• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Co-Founder and Rift Creator Palmer Luckey Departs Facebook

TriAceJP

Wait so where's the call outs of the majority of the posts that amount to fuck him. I don't know how much intellectual value those posts actually have either.

This thread is embarrassing for all involved, you should be embarrassed.

Yup.

Wait so where's the call outs of the majority of the posts that amount to fuck him. I don't know how much intellectual value those posts actually have either.

Nah just those defending the poor millionaire

Itt people talk out of their ass when attempting to moral high horse defend someone who might not be a white supremacist but definitely funded a group that furthers their speech.

What a fucking hill to die on

hawk2025

He funded a group to take down Hillary Clinton with memes or some shit. I think pushing that all into 'funding white supremacy' is a stretch, even if that Nimble Man group is rather questionable. I think you guys call that 'soft racism'.

Has the dude ever said or done anything forwardly racist?

He is just some rich young douche who did stupid things. I don't think we need a 15 page thread of people high fiving and saying 'Yeah bro fuck this dude!'. Not exactly a progressive discussion.

And no, I do not like this guy nor do I agree with anything he has done. I know GAF likes the witch hunt with the 'alt-right supporters' and all that garbage.

Neither has 90% of the post in the thread.

So:

"The hate on this website is sickening"

And at the same time, "soft racism" is just "goofy".

That's your stance.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Maybe, just maybe, people are just sick and tired of hearing the same lazy arrogant bull shit time and time again. So a lot of people don't want to spend the time giving a long nuanced explanation to yet another person acting the fool to defend a shitty person.

TriAceJP

Nah just those defending the poor millionaire

Itt people talk out of their ass when attempting to moral high horse defend someone who might not be a white supremacist but definitely funded a group that furthers their speech.

What a fucking hill to die on

I don't think you know what 'defending' means.

So:

"The hate on this website is sickening"

And at the same time, "soft racism" is just "goofy".

That's your stance.

This is a video game discussion website. Not the morality police.

There was the JonTron, PewDiePie and Colin Moriarty threads that went on to the umpteenth page of this exact shit. Nothing progressive, just people circle jerking each other off.

Before you guys start throwing around 'this TriAceJP guy sounds like a fucking scumbag who supports X person!', well, think again. I'm sick of seeing GAF finding their donkey of the month with people posting nothing but 'YEAH MAN FUCK THAT GUY!'.

Gator86

The fuck him posts are basically people saying "hate shouldn't be tolerated in this industry" which is a good thing to support. Many of those people followed up with more detailed responses after. Just popping up with the laziest both sides, intolerant left, echo chamber, he was just goofin, and shit you see in every social issues thread can fuck off. It's always one or two lazy posts of that type from a person then, when someone tears their argument to shreds, they ghost. It's clockwork.

KoopaTheCasual

So tell us then, what action or statement has Palmer Luckey made that proves he himself is a white supremacist, and in what way did he actively engage in ways to suppress minorities? Because as far as I'm aware, his only single action which brought this all down upon him, was to give some money once to an organization that had as its goal to take anti-Clinton memes and post them on billboards. How is that actively suppressing minorities, unless those memes they chose were anti-minority (they weren't)? OK sure, a horrible person that does fit your description happened to work at this organization, I'm not sure how that turns into "Palmer Luckey and Steve Bannon are BFF's who think and act the same way"
So now we're doing purity tests for white supremacists?

And lol @ sugar-coating Nimble America (who nuked its site and all social media accounts when people caught wind) as simply an "anti-Clinton" operation.

He funded a group to take down Hillary Clinton with memes or some shit. I think pushing that all into 'funding white supremacy' is a stretch, even if that Nimble Man group is rather questionable. I think you guys call that 'soft racism'.

Yea, I'm done.

Alucrid

Banned

There was the JonTron, PewDiePie and Colin Moriarty threads that went on to the umpteenth page of this exact shit. Nothing progressive, just people circle jerking each other off.

Before you guys start throwing around 'this TriAceJP guy sounds like a fucking scumbag who supports X person!', well, think again. I'm sick of seeing GAF finding their donkey of the month with people posting nothing but 'YEAH MAN FUCK THAT GUY!'.

i think you (newest donkey of the month) call that 'soft defending'

oh boy. that's way worse. I wasn't informed he actually created that shit.

It still doesn't take away from the product, for me, but seriously fuck that dude. Glad he's gone.
Branson, I wasn't trying to be an arse, but I'm glad you understand why there is a difference. Do I want him to die? No way man. But I do want him to be held accountable for his actions. Yeah he doesn't care about monetary issues, but judging from Markus Perrson, social acceptance is equally important.

jaxpunk

The fuck him posts are basically people saying "hate shouldn't be tolerated in this industry" which is a good thing to support. Many of those people followed up with more detailed responses after. Just popping up with the laziest both sides, intolerant left, echo chamber, he was just goofin, and shit you see in every social issues thread can fuck off. It's always one or two lazy posts of that type from a person then, when someone tears their argument to shreds, they ghost. It's clockwork.

While I can appreciate reading between the lines. Let's say we follow thru with the expanding on their "fuck him" posts.

Second reply - Good. Go fuck yourself Palmer. Only post in the thread.
14th posts - And no one will give a fuck. Only post in the thread.
24th post - Go fuck yourself, Luckey. his other post Stop forgiving white supremacist scum bags.
25th post - Good fuck off only post in the thread.

This goes on for pages. There is no discussion here. It's a shit thread full of shit posts.

To be fair I only followed up on the people who put the word fuck in their posts.

KoopaTheCasual

While I can appreciate reading between the lines. Let's say we follow thru with the expanding on their "fuck him" posts.

24th post - Go fuck yourself, Luckey. his other post Stop forgiving white supremacist scum bags.

This goes on for pages. There is no discussion here. It's a shit thread full of shit posts.

To be fair I only followed up on the people who put the word fuck in their posts.
Yea, and threads like these get closed over time, because Mod Bot says "no useful discussion is happening here, I'm shutting this down."

But now, people coming in to 'discuss' the merits of defending Luckey are preventing nature from taking it's course. It's funny, the only reason this thread is likely still open is because people are regularly coming in here to complain about the thread's existence.

Gator86

So you picked out the ones that aren't discussion and quoted those. Sure thing. Also, that's not the end of the world. Are people really annoyed by multiple people adding +1 against funding white supremacy? That's the problem here?

If 👏 you 👏 don't 👏 like 👏 it 👏 report 👏 the 👏 thread 👏 or 👏 better 👏 yet 👏 don't 👏 click 👏.

Don't get mad at people for...what is it...stating their opinion?

Gaf Hive mind bail out option select is also a strong move.

Back on topic: fuck palmer Luckey. Glad he's gone!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Its because this is not a new topic of conversation on GAF and has had dozens of threads so far. People have discussed this issue and Palmer Luckey to death already. Saying fuck him is just the exclamation point at the end of a very long heated conversation.

L Thammy

I'm tired of this "racism is bad" hivemind. You guys want to think you're so big on diversity but where's your tolerance for ideological diversity?

I'm trying to think of how to make this sentiment more ridiculous so that it's obvious that I'm not serious but I genuinely can't.

Why is it bad to have new threads exposing racism, or reminding people in the industry of news regarding those same racist people?

I for one find it difficult to not ever look at someone more than their very serious flaws. Mel Gibson for example, I love his past work, but man, that dude is the biggest scumbag. It's hard to talk about his good without talking about his bad.

Same with this guy, or the other folks that try to silence or belittle coverage/conversations about said controversies.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
wint‏
@dril

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Clearly the front runner for 'most relevant quote of 2017'.

MKIL65

Please bring up some examples as to how we can be ''progressive'' with racists. I assume your proposed arguments are gonna be garbage, but I still wanna see them.

Or... You can just run away. Very ''progressive''

Tagyhag

Has the dude ever said or done anything forwardly racist?

He is just some rich young douche who did stupid things. I don't think we need a 15 page thread of people high fiving and saying 'Yeah bro fuck this dude!'. Not exactly a progressive discussion.

And no, I do not like this guy nor do I agree with anything he has done. I know GAF likes the witch hunt with the 'alt-right supporters' and all that garbage.

It's been shown that the group was directly pro-Trump, which at the very least, means that they're directly OK with white supremacism, you wouldn't be pro-Trump otherwise.

He doesn't have to actually say anything racist to be a racist, depending on your actions, you could still be classified as one. There are lots of racists that keep it to themselves, but they're still racists. The fact that he lied about being a Trump supporter and tried to mask it off as "No I'm a libertarian, I voted for Gary Johnson!" Means that he knew what he was doing was wrong to a lot of people.

And yeah, he's still young but to me, it would be different it he were 16, then I would understand. He's 24, I'm 25. Hell, at 20 I knew enough to not do something stupid like him.

And I agree that GAF can go a bit heavy with the witch hunt sometimes, some people honestly don't understand what's going on. But that said, it's not like people don't give us ammo. You'll see many juniors pop up and just ask "Yeah but is it really so bad to be racist?" or "Wow, the tolerant left much? Just let us fuck you guys up in peace".

Gestault

Maybe you should contact a mod.

rhandino

Banned
I mean, if it bothers you so much maybe you can contact a mod and expose these kind of threads and why they shouldn't exist?

EDIT: Beaten like Pepe.

poodaddy

If �� you �� don't �� like �� it �� report �� the �� thread �� or �� better �� yet �� don't �� click ��.

Don't get mad at people for...what is it...stating their opinion?

Gaf Hive mind bail out option select is also a strong move.

Back on topic: fuck palmer Luckey. Glad he's gone!

Hopefully when he contacts a mod he doesn't leave out how he stated that he's ok with "soft racism." I mean honestly the guy deserves a tag for that. Can someone explain to me what soft racism is? Is it the acceptable way to hate another person for the color of their skin or nationality? Cuz I must of been confused over here thinking racism was deplorable in all its various forms, no matter what 'level' of racism we're discussing here.

Fuck Palmer for his "soft racism." Hope I'm not being too intolerant of racists with that statement....

cry moar

I'm not sure how well this will be accepted on this forum, but after my post above I'd like to add that you don't eradicate hate with hate. It requires love and above all forgiveness. These two things are the only counter to hatred in all its forms. Jumping on a counter-hate bandwagon makes one become what one is trying to change. It's up to each individual to rise above hatred and "be the bigger man", so to speak. I just wanted to offer this.

Right m8

A chorus of "fuck you's" aimed at Palmer Luckey isn't exactly something I am interested in reading, but it is pretty well deserved. I can't imagine you are too bothered by what Palmer was doing if this thread really bothers you that much.

My post of relief is of Luckey finally being divorced of mainstream VR and Oculus, at least until he funds Nimble VR or something. Frankly, they should've cut him loose far sooner, but it seems like he had one solid contract with Facebook.

I really like VR and think it's very promising technology. And I will give the man his due regard for getting people excited about it again, even though it's clear now several companies were already thinking about it seriously, especially Valve. He went on-stage, and said some of the right things about pricing, platform openness, and other matters.

It turned out many of those statements had no weight behind them, and were meaningless for Oculus' actual direction. So he couldn't exactly be trusted as a mouth piece for the company anymore, even understanding that plans change.

Cut forward a little later, and it comes out that he's directly, and secretly, funding a hate group. Nothing "goofy" about that. And the weirder thing is, Oculus and Facebook push the "we don't want to punish him for his political views" line, and circle the wagons, when they had made a big deal about inclusion in the VR dev space. There were developers who already committed to or signed contracts with Oculus, who were attacked by this very group. They were left with the horrible position of having to knowingly create their work to generate profits for a company, who would pay a chunk of it them to a prominent figure who channeled them previously into a hate group that attacked them and their loved ones. What a shitty position that is. It put a lot of people off present and future Oculus development.

Divorcing him of Oculus is a positive for the platform and VR. It should've happened far sooner, but if his contract was airtight, they did the next-best thing in burying him until it was over. After all, they could've renewed it. Imagine how that would've been received.

Gator86

wint‏
@dril

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Clearly the front runner for 'most relevant quote of 2017'.

This actually sums up an astounding amount of posts in this topic, on social issues topics on GAF, and society in general these days.

I agree with this. Can we be a bit more productive. Let's discuss how you think this "retirement" will affect Oculus going forward and what you think Facebook has planned for the future of the VR platform. I just bought a rift after price cut and am excited about what I can experience on it.

I agree with this. Can we be a bit more productive. Let's discuss how you think this "retirement" will affect Oculus going forward and what you think Facebook has planned for the future of the VR platform. I just bought a rift after price cut and am excited about what I can experience on it.
Neat

Go start a thread about it, it appears you have the correct privileges.

Top Bottom