• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

VLiberty

Checking this thread every 2 days in hope of news regarding the Wii U version.

You're new to Oddworld games, right?

Vita owners are still waiting for Munch's Oddyssee(announced in mid 2011 and due to release within Feb 2013) while I think you guys are still waiting for Stranger's Wrath(announced more than a year ago)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You're new to Oddworld games, right?

Vita owners are still waiting for Munch's Oddyssee(announced in mid 2011 and due to release within Feb 2013) while I think you guys are still waiting for Stranger's Wrath(announced more than a year ago)

I wouldn't say I'm new, as I played the original Abe's Oddysee, but I admit I didn't follow them closely in the past years, but I came back since they announced this. I had the impression that Stranger's Wrath HD for Wii U was cancelled or something.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah New 'N' Tasty kind of shoved all the other Oddworld games out of focus. Hopefully as NNT is made in Unity there should be a lot less trouble / wait time in porting it to other platforms.

I think Munch Vita was outsourced too and/or some QA problems.

Danlord

Finally completed the game, on Hard of course. Missed some Mudokons I know exactly where but I couldn't go back when I realised; I was furious with myself.

Brilliant remake of an amazing title, and I can't wait for Exoddus: Cool n' Refreshing, because that's the name I want it to be. Surely this has made 250k at least. (Not the official name, but suggested by the poster linked and it fits perfectly so now I don't see another suitable name other than that so it MUST be that name)

I encountered a weird "bug" after installing 1.05, I kept getting repeats of the same trophy. I would earn a trophy and it would pop up at least 3 times. It has registered on my Trophy List, just displayed multiple times.

This run took just over 7 hours. I did accidentally leave it unpaused whilst I was out, so that slightly inflated the overall time, and I spent an unnecessary amount of time at the end with
the slogs where I had to kill them all coming out of multiple kennels.
. I was pretty good in remembering the original so hence why I did it so quickly, I do see how newcomers to the game can and will take longer, which is good.
I await Alf's DLC when it's released next Wednesday for us UK peeps, looking forward to more from JAW.

Also, why does the patch notes just say Bug fixes and stability, and not the actual list of fixes we see on the Oddworld blog? I like seeing the release notes of updates, re-assures me there's a lot of effort gone into fixing given the as well as noted improvements, even though I followed updates quite closely with this game.

nofi

Also, why does the patch notes just say Bug fixes and stability, and not the actual list of fixes we see on the Oddworld blog? I like seeing the release notes of updates, re-assures me there's a lot of effort gone into fixing given the as well as noted improvements, even though I followed updates quite closely with this game.

The patch notes will be completed from 1.05 onwards, an oversight at the point of building each patch. We've been adding them to the site as an interim but yeah, I like to see them too.

Will pass on the comments re: multiple trophies. There's a couple of issues with 1.05 we need to figure out on Monday. Thanks.

Robot Pants

Curious about this new audio mix. I felt that in the old version, sound effects that were coming from the background like Slig gunfire just got completely drowned out.
Also ALFS ESCAPE!

icespide

Banned
Dumb question, but you've played enough of it to have Chapter Select open? Have you checked the Extras menu too?

yep I've played through the game twice. don't see anything new on chapter select. nothing in the extras menu. scrub Abe shows up

Picked this up last night and I'm so glad. Abe's Odyssey was the very first PlayStation game I ever played and I have so many fond memories of it. I debated waiting until it came out on PC or Xbox, but to me, this is a PlayStation franchise so I got it on PS4.

Initial thoughts:

- Graphics look great.

- I think the original voice actors were better for the Mudoken's and Abe. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking though.

- I'm not so sure about the camera moving along the levels as you do. I've had a few cases where I've been able to exploit the AI since I can move things off screen ever so slightly, whereas in the original I wouldn't be able to fine tune the camera position like that.

- Controls don't feel as tight as many games do nowadays, however I can live with that.

- Was "All of ya!" in the original game? I don't remember that. Regardless, it's super helpful.

Overall, not too shabby of a remake so far. :)

nofi

under "related items" it says that alfs escape is installed. I can't actually find it in the store

I think there might be issues with the pre-order downloading the DLC incorrectly from when the game launched. It's definitely there on the Store and is probably worth you trying again.

Try this:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...sion/cid=UP4134-CUSA00329_00-ALFESCAPEPS40001

- Controls don't feel as tight as many games do nowadays, however I can live with that.

Some controls notes here - http://www.oddworld.com/2014/07/learn-some-of-new-n-tastys-advanced-techniques/ - they may help.

- Was "All of ya!" in the original game? I don't remember that. Regardless, it's super helpful.

All o' ya!'s from Exoddus, brought over along with quicksave! :)

icespide

Banned
I think there might be issues with the pre-order downloading the DLC incorrectly from when the game launched. It's definitely there on the Store and is probably worth you trying again.

Try this:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...sion/cid=UP4134-CUSA00329_00-ALFESCAPEPS40001

Some controls notes here - http://www.oddworld.com/2014/07/learn-some-of-new-n-tastys-advanced-techniques/ - they may help.

All o' ya!'s from Exoddus, brought over along with quicksave! :)

hmm so from the webstore it tells me to choose a version and then I get this:

elrGPku.png

no matter what I choose to download to my PS4, nothing seems to happen

and then on my download queue I get this:

nofi

i have the exact same problem. updates are installed. says alf's escape is installed. says it's playable in download queue. i don't see it anywhere in extras or chapter select

Did you pre-order?

I think there's an issue with pre-orders and the way it tried to download Alf when the game launched. Trying to see if there's a solution just now, but it's midnight here.

icespide

Banned
Did you pre-order?

I think there's an issue with pre-orders and the way it tried to download Alf when the game launched. Trying to see if there's a solution just now, but it's midnight here.

don't sweat it, if its super late there you can just figure it out tomorrow at a decent hour. I really appreciate your help

Did you pre-order?

Yes, i preordered and queued the game, alfs, and the scrub outfit a few days prior to release. It was preloaded

Don't stay up or out at the office on my account though. No worries

nofi

Yes, i preordered and queued the game, alfs, and the scrub outfit a few days prior to release. It was preloaded

Don't stay up or out at the office on my account though. No worries

Yeah, have established there's an issue with an incorrect 'Alf' DLC in there for pre-order folk that's confusing things. Trying to sort but likely tomorrow now, sorry. :(

Yeah, have established there's an issue with an incorrect 'Alf' DLC in there for pre-order folk that's confusing things. Trying to sort but likely tomorrow now, sorry. :(

i appreciate it

EDIT: This worked

GreyOcelot said:
nofi said:
Just checking - have you tried to restore licenses?

Settings>PSN>Restore Licenses.

Worth a shot.

~a

whoaaa...that worked! i got the notification through the game when i loaded my save and it's now in the chapter select

thejpfin

I started Alf dlc yesterday. First 10 mins are fun, but then bugs started happening, at least for me.
Like:
ieX04Zo.gif

It just loops over and over again. Need to restart the chapter, again. There was some other game breaking bug too before that, but I didn't remember to capture that.

nofi

I started Alf dlc yesterday. First 10 mins are fun, but then bugs started happening, at least for me.
Like:
ieX04Zo.gif

It just loops over and over again. Need to restart the chapter, again. There was some other game breaking bug too before that, but I didn't remember to capture that.

Looks like you killed Alf then ran into a checkpoint, so each time the checkpoint respawns you Alf carries onto into whatever killed him - does that sound correct? Do you have a QuikSave from further back?

...please take your time with Exoddus.

I'll pass on your comments.

thejpfin

Looks like you killed Alf then ran into a checkpoint, so each time the checkpoint respawns you Alf carries onto into whatever killed him - does that sound correct? Do you have a QuikSave from further back?

Yep. I thought maybe slig wont kill him if you run like mad, but nope :p
I have a quicksave, but can't use it, because buttons don't work in that "loop checkpoint respawn mode". Can't go to menu and load quicksave.

mattp

dammit i only have 69 mudokons saved in
rupture farms. where is the last one i'm missing? i got the 1 guy who's hiding out over the door when you can go to zulog 2 but not actually enter it

nofi

dammit i only have 69 mudokons saved in
rupture farms. where is the last one i'm missing? i got the 1 guy who's hiding out over the door when you can go to zulog 2 but not actually enter it

Did you get
the guy in the smoke in the furnace section
?

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I was watching my little brother play the game and he got the Shrykull power up, the lighting effect was hurting my eyes.

Not sure why they changed it from a blue ring to that.

Got through 18 minutes of Alf before my game crashed. Not even bothering to turn it on and see if it kept my quicksave or checkpoint.

Maybe I'll try it when it works, when will that be?

Does anyone know how long the DLC is? Is it just those three doors?

ZeroX03

Banned
Finally sat down and finished the game. Had a few glitches but otherwise a pretty great experience.

• Possesed a Slig. Shot a gun, and tried to depossess at the same time and it froze him shooting nothing in mid air. Had to load a Quiksave.
  • Went to the PS home screen in Zulag 4. Trying to renter the game and it froze up the whole PS4.
  • Framerate was a little iffy, but overall it's fine. Wouldn't want to play at 30fps though.
  • The puzzles were mostly as I remember, but the timing on some of the meat cleavers on hard is ridiculous. Nothing else is too unfair or easy.
  • Took 6hrs30min on Hard with 100% Mudokons.
  • No trophy issues, still got a few to go. Gonna platinum it of course.

PS. Nori, I saw Matt Glanville listed in the credits as the Game Designer. If you can, could you pass on to him that I absolutely loved the Legion Saga games he made when I was younger? Played the heck out of them. Love to see him doing great things.

Karsha

Are the mudokons hard to get in this one? I remember in the sequel some of them were pretty well hidden and hard to take to the portal

protonion

Got through 18 minutes of Alf before my game crashed. Not even bothering to turn it on and see if it kept my quicksave or checkpoint.

Maybe I'll try it when it works, when will that be?

Does anyone know how long the DLC is? Is it just those three doors?

It took me 1 hour. No, it has more than those doors.

It's a good dlc! I had fun and the last part was a nice surprise.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Are the mudokons hard to get in this one? I remember in the sequel some of them were pretty well hidden and hard to take to the portal

Yeah, several hidden rooms are very well hidden and also some Mudokons (in the darkness etc)

ZeroX03

Banned
QuikLoad doesn't work on Vita... Really hurts remote play functionality, if I wanted the game this hard I would've loaded up the PS1 original!

my heart skipped when i read...

QuikLoad doesn't work on Vita...

...thought maybe the vita version had been released and i wasn't paying attention!

i will definitely platinum this game, but i'm waiting for the vita version to replay and get the other trophies i need

KeRaSh

Finally finished up the last few chapters. Hard mode with all Mudokons saved: Done!
For some reason it only registered 293 saved Mudokons on my final score... Well, at least the trophy popped up. That's what counts.

Encountered a few glitches but nothing game breaking.
One Slig got stuck in the air when I triggered an alarm that dropped him from the sky. When I posessed him weird brown squares appeared around his head and I was stuck posessing him.
One Glitch actually made my life easier. There's a room with an alarm that triggers two floating mines that hover around a platform with a bird portal beneath it.
By quickloading and instantly jumping through the alarm sensor a few times the mines sometimes didn't start moving.
A tutorial video showed a posessed Slig blowing both mines up by walking into them but after 50 tries the Slig would still only blow up one of the mines which I think is also a bug because there is no way to save the Mudokons with one mine still floating around and I had no way to remove the remaining mine.

Alf's Escape was a nice little bonus. It felt good not having to worry about finding every little secret and just focus on solving the puzzles without spoiling everything by looking at a secret Mudokon location guide.

Top Bottom