• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official ArmA 2 Thread of DOGCHUTES RGR

Walshicus

UnluckyKate said:
...uh ? Did you meant Ospray ?

bellboeing_v_22_osprey.jpg
No, because that's an Osprey not a Pelican :p.

I know they fill similar roles, but even accepting that one is a fictional craft the turbo prop/jet difference alone would make them play differently.

Sir Fragula said:
No, because that's an Osprey not a Pelican :p.

I know they fill similar roles, but even accepting that one is a fictional craft the turbo prop/jet difference alone would make them play differently.

I'm sure it can be ported in. Wish I had some modding skill...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Been having an amazing time with ArmA2 in multiplayer and in playing random mission generation with the Second Ops Manager and Ambient Combat Module. If you're on Steam and want to play co-op with Ryan O'Donnell and I, let me know! (Steam name is chespace).

Here's some war photography.

2njvh8l.jpg

2q3xiu0.jpg

ekonlk.jpg

5d3f8.jpg

54zk3b.jpg

1znsyft.jpg

eiw08g.jpg

opmv6x.jpg

26396rc.jpg

b3vscl.jpg

11vjksh.jpg

2iuxsoi.jpg

xnsnlw.jpg

2yw6afa.jpg

xly250.jpg

Billen

Banned
So, awesomeness confirmed? Us old OFP mp lovers (as in loving the mp, not making love in the game (and thats multiplayer, not military police)) needs this game?

Will buy tonight.

Edit : This is, by the way, the game that finally convinced me to stop buying games from Steam aka GOLD PATCH DELIVERY WITH DIAMONDS ON TOP. Paying almost twice the price compared to the local shops here in Sweden is just not doable :)

What kind of hardware does this game take to run with everything maxed out in 1680x1050?

glaurung

Kept reading this thread until I surrendered to the nagging in my brain and ordered this from ZAVVI (£16, probably the cheapest option around right now).

Now all I am interested in is how this stacks up against the upcoming Operation Flashpoint 2?

Has there been any kind of real comparison article or side-by-side feature list?

MGHA

I have an 8800gt as well, have everything very high except AA and it runs fine except for popups and random fps drops. I'm sure patches will fix a lot of it.

Deus Ex Machina said:
I keep hearing this is a beast to play.. This site says I should be able to handle it.. but real world and paper are to totally different things

http://www.aerial-vein.com/27189088/aram.jpg[/QUOTE]
just list your specs and I'll tell you yes you can play it fine. deal?

mbmonk

Arma newbie here. I have a couple of questions after playing the demo for Arma2 and buying Arma1.

1) Arma1 and Arma 2 related question, Could you tell me the methods you use to effectively control the AI teamates? Do you split the squad into two teams and use a surpress team and a flank team? What formations do you like to use, etc.?
- I put the enemy AI on novice and the friendly AI on expert and my friendly units still die left and right. Since Arma isn't a franchise where you can Rambo it, and my friendly AI units almost always get killed it can lead to a lot of frustration. I still haven't even come close to finishing the SP on Arma 1 because I can't manage the AI correctly.

2) In it's current state how is Arma2 MP? Fun, broken, or both? :)

Thanks for the thread. It turned me onto the Arma series. I bought Arma1 waiting for Arma2 to get patched, but now I am getting game fever for A2.

Zenith

Banned
mbmonk said:
1) Arma1 and Arma 2 related question, Could you tell me the methods you use to effectively control the AI teamates? Do you split them squad into two teams and use a surpress team and a flank team? What formations do you like to use, etc.?

"Command, 1 -> 1"

That's all I use. they follow you and shoot at anything close by.

kodt

Banned
Billen said:
What kind of hardware does this game take to run with everything maxed out in 1680x1050?

StuKen said:
It doesn't exist yet.

I played the demo on my machine at 1920x1080, all high settings, getting 30-40 fps.

Core i7 920, 6GB DDR3, ATI 4890 1GB.

demolitio

I played the demo at 1680x1050 with 50 fps or so, but the retail game caps out at 23 fps no matter what I do. Seems like others have this problem too. Very weird.

HoRNS456

Banned
The thread is a good read so far, I am still waiting to build my PC before getting this. Plus, it should have a patch or two more by then. Thanks for the screens.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
anyone else signed up to charlie foxtrot tournament?

it's basically a setup for anyone who ever has had fps aspirations of at army. you sign up for one of the two factions, and you are given a rank, section and squad assignment/specialty role. your first evening will be spent being inducted, but after that it's down to bi weekly open-to-the-public scrims (the charlie foxtrot server is pushing arma 2 pvp as far as it can right now. were talking 120+ player games) and weekly tournament games where the two factions do battle for a persistent score.

the whole thing is organized with literally military precision, with a strict rank structure employed in game, within the wider forum community, and on teamspeak.

since getting into this (i've never done anything so neckbearded in my life), i feel like i'm getting everything i hoped for when i bought into arma 2. and anyone who was looking forward to structured army sized wargames (there is no skill prerequisite) should definitely check it out.

http://cfarma2.com/
http://cfarma2.com/forums/****join-your-army-here****/

Zenith said:
Just curious, how many people have actually beaten the main campaign?

I was on my merry way, until the HMV I was using disappeared and I was left with 4 floating squaddies zipping around the map. Then the game stopped loading textures for any of the cars, which in turn made the game seem like a high res version of Noby Noby Boy.

So I decided to wait it out for another patch.

Billen

Banned
kodt said:
I played the demo on my machine at 1920x1080, all high settings, getting 30-40 fps.

Core i7 920, 6GB DDR3, ATI 4890 1GB.

Thanks alot. About to order something similar to that. Was that in all maps? Tried multiplayer?

demolitio said:
I played the demo at 1680x1050 with 50 fps or so, but the retail game caps out at 23 fps no matter what I do. Seems like others have this problem too. Very weird.

What HW do you have?

Joseph Merrick said:
just list your specs and I'll tell you yes you can play it fine. deal?
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70
Memory: OCZ 8GB DDR3 1600 platinum
Graphics Card: Diamond 4890 XOC
Hard Drive: VelociRaptor 300GB
Power Supply: In Win Commander 750W
Case: Solano 1000
CPU cooling: CoolerMaster V10
Monitor: Samsung HL-S5087W

Deus Ex Machina said:
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70
Memory: OCZ 8GB DDR3 1600 platinum
Graphics Card: Diamond 4890 XOC
Hard Drive: VelociRaptor 300GB
Power Supply: In Win Commander 750W
Case: Solano 1000
CPU cooling: CoolerMaster V10
Monitor: Samsung HL-S5087W
yes you can play it fine

Billen

Banned
Been playing some Arma 2 multiplayer lately. Holy shit, this game delivers in multiplayer. AAS and Berzerk are both awesome game modes. Running towards a village, one of many to be captured, while helis buzz around trying to find the tanks in the woods, people everywhere and just general mayhem and burning buildings.... It's just great :D

chespace

Billen said:
Been playing some Arma 2 multiplayer lately. Holy shit, this game delivers in multiplayer. AAS and Berzerk are both awesome game modes. Running towards a village, one of many to be captured, while helis buzz around trying to find the tanks in the woods, people everywhere and just general mayhem and burning buildings.... It's just great :D

This x 1000 or so.

ArmA 2 MP is all I've been playing lately aside from my phone.

Billen

Banned
chespace said:
This x 1000 or so.

True. I have put down all other console games beside Monster Hunter (I still take the train) and PC games to be able to play this in multi. Haven't even started the campaign yet. It's insane amounts of fun and lots of "magical moments" when you see the most amazing shit happen.

chespace said:
This x 1000 or so.

chespace, I added you on steam. I'm Regret Truth.

I've given up on the campaign because of all the glitches. Your last post about the random mission generator has given this game new life for me. I'd love to get in some multiplayer games with you and some Gaffers.

You guys play a lot of versus or co-op?

mbmonk

They should bundle up some low res versions of those tutorial videos and include them with the next patch. The games tutorials is pretty terrible and these would go a long way to introducing new player, like myself to the game. I should not have to stumble upon their youtube videos to learn the game.

Billen

Banned
SNUG REVOL said:

I've given up on the campaign because of all the glitches. Your last post about the random mission generator has given this game new life for me. I'd love to get in some multiplayer games with you and some Gaffers.

Only versus för me, no coop so far. Try the Berzerk or AAS (or whatever it's called) modes, They are listed under HOLD gametype.

EDIT: The browser is utterly loaded with big coop servers though. Many of them with huge amounts of players.

chespace said:
This x 1000 or so.

I've been on a long vacation, just got back, and I want to get back into the game. Is there a good explanation of the multiplayer modes anywhere? I feel seriously lost anytime I venture into multiplayer, other than doing co-op with a friend.

SNUG REVOL said:

This game is perfect for co-op. I'd love to hook up with three others for co-op in the campaign, or get a bunch of us together for some multiplayer missions. I wonder if you can do the Sec Ops mission with multiplayer?

mbmonk said:
They should bundle up some low res versions of those tutorial videos and include them with the next patch. The games tutorials is pretty terrible and these would go a long way to introducing new player, like myself to the game. I should not have to stumble upon their youtube videos to learn the game.

Agreed. The documentation/tutorials are pretty weak when it comes to explaining the game.

I also hear patch 1.03 is gonna be out soon.

mbmonk

Mr. Snrub said:

I hope the 1.03 patch is good. I have been holding off purchasing this game until it gets a decent patch or two.

So hard to resist.. shiny graphics.. of Arma2

demolitio

Billen said:
What HW do you have?

2 4850s in CF
Phenom Quad Core 9850 at 2.8 ghz
4 gb of ram

I even tried running the game at the lowest resolution with everything set to low and it's still 23 fps. It's like that horrible Jim Carrey movie.

Billen

Banned
Tonights gaming session done. 80 people in Berzerk. Sneaking around, trying to pop the tanks and then changing to a scoped rifle to get the people coming for me. Such an awesome game. The night levels look stunning when you put NV goggles down and start looking at explosions, tracers, kangaroos and oh my god.....it's full of stars.

Edit: By the way, the look of a night time city being set ablaze by a strafing chopper firing rockets is a sight for..well..just about any pair of eyes to enjoy :D

BeeDog

Mr. Snrub said:
Agreed. The documentation/tutorials are pretty weak when it comes to explaining the game.

Will the patch be massive? I encountered some heavy glitches during my time in the campaign mode, so walked away from the game until further patching was done, but eager to get back into it now.

Mr. Snrub said:
I've been on a long vacation, just got back, and I want to get back into the game. Is there a good explanation of the multiplayer modes anywhere? I feel seriously lost anytime I venture into multiplayer, other than doing co-op with a friend.

This game is perfect for co-op. I'd love to hook up with three others for co-op in the campaign, or get a bunch of us together for some multiplayer missions. I wonder if you can do the Sec Ops mission with multiplayer?

We should try to get some co-op games going. My steam id is chubskj. Yea, Sec Ops mission co-op would be infinite amounts of fun.

Also, is there a list of upcoming fixes for the 1.03 patch?

chespace

SNUG REVOL said:
We should try to get some co-op games going. My steam id is chubskj. Yea, Sec Ops mission co-op would be infinite amounts of fun.

Also, is there a list of upcoming fixes for the 1.03 patch?

CO-OP!!! So glad to see there's a GAF community to play ArmA2 with.

Everyone add me to your Steam -- chespace.

I have lots of good co-op missions we can play, or we can hop onto a co-op domination server. Those are so damn fun and hilarious.

This game is amazing. GOTF.

Skenzin

Banned
My specs.
Intel Quad9400 @3.2ghz
Nvidia GTX 275 w/896 RAM
8GB DDR2 1066
Gigabyte p35 mb
WD 1TB hd w/32MB cache.

Honestly, this game will be great one day. But I have spent more time trying to get it to run at a decent frame rate or without graphical glitches (ie. missing textures). I have gotten it to run well in MP at one point and it looked awsome. But SP is 10fps slide show for some reason.

I think Ive spent 5 hours playing and 10 hours tweaking it to run. (drivers, editing ini files, startup commands, custom driver configs). I think I actually enjoy trying to get this game running well, its almost like getting it to run well is the game.

Top Bottom