• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doctor Who 2008 Christmas Special, 2009 Specials and Season 5 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Can't wait to see this guy in action and if he can pull it off - don't care if he looks like a douche now or whatever, I'm hopeful the costume and all that will help make him seem Doctor-y.

What's more important to me is: a) whoever the companion(s) is/are, and b) the fact that the next series has RTD nowhere near it after that deathly dull Christmas episode.

ROLL ON SPRING '10. Woo.

SupahBlah

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
Now Sally Sparrow can be the assistance...

Blink_%28Doctor_Who%29.jpg

Apparently she was freaked out by the Doctor Who fans and asked not to be considered for anything else.

Thomper

Ripclawe said:
NOT HELPING!

article-0-02F086AD000005DC-390_468x310.jpg

Not Moffat approved.
No, in the special Moffat made it very clear he did approve. He wanted to go for an older person, sure. They had dozens of actors audition, but they were blown away by Matt Smith's audition, so they picked him. He's definately not-not-approved by Moffat.

Thomper said:
No, in the special Moffat made it very clear he did approve. He wanted to go for an older person, sure. They had dozens of actors audition, but they were blown away by Matt Smith's audition, so they picked him. He's definately not-not-approved by Moffat.
Ignore this man. He's not approved by Moffat. Let's stick with that story.

sp0rsk said:
And who knows, this guy could just be a really good actor.
You're right. There is a reason they picked him. On first impression though, he simply isn't what I wanted in terms of age.

Thomper said:
IN MOFFAT I TRUST.

As long as he is a great actor, i really don't care how he looks in the end. It comes completely down to the writing and his portrayal.

I love GAF's knee-jerk reactions. After watching a bit of Party Animals (about young people in UK politics), I think the decision is warranted. A few pictures don't tell the whole story guys. :lol

Burai

shitonmychest57
SupahBlah said:
Apparently she was freaked out by the Doctor Who fans and asked not to be considered for anything else.

Good. The Internet really overreacted with the Sally Sparrow character.

Thomper

sp0rsk said:
And who knows, this guy could just be a really good actor.
The tiny bits of him they showed of his acting in the special looked pretty good. Obviously, playing the Doctor means a totally different character and who knows what kind of Doctor he will be, but the stuff they showed of his other series made it look like he can do both serious and silly roles.

Well, that, and most of his character traits are created/written by Moffat. He knows what to write. I'm sure Smith will be fine, though I can definately agree that an older Doctor would have been a nice change.

D-X

If you saw a pic of Tom Baker before seeing how he plays the role the reaction would be similar to the one that this guy is getting. He does have something of the strange about him that makes him an interesting choice, something you can only pick up on if you've seen him act, not just from photos.

He just looks like a Doctor. He's young now, but if he was to stay in the role for as long as, say, Tom Baker, he'd mature into it. I'd really like him to be the next properly charismatic Doctor.

Tim the Wiz said:
I love GAF's knee-jerk reactions. After watching a bit of Party Animals (about young people in UK politics), I think the decision is warranted. A few pictures don't tell the whole story guys. :lol
Knee-jerk reactions are half the fun! :p

I'm definitely going to check out some of his past stuff. Also, from watching the interview, i like his personality. He seems like a good fit.

Android18a said:
He just looks like a Doctor.

Not to me he doesn't.

Meh. People will bitch and moan until we see him because he kind of looks like a douche. They will or won't change their minds based on his performance.

Plenty of people in this thread bitched about Catherine Tate from before her first episode till now that she is gone.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
After watching the interview, I think he's going to do a great job.

I'm rooting for him, for now!

sp0rsk said:

The interview did make me not hate him a bit more

Stoney Mason said:
Not to me he doesn't.

Meh. People will bitch and moan until we see him because he kind of looks like a douche. They will or won't change their minds based on his performance.

Plenty of people in this thread bitched about Catherine Tate from before her first episode till now that she is gone.

to be fair, Catherine Tate hate was totally justified based on the Christmas special.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Just arrived for these news.

:/ Really, Moffat? I trust in you despite my disappointment with Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. I just hope you made the right choice.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
sp0rsk said:

Seconded, actually. He seems to have the enthusiasm Tennant had for the role, even if a bit more subdued. I think I can give him a chance.

But seriously, grow some eyebrows and cut your hair. :/

White Man

I was down at first, but after seeing the interview, I like the choice. I'm kind of glad I was surprised. It would have been anticlimactic if it had been PJ after the two months of speculation. Here's mto hoping they could do something about that hair.

Mr. Sam

Zen said:
Let's throw cannon out fora second: You wouldn't watch Doctor Who written by Moffat simply because the Doctor has a uterus? No matter how well written the scripts or how well executed the female Doctor was.

They could have a uterus. They'd just have to have undergone a sex change. The doctor is a male character. No matter how well executed, it would be a different character.

Zen

Banned
If the traits, and memories are consistent, and portrayal retains the same fundamentals, and the characters is, cannonically, 'The Doctor' than it is the same character. I seriously don't see what you're problem is.

It's like a less regressive version of "if the Doctor was black, I wouldn't watch (no matter what)".

"Why?"

"Because it isn't the same character"

Even if they turned the Doctor into a girl at some point, it would be the same character with the same fundamentals in place.

Zen

Banned
Yes, well, that makes no sense as it pertains to the current discourse. Unless, your hatred of her has tainted your perception of the entire female gender to the point were you can't stand to see a female in a position of authority/power (or something).

I was just thinking, if they can find a way to have the Daleks appear once or twice a season after they get wiped out, why can't they have the Master return with Paterson Joseph playing him this time arond?

Linkzg said:
I was just thinking, if they can find a way to have the Daleks appear once or twice a season after they get wiped out, why can't they have the Master return with Paterson Joseph playing him this time arond?

Ol' PJ is too good to ham it up enough to play the Master. That character is too one-dimensional anyway, after his last appearance I've had enough of him.

I personally would have preferred the master's motivations [for evil] to be centred around his hatred for the Doctor because of what he did in the time war. It'd have added a bit more depth to it, but RTD chose to go down the typical "I'm the master, I like doing evil shit for no reason" route.

Zen

Banned
Linkzg said:

After the Doctor cremated the Master, they show a clip of someone (the blong wife character?) fishing a ring out of the ashes. You can hear the masters voice in the background (ghostly sort of way) laughing. It's strongly implied that he'll be back, and had some sort of contingency plan.

White Man said:
Here's mto hoping they could do something about that hair.

Moffat seemed particularly keen on the hair...

I dunno, I was disappointed at first, but In Moffat We Trust.
I'm also getting a distinct Baker->Davison vibe over the next regeneration (except of course that Davison had to suffer some truly dreadful scripts).

Amir0x

Banned
I know one thing, it's a good thing Rose is out of the picture 'cause no way someone that looks like Rose would fall for that creepy looking dude

though, the interview suggests he may be a good Doctor... though not at all the Eccleston-like direction I had hoped for. I certainly don't know if I'll be able to take moments of rage and loss of control seriously from him. We'll see, the interview at least says he understands the role.

Zen

Banned
Found the clip I was referencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=935ky9L3u8U&fmt=22

I hope the Master does come back... and it seems like if they're going to go to all the trouble of rationalizing a major enemy coming back from the dead, that it's a waste to just kill them off within the same story (granted Davros is fairly cheesy so I don't mind him not coming back, especially since he's tied to the overexposed Daleks).

I can't wait to see how they'll rationalize a Dalek return 2+ years from now since they've pretty much exhausted a lot of possibilities).

Granted they brought flipping Rose back, even though that was well established to be impossible prior to it happening. Sadly she was a shadow of waht the character was in Season 1, not even a character at all really, just a 2 Dimensional archytype meant to fill a certain role (same with Mikky turning into 'generic badass'). Even Martha has suffered because she (of course) has had to be sucked into the 'cannon' of Doctor Who in some way. Let's make her a part of UNIT, they say, well, to me that just makes her less human of a character.

Referencing the big things is fine and great, but I think the season finale crossed a line. On top of 'insert mysterious military project' cliche.

Doctor Who should get back to telling well produced Sci Fi concepts, not spend its episodes wollowing about referencing the various groups and factions and deciding how best to slot in prior characters into the myrad of organizations and sides that exist in the universe. Bring it back to character/concept, not "how do we make it a cohesive universe that reminds the viewer of such".

I want to see the Universe, such as it is, grow, not constantly recycle itself while spreading out to cover more and more superfelous things like UNIT etc. Show us new enemies, and situations, Don't waste time bogging yourself down to things like UNIT/Sarah Jane Adventures/Torchwood. You don't need to contually be 'bigger better and more badass' with the stakes of the situation, either.

I mean if Moffat wasn't writing the next season, I'd be wondering how they could possibly top a threat to reality itself.

Amir0x

Banned
If they do bring the Master back, that's cool... however I don't want any more lame cop-outs like
CHANT MY NAME AND THE GOODNESS WILL BRING THE DOCTOR BACK ETC
bullshit. That shit pissed me off so goddamn hard. To me that was the worst part of any Doctor Who in any of the recent series

Xater

Amir0x said:
If they do bring the Master back, that's cool... however I don't want any more lame cop-outs like
CHANT MY NAME AND THE GOODNESS WILL BRING THE DOCTOR BACK ETC
bullshit. That shit pissed me off so goddamn hard. To me that was the worst part of any Doctor Who in any of the recent series

That was shit but other than that I really enjoyed the Master storyline. Also I hope Mofffat will not do something like that ;)

Thomper

Napoleonthechimp said:
*watches the youtube interview*

They already have scripts?
Well, only two so far. They only have six months until filming starts. By that time, there's not much time left to (re-)write stuff. Plus, there's basically two Who-production teams now: the RTD-team is working on the specials, the Moffat-team is gearing up to start Series 5. The second team has pretty much nothing else to do besides starting up Series 5, with casting, writing, finding/building sets, that sort of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom