• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Co-Founder and Rift Creator Palmer Luckey Departs Facebook

L Thammy

The reason we live in a polarizing time is that you have a large group who wants to remove other groups from society. That's where the polarization comes from. Not calling people out in the Internet. You can't try to split society up and then act surprised that society is split up.

You can hide behind goodwill all you want, maybe you actually believe that will work, but you know exactly why society is polarized. Don't kid yourself and don't expect anyone else to go along with you.

He's the one who's many times richer than you and me. I am not sure if he's unlucky

C'mon pal, give me the pun. Also I'm not sure he got all his money from being lucky. I'm sure he worked really hard on all this.

But anyway, he can be as rich as he likes but he'll still be morally bankrupt.

APF

If someone who funds hate groups leaves an important gaming-related business or company, I don't think there's anything wrong or inappropriate in registering your applause. This is a discussion group but not everything needs to be Super Serial so long as it's on-topic. People are naturally going to have very sharp feelings on the matter and either those replies will die out or, lacking substantive conversation, the thread will naturally die out. Either is fine. What's IMO derailing and obnoxious are the brigades of folks coming in and having meta-discussion over the tone or structure of the replies vs providing their own opinions and discussion. This just grinds the thread to a halt as everyone now has some hot nonsense to argue about for page after page. Yelling "hivemind" doesn't contribute, even if you feel it's what you're seeing and experiencing. Have a real conversation or add something substantial to the thread, then it will be less of a hivemind and there will be less dumb conversations-about-conversation.

Dram

What's IMO derailing and obnoxious are the brigades of folks coming in and having meta-discussion over the tone or structure of the replies vs providing their own opinions and discussion. This just grinds the thread to a halt as everyone now has some hot nonsense to argue about for page after page.

Honestly it just feels like a tactic to use if you want to get a thread you don't like to be locked by the Mods.

Grewitch

The amount of vitriol and hatred in this thread is disturbing. All of you who have said, "good fuck him" are no better than the person you are all hating.

This is, another great example of how immature gamers are, neogaf as a community.

I'm surprised the mods have let this rampant barbarianism stand.

I don't care for Palmer, his views are different to mine, but I'm not childish enough to perpetuate the hate.

Really, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

People are just voicing their opinion about a racist, with passion and strong words, but for you to come in here and belittle them, that's childish. Some of us refuse to bow our heads and be meek. Ashamed? I'm proud of their courage to speak out, to use the words at their disposal. You should be ashamed for trying to put them down, given the context of the situation.

Like a whiny baby, now you're insulting the mods, as if they're incapable of performing their duties, because things don't conform to your ideals. You pompous self-important weakling, this isn't your Kingdom.

Your post was so disgusting because it showed the ugly thought process behind it and warranted my response. I respect your right to your opinion however strongly I disagree with it.

Always funny how people that don't understand why hate speech laws exist in many countries go on about how they disagree with the things some white supremacist shitstains say but are apparently content that they're allowed to voice them and then proceed to criticize people in an internet forum for voicing THEIR opinion that reads as follows:

Fuck

that

guy.

People are just voicing their opinion about a racist, with passion and strong words, but for you to come in here and belittle them, that's childish. Some of us refuse to bow our heads and be meek. Ashamed? I'm proud of their courage to speak out, to use the words at their disposal. You should be ashamed for trying to put them down, given the context of the situation.

Like a whiny baby, now you're insulting the mods, as if they're incapable of performing their duties, because things don't conform to your ideals. You pompous self-important weakling, this isn't your Kingdom.

Your post was so disgusting because it showed the ugly thought process behind it and warranted my response. I respect your right to your opinion however strongly I disagree with it.

Agreed. Here's a fun test for people who are dying to post how much "better" they are than the people expressing their disdain toward Luckey:

Which of the two elicits a stronger response from you?
1. A privileged wealthy man using his fortune to create and fund groups that advance a white supremacist agenda.
2. A collection of people on an internet forum saying "yeah fuck that guy for doing that".

If the answer is the second, congratulations! You're part of the problem.

What a terrible hate filled thread, disappointed Gaf have let this go on.

UswlBGP.gif

AgeEighty

The amount of vitriol and hatred in this thread is disturbing. All of you who have said, "good fuck him" are no better than the person you are all hating.

No. That's a ridiculous false equivalency.

Not all hatred is the same. Criticizing someone for their words and actions is logical. Hating them for who and what they are, as people like Palmer do, is not. The former is something you have control over; the latter isn't.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
No. That's a ridiculous false equivalency.

Not all hatred is the same. Criticizing someone for their words and actions is logical. Hating them for who and what they are, as people like Palmer do, is not. The former is something you have control over; the latter isn't.

If you hate hatred you're the real monster.

Thank you Lackey.

For dragging all the junior and burner accounts out of the shadows and into the light to fight hatred of hate speech.

Outside of that, you're shady as fuck. Not sad at your departure.

I don't have empathy for pieces of shit who have only been poison for the industry. Nor do I have the patience to keep having a discussion with the tone police.

Tankard

Oh, how did i miss this thread?

Took way too long, Oculus/Facebook.

Getting rid of a white supremacist will always be a good riddance.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm not apologizing or condoning anything just pointing out that hate fosters hate and there is a lot of irony in the hateful response. Not it isn't really productive at all to any meaningful conversation. Do you think these comments "fuck him", and "good riddance' is doing anything to fight racism and hateful people? Do you even think they see these comments and give a damn?

I mean where did get from any of my statements that I am defending anyone. Jesus people take a chill pill people. I get it the world sucks, there are evil people and all who are good must do everything we can to eradicate all evil, including posting "fuck you" on Gaf threads.

Pieces of putrid scum like Palmer are not interested on meaningful discussion.
"Fuck him" and "good riddance" is the exact responce you should give to white supremacist racist pieces of shit.

Poor white supremacist snowflakes, I guess they need to find a safe place ;_;

Really? There are tons of Anti-hate groups you can fund, public protest, charities that do good to back, volunteer work. You don't fight hate with more hate. I can't believe what I am reading here.

I'm going to take a loss here and back out of this thread. It's obviously going places and I don't think I want to be a part of it.

Hey bro, here's a little magic trick

you can do all the things you said.... and still tell Palmer to fuck off. Have you ever heard about multi-tasking?

Won't miss him in the slightest, but I guess I wish him luck in his future endeavors. Provided they are for the good of humanity and not for his own pleasure or party.

If not, then I have no words.

krazen

I mean, people don't really think criticizing a racist/bigot/POS should be viewed as a negative as well, do they?

They are right; its all about letting people have their opinions. Things like Jedi is the best star wars film, anchovies dont work on pizza, jews, blacks, hispanics are subhuman animals that need to be exterminated. All just opinion! Why get mad at someone for just their opinion.

ElRenoRaven

Good. Go fuck yourself Palmer.

That first post took the words right out of my mouth. He's trash and the fact that Oculus stood by him so long did nothing but hurt them rightfully so. People who say you can beat hatred and vileness by just being nice and turning the other cheek are so full of shit. You can't. People have tried and it doesn't work.

Gator86

They are right; its all about letting people have their opinions. Things like Jedi is the best star wars film, anchovies dont work on pizza, jews, blacks, hispanics are subhuman animals that need to be exterminated. All just opinion! Why get mad at someone for just their opinion.

This is clearly sarcasm but I had to read it like 5 times to make sure. 2017 is amazing/horrifying beyond belief.

You can disagree with someone's views and actions without telling them to go fuck themselves.

I'm of a brown skin tone (Filipino) and finding out Palmer's view's hurt since I know he was a big part of VR and my day job is in VR. Even still, I don't wish ill will upon him or anything of the sort. Doing so is just immature and childish. Period.
Sure. But what's the point in keeping a civil, respectful tone with racists and alt-right shitheads? You seem to argue that it's bad optics? To who? Why? Why does it matter?

I disagree that it's immature and childish. It's justified, rational anger and catharsis.
If you want to show restraint in your condemnation and shunning, go on ahead, but I also see no problem with people telling Luckey to go fuck himself. Ultimately it's the same message.

krazen

This is clearly sarcasm but I had to read it like 5 times to make sure. 2017 is amazing/horrifying beyond belief.

Yup. A few years ago for abhoren views you at least had to drop to a whisper tone or post about it on an obscure part of the internet (aka youtube, xbox live).

Now? Easily accepted racism under the guise of equal opportunity discourse. We've worked ourselves to the point where viewing fellow humans as beneath us is a societally accepted valid viewpoint.

Tagyhag

And I'm 42 this year and I know now not to do or say shit that i was saying when I was 25. The point is no matter your age you don't just stop learning when you get there. People change from year to year, decade to decade. You don't just stop maturing at age 25. Conversely some people don't ever change. That being said he did sound like a total douche. But he is gone from Oculus now and we can hopefully think that that is good for the future of Oculus and Vr. Let's move on. He is just another douche in a world full of them. Messed up thing is he is rich beyond imagination so mostly likely he don't give any f*&ks about any of this and won't learn anything.

Sure, and we have been talking about the future of Oculus.

For example, as a minority, I can't, with good conscience, support Oculus due to their unwavering defense for Palmer.

Even if they fixed their anti-consumer views for VR, I'll always see them as the company that defended white supremacism.

mlclmtckr

Banned
nycgamer4ever got dragged pretty hard in this thread and I'm not saying I entirely agree with him but I don't think it's a completely ridiculous idea to want to combat hate with love. You can call it Saturday morning cartoon shit but it's also the basis of (among other things) Baldwin's The Fire Next Time.

HStallion

nycgamer4ever got dragged pretty hard in this thread and I'm not saying I entirely agree with him but I don't think it's a completely ridiculous idea to want to combat hate with love. You can call it Saturday morning cartoon shit but it's also the basis of (among other things) Baldwin's The Fire Next Time.

You can love your enemy but you gotta be honest with yourself that hugging it out and trying to be nice isn't going to get you very far with people like the alt right. They'll shake your hand and spit in your face at the same time then dox you for it just because.

Seiru

Banned
Sure, and we have been talking about the future of Oculus.

For example, as a minority, I can't, with good conscience, support Oculus due to their unwavering defense for Palmer.

Even if they fixed their anti-consumer views for VR, I'll always see them as the company that defended white supremacism.

Didn't they just fire him though?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Comparing us to white supremacist activists is pretty hateful, tbh.
This is gold, seriously. According to some guys there isn't good or bad, it's all the same, so being a hateful racist is the same as being a kind and inclusive person. Fuck that noise.

Peltz

Anchovies are delicious you monster.

Tagyhag

Didn't they just fire him though?

We don't know if it was voluntary or not.

That said that doesn't excuse defending him when the controversy was at its highest point and

Palmer will be dearly missed.

I don't see how anyone could say that Oculus and Facebook are totally clean now and it's morally ok to buy an Rift.

Is Palmer Luckey really a racist tho guys? I mean, sure he funded a white supremacist reddit group and sure the fact that he's really comfortable having a super racist girlfriend is somewhat suspect too. I mean, there's also the fact that he's also chummy with human garbage like Milo, (and probably Cernovich) which is someone that no decent person would ever want to be associated with.

But listen all I'm saying is that we should give him every benefit of the doubt and we should also keep supporting him and the company that tried to sweep his garbage under the rug financially.

Also is the belief that people are less than human simply because of their skin color really all that bad though? I dunno guys, I just don't know. Clearly this is something we should debate for a long, long time, preferably until this horrible belief starts being normalized into a "political opinion."

Palmer really has that '80s Miami douchebag' look nailed down.

Screen-Shot-2017-03-30-at-11.06.20-AM-1000x546-n6ckhsz8sb7ivza2cliz4bgjx6ztajema5ehpl2xjo.png

Huh, it's not that often you get a two for one gif special.

larry_wilmore_milo_by_digi_matrix-dazgd13.gif

Anticol

Banned
Y'all serious?

"He has money, therefore your criticism doesn't matter."

Do you realize how sociopathic that sounds?

The only way people can defend assholes like Palmer or others is by saying two things:
- "have you heard of free speech?"
- "he is loaded he won't care what you think."

Like any of those excuses will make you inmune to criticism.

Wollan

The only way people can defend assholes like Palmer or others is by saying two things:
The most valid reasoning I've seen is that he's still very young which is true. He's only 24 years old at this point. Some stuff you only get with life experience. Everyone have made stupid decisions though there are clearly degrees that separates us.

That's good, but does little to really influence my opinion of either Facebook or Oculus to the point of wanting to support them financially. Him not being an employee doesn't really mean anything if he still owns any shares in the company. He doesn't need to be working there to financially benefit from their success. Also, Facebook already has a lot of business practices that I don't really respect at all, so this only fixes one of the issues I have.

HStallion

That's good, but does little to really influence my opinion of either Facebook or Oculus to the point of wanting to support them financially. Him not being an employee doesn't really mean anything if he still owns any shares in the company. He doesn't need to be working there to financially benefit from their success. Also, Facebook already has a lot of business practices that I don't really respect at all, so this only fixes one of the issues I have.

Zuckerberg is going to need someone to attract white folks to his presidential run. I smell a VP nomination for Luckey.

Like any of those excuses will make you inmune to criticism.

Palmer's money isn't impressive or laudable. There are a lot of rich people who inherited money or achieved it without needing to work that hard.

Palmer is different though, he actually earned his fortune by being a genius and being a titan for VR. I don't think Palmer cares about his money, I think he cares about his lasting legacy on VR more than anything, and that's what makes him not care about people criticizing him.

Top Bottom