• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ODDWORLD: NEW 'N' TASTY |OT| Save 99 Mudokons as The Stitch-Lipped One. Follow me!

Danlord

Patch 1.02 is live guys (60MB).

Official Page

• Crash on completion of game
    Some users experienced a crash at the very end of the game. This has now been fixed in 1.02. We have also fixed a bug where the game might crash at the end once all 299 Mudokons had been saved.
  • Save profiles blended together, preventing separate profiles from having their own progress
    This has now been fixed in 1.02 and save profiles will work as expected.
  • Leaderboard fixes
  • In 1.01 the leaderboards only showed the top eight times. This has been fixed in 1.02, along with a fix that prevented some users from posting a fully complete (299 Mudokons) save.
  • Zulag 1 cargo lift crash
    In 1.01, users that had Mudokons following Abe onto the main cargo lift towards the end of Zulag 1 would find their PS4 would crash. This has now been fixed in 1.02.
  • Scrabs fighting crash
    In 1.01, instances where two Scrabs would fight each other could cause the PS4 to crash. This has been fixed in 1.02.
  • Repeated QuikSaves in Scrabania Temple Trial 3 could cause the PS4 to crash
    This has been fixed in 1.02.
  • An issue with QuikSaving with Sligs in a certain state of alertness could cause the PS4 to crash

Not had chance to test anything myself but the list is good and Update 1.03 may arrive next week to fix some minor bugs.

NOTE:

As a temporary workaround for the end game crashes (until we push 1.03 live) the game will run fine if the player doesn’t QuikSave while a Slig is possessed during Abe’s return to RuptureFarms.

A pretty good effort here by JAW and I should be able to test it tomorrow, I'm in the UK and I have the 1.02 patch but I know some GAF'ers here were experiencing issues that are mentioned in 1.02 and some were delaying the purchase until this patch.

If I could change one aspect of the game (having beaten it twice) it would be the button commands for doing a single standing jump, left or right. It is in no way accurate and makes some platforming sections unnecessarily difficult.

I'd love to see an R1 "stand" option introduced. Hold R1, then decide which way you want to jump. It wouldn't require specific timing.

JoeFenix

Glad to see them patch out a bunch of the crash bugs, will have to see if my save file works now.

Hopefully they can keep polishing the game, framerate needs major work in some areas.

Oh and PLEASE include a classic control scheme option, can't believe they force you to use the analog stick!

Gurish

Finished the game and got the good ending. It was glorious, Really hope they are starting working on the sequel, they better be!

Glad to see patches, one step closer to purchasing this now. Im just waiting for a framerate fix as a lot of people have said it can get really bad and there is no 30fps lock option

Tohsaka

Glad to see patches, one step closer to purchasing this now. Im just waiting for a framerate fix as a lot of people have said it can get really bad and there is no 30fps lock option

The framerate was generally solid in my experience, except for noticeable dips during the cutscenes.

mattp

Oh and PLEASE include a classic control scheme option, can't believe they force you to use the analog stick!

stewart said he was talking to the team about it
but they had to do all these bug fixes, first. so maybe we'll hear something soon

ACIDTITAN

Banned
Do you think the Oddworld series would have done better on PlayStation2 than moving to Xbox in 2001.

Seemed like it was a hit PlayStation IP
That would have sold 3x more copies if it didn't move to Xbox why just playing new and tasty thinking I'm sure this franchise would be something if they stayed on PlayStation with promotion.

Seemed like a dumb idea to make the 3rd game on a diff platform cutting Ur original fan base.

Sony should have just brought them up
Having the 3rd oddworld title on ps2 in its launch window would have been more sucsessful.

IN&OUT

Banned
Do you think the Oddworld series would have done better on PlayStation2 than moving to Xbox in 2001.

That would have sold 3x more copies if it didn't move to Xbox why just playing new and tasty thinking I'm sure this franchise would be something if they stayed on PlayStation with promotion.

of course, moving to Xbox was the worst move in video game history.

ZeroX03

Banned
Munch's Oddysee was originally developed for PS2. Microsoft Game Studios ended up publishing it for Xbox though, so I'm guessing it was a money thing that kept Munch on Xbox. Then there was the GBA version though...

But yes, the series could've have been much more successful on PS2. The first two games are synonymous with PlayStation despite PC and GB releases.

Seemed like a dumb idea to make the 3rd game on a diff platform cutting Ur original fan base.

Sony should have just brought them up
Having the 3rd oddworld title on ps2 in its launch window would have been more sucsessful.

it was a terrible mistake that bit them hard

glad jaw learned their lesson

Yasawas

Repeated QuikSaves in Scrabania Temple Trial 3 could cause the PS4 to crash

Yay! This was the problem I had last week which lost me 45 minutes progress. The good news is it's fixed, the bad news is I got a new bug on the very next screen where I started Abe chanting to open the door and he stuck in that and nothing would get him out of it.

This game is a mess. It's an adorable puppy that keeps pissing on the carpet.

Danlord

Yay! This was the problem I had last week which lost me 45 minutes progress. The good news is it's fixed, the bad news is I got a new bug on the very next screen where I started Abe chanting to open the door and he stuck in that and nothing would get him out of it.

This game is a mess. It's an adorable puppy that keeps pissing on the carpet.

The infinite chanting is mentioned as a being g fixed for 1.03 ;-)

Yasawas

Heh! Seriously though, I hope I can at least get through to the end now with minimal technical frustrations. It seems like the kind of thing I'd like to come back trophy huntin' to once they iron out the problems shrink it down to a Vita-size.

Shin-Ra

I did a few other doors and came back to the one with the Sligs, Slogs and infinite chanting and eventually it didn't happen.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I really wish you could check the percentage of mudokons you've rescued in a chapter while you're actually playing it. Also a chapter should list the exact number of mudokons there are, not just the percentage. It's pretty frustrating.

Anyone else getting situations where scrabs don't fight? They just freeze next to one another. On the one hand it's nice since I can run around without getting chased, on the other hand I feel like I've cheated even though it wasn't intentional.

Wasp

I really wish you could check the percentage of mudokons you've rescued in a chapter while you're actually playing it. Also a chapter should list the exact number of mudokons there are, not just the percentage. It's pretty frustrating.
Yeah, I agree with this.

Also, just like in the original, the secret areas are far too deviously well hidden. They're almost impossible to find without using a guide.

I wish this game had a Super Metroid style map so you could work out where the secret rooms are by looking at a map. I know you do find a map in game very infrequently but the map makes no sense to me.

A new game plus mode would be awesome too, so once you have rescued a mudokon they stay rescued forever.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yeah, I agree with this.

Also, just like in the original, the secret areas are far too deviously well hidden. They're almost impossible to find without using a guide.

I wish this game had a Super Metroid style map so you could work out where the secret rooms are by looking at a map. I know you do find a map in game very infrequently but the map makes no sense to me.

A new game plus mode would be awesome too, so once you have rescued a mudokon they stay rescued forever.
Even something as simple as putting a little hint in the scenery that a secret is nearby ala the bottles in Exoddus would have done wonders.

lord pie

So I've just got to Scrabania, and experienced my 3rd game breaking bug forcing a chapter reset. There is a bird stuck hovering above me as I run around, and as soon as I chant the chanting gets stuck. I presume it's waiting for the bird to be collected.

To be blunt, this is buggiest game I've played in years.

So I've just got to Scrabania, and experienced my 3rd game breaking bug forcing a chapter reset.

Even after the updates is this game really that broken?. I'm glad i waited but i feel sorry for people that are paying full price for such a broken game, even if it is beautiful.
Do people think all the bugs will be fixed before
Other console launches?

Yasawas

Probably. They can't have not known it was as shonky as this but why not release on a format where people are crying out for games and will buy it before waiting for impressions while they fix it.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Finally got this today. I just moved into my new house so I still have no net. Had to take my PS4 to my parents and use their net to download it.

Looking forward to playing it tonight.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Do we have any idea when this will be out for VIta? So tempting!
I was really upset that the Vita version wasn't coming out for while. But you know what? I've been playing this game a lot on remote play and it plays great. I don't even need a Vita version when remote play exists. Granted it means I can only play it in the house, but that's where I play Vita most anyway.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I just beat the game and rescued every mudokon. Got the trophy and everything. But somehow my total is 276 and not 299. What? Also the trophy for finding all secret entrances never came up. What am I missing? It says I have 100% on all chapters with mudokons.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Has to be one of them just seemed like they threw away everything and started a
spin off/Reboot series on Xbox.

Not even being botherd about there current fan base.

Munch's Oddysee isn't a reboot or a spin-off, it's actually a continuation in the story.

Munch's Oddysee was originally developed for PS2. Microsoft Game Studios ended up publishing it for Xbox though, so I'm guessing it was a money thing that kept Munch on Xbox. Then there was the GBA version though...

But yes, the series could've have been much more successful on PS2. The first two games are synonymous with PlayStation despite PC and GB releases.

Well to be fair part of the reason why it jumped ship from the PS2 to the Xbox was because they found it difficult to develop games for the PS2.

bumpkin

Did they fix Elum falling through elevators and forcing you to restart the chapter?
This happened to me last night so I'm guessing not. :(

And it sucks because I am awful at the run and jump sections. I was so relieved when I finally got past it, and then I had the Elum fall through an elevator and was faced with a jump I can't make without it.

Thorgi

Is there a problem with my PS4? Oddworld never seems to be running as smoothly as 60 FPS for me. Don't know why that is, or how I can fix it.

pswii60

Just finally bought it and...

First impressions are real bad. What the fuck is up with the framerate? It's all over the place, constant stuttering. They were fucking lying when they said it is 60fps. It should have been locked to 30fps because I'm finding the unlocked framerate bordering on unplayable right now. Sure it's not just me...?

Thorgi

First impressions are real bad. What the fuck is up with the framerate? It's all over the place, constant stuttering. They were fucking lying when they said it is 60fps. It should have been locked to 30fps because I'm finding the unlocked framerate bordering on unplayable right now. Sure it's not just me...?

Not just you; same thing is happening to me. Though I'm still not sure whether my PS4 is busted or not.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
In the off chance it sways opinion over at JAW (who make a tremendous effort engaging with us - thank you!): I will buy this game the moment a 30fps cap is added, funds are in my wallet and ready to go.

I did notice framerate drops, but bordering unplayable? Not even close.

nofi

So I've just got to Scrabania, and experienced my 3rd game breaking bug forcing a chapter reset. There is a bird stuck hovering above me as I run around, and as soon as I chant the chanting gets stuck. I presume it's waiting for the bird to be collected.

Hi all. Been working with Oddworld for over a year, so checking in with some updates.

Bird chanting bug took us by surprise, but it's now fixed - or at least is fixed in 1.03 which should be out early this week, hopefully Wednesday latest.

It's variable, for sure. We tried our very best to get it running at locked 60 but it simply wasn't possible in the end, even with some dramatic 11th hour improvements. Let me check about a 30fps lock - the intention was there earlier but it wasn't trivial given our optimisations.

This happened to me last night so I'm guessing not. :(

And it sucks because I am awful at the run and jump sections. I was so relieved when I finally got past it, and then I had the Elum fall through an elevator and was faced with a jump I can't make without it.

Again fixed in 1.03.

1.03 also fixes an issue with one of the trophies (No Place Like Home), a weird issue where Abe would move around on pressing Square, and a series of fixes to the end part of the game that could crash the PS4 under certain QuikSave situations.

If I could change one aspect of the game (having beaten it twice) it would be the button commands for doing a single standing jump, left or right. It is in no way accurate and makes some platforming sections unnecessarily difficult.

I'd love to see an R1 "stand" option introduced. Hold R1, then decide which way you want to jump. It wouldn't require specific timing.

Yeah, something we've heard a lot. We were talking last week about at least a few tweaks, but I can't promise anything just yet. FWIW, I tend to press X and then left/right, there's a few frames of a window before Abe jumps upwards. Holding L1 helps too - L1's great for stopping quickly and being more precise.

ScribbleD

Left off after finishing the Scrab temple a few days ago. I just booted it up to go into Paramonia and as soon as I try to load the save file I get booted the PS4 error screen with a ce-34878-0 error code. =/

After finishing with the bad ending, lulz.

I replayed Zulag 1. Worked thorough all the secret rooms and started Zulag 2. Assumed the game would have saved between levels. It didn't. Lost all my progress in Zulag 1. If the chapter select screen is to be believed : (

Friend of mine had a similar issue in Paramonia Temple.

This was after installing the last update too : /

Otherwise I am loving the game even with it's quirks. I sorely miss the old control scheme though.

Mendrox

I am sad about the new controls. :( I really loved the precise jumping and running back then. Game is still great, but with the new jumping controls hard as fuck. Please tweak it!

Gurish

Just wanted to say that not all of us are experiencing problems, I had a pretty much flawless experience besides one crash, just so people who reads this thread wont think that the game is broken because some complains, I'm sure the majority of people are having a smooth experience, they just don't have any need to specify it (it's suppose to be this way after all) :)

It's not 'framerate drops' it's constant stuttering. The framerate is constantly all over the place and it doesn't feel smooth at all, really juddery. Not sure if there's something weird going on here because I don't know how anyone could find it acceptable.

nofi

It's not 'framerate drops' it's constant stuttering. The framerate is constantly all over the place and it doesn't feel smooth at all, really juddery. Not sure if there's something weird going on here because I don't know how anyone could find it acceptable.

We're not really seeing that - at least not across the whole game. Perhaps it's because it's not locked down to 60 or 30, but the guys tried hard to ensure that each area (at least) if not each level remained reasonably steady, although some (like Free Fire Zone) are more 30 than 60.

Is it any particular area or level?

After finishing with the bad ending, lulz.

I replayed Zulag 1. Worked thorough all the secret rooms and started Zulag 2. Assumed the game would have saved between levels. It didn't. Lost all my progress in Zulag 1. If the chapter select screen is to be believed : (

Friend of mine had a similar issue in Paramonia Temple.

This was after installing the last update too : /

Otherwise I am loving the game even with it's quirks. I sorely miss the old control scheme though.

Zulag 1 on the return? It'll only save if you better your tallies - more Muds in particular. What happened exactly there?

Denur

I haven't experienced (or rather) noticed any stuttering / framedrops during gameplay. Only sometimes directly after reloading a quick-save.

Doing quick saves in the last part of the final chapter with Mudokons was very very slow. The game would freeze for 30 seconds or more or even indefinitely.

nofi

I haven't experienced (or rather) noticed any stuttering / framedrops during gameplay. Only sometimes directly after reloading a quick-save.

Doing quick saves in the last part of the final chapter with Mudokons was very very slow. The game would freeze for 30 seconds or more or even indefinitely.

Bug, that we're fixing in 1.03. It's likely you'll get a crash once the saves start dragging like that, and that's were most of the issues have been.

Top Bottom