• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Course You Realize, This Means Wargaming (The Jimquisition)

Yukinari

All of you laughing at premium ammo, it can be bought with in game currency as well, at least play the game before oh lol-ing about premium ammo

The moment Jim brought it up in the video i immediately knew 1 or 2 people would come in and defend it.

From an outsiders perspective it sounds ridiculous.

Budi

Premium ammo is not as bad as it sounds. The game as "standard" items and "premium" items. Premium items cost x10 credits to buy and can be purchased using ingame currency. The benefit is that they give you a better chance to penetrate the enemy tank. However using too many of these in a battle will cause you to lose credits. This can be offset by purchasing them for gold (premium currency) but every average joe can use them. This was the one "nitpick" I had. It's not $$$ only ammo.

All of you laughing at premium ammo, it can be bought with in game currency as well, at least play the game before oh lol-ing about premium ammo

Aha, but you still can get advantage with just real money. Why would someone with big bank account and will to use it care about losing credits when they can just keep spending real money making the credits pointless to them. It's not cosmetic items we are talking about here. Then your point would be valid.

Bryant

It costs--either in time or money--more than regular ammo, for a reason I would think. Or are you saying that it doesn't matter if you use premium ammo, as there is no net incremental benefit over regular ammo worth paying for? They're selling ammo that performs worse in agreggate than regular ammo?

They are better in some situations, worse in others. For example HEAT (premium) ammo behaves different then AP (standard). HEAT has better penetration but fails on "spaced" armor (multi layered armor basically). A lot of tanks have spaced armor, and the tracks of tanks are considered spaced armor. So if you are only running HEAT you cannot penetrate the tracks. Tracking tanks is actually very important because well, they cannot move and you can deal damage. HEAT cannot do this, and tracks will just "eat" the shells. Heat is better at shooting the flat surface of a tank without spaced armor.

The premium shells change by tank as well so it's not so simple as X is better than Y basically. At the end of the day however, you can buy them with $$$ using gold, which people have issue with even though you can buy them with regular ingame credits (silver). I havent used gold on ammo in... I cannot remember when. I don't know of anybody who does. Its not a perfect system, but its not exactly pay 2 win since everybody can afford to bring them into battle. The $$$ player can just bring more.

At the end of the day, you can convert gold -> credits so everything in the game can be bankrolled vOv Not really the topic of the thread.

thumb

Banned
Its not a perfect system, but its not exactly pay 2 win since everybody can afford to bring them into battle. The $$$ player can just bring more.

The $$$ player being able to bring more is exactly what "pay to win" means. It means players who spend more real money have a competitive advantage.

HeeHo

I liked the idea of JIm roasting that stupid e-mail but I thought the aristocrat character was annoying. I had to turn it down when he kept wailing near the end.

Protome

I don't know of anybody who does. Its not a perfect system, but its not exactly pay 2 win since everybody can afford to bring them into battle. The $$$ player can just bring more.

So it's not a pay 2 win system, it's just that players who pay gain an advantage through which they have a better chance of winning. Thanks for clearing that up.

There really is a defence force for everything on here...

CoolOff

So it's not a pay 2 win system, it's just that players who pay gain an advantage through which they have a better chance of winning. Thanks for clearing that up.

There really is a defence force for everything on here...

But, as already someone pointed out, it's more complicated than that...?

People are really fucking triggered by "defense forces" when we who have actually played the game try to explain mechanics to you.

20k+ games in, but pretty much out of it at this point. Wargaming is a garbage company, but premium ammo is far from the biggest problem with the game/devs.

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
Worth pointing out that yes, premium ammo is disgusting, but if I understand correctly from what players have posted above (that being that it can be bought with real money or in-game currency and only offers an advantage against certain tanks) then it's probably worth recognising that Halo 5 does exactly the same thing in Warzone. While they're not selling you ammo quite as obviously, they are selling you single use weapons and vehicles that give you a notable advantage, either for in-game currency or real cash. In fact, one might argue 343's premium ammo is even worse, since you're paying for a grab bag, rather than something you know will definitely give you a leg up. Just worth mentioning that when repackaged by a company with a respectable enough history, premium ammo has done well.

Budi

Worth pointing out that yes, premium ammo is disgusting, but if I understand correctly from what players have posted above (that being that it can be bought with real money or in-game currency and only offers an advantage against certain tanks) then it's probably worth recognising that Halo 5 does exactly the same thing in Warzone. While they're not selling you ammo quite as obviously, they are selling you single use weapons and vehicles that give you a notable advantage, either for in-game currency or real cash. In fact, one might argue 343's premium ammo is even worse, since you're paying for a grab bag, rather than something you know will definitely give you a leg up. Just worth mentioning that when repackaged by a company with a respectable enough history, premium ammo has done well.

Aha, well that's not good either. Good job for shining a light on such disgusting practises that Wargaming and 343 are partaking in.

Savitar

Well done vid, yeah Wargaming kinda did take a heavy handed approach to all this, isn't anything new as we've well and seen by now. Such people only relent when the shit they pull blows up in their face but don't really expect that here. The fan base will likely stick with them no matter what, if they are like various others fans of certain genres they will be up in arms in some parts but the game for them serves their need overall so they'll stick with it and it'll take something truly crazy for them to bring out the pitch forks. Too much P2Win stuff for example will surely do that if the company goes full down that slippy slope.

The intro song is going?! Wonder what can really match it, suppose we'll see. Much liked the Aristocrat character over his previous showing.

That aristocrat part tho

slide_321598_3021244_free.gif

Woo-Fu

Banned

Except you can't really afford to shoot it all the time if you're buying it with silver, particularly as you go up the tiers.

The real point to carry away from it is that only complete scrubs shoot premium ammo all the time(outside of comp)(it isn't even optimal in some situations) and those players rarely turn the tide.

I think the premium tank complaints are more on point. The Type 59 was so damned obnoxious they had to stop selling it.

Nothing can justify how fucking ridiculous PREMIUM AMMO is. We have steered away from god's light...

Nah, the introduction of microtransactions and freemium games was us steering away from God's light. Premium ammo is us, now pointed in the exact opposite direction of God's light, slamming the gas pedal to the floor and charging into the darkness, cackling madly, blaring heavy metal out the speakers and not giving a DAMN about who we run over along the way.

SeanTSC

Regardless of how good/bad/impactful it is - Premium Ammo will never *not* be hilarious (which was the point of the comment).

Jim fucking Sterling son, glorious video.

Wargaming abusing YouTube copyright takedown policy, scumbags deserve to be called out.

Sad to see Drill Queen Born Depressed is going, hopefully it comes back again, awesome song and fits the show brilliantly.

I'm guessing that when Jim says there's going to be an aesthetic change the show will change its name to The Duke Amiel Du H'ardcore-quisition. The people have spoken.

But seriously, it's always exciting to watch a program grow.

It's funny how Wargaming quickly became the cuddly company that loves everyone after the bad PR dropped. Imagine that. If only these companies would act like this in the first place and not need public scrutiny in order to change.

Another thing I find interesting is how many people came in this topic to say they play the game and that premium ammo isn't too bad. I get the feeling that this is just a case of a community being used to bad practices. Some of the people in here defending premium ammo definitely give off the "top .1% player" vibe. You should not be able to use real money to buy items that may give an advantage in a multiplayer game, no matter how situational. I get that devs gotta eat, and some will be p2w no matter how much flak they get for it, but it is not something that I think deserves defending.

Arrrammis

For anyone interested in more developments in this, case, The Mighty Jingles (another EU community contributor along with Sir Foch, or at least he was until today. Jingles along with several of the other CC's have left the program today as a result of this situation) recently uploaded this video talking about the situation, the Jimquisition video, and the latest dumpster fire in this situation: Wargaming NA (which is separate from Wargaming EU) has now issued a statement condemning Sir Foch and threatening further copyright action if this kind of thing continues. This statement came a few hours after the director of Wargaming EU issued a huge apology statement saying that Copyright strikes should never have been issued.

Also, Jingles mentions in great detail how Wargaming EU has expressed that they encourage people to make and monetize videos of their game, even issuing a licence that anyone can use to prove that they have permission to post videos of Wargaming games without any threat of Content ID or copyright issues. So yeah, that's a thing.

LOL the aristocrat part. Whoever wrote that email must be part of the GAF defense force hahahaha

but holy fuck, premium ammo??? that's just fucked up.

He's changing the Jimquisition theme song?? NOO!!!!! If it ain't broke, dont' fix it!!!

dickroach

Now Im wondering how jim is going to chnage the presentation fo the jimquisition.

I hope he changes the setting to like... a room with a bunch of shelves with a huge video game collection and random video game figures and plushes n shit. maybe sitting down directly in front of a computer to really change it up, y'know.

I'm definitely curious to see what he's doin

Nikodemos

For anyone interested in more developments in this, case, The Mighty Jingles (another EU community contributor along with Sir Foch, or at least he was until today. Jingles along with several of the other CC's have left the program today as a result of this situation) recently uploaded this video talking about the situation, the Jimquisition video, and the latest dumpster fire in this situation: Wargaming NA (which is separate from Wargaming EU) has now issued a statement condemning Sir Foch and threatening further copyright action if this kind of thing continues. This statement came a few hours after the director of Wargaming EU issued a huge apology statement saying that Copyright strikes should never have been issued.

Also, Jingles mentions in great detail how Wargaming EU has expressed that they encourage people to make and monetize videos of their game, even issuing a licence that anyone can use to prove that they have permission to post videos of Wargaming games without any threat of Content ID or copyright issues. So yeah, that's a thing.
Sounds like some internal conflict between WG EU and WG NA.

You should not be able to use real money to buy items that may give an advantage in a multiplayer game, no matter how situational.
You don't, unless you're a goldnoob. You can buy it with the free in-game currency (admittedly, it's quite a ways more expensive than regular ammo) and there are very few tanks which need more than 10 rounds (in WoT Blitz at least). In fact, you generally don't want to use it at all, since it messes with your in-game income. Plus, as stated above, it's not a "press A for awesome" item; it has its own special drawbacks (and Wargaming are looking at increasing those drawbacks to make it harder for goldnoobs to spam it, again, in Blitz at least).

maus

I play the game and premium ammo was always something you carried a handful of in case you run across an entrenched heavily armored tank with no exposed weak points.. Practically no one spends real money on it and its in-game currency cost is high enough that no one shoots only premium ammo.

The problem is that wargaming has been on a tear with introducing premium ($40) heavily armored tanks without any weak points. All of these tanks have been great performers so they are ubiquitous on the battlefield and the only way to deal with them is to bring more and more premium ammo. It's making an already grindy game that much harder to progress due to all the credits you bleed buying ammo. Forget about trying to play the higher tiers without a premium account.

Crash331

Lol at all the people freaking out about premium ammo that know nothing about the game.

You can buy premium ammo with in game currency that you earn for playing.

And you only need to use premium in select situations, I probably use it 5% of the time.

Of course, if you WANT to give wargaming $50/mo and shoot nothing but premium, hats your prerogative.

Crash331

I play the game and premium ammo was always something you carried a handful of in case you run across an entrenched heavily armored tank with no exposed weak points.. Practically no one spends real money on it and its in-game currency cost is high enough that no one shoots only premium ammo.

The problem is that wargaming has been on a tear with introducing premium ($40) heavily armored tanks without any weak points. All of these tanks have been great performers so they are ubiquitous on the battlefield and the only way to deal with them is to bring more and more premium ammo. It's making an already grindy game that much harder to progress due to all the credits you bleed buying ammo. Forget about trying to play the higher tiers without a premium account.

I can't really blame them for making a premium account almost necessary. They provide a good portion of the game for free. It only seems fair that at tier 8+ you start paying the monthly fee for all the entertainment they have provided for free up until that point.

maus

And you only need to use premium in select situations, I probably use it 5% of the time.

Then you are heavily gimping yourself. In tier 8 games you pretty much need 50% prem ammo (aside from tank destroyers) to be competitive with all the 250mm armor premium tanks driving around.

Blackage

Does Jim read these threads? I do wonder if he thought he'd be pulling that character back out so soon lol.

Kite

And they know it, because their other game, World of Warships doesn't have premium ammo at all.
WoWs has premium consumables which I believe have an extra charge (free is 2 charges, premium is 3) and a lower cooldown. Consumables are like heals, smoke, defensive fire for AA.

Ritzboof

I liked the idea of JIm roasting that stupid e-mail but I thought the aristocrat character was annoying. I had to turn it down when he kept wailing near the end.

this is part of what makes it so beautiful imo, so much heated passion. you can really tell years of rage and frustration towards hardcore gamers are being released in these segments

duke du h'ardcore is my favorite jim persona to date

Protome

But, as already someone pointed out, it's more complicated than that...?

People are really fucking triggered by "defense forces" when we who have actually played the game try to explain mechanics to you.

20k+ games in, but pretty much out of it at this point. Wargaming is a garbage company, but premium ammo is far from the biggest problem with the game/devs.

It's more complicated than that but it really doesn't matter how much more depth there is. Just because it doesn't give you an advantage in every situation doesn't absolve it of the P2W moniker. P2W doesn't literally mean "it makes you win every time by spending money" it just means it gives you an advantage if you do spend money. It doesn't matter if that advantage isn't in every situation because in the situations where it does matter you have paid money for an advantage.

I'm always interested in learning more about how mechanics are implemented in a game, less so when fans of the game then try to feed me bullshit about how the P2W mechanics in their favourite game aren't P2W mechanics "because I like this one."

I also agree that premium ammo isn't the worst thing with the game/devs but that's not really the point because they're doing this as well as the other stuff.

Spectone

This is the second most hilarious gaming thing I have read today, the other being about Second Life bunnies. The aristocrat was good but the whole bit about the fragmented player base emailing Jim was on another level.

CTLance

Thank god for Jim.
For anyone interested in more developments in this, case, The Mighty Jingles (another EU community contributor along with Sir Foch, or at least he was until today. Jingles along with several of the other CC's have left the program today as a result of this situation) recently uploaded this video talking about the situation, the Jimquisition video, and the latest dumpster fire in this situation: (snip)
Man, I could listen to this guy for hours.

What a clusterfuck.

Top Bottom