• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

So.. I played Alf's escape this afternoon. I was really disappointed it didn't had extra trophies, but I was quite surprised that it was such meaty chapter. Took me around 1 and half hours to beat, and I was rushing. The puzzles were a lot more challenging as well, a shame puzzles like the one's in Alf's escape were absent in the main the game.

Having played the game completely, I have to say is a solid 9/10 for me. One of the best remakes out there, and I fully recommend it. A real shame must people will overlook it and never play it.

KeRaSh

So.. I played Alf's escape this afternoon. I was really disappointed it didn't had extra trophies, but I was quite surprised that it was such meaty chapter. Took me around 1 and half hours to beat, and I was rushing. The puzzles were a lot more challenging as well, a shame puzzles like the one's in Alf's escape were absent in the main the game.

Having played the game completely, I have to say is a solid 9/10 for me. One of the best remakes out there, and I fully recommend it. A real shame must people will overlook it and never play it.

Well it was a remake so the content for the main game was pretty much set in stone. :p
Hopefully the game sold well enough for them to make an Exodus remake AND a completely new game. *crosses fingers*

nofi

It's a tricky one. People didn't want us to change the original Oddysee puzzles too much, but we've had criticism lately for keeping them the same...

At least Alf allowed us to flex our muscles a little - I agree it's the best part of New 'n' Tasty, especially the new mechanics and puzzles.

Thanks, appreciated, glad you enjoyed it. Not sure what your last sentence means but we're doing okay!

Well it was a remake so the content for the main game was pretty much set in stone. :p
Hopefully the game sold well enough for them to make an Exodus remake AND a completely new game. *crosses fingers*

Erk, no, not yet! Hopefully once the other formats appear.

KeRaSh

Erk, no, not yet! Hopefully once the other formats appear.

48280-So-youre-saying-theres-a-chanc-fcWY.jpeg

As an Oddworld fan since the PS1 days, I've learned to be patient. :)

On a different note: it was pretty cool seeing your name in the credits after knowing you from TSA.

nofi

As an Oddworld fan since the PS1 days, I've learned to be patient. :)

On a different note: it was pretty cool seeing your name in the credits after knowing you from TSA.

Ha, thanks. It's been over a year now, and quite the challenge of late... :)

mattp

did any discussions over putting the old d-pad movement and controls in happen? i know when stewart was posting in here right after launch he said he'd bring it to the team after they finished patching out the initial bugs

i think that was really my only major issue with the game. digital movement just makes so much more sense for this game. i mean, the movement is digital anyway, so putting the 2 walking speeds on a stick with an arbitrary point where it switches from walk to run just makes controlling the game more of a pain than it needs to be

loved the game though. it's basically everything i had hoped it would be. but man...i really hope it sells enough to get exoddus remade because that's the game everyone really needs to play

nofi

did any discussions over putting the old d-pad movement and controls in happen? i know when stewart was posting in here right after launch he said he'd bring it to the team after they finished patching out the initial bugs

i think that was really my only major issue with the game. digital movement just makes so much more sense for this game. i mean, the movement is digital anyway, so putting the 2 walking speeds on a stick with an arbitrary point where it switches from walk to run just makes controlling the game more of a pain than it needs to be

loved the game though. it's basically everything i had hoped it would be. but man...i really hope it sells enough to get exoddus remade because that's the game everyone really needs to play

Without wanting to be too vague, I will say we're listening to feedback on the controls. Sorry I can't be more specific.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Does anyone find this game frequently just incredibly frustrating? I'm currently at the place where you have to jump over pits, avoiding the spiky pendulums, and some bats, and I just keep dying.

Sometimes I'll make it over one of the ravines but the bats will kill me in a single touch.

Does anyone find this game frequently just incredibly frustrating? I'm currently at the place where you have to jump over pits, avoiding the spiky pendulums, and some bats, and I just keep dying.

Sometimes I'll make it over one of the ravines but the bats will kill me in a single touch.

Use Quicksave. Always.

Forgot to mention you can kill the bats with stones. Is not necessary to advance though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Use Quicksave. Always.

I guess. I think the bats are just bad game design though. With controls this wooly it would be frustrating enough if you only had to avoid the swinging rocks, let alone bats that can kill you in 1-5 hits (assigned, apparently, by RNG).

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Throw your rocks at the bats to kill them. Makes that much easier.

ZeroX03

Banned
Praise the Mudokon Gods! They're bringing out an "Old School Controls" patch for those who want the old style back.

X To Hop

First up is the option to have the X button hop sideways, rather than straight up. We dedicated a fair amount of time to the jumping system in New ‘n’ Tasty but appreciate that old school fans would rather Abe hopped laterally a little easier.

If you toggle “X To Hop” on in the settings, this is exactly what will happen. If you’re running, X will leap as expected. And regardless of the setting, Up on the analog stick will still hoist as normal.

L2 To Run

The other much-requested feature is to have Abe run only when another button is pushed. In this case, if players toggle “L2 To Run” on in the settings, Abe will only walk with the analog stick, and will then only run when L2 is held in addition to the analog stick being moved.

This will mean that when walking, Abe will only be able to hop short distances. You’ll need to be running (as is the case now) to leap to higher ledges and make bigger gaps.

No d-pad + analog stick swap unfortunately, but otherwise good! Still have to do my speedrun, I'll probably throw on X To Hop for that.

mattp

this is awesome news!

although, not letting us use the d-pad is a weird decision?
oh well, i'll take it. the important part is making run a button

nofi

this is awesome news!

although, not letting us use the d-pad is a weird decision?
oh well, i'll take it. the important part is making run a button

It'll play similarly enough, and it was crucial we didn't shift too much resources away from the other versions to get these options done.

Hoping it'll help with some of the issues we've seen re: controls. :)

mattp

It'll play similarly enough, and it was crucial we didn't shift too much resources away from the other versions to get these options done.

Hoping it'll help with some of the issues we've seen re: controls. :)

yup, didnt mean to sound negative. you guys did such an awesome job and are continuing to by patching in stuff a bunch of whiners on a messageboard asked for

get those other versions finished so you can make enough money to start on exoddus!

Gangxxter

Great news about the old-school controls, very well done JAW!

Isn't GameSpeak mapped to the D-pad? Wouldn't make sense to switch movement controls with GameSpeak so you move with the D-pad and speak with the stick. Would be weird I guess.

EDIT: And yeah, need PC release date ASAP ;)

After playing through Diablo and First Light I decided to come back to New 'n' Tasty today and run through Alf's Escape.

Having completed it no more than half an hour ago, I'd say it was a really nice addition (particularly as I got it for free).

Sadly I didn't know about the new control options at the time, which would have made it even more enjoyable.

Fingers crossed Exodus is on the way, or better yet a brand new title.

Just noticed this game is on sale on UK PSN until 09.10.14 for £12.99 or £11.69 with PS+... GoldenHelmet or nofi, if you're reading, do you have any idea when the Vita version might be ready? Even if it's a general clue, like "should be in 2014", "should be before next April", etc. Also, the PS4 version is cross-buy, isn't it? It doesn't mention that on the webstore.

EDIT - Tweeted Stewart Gilray asking after the Vita version and he replied with:

@Triggerhappytel I can't really speak about Oddworld stuff anymore, as I'm not involved directly anymore. re: CrossBuy, yes it is.

Tizoc

Just noticed this game is on sale on UK PSN until 09.10.14 for £12.99 or £11.69 with PS+... GoldenHelmet or nofi, if you're reading, do you have any idea when the Vita version might be ready? Even if it's a general clue, like "should be in 2014", "should be before next April", etc. Also, the PS4 version is cross-buy, isn't it? It doesn't mention that on the webstore.

Why not just make a thread for that?

nofi

EDIT - Tweeted Stewart Gilray asking after the Vita version and he replied with:

@Triggerhappytel I can't really speak about Oddworld stuff anymore, as I'm not involved directly anymore. re: CrossBuy, yes it is.

Vita? Still being worked on, is the truth, alongside the other unreleased versions. We don't want to give a date for each platform until the game's as good as it can be. Vague, sorry, but we genuinely don't know yet.

If I say a date and it doesn't hit that date, or it's rushed to meet it, we lose. It's obviously in our interests to get them out though, there's nothing holding back the other versions other than the fact that they're not ready.

I can say that all the improvements, fixes and so on the PS4 version has seen haven't impacted the other versions nearly as much as you might think, and the improvements are being carried over to the other versions too of course.

That probably doesn't help, but it's where we are.

leng jai

So did the patch actually fix most of the issues with this game? Tempted by the sale, but reading through this thread doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Grabbing this from the Euro sale.

So did the patch actually fix most of the issues with this game? Tempted by the sale, but reading through this thread doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

What issues? Don't have time to read through the thread atm, looks like they released 6 patches already, can't see much bugs left?

nofi

We fixed the launch issues, added new controls, tidied up lots of areas, smoothed out some sticking points and we're now much happier with the game.

Anything in particular just ask and I'll double check. If you're at EGX come see us and we'll walk you through it.

red731

Bought it yesterday, because digital "deals" after waiting too long to jump back into Oddworld.

I finished Oddysee and Exoddus back as a kid, so I was coming into this to be amazed. And I am.

Heh, I didn't knew this ran on Unity - damn great job from everyone JAW! Wow!
I am with my trusty "steed" now - whistling, farting, laughing and my steed humming and eating - I would not resist a little bit of that golden treasure too if I wasn't in a hurry :)

I can't wait to lay down again today and continue on my journey.

Thanks JAW, you made my jaw drop. Love it!

ed: I've encountered one bug in my "steed" secion after quick loading one part - needed to restart checkpoint.
When you rope up on the platform and Elum goes to eat honey to the left, while you go to the right to disable mine - if mine explodes and you reload(I saved before mine), then Elum is stuck walking to the left to wood "fence" and you can't do anything with him - restart checkpoint, lo and behold :)

Kakulin

Banned
Is there a specific reason as to why the updates for this game (ps4 version) are near 3 GB in size each? That is unnaceptable and a hindrance to those with download caps.

I picked this up over the weekend with it being on sale, plus the Playstation Experience $10 credit I received had me immediately knowing I was going to pick this game.

I only ever played the original demo on the Playstation Underground disc many many moons ago. I never did buy the original. Should I play through New n' Tasty on Normal or just jump straight to Hard? I wouldn't mind playing it the same as when it came out, but is Hard really really difficult?

I picked this up over the weekend with it being on sale, plus the Playstation Experience $10 credit I received had me immediately knowing I was going to pick this game.

I only ever played the original demo on the Playstation Underground disc many many moons ago. I never did buy the original. Should I play through New n' Tasty on Normal or just jump straight to Hard? I wouldn't mind playing it the same as when it came out, but is Hard really really difficult?

i would suggest going straight to hard. there are a wealth of checkpoints and a quick save option that removes a lot of difficulty and frustration (at times) of the original game. insta-deaths are really not an issue when you can just load your quick save or there's a close checkpoint.

i played the original games extensively, so my opinion may be skewed by that, but i feel like anything other than hard has to be way too easy, and thus less enjoyable

i would suggest going straight to hard. there are a wealth of checkpoints and a quick save option that removes a lot of difficulty and frustration (at times) of the original game. insta-deaths are really not an issue when you can just load your quick save or there's a close checkpoint.

i played the original games extensively, so my opinion may be skewed by that, but i feel like anything other than hard has to be way too easy, and thus less enjoyable
I was thinking Hard was going to be the way to go.

Does this game have a HUD displayed at all times? I am trying to remember, and though I am fuzzy, I don't remember there being a HUD in the original.

derExperte

http://www.oddworld.com/2015/01/oddworld-new-n-tasty-release-dates-steam-ps3-xbox-one/

Oddworld fans will be delighted to learn that Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty will be releasing for Windows, Mac and Linux on Steam (with other storefronts TBA) on February 25th, 2015, while the Xbox One and PlayStation 3 versions are planned for release shortly after, in early March 2015.

All versions will take advantage of the post-launch improvements and tweaks made to the PlayStation 4 version (including the fan-requested ‘old school’ control settings), feature the same celebrated QuikSave and QuikLoad functions and of course offer a full rack of achievements and online leaderboards for speedrunners, and cloud saves on Steam.

Also it's on sale right now on PSN EU for 10,99€/9,89€, almost bought it yesterday but now I'll wait for the Steam release. Finally!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Work continues on the Wii U and PlayStation Vita versions. Converting our bespoke code, physics, highly detailed art assets and complex audio engines for the two formats from the PlayStation 4 and PC base continues to present engineering challenges relating to performance and memory, but recent progress is encouraging as we strive to make every iteration of New 'n' Tasty the perfect fit for the platform.

So Wii u version not officially canceled. Yet. Well, I'll take the Steam version.

Robot Pants

Updated the OP with the new February 25th release dates for PC, Linux, and Mac.
Also, did away with my own personal formatting preferences and changed the OT so it works in Mobile now without looking like a complete mess!

So just wondering, Now that the dust has settled completely with the ps4 version, was this enough of a success on ps4 that we will get a remake of the best oddworld game? oddworld abe's exoddus?

or is this still undecided until it is seen how well it performs on other platforms?

mattp

So just wondering, Now that the dust has settled completely with the ps4 version, was this enough of a success on ps4 that we will get a remake of the best oddworld game? oddworld abe's exoddus?

or is this still undecided until it is seen how well it performs on other platforms?

i have a feeling it's still undecided :(
which is an unbelievably HUGE bummer

Gangxxter

I'm two hours in now and let me tell you, this game is AMAZING! I played Oddysee on PS1 when I was a kid and I loved it back then (although it was way too hard for me to beat, but I've finally beaten it about two years ago).

New 'n' Tasty is really a treat for fans. The graphics are gorgeous, the animations are top notch and the controls are as precise as they have been in the original. Overall the quality of this game is extremely high, if I didn't know better, I'd think this is a AAA game with a enormous budget behind. No bugs so far, the only thing that I don't like is the audio mixing. Something is not right about that, but it's not too bad.

So, Oddworld fans who haven't played this yet, get it now and play it! It's so much fun. And if you're not familiar with Oddworld yet, give it a try, I think this is the best game in the series for new players to start with.

JAW, you have done an amazing job, very well done, congratulations! Now I'm eagerly waiting for Munch HD on PC ;) It's so sad that the original Munch version is unplayable and broken on Steam...

Top Bottom