• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Co-Founder and Rift Creator Palmer Luckey Departs Facebook

This is a video game discussion website. Not the morality police.
judging from your posts this is Facebook

There was the JonTron, PewDiePie and Colin Moriarty threads that went on to the umpteenth page of this exact shit. Nothing progressive, just people circle jerking each other off.

Fuck Colin, he sent his Twitter brigade against Bob Mackey, he's a pussy. You don't agree with me then argue, don't just use *'both sides'*

Before you guys start throwing around 'this TriAceJP guy sounds like a fucking scumbag who supports X person!', well, think again. I'm sick of seeing GAF finding their donkey of the month with people posting nothing but 'YEAH MAN FUCK THAT GUY!'.
That persecution complex bullshit is for Reddit babies, if you don't like it here then go upvote constructive threads over there

Gator86

Fuck Colin, he sent his Twitter brigade against Bob Mackey, he's a pussy. You don't agree with me then argue, don't just use *'both sides'*

That persecution complex bullshit is for Reddit babies, if you don't like it here then go upvote constructive threads over there

Stop persecuting TriAce and making him a donkey. That's just as bad as literally everything else bad that has ever happened.

It's been shown that the group was directly pro-Trump, which at the very least, means that they're directly OK with white supremacism, you wouldn't be pro-Trump otherwise.

He doesn't have to actually say anything racist to be a racist, depending on your actions, you could still be classified as one. There are lots of racists that keep it to themselves, but they're still racists. The fact that he lied about being a Trump supporter and tried to mask it off as "No I'm a libertarian, I voted for Gary Johnson!" Means that he knew what he was doing was wrong to a lot of people.

And yeah, he's still young but to me, it would be different it he were 16, then I would understand. He's 24, I'm 25. Hell, at 20 I knew enough to not do something stupid like him.

And I agree that GAF can go a bit heavy with the witch hunt sometimes, some people honestly don't understand what's going on. But that said, it's not like people don't give us ammo. You'll see many juniors pop up and just ask "Yeah but is it really so bad to be racist?" or "Wow, the tolerant left much? Just let us fuck you guys up in peace".

And I'm 42 this year and I know now not to do or say shit that i was saying when I was 25. The point is no matter your age you don't just stop learning when you get there. People change from year to year, decade to decade. You don't just stop maturing at age 25. Conversely some people don't ever change. That being said he did sound like a total douche. But he is gone from Oculus now and we can hopefully think that that is good for the future of Oculus and Vr. Let's move on. He is just another douche in a world full of them. Messed up thing is he is rich beyond imagination so mostly likely he don't give any f*&ks about any of this and won't learn anything.

Originally Posted by TriAceJP

There was the JonTron, PewDiePie and Colin Moriarty threads that went on to the umpteenth page of this exact shit. Nothing progressive, just people circle jerking each other off.

Before you guys start throwing around 'this TriAceJP guy sounds like a fucking scumbag who supports X person!', well, think again. I'm sick of seeing GAF finding their donkey of the month with people posting nothing but 'YEAH MAN FUCK THAT GUY!'.

You are proving TriAceJP right with your responses. The irony is that everyone here is celebrating the "retiring", really firing of a guy who generally is hated on because he secretly or openly supported a hate group by....... hating on him.

Hateception

L Thammy

Let's also not forget that Luckey's girlfriend had to delete her Twitter account when this happened because it was nothing but a stream of bigotry. The guy surrounds himself in this stuff.

I agree with this. Can we be a bit more productive. Let's discuss how you think this "retirement" will affect Oculus going forward and what you think Facebook has planned for the future of the VR platform. I just bought a rift after price cut and am excited about what I can experience on it.

I'll bite.

I don't think this retirement will affect Oculus at all, since it already sounded like Luckey wasn't really involved in R&D by the time the Nimble America stuff came out, largely taking on a more customer-oriented PR role. Once he became so toxic that the PR role was basically impossible for him to fill, it wasn't clear what if anything Luckey was still doing at the company. To be honest, the biggest question is why Oculus/Facebook kept him around for so long after the scandal broke.

You are proving TriAceJP right with your responses. The irony is that everyone here is celebrating the "retiring", really firing of a guy who generally is hated on because he secretly or openly supported a hate group by....... hating on him.

Hateception

You're right, everyone in this thread who is funding a propaganda group that wants to post billboards about how Palmer Luckey is too big to jail, organized by a who's who of radical leftist firebrands who think white people are genetically inferior to other races, should feel pretty ashamed of themselves right now for their hypocrisy.

Alucrid

Banned

Hateception

why do white supremacists hate people

why do people who hate white supremacists hate them

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Hateception

Oh give me a break. He said a lot of dumb shit and got called out for it. There is nothing wrong with hating racism, bigotry and white supremacy because its the absolute lowest of the low of humanity, its our species at its worst.

collige

Banned
I agree with this. Can we be a bit more productive. Let's discuss how you think this "retirement" will affect Oculus going forward and what you think Facebook has planned for the future of the VR platform. I just bought a rift after price cut and am excited about what I can experience on it.
Sure. I think that going forward, not having this lying dickhead working for Oculus will help them since his presence actively scared off developers.

McLovin

Palmer can go sit on glass. I normally don't hate on people but that Internet smear campaign of his towards Hillary was part of the reason we ended up with Trump.

KoopaTheCasual

You're right, everyone in this thread who is funding a propaganda group that wants to post billboards about how Palmer Luckey is too big to jail, organized by a who's who of radical leftist firebrands who think white people are genetically inferior to other races, should feel pretty ashamed of themselves right now for their hypocrisy.
We've really been caught with our pants down, huh guys?

Hateception

But following the same rule you're now at apologistception right?

See the thing is, when someone funds a hate group they're are going to be hated. Rightfully so. Or are you actually going to argue that people who fund hate groups should be forgiven because....well nobody has actually managed to present a reason ironically.

Then when someone goes on a tirade to protect the poor racist, all the while attempting to belittle people, they're going to get shit flung at them. Remember they chose to defend someone who's directly funded a hate group and try turn the "stop being so hateful" card on them.

What you seem to be missing is the only way to please these people is to allow the racist to be racist, or else his defense force shows up and says "stop being so hateful, it's not his fault he doesn't like black people". This is essentially what you're doing now just further down the chain.

But take a step back and ask, why am I defending anyone who's, at the root of the issue, defending somebody who funded a hate group. What motivation could people have in defending that unless they're closely tied to the person or hold similar beliefs?

Zaphod

Emphasized for emphasis...and accuracy.

Hey now, let's not just post or quote mean one liners. What's really important, is for free speech advocates to loudly denounce and attempt to silence any critiques of the ultimate free speech hero, Palmer Luckey, and his important work of financing Jews in the Oven memes.

JonTron wasn't comfortable with the idea that immigrants are "dilluting" the American genepool. If you think a literal Nazi argument isn't worth any outrage over, that tells us a lot about you.

PewDiePie did some dumb shit that isn't on the same level as JonTron, but also lowered himself in the end to thank alt-right Youtubers because they agreed with him.

You're really not making a strong case for yourself in this thread if you pull up those threads as evidence for an echo chamber and circle jerking.

There is nothing progressive to be done in such threads outside of condemning those people as hard as possible. If you think progressive is equal to "But let us listen to BOTH sides", then you don't know what progressive means.

Johndoey

Banned
Was wondering what happened to this piece of shit. Fuck him, and fuck Oculus for sticking him in a back room till the heat died down. Go radio silent for what three-four months then this? Nah breh.

But following the same rule you're now at apologistception right?

See the thing is, when someone funds a hate group they're are going to be hated. Rightfully so. Or are you actually going to argue that people who fund hate groups should be forgiven because....well nobody has actually managed to present a reason ironically.

Then when someone goes on a tirade to protect the poor racist, all the while attempting to belittle people, they're going to get shit flung at them. Remember they chose to defend someone who's directly funded a hate group and try turn the "stop being so hateful" card on them.

What you seem to be missing is the only way to please these people is to allow the racist to be racist, or else his defense force shows up and says "stop being so hateful, it's not his fault he doesn't like black people". This is essentially what you're doing now just further down the chain.

But take a step back and ask, why am I defending anyone who's, at the root of the issue, defending somebody who funded a hate group. What motivation could people have in defending that unless they're closely tied to the person or hold similar beliefs?

I'm not apologizing or condoning anything just pointing out that hate fosters hate and there is a lot of irony in the hateful response. Not it isn't really productive at all to any meaningful conversation. Do you think these comments "fuck him", and "good riddance' is doing anything to fight racism and hateful people? Do you even think they see these comments and give a damn?

I mean where did get from any of my statements that I am defending anyone. Jesus people take a chill pill people. I get it the world sucks, there are evil people and all who are good must do everything we can to eradicate all evil, including posting "fuck you" on Gaf threads.

I'm not apologizing or condoning anything just pointing out that hate fosters hate and there is a lot of irony in the hateful response. Not it isn't really productive at all to any meaningful conversation. Do you think these comments "fuck him", and "good riddance' is doing anything to fight racism and hateful people? Do you even think they see these comments and give a damn?

Do you think the completely irrational hate against foreigners and espousing of white supremacist ideology can be fought against with friendly conversation?

KoopaTheCasual

If I shuck and jive down the street like a respectable negro, do you think they'll give a damn?

Progress has never been won on the back of "respectability". Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is white-washing (heh) history. If you say hateful shit, you'll see from the anger and outrage that "oh, maybe this is upsetting people for a reason." You're not gonna see that immediate response if we handle every racist with kiddies gloves. It just condones that behavior.

Social ostracizing works. It might force the moron spouting hateful things to dig in, but it also forces others to think about *why* they might see that individual being ostracized.

To look at the other side, normalizing hate like his in different ways leads to bolder manifestation. The spike in hate crimes after Trump's election is not some coincidence. Mould festers in darkness and it's about time people start not only putting a light on it, but washing it out.

Those who don't like it better be contributing in their own way.

Just pointing this out, more for readers than you.

Alucrid

Banned

I mean where did get from any of my statements that I am defending anyone. Jesus people take a chill pill people. I get it the world sucks, there are evil people and all who are good must do everything we can to eradicate all evil, including posting "fuck you" on Gaf threads.

if they don't even see these comments and thus cannot give a damn how is this "hate" fostering hate if it's going unnoticed by luckey palmer

alternatively, what are you doing that's more productive than these "fuck you"s to stop evil and racism in the world so that we can take after your example?

finally how do you know the people going "fuck you" don't also contribute in fighting racism and hateful people and merely popped in from their busy day of fighting racism and hateful people to just give a nice "fuck you" to a hateful person?

Johndoey

Banned
Do you think the completely irrational hate against foreigners and espousing of white supremacist ideology can be fought against with friendly conversation?

No apparently if we're all sunshine and rainbows to racist shitheads they'll magically realize the error of their ways. Guess we should just join up and sing Kumbaya all day.

HStallion

Yes because if the entire population of the world said,"FUCK RACISM!" and actually meant it and followed through, we'd be in an easily better place. People voicing loudly and proudly that they despise bigotry, racism and the like is not just a good thing, its a needed thing and to be repeated ad nausem till there can be no doubts.

Basically it sounds like you're saying,"Don't be mean to bigots or you might make them even more bigoted or turn other people into bigots" That's horse shit my friend, plain and simple.

Sure. I think that going forward, not having this lying dickhead working for Oculus will help them since his presence actively scared off developers.

As an owner of the Rift I am hoping that is what will happen here as I welcome more content being developed. It seems Vr has lost a little steam so i hope this will help.

Yes because if the entire population of the world said,"FUCK RACISM!" and actually meant it and followed through, we'd be in an easily better place. People voicing loudly and proudly that they despise bigotry, racism and the like is not just a good thing, its a needed thing and to be repeated ad nausem till there can be no doubts.

Basically it sounds like you're saying,"Don't be mean to bigots or you might make them even more bigoted or turn other people into bigots" That's horse shit my friend, plain and simple.

Please point to anything I said here that can be interpreted to this.

You want to fight against bigots there are many many ways to take up the cause, public protesting, foundations to fund that is against it. I just think posting these comments here does not change anything serves to make people better about themselves and their beliefs. I am totally against hate, racism, bigotry and any forms of oppression AND I do plenty outside of the forum to support my beliefs.

I think the fact that I am getting these response to my relatively light comments basically twisting my words around to mean I am defending this guy because I am not shouting to high heavens that I hate Luckey and everyone who condone what he stands for is horse shit bro.

Hateception

And you're hating on us, so by your logic you're "no better" than us, and we're apparently no better than him, so you're basically just as bad as white supremacists really if you think about it.

Hatecepception

chekhonte

The fact that people tend to focus their hate on the people rather than the actions of bigots is rather disturbing and undoubtedly has contributed to the problem.

if they don't even see these comments and thus cannot give a damn how is this "hate" fostering hate if it's going unnoticed by luckey palmer

alternatively, what are you doing that's more productive than these "fuck you"s to stop evil and racism in the world so that we can take after your example?

finally how do you know the people going "fuck you" don't also contribute in fighting racism and hateful people and merely popped in from their busy day of fighting racism and hateful people to just give a nice "fuck you" to a hateful person?

Really? There are tons of Anti-hate groups you can fund, public protest, charities that do good to back, volunteer work. You don't fight hate with more hate. I can't believe what I am reading here.

I'm going to take a loss here and back out of this thread. It's obviously going places and I don't think I want to be a part of it.

FX-GMC

The fact that people tend to focus their hate on the people rather than the actions of bigots is rather disturbing and undoubtedly has contributed to the problem.

I think a bigger problem is the people getting upset that other people are upset because somebody did racist shit.

Why do so many of you care if our opinion is "Fuck Palmer Luckey?" What stock do you have in this?

Really? There are tons of Anti-hate groups you can fund, public protest, charities that do good to back, volunteer work. You don't fight hate with more hate. I can't believe what I am reading here.

I'm going to take a loss here and back out of this thread. It's obviously going places and I don't think I want to be a part of it.

Nope you fight hate with flowers and big bags of chocolates. Fuck Palmer Luckey.

And you're hating on us, so by your logic you're "no better" than us, and we're apparently no better than him, so you're basically just as bad as white supremacists really if you think about it.

Hatecepception

Which of my comments can be interpreted as hate?

As i said I'm taking a loss on this. Obviously you guys are very passionate about your cause and I'm wrong.

All I'm saying is that there are times to be angry and times not to be. When a person says "fuck this guy" and it's due to his racist actions, it does actually fight racism. It reinforces that it isn't acceptable. The larger the quantities of people who feel that way, the more people who don't get why will start to question themselves. When people come out of the woodwork and say "You're just as bad as him" it's trying to silence the criticism of racism, indirectly or not.

I also get what you're saying with "hate breeds hate" but there's a very different type of hate. On one side we have rich white people offended that they can't be openly racist and as many of the memes spawned from the very group Palmer funded "Gas the Jews". They want this to be an acceptable way to talk and pass it all off as jokes. On the other side we have multiple races being told they're not as valuable as a white guy would be. Hate is what they both feel, but only one is justified. That hate also wouldn't exist were these races not being told they should shut up and fall in line below the white male.

Here's the thing: we've had enough. Consider the ridiculous horseshit decent people have had to endure- the rise of white supremacy, a white supremacist takeover of the US government, being expected to put up with youtube comment level of insight and discourse from the other side, a video game industry problematic at best for women and an organized online hate group that makes life miserable for whoever they decide should be a target (women in particular are at risk), and the list goes on and on. Whoever is on the side of all of that garbage should be called out. Enough is enough. If standing against that- by posting on gaf or however- is troubling to you, maybe you don't understand the nature and significance of what we're dealing with.

KoopaTheCasual

You want to fight against bigots there are many many ways to take up the cause, public protesting, foundations to fund that is against it. I just think posting these comments here does not change anything serves to make people better about themselves and their beliefs. I am totally against hate, racism, bigotry and any forms of oppression AND I do plenty outside of the forum to support my beliefs.

I think the fact that I am getting these response to my relatively light comments basically twisting my words around to mean I am defending this guy because I am not shouting to high heavens that I hate Luckey and everyone who condone what he stands for is horse shit bro.
Reaffirming that this place has zero tolerance of hate speech is INCREDIBLY useful to users and the community. Not sure what your ethnic background is, but I have personally left online communities, due to the platform/community's "meh" stance against hate speech. It wears you down. It's so refreshing to see a vibrant community like NeoGAF shout from the rooftops that hate-speech and bigotry are not welcome, and strongly condemns them, when instances arise.

That's cool that you do work outside of a forum, but I also think it's cool that Gaf is the place it is.

Alucrid

Banned

way to completely miss the point. here's the thing, you have no clue what people do outside this forum. them saying "fuck luckey palmer" does not mean they don't take more constructive action outside this forum and to simply assume otherwise makes you look like an ass. kinda like this exchange.

I'll just reiterate what I said above, in another form: I hold zero shame being a straight, white male. That's how I was born. I've treated people with respect and dignity since I was a small child. That's how I was raised. I've done the very best that I can.

That said, it's strange that you'd ignore all of the work I HAVE done for social causes in propagating positive discussion in videos and podcasts with millions of cumulative views and listeners ranging on topics from Ferguson to the Muslim ban. Which, I hate to say it, is far more actionable and positive than a vast majority of folks have done, including you, I assume.

But cover your ears so your feelings don't get hurt. If I don't agree with you, I'm a bad, bad man!
Strange of you to start assuming stuff about other people just because you find the actions you've done meaningful.

I'm a lawyer. I've done pro bono work. I've helped indigent clients. I've done case work for the Innocence Project. I've helped on immigration cases. Most of the areas I've worked with are largely minority centric or impoverished neighborhoods. A large portion of my resume is centered around these jobs and areas.

Please, try again.

HStallion

Hey guess what? I do a lot to fight racism outside of this forum from working with protests to volunteering my time to voting against bigots and their beliefs. Does that allow me to now post about how vile these people are and how much I dislike them and their beliefs or do I need to do more before I'm allowed to? Even crazier is the possibility I can do both at the same time!

The reason you're getting the kind of response you're getting is you're doing a pretty half assed attempt at the "both sides" argument. Its an argument we've heard a thousand thousand times before in a variety of ways and its horse shit each and every time.

chekhonte

I think a bigger problem is the people getting upset that other people are upset because somebody did racist shit.

Why do so many of you care if our opinion is "Fuck Palmer Luckey?" What stock do you have in this?

Nope you fight hate with flowers and big bags of chocolates. Fuck Palmer Luckey.

because when you reject somebody totally for any behavior you're dehumanizing them contributing to the polarizing atmosphere that we're seeing. If you want to see all this Trump bullshit recede we're going to have to accept that some people have horrible bigoted views but that they might be capable of change. When you tell somebody "Fuck you, the natural position is for them to say fuck you right back and hence we're stuck in this idiotic stalemate.

Guys I just want to clear it up that I 100% do not condone this douche Luckey and anyone who remotely think or act in this matter promoting hate, bigotry, bullying, racism, etc. In fact I "hate" it just as much and seeing it everything bothers me too. I do support anti-hate initiatives in my own way and wish i could do more all the time. In no way was any of my comments meant to sound like I was condoning it of defending it.

Hey guess what? I do a lot to fight racism outside of this forum from working with protests to volunteering my time to voting against bigots and their beliefs. Does that allow me to now post about how vile these people are and how much I dislike them and their beliefs or do I need to do more before I'm allowed to? Even crazier is the possibility I can do both at the same time!

The reason you're getting the kind of response you're getting is you're doing a pretty half assed attempt at the "both sides" argument. Its an argument we've heard a thousand thousand times before in a variety of ways and its horse shit each and every time.

I'm not arguing for any sides just saying that it's not productive to post "fuck him" and "gtfo" comment after comment.

Anyway I'm out. Enough of this.

HStallion

because when you reject somebody totally for any behavior you're dehumanizing them contributing to the polarizing atmosphere that we're seeing. If you want to see all this Trump bullshit recede we're going to have to accept that some people have horrible bigoted views but that they might be capable of change. When you tell somebody "Fuck you, the natural position is for them to say fuck you right back and hence we're stuck in this idiotic stalemate.

Maybe if they tried to be less of a racist or bigot in the first place then people wouldn't be telling them to fuck off.

I'm not arguing for any sides just saying that it's not productive to post "fuck him" and "gtfo" comment after comment.

Anyway I'm out. Enough of this.

And I think its quite productive to say fuck him and the horse he road in on.

Fisty

Yeah but sitting down and hearing these fucks out just gives them the impression that their beliefs have any place in an acceptable modern society. Which they dont. So fuck em.

And yes dehumanizing bigots is ok. They are subhuman. Does that make me a bigot? Who cares, fuck em

FX-GMC

I'm sorry, I thought I was on NeoGAF. I didn't know I was talking directly to racists, Palmer Luckey, or any other alt-righters.

KoopaTheCasual

Guys I just want to clear it up that I 100% do not condone this douche Luckey and anyone who remotely think or act in this matter promoting hate, bigotry, bullying, racism, etc. In fact I "hate" it just as much and seeing it everything bothers me too. I do support anti-hate initiatives in my own way and wish i could do more all the time. In no way was any of my comments meant to sound like I was condoning it of defending it.
I don't think anyone is suggesting you condone Luckey. I think it's actually a testament to how people want to respect your position by how much people are engaging with you in long-form posts. If people thought you were being regressive they would have engaged you like some of the other people several pages back.

Top Bottom