• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official August Canada NPD - Sales up 78%, DS & Bioshock Sizzle - 360 has a big jump

Many thanks to NPD Canada.

Canada continues to experience significant growth, substantially higher than the US.

Sales for the month were up a spectacular 78% (63% YTD), with console HW leading the way up a whopping 221%, with portable HW up a respectable 30% (despite a decline in PSP sales).

The big story is SW sales. Overall, they were up 43% YOY to $41M, again with console SW leading the way up over 52% and handheld sales up 22%

Hardware Aug'07
Nintendo DS 51.8K
Wii 34.4K
Xbox 360 26.7K
PS2 20.8K
PS3 12.7K
PSP 9K
GBA 6.4K

Top 10 Video Games - Aug 2007
360 BIOSHOCK 35K
360 MADDEN NFL 08 23K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 22K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION 17K
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A DAY 13K
PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR 12.2K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 12K
WII MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED 11.7K
360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR 11K
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS 10.4K

FYI: Last months Canada results:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182564

Nintendo DS 45,755 45,700 25.15%
Wii 36,419 53,000 -14.11%
PS2 20,278 21,000 20.70%
PS3 15,037 6,500 189.17%
Xbox 360 13,119 13,500 21.47%
GBA 9,750 8,800 38.49%
PSP 5,825 18,500 -60.64%

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Xbox 360 numbers are entirely too high.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
sonycowboy said:
Many thanks to NPD Canada.

Canada continues to experience significant growth, substantially higher than the US.

Sales for the month were up a spectacular 78% (63% YTD), with console HW leading the way up a whopping 221%, with portable HW up a respectable 30% (despite a decline in PSP sales).

The big story is SW sales. Overall, they were up 43% YOY to $41M, again with console SW leading the way up over 52% and handheld sales up 22%

Wow.

PSP is down because people were waiting for the improved PSP P I guess?
Otherwise, ouch! DS sales are 5 to 1.

Nice 360 sales, and another evidence that people should really stop saying that Wii is still in the "possibly a fad" realm.

Amazing Bioshock, still wish Prime 3 was a bit higher then that.
Also, seems that Wii is starting to cater for a diverse audience with Stikers selling as much as Madden on PS2.

sonycowboy said:
Top 10 Video Games - Aug 2007
360 BIOSHOCK 35K
360 MADDEN NFL 08 23K

I've always wondered why there are no Canadian teams in the NFL? I guess there is Canadian rules football instead? (Or did that die?)

Guy Legend

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Poor PS3, I thought it would do better

Why? The price cut was reflected in July's sales which saw more than a 100% increase in sales. Sales for August are still nearly double that of June.

However, it does appears that sales are starting to tail off for the unit in the US and in Canada. Let's see what happens at TGS.

speculawyer said:
I've always wondered why there are no Canadian teams in the NFL? I guess there is Canadian rules football instead? (Or did that die?)

CFL has some interest but most of my Canadian buddies follow the NFL.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I think Wii Play is going to sell forever. In any event, 360 did great in Canada as well.

Parl

6fju2yg.png

GhaleonEB

PS3 drop is almost identical to the US drop - 15% compared to 18% US. 360 jump is larger at over 100%, compared to just over 60% US. The latter is probably due to the steeper price cut there, didn't they drop the Premium SKU $100 Canadian to bring it in line with exchange rate?

X26

Banned
I was part of those Bioshock and Madden numbers, got rid of Madden pretty fast though.

speculawyer said:

Would be cool to have the CFL in the Madden games. As for the league it's stil laorund and it does alright. I much prefer the NFL though for numerous reaosns. 4 downs, better players, atmosphere, hotter cheerleaders, etc.

GhaleonEB said:
PS3 drop is almost identical to the US drop - 15% compared to 18% US. 360 jump is larger at over 100%, compared to just over 60% US. The latter is probably due to the steeper price cut there, didn't they drop the Premium SKU $100 Canadian to bring it in line with exchange rate?

Yup it dropped $100CAD, from $499 to $399. Pretty big deal. AND it comes with Forza 2, some stores sell it with a second game as well, so if you're in the market for those games it's actually cheaper than in the US.

Strong looney FTW. Actually, strong looney FTL as I get paid in USD :(

Tiktaalik

X26 said:
Would be cool to have the CFL in the Madden games. As for the league it's still around and it does alright. I much prefer the NFL though for numerous reasons. 4 downs, better players, atmosphere, hotter cheerleaders, etc.

Having the CFL in Madden would be pretty awesome. NHL 08 having both the NHL, AHL and various European leagues sets the precedent that you can easily have more than one league in a sports title. I don't know anything about NFL, but I've been to a few CFL games and I'd probably try out a Madden that featured the CFL for sure.

Anyway, looks like a good month for sales. Next month should be great for confusing the hell out of Americans with all the NHL 08/ NHL 2k8 clogging up the top 10.

I'm not surprised that PSP and PS3 seem to be doing worse in Canada than in the USA. They're definitely perceived as luxury items, and Canada tends to be a lot more frugal than the US.

Aleman

Why add PS2 sales to PS3 to spin things? If someone buys a PS2 right now than they're not very likely to buy a PS3 in a near future. And PS3 sales are what we're really concerned about.

Top Bottom