• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official August Canada NPD - Sales up 78%, DS & Bioshock Sizzle - 360 has a big jump

Tiktaalik

GhaleonEB said:
PS3 drop is almost identical to the US drop - 15% compared to 18% US. 360 jump is larger at over 100%, compared to just over 60% US. The latter is probably due to the steeper price cut there, didn't they drop the Premium SKU $100 Canadian to bring it in line with exchange rate?

This is probably up for argument, but as well I feel that the Xbox 360 bundles are better than the PS3 bundles. Both systems are getting free games in Futureshop/Best Buy bundles because of imbalances due to the high Canadian dollar, but in my opinion it seems like the 360 bundles have better games and often more games when compared to the PS3 bundles. It could be that the 360 is getting extra value because of this.

This is sort of an anecdotal and case by case thing however.

felipeko

Aleman said:
Why add PS2 sales to PS3 to spin things? If someone buys a PS2 right now than they're not very likely to buy a PS3 in a near future. And PS3 sales are what we're really concerned about.
It was just a joke... But :lol at your excuse.
Then they should take out PSP, since people can own a PSP and a PS2/PS3, but they should add Xbox360. Because if someone buys a Xbox360 right now they're not very likely to buy a PS3 in near future.

Actually, those Madden sales are pretty good. But of course, as Madden is to America, so is NHL to Canada, so next month will really show the shine.

I'd like to give the SUPER MEGA FUCKING DROPPED THE BALL Award to EA, 2K, and Nintendo for not having a Wii hockey game this year, by the way. Fucking morons.

Neomoto

You can all say what you want but it's pretty clear that even though Wii is the fastest selling console ever, the PlayStation Family stays unbeated since it's outselling your precious Wii by a fairly small margin. Numbers don't lie people.

Parl

Aleman said:
Why add PS2 sales to PS3 to spin things? If someone buys a PS2 right now than they're not very likely to buy a PS3 in a near future. And PS3 sales are what we're really concerned about.

I can add the original Xbox's August sales to Xbox 360 sales to complete their family if that'll make you feel better?

Firestorm

Still hoping for LTD GCN, XBX, PS2 so we can put the old Canadian GCN vs XBX argument to rest.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Actually, those Madden sales are pretty good. But of course, as Madden is to America, so is NHL to Canada, so next month will really show the shine.

I'd like to give the SUPER MEGA FUCKING DROPPED THE BALL Award to EA, 2K, and Nintendo for not having a Wii hockey game this year, by the way. Fucking morons.

I was pretty surprised at this too.
There should be an 08, 2K8, and of course Mario Hockey game.

Firestorm said:
Still hoping for LTD GCN, XBX, PS2 so we can put the old Canadian GCN vs XBX argument to rest.

You would think at least one of them would have stepped up. Canada = Nintendoland, Hockey = bank in Canada. HEY LET'S LEAVE MONEY ON THE TABLE! WHEEE

Firestorm

Segata Sanshiro said:
You would think at least one of them would have stepped up. Canada = Nintendoland, Hockey = bank in Canada. HEY LET'S LEAVE MONEY ON THE TABLE! WHEEE

The thing with Nintendo is that Next Level Games is located in Vancouver BC, made Super Mario Strikers and Mario Striker Charged, and developed NHL Hitz. You'd think they'd do something at least.

EA should be more than willing to stick out a port of at least the PS2 port with waggle added.

eclipze

Wow @ the 360 doubling up from last month. That price drop really did the job. For anyone that knows, what is the average % increase for Canada over Nov/Dec. That is, if they buy lots of shit over the Holidays like in the US. :D

Bioshock to Canada:
1353800602_76bc428c51_o.jpg

Culex

Banned
Amazing to still see the Wii on top in Canada. I thought for sure the 360 or PS3 would be outselling it by now.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Firestorm said:
This is the first that I've heard of this, and I can't believe it. This is one of their biggest potential revenue streams for Canadian sales, and they completely ignore it.

Otherwise, nice debut for Metroid Prime 3. I'll be sure to pick up a copy after I've finished Echoes. It's ridiculous that New Super Mario Bros is still selling what it is, and it'll probably stay that way well into the holiday season.

PlayStation Family just moved next door to me. There goes the neighborhood. You guys can yuk it up all you want, but it's no laughing matter when they live on your block.

X26

Banned
You know what's great? More and more games here in Canada cost the same as i nthe U.s

I think?

I got Bioshock and NHL08 for $59.99 when each launced, how much did they retail for in the U.S?

Althoguh Future Shop is still Future Shop, they have games such as Super Mario Galaxy listed at $69.99 :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aleman said:

"Playstation Family" doesn't mean PS2+PS3.

It means PS2+PSP+PS3.

FightyF

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

The thing is, I highly doubt that any such game would even match the high standards games like 08 and 2K8 have set. If any Canadian wants a serious hockey game, they should own a PS3/360...

FightyF said:
The thing is, I highly doubt that any such game would even match the high standards games like 08 and 2K8 have set. If any Canadian wants a serious hockey game, they should own a PS3/360...
I think the point is to generate a revenue stream from a receptive audience on the highest-selling console, and not resort to dick-wagging about which game is better on which system.

Segata Sanshiro said:

How would you handle hockey with the wiimote? I'd love to see someone pull it off, but I don't know how it would work.

I like the idea of passing with the nunchuk and one-timing with the wiimote in the other hand, but that's about as far as I got . . .

stuff said:
I think the point is to generate a revenue stream from a receptive audience on the highest-selling console, and not resort to dick-wagging about which game is better on which system.

Madden Wii just got outsold 8 to 1 by Xbox 360 in America. If the same were to happen with NHL in Canada, that means it'd get what? 30K sales? Bottom line is that people really should get another console along with Wii. Otherwise, that's their own fault. Wait until next year.

Segata Sanshiro said:

You've got a good point. There is Madden for football, NBA Live is coming out for basketball, and 2K has 2 baseball games (The Bigs & the upcoming Power-Pros) . . . but no one made an NHL title (or any hockey game at all.).

Joust Williams said:
Madden Wii just got outsold 8 to 1 by Xbox 360 in America. If the same were to happen with NHL in Canada, that means it'd get what? 30K sales?
When you are the only hockey game in a country that adores hockey, and primarily purchases Nintendo systems, I think it's worth the risk. 30k in sales? Hell, that'd be great for Canada.

Joust Williams said:
Madden Wii just got outsold 8 to 1 by Xbox 360 in America. If the same were to happen with NHL in Canada, that means it'd get what? 30K sales? Bottom line is that people really should get another console along with Wii. Otherwise, that's their own fault. Wait until next year.

Yeah, that is also a good point . . . hockey gets so little respect in the USA that I sometimes wonder why 2K bothers? APF 2K8 didn't sell well, but it will probably end up selling more copies than NHL 2K8.

Evlar

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

halftime.gif

?

Firestorm

professor_t said:
How would you handle hockey with the wiimote? I'd love to see someone pull it off, but I don't know how it would work.

I like the idea of passing with the nunchuk and one-timing with the wiimote in the other hand, but that's about as far as I got . . .

WiiMote + Nunchuck goalie would be pretty cool if they could pull it off.

Joust Williams said:
CARNIVAL GAMES would outsell NHL Wii. There's not a lot of point.

You're underestimating the fanbase for Wii and Hockey in Canada.

Um, that they decided to make Carnival Games instead? It's paying off for 2K. See, 360 owners get the hockey, Wii owners get the Carnival Games.

I mean, I wish *I* got Carnival Games, but I have to settle for NHL 2008 and 2K8.

Joust Williams said:
I wasn't really saying for myself here, as I own a 360 that I'm more than happy to play hockey on. Anyway, I think they dropped the ball on potential revenue (which porting a last-gen engine with updated rosters and tacked-on controls would surely provide), you think that somehow Madden Wii's comparatively shitty sales somehow don't result in a profit. And since my cat will recite Shakespeare and make me a five course dinner before you'd ever entertain the notion you might be wrong, we might as well leave it there.

Very similar to USA's charts. There is not the same foolish passion for Madden and DS is still stronger. Good for Metroid Corruption, considering that only 4 days are counted.

p3tran

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
"Playstation Family" doesn't mean PS2+PS3.

It means PS2+PSP+PS3.

it means PS2+PSP+PS3 for now

if things dont change I predict sdf will bundle them bravias in the playstation family npd numbers.
nothing wrong with having a big family.

Zzoram

Sho_Nuff82 said:
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Bioshock debuted at #1 in Japan.

If they gave it a chance they'd probably like it. Unfortunately, being used to only RPGs and dating sims means that FPS perspective gives them nausea and they're turned off the genre.

Zzoram said:
I can't believe people still buy GBAs, the DS is like $40 more and 10x better.
When it gets right down to it, if you're buying a kid who's 7 or under something to play games on and you expect it to get lost/destroyed, you're going to go for the cheaper deal everytime.

Top Bottom