Don't see anyone not saying don't go buy a PS4. Especially on gaf.

I don't support his views obviously. I'm very accepting. I just didn't base my decision on that specific person. But it's good he left. He needed to. No one there should be oblivious to the fact that supporting a terrible thing like he did would be acceptable in this super open industry.

I don't think you're in the wrong for deciding to purchase it - you can do that while acknowledging that Luckey is a horrible person spreading horrible ideas - but I don't think the company is totally innocent. They haven't been willing to condemn Luckey for this, and I wouldn't be surprised if his views were known beforehand within the company's leadership. But I'm also sure that there are a bunch of innocent people working at the company who were blindsided by this.

He's donated to foundations that wanted to ensure that brown people like me are discriminated against, why would I be glad that he's taking the money and running?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ooorrrrrrr he's just saying that Palmer doesnt care because he's counting his money. Not everything is a big political statement. EDIT: BTW, I can't stand Colin.

So why even tweet that if you're Colin? He has a weird need to explain how the rich/racist guy is feeling when negative stories are written about them. And he explains it by attacking the reporters!

Why does Colin side on the rich/racist guy's side and not the reporters that are like him "professionally" just reporting the news?

akira28

fuck being ashamed. lol at your description "rampant barbarism".

L Thammy

ah glad to wake up and see the "both sides" type fuckboys have found this thread

Not even. These ar the kool rebelz who are going to stand up for the poor abused white supremacist organization founder. These guys are like the Fonz, except this time Richie is David Duke.

Anarky

Banned
Hey guys moderate here. Luckey's actions are bad and all but you wanna know what's even worse than him funding white supremacists? Cussing him out on a gaming forum.

So why even tweet that if you're Colin? He has a weird need to explain how the rich/racist guy is feeling when negative stories are written about them. And he explains it by attacking the reporters!

Why does Colin side on the rich/racist guy's side and not the reporters that are like him "professionally" just reporting the news?

Because this is how he makes his money. Gotta appease the fanbase and pretend that "old media" is at fault.

hawk2025

ah glad to wake up and see the "both sides" type fuckboys have found this thread

Like clockwork:

- Wait until thread dies down some
- bring up page count
- bring up how "the outrage makes you just as bad"
- cart out the "difference of opinion" talking point
- downplay what the person actually did

Rinse, repeat, wait for the next thread.

komorebi

I'm not sure how well this will be accepted on this forum, but after my post above I'd like to add that you don't eradicate hate with hate. It requires love and above all forgiveness. These two things are the only counter to hatred in all its forms. Jumping on a counter-hate bandwagon makes one become what one is trying to change. It's up to each individual to rise above hatred and "be the bigger man", so to speak. I just wanted to offer this.

I'm not sure how well this will be accepted on this forum, but after my post above I'd like to add that you don't eradicate hate with hate. It requires love and above all forgiveness. These two things are the only counter to hatred in all its forms. Jumping on a counter-hate bandwagon makes one become what one is trying to change. It's up to each individual to rise above hatred and "be the bigger man", so to speak. I just wanted to offer this.

What world do you live in where this is true

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hey guys moderate here. Luckey's actions are bad and all but you wanna know what's even worse than him funding white supremacists? Cussing him out on a gaming forum.
Lol for real. They're slowly crawling out the woodwork thinking it's safe to come out now.

MKIL65

''Both sides! I'm sure this Japanese multinational corporation has just as many white supremacists!''

rHF8K.gif

Top Bottom