• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official ArmA 2 Thread of DOGCHUTES RGR

chespace said:
CO-OP!!! So glad to see there's a GAF community to play ArmA2 with.

Everyone add me to your Steam -- chespace.

I have lots of good co-op missions we can play, or we can hop onto a co-op domination server. Those are so damn fun and hilarious.

This game is amazing. GOTF.
You need to link us to the ones you've evaluated, and yes domination is fucking awesome.

Llyranor

Haven't been paying too much attention to this game so far due to expected bugs and lack of a competent PC. How has the patching been so far?

chespace said:
CO-OP!!! So glad to see there's a GAF community to play ArmA2 with.

Everyone add me to your Steam -- chespace.

I have lots of good co-op missions we can play, or we can hop onto a co-op domination server. Those are so damn fun and hilarious.

This game is amazing. GOTF.
Add me che! I sent you a friends request on steam a couple days ago.

Even with all its problems ARMA 2 consistently amazes me. Artillery strikes are just a sight to behold in this game. The entire ground shakes and your character can lose his footing if the shells are going off close by. Stormy Night missions are FREAKING intense. The weather effects are very realistic.

Billen said:
Only versus för me, no coop so far. Try the Berzerk or AAS (or whatever it's called) modes, They are listed under HOLD gametype.

EDIT: The browser is utterly loaded with big coop servers though. Many of them with huge amounts of players.
Thanks for the heads up on Berzerk mode, I tried it last night and loved it, so much fun trying to keep control of that small town.

Billen

Banned
neva- said:
Thanks for the heads up on Berzerk mode, I tried it last night and loved it, so much fun trying to keep control of that small town.

That small town? There are a couple. ;) Wait until you run it in night time mode. Seeing the map lit up by all the explosions and tracers all over the place is completely godcuntingly awesome.

SNUG REVOL said:
We should try to get some co-op games going. My steam id is chubskj. Yea, Sec Ops mission co-op would be infinite amounts of fun.

Also, is there a list of upcoming fixes for the 1.03 patch?

The changelog is old/temporary. It is not official, as in, not final.

I'd love to get some co op missions going on. My name is either Anton Sugar or anton_sugar, try that.

Anyone care to give me a cursory rundown on the different MP game modes?

I badly want some people to co-ordinate shit with. I added chespace and some others. I may start a GAF ARMA community group. Let's think of some potential names. Arma MP is srs internet warz.
My steam id is Kn1ghtfall. I would love to arma with you.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Recently played the game on a killer rig and have to say holy fuck. This blows me away. If anyone ever wanted a serious warfare FPS, he actually wanted this game.

Have to get a decent computer now AGH

My order finally shipped from Zavvi. Should be playing in the next few days if my CPU can handle it. Total newbie to the genre so don't expect me to be very good at it.

Patch 1.03 has been released! If you have Steam, it will autopatch; otherwise, go here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1393212#post1393212

VERSION 1.03 HIGHLIGHTS
---------------------------------------------------
* Major AI tweaking and balancing (especially AI infantry can hear much less)
* Improved multiplayer and cooperative campaign (saving games, connection issues)
* Numerous fixes and improvements in the Harvest Red campaign

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:
----------

Engine
------

* New: Functions getPosATL and setPosATL to allow controlling position relative to terrain.
* New: command line option -showScriptErrors introduced to show errors in scripts on-screen
* New: Direct analogue throttle and brake for airplanes now available.
* New: More flexible configuration of Flares in the config (brightness, size)
* New: Mission name (with * indicated unsaved work) displayed in the mission editor
* New: Keyboard shortcuts in the mission editor
* Improved: better handling of gravitation for shots (esp. for grenades)
* Improved: Building destruction
* Improved: Better airplane HUD visibility both night and day
* Optimization: Reduced frame stutter near map borders.
* Hotfix: Players are forced to reconnect after MP Load on server.
* Fixed: no particles effect when hit object with destructNo
* Fixed: grenade could destroy a building just by impact
* Fixed: grenades may explode only on the final impact
* Fixed: when a grenade bounces on a ship deck, the proper particle effects is shown now
* Fixed: missiles should pass through vegetation
* Fixed: Player connected to loaded game was sometimes frozen.
* Fixed: Game crashed when launched on a system with more then 8 CPUs/cores.
* Fixed: Possible crash with laser designator active.
* Fixed: Sometimes crew of a close vehicle was visible through the vehicle.
* Fixed: Infinite looping of commands 'Stop' in radio.
* Fixed: Leaning 'limits' do not work in TrackIR.
* Fixed: Clients were often endlessly stuck in 'Receiving...' window after MP Load.
* Fixed: Rainbow could be visible even with sun below horizon.
* Fixed: 3D Editor - civilian and resistance units did not work correctly
* Fixed: Sea surface was not rendered in NE area out of map.
* Fixed: Terrain surface was sometimes using wrong parallax map.
* Fixed: Grenade could sometimes destroy a building just by impact
* Fixed: Radio messages sometimes echoed
* Fixed: Team switch did not work when player died
* Fixed: Reduced AI detecting slowly moving enemy vehicles by ear.
* Fixed: Prevent killed AI units reporting who killed them.
* Fixed: After respawn in MP, player's tasks, diary content and skills are transferred to the new entity
* Fixed: Leaning 'limits' did not work with TrackIR
* Fixed: MP client frozen in Receiving... screen sometimes
* Fixed: Problems with saving and loading games in cooperative campaign

Missions
---------

* Fixes and improvements in most of the campaign missions (Into the Storm, Harvest Red, Bitter Chill, Manhattan, Badlands, Dogs of War)
* Improved: autosave logic to not save when it was not safe
* Improved: Eye for an Eye in Scenarios

Modules
---------
* Fixed: Warfare fast travel on clients was not using logistic values
* Fixed: Warfare money sending
* Fixed: Warfare HQ multiple reports
* Fixed: First-Aid: Action module caused healing scripts to run twice
* Fixed: Supply drop not ending (wrong vehicle class)
* New: First-Aid modules work with respawn
* New: First-Aid ability to stop healing
* New: Added ability to add Support Requests that do not expire.
* Improved: First-Aid modules more robust and faster
* Improved: Better support for side Resistance in SOM / ACM.

Data
---------

* Fixed: Invisible driver in UAZ (MG and GL)
* Fixed: AI soldiers were able to hear extremely well
* Fixed: various minor problems on buildings
* Fixed: rocks destruction effect changed
* Fixed: penetrability of some vegetation
* Fixed: collision geometry of A_BuildingWIP
* Fixed: react FSM core conversations
* Fixed: cargo animations in LAV25
* Fixed: indicators in Ka52 when using NVG
* Fixed: cargo animations in BTR
* Fixed: Warfare keypoint on Chernarus

Zenith

Banned
Fixed: Game crashed when launched on a system with more then 8 CPUs/cores.

Bizarre.

So does it make much difference? I can't see much in the change log that would make me jump back in.

Don't know yet and truthfully won't be able to give you an accurate impression. Installing Windows 7 which, luckily, seems to improve Arma2 performance.

Some people reported performance increase, some didn't.

I can't really tell, but I will say upgrading to Windows 7 has (so far) given me more stable FPS, and that's with higher details selected as well.

Walshicus

Mr. Snrub said:
Some people reported performance increase, some didn't.

I can't really tell, but I will say upgrading to Windows 7 has (so far) given me more stable FPS, and that's with higher details selected as well.
Is that XP to 7 or Vista to 7?

Sir Fragula said:
Is that XP to 7 or Vista to 7?

Vista 64 Ultimate to 7 64.

Like I said, I don't actually think my FPS have made a major increase, but it doesn't dip low nearly as often. Pretty solid 30 fps.

Mods In Development
Terminator Mod - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74147&page=3
oaxcsl.jpg

2la4hp3.jpg

67qn9s.png

Sparks and Lighting Effects - http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1395540&postcount=345
Video demonstrating effects at night

JTD Smoke Effects - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=82727
Video showing forest fire

Stormtroopers - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81385
2evw41x.jpg

wgqgjt.jpg

Operation Half-Moon (Chinese military) - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78348
Trailer

New Zealand Defense Force - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83107

Mods Released
Operation Northstar (Canadian military) - http://www.ons.armaholic.eu/

SAP Clutter (reduces height of vegetation, making prone + 1st person usable) - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75873
sap_clutter1.jpg

LandTex (replacement Chernarus textures) - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75964

GMJ Sight Adjustment (adjust for windage and elevation) - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81112

Little Bird Helicopters! - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74856
LittleBirdsLogo-low.jpg

Reduced Voices (leaves the text notifications but gets rid of most of the mundane voice notifications) - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75720

Non-blinding Sun Mod - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=80846
sunmod.jpg

Car Radio - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=82665

Arma Mod Launchers:
goArma - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79379
Arma II Launcher - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81060
ArmaLaunch - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76669

ffs I shot a guy 4 times in the head with the pistol. I saw the blood and he still shot me.

Can someone give me some tips on how to play this game? Also my team mates never follow me.

Zenith

Banned
Visualante said:
ffs I shot a guy 4 times in the head with the pistol. I saw the blood and he still shot me.

Can someone give me some tips on how to play this game? Also my team mates never follow me.

pistols do jack. I know most units have body armour but it's ridiculous.

Mr. Snrub said:
Don't know about the headshot deal, was this AI or multi?

What help exactly do you need?

The guy who released the 1700 AI vid has a few more good ones out:
Blizzard battle (using weather mod)
Springtime assault
A10 Attack
Sunset Ambush
AI, I just need some sort of help system in game it seems. The map doesn't make any sense, I get an on the fly task in the first mission and then I'm told I failed it even though the NPC doesn't follow me and I can't talk to him. AI buddies just running around in circles doing jack while I'm heading off to markers.

Visualante said:
AI, I just need some sort of help system in game it seems. The map doesn't make any sense, I get an on the fly task in the first mission and then I'm told I failed it even though the NPC doesn't follow me and I can't talk to him. AI buddies just running around in circles doing jack while I'm heading off to markers.

How does the map not make sense? Seriously?

Don't know, I never had any problem with the first mission, it's the latter ones that were buggy for me. In fact, I played it again online with a friend and it went through without a hitch...

Played High Command with a friend last night as a two man sniper team. Ran around, using alternate routes to the different zones to capture and amassed a ton of money, then went and bought some AH1Zs and started attacking by air.

I'm also getting into the mission editor, might post a mission or two up here.

ArmA II Expansion Pack Announced...buh?

Prague, Czech Republic - IDEA Games and award winning independent development studio Bohemia Interactive announced today the development of ARMA II Operation Arrowhead; the standalone expansion pack to ARMA II, one of the most anticipated sandbox PC military simulator of 2009.

Three years after the conflict in Chernarus, portrayed in the original ARMA II, a new flashpoint in the Green Sea region heats up and coalition forces led by the US Army are sent to Takistan to quickly restore peace and prevent further civilian casualties.

Set into the new, visually attractive environment of hilly central Asia, Operation Arrowhead will offer realistic combat simulation experience in a modern day setting with unprecedented freedom of movement, actions and tactics. Players will enlist into various roles within the US Army, from basic infantrymen, through special operatives, to pilots and tank crew in this new installment in the award winning line up of military simulators for PC from Bohemia Interactive.

ARMA II Operation Arrowhead will be presented during the Gamescom; trade fair for interactive games and entertainment in Cologne, Germany 19th - 23rd August 2009. Visit us at our stand in hall 4.2, stand no. L034.

"Bohemia Interactive is fully committed to supporting the existing ARMA II user base whilst also working on the expansion pack, this will not only allow us to introduce a new and original theater of war to the simulation series, but also improve numerous areas of the core game, for both the original game and the expansion, where we can go even further with adding completely new features" said Marek Spanel, Bohemia's CEO.

Join the duty in ARMA II, this ultimate military simulator, and get a taste of what it takes to be a soldier in a modern warfare conflict! Visit www.arma2.com or youtube channel ARMA2official for more information!

ARMA II Operation Arrowhead has not yet been rated by ESRB.

Just to suppress the confusion a little this is a quick sum-up of what I've learned from this thread:
  • The expansion will be called Operation Arrowhead (obvious ;))
  • It will take place in Takistan, a fictional Middle Eastern country, 3 years after Harvest Red (ARMA 2 campaign)
  • 2 screenshots: Apache and Local woman
  • The BLUFOR side will include the US Army
  • It will be stand-alone - you will not need the original ARMA 2 (think of Half-Life 2's Episodes)
  • If you do have ARMA 2 you will be able to use all of its content (units, campaign, missions) in Op. Arrowhead - it should be backwards compatible
  • Most of the improvements should be available for ARMA 2 in the form of free patch(es), this includes engine bug fixes
  • More info will be known from the GamesCom that will take place between August 19 and August 23 2009 in Cologne, Germany (BIS should have their stand in Hall 04.2, booth L034 - part inaccessible for the general public - source), there will be another "surprise" we will learn from there

56907_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead_ingame_shot_02.jpg

56906_arma_ii_operation_arrowhead_ingame_shot_01.jpg

A dev also posted on the forum, with some vague hints:

Involvement of military other than US?
You will be able to use the expansion pack units (US Army, etc.) in Arma2
Work on expansion pack started in January 2009; when ArmA2 was finished, art team went to the exp pack; programmers/designers now working on ArmA2 fixes. When design bugs are fixed, designers will move to exp pack. Programmers working on the expansion will be, by the nature of their work, be fixing ArmA 2 bugs as well.
More surprises at the press conference next week?

Aaaand, a Community Update:

Howdy folks,

We just wanted to give you a brief update as to what's going on with ArmA II and what we're working on, our immediate plans and such:

Patch 1.04 for ArmA II is currently in progress, we carefully read the feedback on the forums as much as possible, sometimes of course it can get a little heated and unclear so we also use the Community Issue Tracker, these are the two main points for collecting feedback from the community.

A couple of prioritised areas we're hoping to address for 1.04 are "mouse lag" (this is something we've not been able to reproduce locally but we believe there are a couple of things we can do to help the situation for those users who do seem to suffer from it), the second area we're prioritising is improving performance, especially in urban areas, of course there will be other things addressed in 1.04 but it's too early to go into details about those just yet.

We're finalising the complete editing tools suite for release, more info can be found at http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BI_Tools_2

Dedicated Linux server, we know this is something the community of course is eagerly waiting for, we continue progress on this but cannot at this point give any time-scale for the release, unfortunately it's not quite as simple as some might think to release a Linux version of our dedicated server but rest assured we're making progress.

We're working on a new plan for the best way to be able to establish more regular patches release, as well as to grant access to interim versions, to those community members willing to help us with testing various aspects of planned changes in the core engine.

So hopefully a few things for you all to look forward to there, you guys have already taken great steps to ensure that ArmA II has a solid fanbase and community and hopefully some of the things we've outlined above will ensure that this continues for a long time to come.

Please continue with your feedback, suggestions and bug reports, we try to read as much as we can and when possible will give comments back, but just because we're not talking doesn't mean we're not listening!

:lol Right you were!

Shame the campaign was so buggy. From the forums, seems that it was a case of "publishers control the release dates, not us".

Still, enjoying myself and can't wait for the full editor to come out.

Steeven

That expansion pack sounds like what they originally wanted with ArmA 1, or at least it sounds the same when I talked to Bohemia at E3 2006. As people know, it didn't quite turn out that way.

Zenith

Banned
Steeven said:
That expansion pack sounds like what they originally wanted with ArmA 1, or at least it sounds the same when I talked to Bohemia at E3 2006. As people know, it didn't quite turn out that way.

They didn't want Arma1 full stop.

with ArmA 1 it was just random, really. We made some units because we had to. There wasn't much passion from our side with the first ArmA, to be honest.

Dennis

Banned
Patch 1.04 is out

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=86530

================================================== ======
VERSION 1.04 HIGHLIGHTS
================================================== ======

* Mouse controls: Improved mouse handling and responsivness
* Stability: Fixed CTD caused by Voice Over Net when many players were speaking simultaneously and other stability problems
* Sound: Fixed speed of sould simulation and other improvements
* Multiplayer: fixed scoring, multiple mission parameters added and various other MP-related improvements

CHANGELOG:
----------

Engine
------

* New: Added mouse smoothing to game options.
* New: Enabled multiple parameters for MP missions.
* New: Mouse filtering strenght adjustable using mouseSmoothing=NNNN in user config.
* New: Command line argument -cpuCount=NNN to override cpu count detection.
* Improved: Mouse smoothing disabled for fast movement.
* Improved: Mouse smoothing can be disabled in user profile file using line mouseSmoothing=0;
* Improved: Audio volume settings.
* Fixed: Soldier were walking on non-existant heaps of debris from destroyed buildings.
* Fixed: Autocoordination caused rudder oscillation in high speed flight.
* Fixed: Crashes in VoN when many players were speaking simultaneously.
* Fixed: Immortal freezed soldiers occured in MP.
* Fixed: Broken kill scoring in MP (two points for unit kill).
* Fixed: Input key actions are no longer active while chat mode.
* Fixed: Diag_log used with long text argument caused crash.
* Fixed: Mouse scrolling in diary.
* Fixed: Enemy kills made by player using stolen enemy vehicle are no longer considered as friendly kills.
* Fixed: Switching to Utes from Chernarus caused Utes to contain infinite landscape.
* Fixed: Time of day synchronized on client after connection to server.
* Fixed: Speed of sound simulation.
* Fixed: Fire from rifle distort sound.
* Fixed: Crash by malformed input to a diag_log scripting function.
* Fixed: Dark muzzle flash in some of the weapon optics.
* Fixed: MP: Ships and boats used excessive bandwidth and CPU power.
* Fixed: Players are no longer forced to reconnect after MP Load on server.
* Fixed: Bike rider can be no longer healed.
* Fixed: Sometimes crew of a near vehicle was visible through the vehicle.

Missions
--------
* Improved: Communication menu updated to work with the new menu systems.
* Fixed: Some persistent RE calls added for better JIP compatibility in campaign.
* Fixed: Music was sometimes not playing properly due to faulty playMusic RE command call.
* Fixed: Scene area cleared from exploding destroyed vehicles during various scenes.
* Fixed: Possible appearance of immortal non-player characters in campaign.
* Fixed: (First to Fight) MP: Logos shown on client every time after JIP.
* Fixed: (First to Fight) MP: Skeet shooting not working for clients after JIP.
* Fixed: (First to Fight) Players not boarded in the chopper if they got in the towing tractor.
* Fixed: (Into the Storm) MP: Bad position of client players during converation.
* Fixed: (Into the Storm) Some voice-subtitles difference in the first dialog.
* Fixed: (Into the Storm) MP: No callsign for HQ entity on clients.
* Fixed: (One Week Later) MP: Clients not sitting on bikes after leaving the AAV.
* Fixed: (One Week Later) MP: Player is no longer the co-pilot in the Osprey.
* Fixed: (Manhattan) Escort chopper often shot down.
* Fixed: (Manhattan) Palyer stuck in the animation after first scene.
* Fixed: (Badlands) Prizrak no longer initiates conversation if Cooper is in a vehicle.
* Fixed: (Badlands) Non-fucntional ending in campaign scenario.
* Fixed: (Missing in Action) Redundant random sentences from Razor.

Modules
-------
* Improved: Ambient Civilians module caused lag in MP due to window lights.
* Fixed: Undefined variables in Ambient Civilians module.
* Fixed: High Command could behave strange when someone added his own display event handler.
* Fixed: Wrong positions of objects/logics.
* Fixed: Performance problems related to Animals module in MP.

Data
----
* Improved: Some of the vehicle HUDs now contain missing info.
* Fixed: Alignment issues on several wrapper UI screens.

To celebrate let us rejoice in the graphical splendor

Dennis

Banned
Darklord said:
So, 4 patches in now...does it run ok? Whats overall performance like now?
Depends on what you mean. It still requires an absolute beast of a machine from the future to run at max. I haven't seen anybody anywhere claim they can max it out at high res. But the game is great and with a modest draw distance and not too crazy with the AA I think it runs ok.

Hrm, Steam version isn't patching yet but hopefully it does by tonight. Haven't played in a while and if they really fixed the vehicles nuking server bandwidth it'll be worth getting back into.

DennisK4 said:
Depends on what you mean. It still requires an absolute beast of a machine from the future to run at max. I haven't seen anybody anywhere claim they can max it out at high res. But the game is great and with a modest draw distance and not too crazy with the AA I think it runs ok.

Point is, does it run better now. Even without trying to max it out the performance was meh

1) Dogchutes rule.
2) This game is compelling me to buy a supercomputer from the future.
3) ArmA 2 is why video games were invented.

PS: 4) I can't find 1.21 Jigawatts on my Ohm's Wheel.

Don't think anyone ever posted this - they've been doing beta patches at this link:

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Doesn't matter so much right now after the 1.04 release but maybe they'll be doing some more. The mouse smoothing was fixed several weeks ago in a beta patch which finally made the game playable for me.

BeeDog

Major bumpage, but the big-ass 1.05 patch is out now (or at least should be according to VE3D, haven't found a DL link yet :lol ):

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/52151/ArmA-II-Patch-1-05-Released
http://www.arma2.com/supply/all-downloads/file/219-arma2update_105.html?lang=en

ArmA II 1.05 has been unleashed, featuring new content, tweaks and fixes. The update is compatible with all previous versions of ArmA II, as well as with the Steam version. Bohemia Interactive continue to improve the ARMA 2 gaming experience with the eagerly awaited update version 1.05 loaded with free content.

* Free bonus campaign Eagle Wing
* Free bonus helicopter addon AH-64D
* New Warfare multiplayer mode When Diplomacy Fails, including 3-sides and support for diplomacy between factions
* Major AI tweaking and balancing (better combat cooperation, better situational awareness, new Suppressive fire command)
* Significant performance improvements, especially in large cities
* Fixed compatibility problems under Windows Vista and Windows 7 x64 with 8 GB and more RAM
* Grass now provides concealment also in distance
* Improved hit detection and damage system
* Improved object visibility and less significant objects popping in distance
* Improved mouse input handling
* Spatial sound improvements
* Automatic launching of user made addons (units, missions etc.) via "pbo" file association with the game
* Possibility to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode at any time in game menus using Alt + Enter or through video options
* Various crash opportunities fixed
* Linux server support added
* New GUI to various dedicated server settings
* New GUI for multiplayer commands
* Enabled commanding during story conversations
* FreeTrack support using FreeTrackClient.dll
* DRM free
* Optional anti-cheat protection

Dennis

Banned
Yes!

Grass concealment, better performance in cities and fixed the 8GB problem on vista and win7 are the most important improvements, I think.

Top Bottom