• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

cvxfreak

ant1532 said:
yea i tried using that hori protector but quickly saw what it did to the screens and took it off.
congrats and heres your donut
DSC05845.jpg

Best donut ever! :D

ant1532

Banned
Akia said:
ant it would be awesome if everytime someone got a DSL you photoshopped a donut out.
:lol it would be awesome if i had photoshop skills too.(o have it though)
I think i might ask my sister though to teach me(she majors in graphic design)

cvxfreak

ant1532 said:
:lol it would be awesome if i had photoshop skills too.(o have it though)
I think i might ask my sister though to teach me(she majors in graphic design)

Buy a new box, and take a picture subtracting one each time. :p

Does anyone else have experience with the Hori screen protectors? I have a pack that I got for my fat DS but never opened it because I figured I'd save it for my Lite. But if drohne is right and they make a mess, I might not bother.

jamesinclair said:
I still want to know what happens if you push "turn off backlight" through ingame menus

Well, the light goes off, but unlike the normal DS where you can barely see the screen, with the Lite you see nothing, zero, zip. I tried this with Ouendan and then had to wildly stab at the screen, hoping to hit the button again.

SlayrUK

marvelharvey said:
Well, the light goes off, but unlike the normal DS where you can barely see the screen, with the Lite you see nothing, zero, zip. I tried this with Ouendan and then had to wildly stab at the screen, hoping to hit the button again.

... that's how I play Ouendan anyway!

CloudV

Battersea Power Station said:
Does anyone else have experience with the Hori screen protectors? I have a pack that I got for my fat DS but never opened it because I figured I'd save it for my Lite. But if drohne is right and they make a mess, I might not bother.

yeah, I have them and honestly no problem. I managed to put it on perfect the first time. I would think since you're putting this on to protect the screen, there's no reason to take them off. You don't take them off, no problem, right?

CloudV

Troidal said:
Stocks (although not many) are coming in every weekend, though it still sells out if you don't buy it in the morning. Sometimes, giant retailers like Yodobashi and Biccamera sell them during the evenings for some bizzarro reason.

And there's rumor around that 3 new colors: Famicom, black, and pink DS lite will be released May 25th. I can't confirm that yet though...

I believe some places sell at night because, one, it stops huge lines and stuff during the morning rush, and two, it's to allow the regular workforce and such a chance to buy it. I leave in the morning rush, and most people don't have time to do anything till after work in this country.

As for stock, I'm a Tokyo Jgaffer, and I've not seen any lite in stock for about 3 weeks, but I know they're getting them on the weekend. The white sells out first with the navy being last. When I was in Osaka two weeks ago though, Nipponbashi (denden town) had quite a stock, that actually came in saturday, and was still in stock on Sunday, when me and my friend went looking. Oddly enough, Navy sells out first in the Osaka/Kansai region.

As for current stock, I was at Bic yesterday, and oddly, the old DS, blue and pink were available, they had maybe about 100 stacked in the back, but not many people were buying them. People are waiting for the lite now I guess.

It'll be interesting as the GW holiday is starting, with quite a few sales going on.

Time to go hunt down an ultra cheap seiken densetsu DS and Dirge of Cerberus!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
hori is the official one though dammit :(

my hori psp one was ok, no residue and I heard people recommend the original hori ds ones.

are people complaiing about the new ds lite specific hori screen protectors ?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
mine were the new ds lite branded protectors -- dunno if they're any different. seems to me that a screen protector that spooges all over the screen isn't serving its purpose! the idea is to replace screen protectors periodically as they get scratched -- if you just put one on and leave it there permanently, the scratches might as well be on the screen itself.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
drohne said:
mine were the new ds lite branded protectors -- dunno if they're any different. seems to me that a screen protector that spooges all over the screen isn't serving its purpose! the idea is to replace screen protectors periodically as they get scratched -- if you just put one on and leave it there permanently, the scratches might as well be on the screen itself.

agree, this is odd, hori are usually very good. fuck, i bought 2 packs just in preparation for my ds lite.

NamGah

will a imported ds lite work in sweden(pal) with 45w ac-ac voltage converter
220-240vac / 100-120vac. The adapter worked with my imported GC so i guess it should.

help! i am in the dark.

medrew

Yeah, I didn't like the Hori screen protector for the fact it didn't fully cover the screen and my eyes would always drift to the edges where it wasn't. But for me it just peeled right off, no residue or nothing. Luck of the draw I guess.

CloudV

drohne said:

Well... to each their own I guess, I've got the hori on my psp, ds lite, and one on my jp cell phone, and none of them have scratches. if anything, it seems like it's the fact that you're ripping them off that makes it that way? I would rather have something that stays on nice and hard to get off as opposed to something that is easy to take off. Just the idea of that it's not staying on as well then, I guess.

januswon

CloudV said:
As for current stock, I was at Bic yesterday, and oddly, the old DS, blue and pink were available, they had maybe about 100 stacked in the back, but not many people were buying them. People are waiting for the lite now I guess.

It'll be interesting as the GW holiday is starting, with quite a few sales going on.

Time to go hunt down an ultra cheap seiken densetsu DS and Dirge of Cerberus!

these 2 weeks I was in Shinjuku

I have visited the Shinjuku Sakuraya and Biccamera several times including today looking for the Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11 (PC) Handbook No. 2.

I noticed that the NDS and NDS Lite were out of stock all the time.

Today at Biccamera I found the Handbook, and also bought the NDS Brain Training 1 & 2 for my wife.

CloudV

januswon said:
these 2 weeks I was in Shinjuku

I have visited the Shinjuku Sakuraya and Biccamera several times including today looking for the Romance of the Three Kingdoms 11 (PC) Handbook No. 2.

I noticed that the NDS and NDS Lite were out of stock all the time.

Today at Biccamera I found the Handbook, and also bought the NDS Brain Training 1 & 2 for my wife.

Ah, I should mention I'm in Ikebukuro, so I am always talking about the Ikebukuro bic camera. the main store, right outside the east exit (there's five in ikebukuro alone)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
NamGah said:
will a imported ds lite work in sweden(pal) with 45w ac-ac voltage converter
220-240vac / 100-120vac. The adapter worked with my imported GC so i guess it should.

help! i am in the dark.

it'll be fine. The current draw on the DS charger is tiny. And you can get EU DS lite chargers from liksang now if you want

hitsugi

ooomg this must mean nintendo officially confirmed DSL release in may like everyone's been saying for months now~!

...those cases look pretty lame imo

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jcgamer60 said:
Can anyone confirm, if the American DS download stations work well with the imported DS lite?

Can't confirm but there would be no reason why it can't.

Lee N

Membre
I like this one, USB charging cable with separate charging head for euro sockets. I also use USB chargers for all my other portables which make them very.. portable. Since I only need one "head" no matter what I bring.

usb-dslite.jpg

Lee N

Membre
Nintendo erhöht NDS Lite Produktion

04.05.06 - Nintendo hat die Produktionsmenge des Nintendo DS Lite im April 2006 in Japan etwas erhöhen können.

Wie NikkeiNet schreibt, konnten über 800.000 Einheiten des Handhels ausgeliefert werden. Das sind 100.000 St. mehr, als ursprünglich geplant. Dennoch ist die Lage angespannt und vielerorts sind keine NDS Lite zu kriegen.

www.gamefront.de

Essentially it says that Nintendo shipped 800,000 DS Lites in April 2006 instead of the planned 700,000 (and that it is still hard to get a DSL).

So LTD Nintendo has shipped about 1,350,000 DSLs in Japan, sell through is 996,546 + the last week of April.

Btw. does anybody know why gpara didn't post the software sales?

Jcgamer60

Which site is best to import from, Play asia or Lik-sang? I have ordered from lik-sang before but i was wondering if anyone has any experience with play-asia.

Jcgamer60 said:
Which site is best to import from, Play asia or Lik-sang? I have ordered from lik-sang before but i was wondering if anyone has any experience with play-asia.

Play Asia got me my Lite wicked fast.

Jcgamer60

Did you get any coupons with yours? Im not sure how the site works yet, but i have seen people ask for them at times. Would you or anyone else happen to have a spare coupon, i would greatly appreciate it.

Troidal

Despite Golden Week in Japan, stocks are continuing to come in.
Found one during the evenings too!

Blue DS lite and micro FTW!

x608rt.jpg

Ichigo

Just got my DS Lite does any one have a Play-Asia coupon so i can pick up Bleach? Send me a message if you do, and thanks!

cvxfreak

Well, I saw the Navy Blue DS Lite in person today for the first time (my friend's mom sent him his from HK).

Gorgeous. I like my white, but I would definitely have not minded getting the navy blue as well. Navy blue would perform very well in NA.

B.K.

I got mine today. It's really nice. I wish I hadn't waited this long. The only problem is that there is a pixel stuck green near the bottom of the top screen.

Jcgamer60

i recieved my white ds lite last week from play-asia. I honestly think the ds lite is the best looking handheld ever. I am also happy to report 0 dead/stuck pixels. :)

Jiggy

So are most DS Lite cases tailored only to fit the DS Lite's standard shape, or will they accommodate a DSL that has a GBA cartridge sticking out?

B.K. said:
I got mine today. It's really nice. I wish I hadn't waited this long. The only problem is that there is a pixel stuck green near the bottom of the top screen.

I have one in the top and one in the bottom screen :(

I'm unlucky, I can't remember when I last bought a handheld without a dead pixel.

Top Bottom