• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2007/2008 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
You're never gonna believe this guys. A Roma fan has only gone and stabbed an opposition supporter. I hope this is an isolated incident.

Stabbed him in the arse as well. I mean, that's just cruel. Normally you'd get sympathy if you survived a stabbing, girls would like that, but when you tell them you were stabbed...in the arse, you're just gonna get sniggers.

hadareud

The Translator
Mama Smurf said:
You're never gonna believe this guys. A Roma fan has only gone and stabbed an opposition supporter. I hope this is an isolated incident.

Stabbed him in the arse as well. I mean, that's just cruel. Normally you'd get sympathy if you survived a stabbing, girls would like that, but when you tell them you were stabbed...in the arse, you're just gonna get sniggers.
:lol

Osorio

Cornballer said:
Yeah, I hear ya. I can't believe we have to wait until the end of March. Oh well, at least that's more time for the Quakes to find someone capable of scoring. Defense is looking solid right now, but the midfield and strikers are going to need some help.
Eh, if I were you I'd just be happy to be back. However, the Quakes are looking very solid in comparison to most first year expansion squads. Me on the other hand, I want to see some moves. Last year was nicer than most but I want a playoff win at least.

WrikaWrek said:
You mean the teams who aren't playing in the champions league?

Dude you're defending a team that has passed knock off stages in past champions league by scoring one goal in the 1st round and doing NOTHING BUT defending in the second round.

It's some ironic shit that you would criticize others for defending themselfs when they are playing with one man short in the champions league.

So AH and LOL to that!

I dont think he is criticizing Inter for defending, just for being completely shit every time you got the ball.

Karakand

When an Italian squad loses this thread sees proper meltdowns.

Like I've said before, Englishmen just aren't up to the task when it comes to these.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
I've never seen Liverpool JUST DEFEND in the CL. They've always played on the counter, creating good chances themselves, like against Barca.

I'm not criticizing them for defending. I'm criticizing them for everything else. They should indeed have defended, numerous times during the game I praised their defence. They should just have, you know, tried doing things in the other half of the pitch as well. Or even just pass it in their own half. All they did was hang on for 75 minutes, immediately losing the ball and not even trying to support Ibrahimovic.

Are you kidding me? Chelsea vs Liverpool semi final anyone? Liverpool didn't do shit, they parked the bus in front of the goalkeeper for 90 minutes.

And we are in the knock off stage, playing with -1 against a team that doesn't even go full offensive and decides to put the result in the hands of luck, because even against 10 liverpool was attacking in a very unenthusiastic and slow way, so when you do this, how can you expect a team of 10 to be able to do a decent counter attack? Even against 10 liverpool was playing really freaking safe.

Mama Smurf

Karakand said:

Like I've said before, Englishmen just aren't up to the task when it comes to these.

We go into things expecting to lose. And when we win, we say "That's good, but it won't last"

Osorio said:
Eh, if I were you I'd just be happy to be back. However, the Quakes are looking very solid in comparison to most first year expansion squads.
Oh believe me, I'm happy that they're back. But that doesn't keep me from wanting them to win a few games this season. They have some money and certainly the roster space to make some additions in the next month, so I'm hoping that happens.
Me on the other hand, I want to see some moves. Last year was nicer than most but I want a playoff win at least.
There have been a lot of rumors circulating, so you'll probably end up with a few other new players before the season starts.

SupahBlah

Banned
What the fuck is this BBC? Where is North West Tonight I want to see the United fan reporter do the sport through GRIT TEETH damn you.

For some reason I have London Tonight which is bullshit.

Osorio

Cornballer said:
Oh believe me, I'm happy that they're back. But that doesn't keep me from wanting them to win a few games this season. They have some money and certainly the roster space to make some additions in the next month, so I'm hoping that happens.
Understandably, but from the look of things you should be better than Salt Lake/Chivas/Toronto in their first seasons. I'm sad you guys took Joey Video from us. You have a great keeper for an expansion team and a good coach.

Nice one, Atletico.
Soccernet said:
Megson stunned by Atletico security breach

Angry Bolton Wanderers boss Gary Megson has slammed Atletico Madrid over a potential security breach ahead of his side's UEFA Cup return in the Spanish capital on Thursday night.

Bolton officials were stunned to find their entire trip itinerary - including their flight number and arrival time, plus the name of their hotel and training schedule - pasted on Atletico's official website.

The British Embassy in Madrid are looking into the incident with the visitors - who will defend a 1-0 lead following their famous win at the Reebok Stadium last week - fearing their programme could be deliberately disrupted.

Megson said: 'This is very strange behaviour for a club of Atletico's size and status. It obviously raises serious security concerns regarding Bolton Wanderers players and staff ahead of this game.'

The incident has hardly eased tensions ahead of what is set to be another stormy encounter.

Sergio Aguero was dismissed in the first leg for spitting and striker Mista appeared fortunate to avoid punishment for the same offence.

Osorio said:
Understandably, but from the look of things you should be better than Salt Lake/Chivas/Toronto in their first seasons. I'm sad you guys took Joey Video from us. You have a great keeper for an expansion team and a good coach.
The back line isn't too shabby right now. We have enough solid veterans on defense.

Mama Smurf

WrikaWrek said:
Are you kidding me? Chelsea vs Liverpool semi final anyone? Liverpool didn't do shit, they parked the bus in front of the goalkeeper for 90 minutes.

And we are in the knock off stage, playing with -1 against a team that doesn't even go full offensive and decides to put the result in the hands of luck, because even against 10 liverpool was attacking in a very unenthusiastic and slow way, so when you do this, how can you expect a team of 10 to be able to do a decent counter attack? Even against 10 liverpool was playing really freaking safe.

No. Liverpool had lots of chances. Liverpool played the entire second half in Inter's half, their full backs became wingers. Unless the opposition are literally passing the ball around the back 4 (and even then you should be able to get it every so often), there's no excuse for the Inter being so shit in every way but defending.

Manager

Karakand, heard about the reserves? Sturridge 2 goals, Caicedo one. Cai was supposed to be great too, awesome.
Don't know why Johnson didn't play, kind of strange. No Boj either.

We've had one, inexplicable, meltdown so far, not too bad. The thing with Italians is that usually they won't support another Italian team in the CL if it ain't theirs, whereas the english tend to do so even if it's with relative disinterest. Inter fans still love Liverpool for what happened at Istanbul.

but when you tell them you were stabbed...in the arse, you're just gonna get sniggers.
hmm, good point. I think i'd say upper hamstring, just aft of a major duct. Keep it a bit vague.

Osorio

Cornballer said:
The back line isn't too shabby right now. We have enough solid veterans on defense.
What're your attacking options at this point? I haven't really looked into that. The only players from the expansion draft that caught my eye were Grabavoy and Vide.

Steroyd

Karakand said:

Agreed I thought I was bad but dayum I'm drowning in bitter tears here. :O

Lakitu

st5fu
You mean the teams who aren't playing in the champions league?

Dude you're defending a team that has passed knock off stages in past champions league by scoring one goal in the 1st round and doing NOTHING BUT defending in the second round.

It's some ironic shit that you would criticize others for defending themselfs when they are playing with one man short in the champions league.

So AH and LOL to that!

and @ Manager's inane rambling.

crying.jpg

I love the taste of bitter tears.

Karakand

Mama Smurf said:
We go into things expecting to lose. And when we win, we say "That's good, but it won't last"
Everything has trade offs. I'm quite impressed with the English stiff upper lip in the face of adversity, personally. Certainly better than cultivating this crybaby mentality like they do in the States these days.

Manager said:
Karakand, heard about the reserves? Sturridge 2 goals, Caicedo one. Cai was supposed to be great too, awesome.
Don't know why Johnson didn't play, kind of strange. No Boj either.
Yeah, sure did. (I read this blog as much as I can.) Sturz is going to be a class and I can't wait for him to be a regular in the first team.

As for Johnno and Bon Jovi, maybe Sven wants to rest them so that they'll be ready to come in for the Everton match? Bon Jovi starting up front with Benjani would make me a happy panda.

SupahBlah

Banned
celestial body said:
The thing with Italians is that usually they won't support another Italian team in the CL if it ain't theirs, whereas the english tend to do so even if it's with relative disinterest.

Arsenal sure, the rest? No chance.

Osorio said:
What're your attacking options at this point? I haven't really looked into that. The only players from the expansion draft that caught my eye were Grabavoy and Vide.
Grabavoy, Guerrero, Glinton, Kamara. The new kid Salinas is a burner on the right wing, but he's raw.

I knew of a guy who had 2 arseholes, never got the chance to ask him if they were stacked horizontal or vertical.

BTW I was looking for a picture of that scene in scary movie where it's got 'I know' on one side and a picture of a tiny nob on the other. Google has thrown up some.....unsatisfactory and possibly illegal results thus far.

Osorio

Cornballer said:
Grabavoy, Guerrero, Glinton, Kamara. The new kid Salinas is a burner on the right wing, but he's raw.
Those guys are young right? If so, proper coaching can help 'em out. Glinton improved throughout the season and I never really watched Kamara. I like Grabavoy though.

Lakitu

st5fu
Arsenal will finish the job tomorrow with a crushing defeat against AC of Milan. So then both Milans will be out and we can all rejoice.

SupahBlah

Banned
Can I just add holy shit at Italian meltdowns?

I think everyone here knows I don't really say anything but one of my friends has pre-emptive blocked me. :lol

Another she told me she won't speak to me tonight "Maybe tomorrow"

Osorio said:
Those guys are young right? If so, proper coaching can help 'em out. Glinton improved throughout the season and I never really watched Kamara. I like Grabavoy though.
Kamara is 23. Glinton is 28. Grabavoy is 24. Guerrero is 30. I haven't seen much of any of them. The Quakes are apparently looking for a DP or international striker to put up top.

Osorio

Cornballer said:
Kamara is 23. Glinton is 28. Grabavoy is 24. Guerrero is 30. I haven't seen much of any of them. The Quakes are apparently looking for a DP or international striker to put up top.
Well Grabavoy and Kamara are fine. Honestly, I don't think you'll make the playoffs but you won't be horrible either.

Karakand

SupahBlah said:
Can I just add holy shit at Italian meltdowns?

I think everyone here knows I don't really say anything but one of my friends has pre-emptive blocked me. :lol

Another she told me she won't speak to me tonight "Maybe tomorrow"
Dude they're so much fun though. I remember putting a hole through a wall in the house I grew up in once during one (for a different sport though).

Mama Smurf

Karakand said:
Everything has trade offs. I'm quite impressed with the English stiff upper lip in the face of adversity, personally. Certainly better than cultivating this crybaby mentality like they do in the States these days.

I dunno, sometimes I think we can't be fully happy in this country, even when things go good. Like you guys have American Idol and when someone gets through they all jump around, screaming, hugging...we're much more reserved. Almost no one bowls out of the room screaming on X-Factor. We're already thinking "I better not get too happy, chances are I won't get through boot camp (Hollywood equvialent)".

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Holy shit the goal in the real madrid game that beat casillas is the most unsavable thing I've ever seen. Two yards from the line and his own player roofs it. Insanity.

Guardian weekly got the liverpool game right. the Scot said something like "oh i'm sure liverpool will grind out some appalling 1 or 2 nil. just think, if they go through and chelsea will, they could meet in the champions league. the real question is, does god hate us enough for that to happen?"

also fuck the irvine company they make shitty apartments and i'll never rent one no matter what.

Lakitu

st5fu
QVT said:
Holy shit the goal in the real madrid game that beat casillas is the most unsavable thing I've ever seen. Two yards from the line and his own player roofs it. Insanity.

Guardian weekly got the liverpool game right. the Scot said something like "oh i'm sure liverpool will grind out some appalling 1 or 2 nil. just think, if they go through and chelsea will, they could meet in the champions league. the real question is, does god hate us enough for that to happen?"

also fuck the irvine company they make shitty apartments and i'll never rent one no matter what.

Grind it out? Did you even see the game? It could have been 4 or 5 - 0. Grind it out. Some of you are ridiculous.

Karakand

Mama Smurf said:
I dunno, sometimes I think we can't be fully happy in this country, even when things go good.
Naw that's not true. It's just... tempered happiness.

QVT said:
At least they pay their bills on time when you have your purchase order numbers in order. Arnell (the other larger Orange County apartment consortium) was a fucking pain in the ass when I did collections for a glass company.

QVT

:lol :lol :lol

Kkkarakkk, you know that you hate the apartments themselves though. so yucky and sterile. no heart!

Lakitu said:
Arsenal will finish the job tomorrow with a crushing defeat against AC of Milan. So then both Milans will be out and we can all rejoice.

I hope so!
Forza Arsenal!
Fateci sognare mitici Gunners!
Prevedo un sette o otto a zero per l'Arsenal, goal di Fabregas e, ummm, Fabregas.
Ecco, si, Fabregas segnera' come minimo 2 o tre goal.
Caro il mio Milan, preparati a piangere lacrime amare.
Mio Dio, sara' un massacro.
Gli inglesi ci faranno a pezzi.

Mama Smurf said:
No. Liverpool had lots of chances. Liverpool played the entire second half in Inter's half, their full backs became wingers.

Aww dude, stop it please.
I know everybody loves fanfics and shit, but you are talking about Liverpool.
Liverpool, dude.
Come on, a victory against a ten men team with a penalty It's not such a great demonstation of playing soccer.
And when you think that team was Internazionale F.C., well, it's like a kid with lens hand during a sunny morning against some ants.

QVT

Well see I think Liverpool played
appalling football, but they ended up getting a 2
nil win. I mean, it was at home so it's only really worth one goal but since you start
with minus one goals it is a good thing.
Even if they are Liverpool, "The Exporters" it is like headphones going on a guys head but his head is too big.

Galolaxy.
The Offside Rules said:
LA Galaxy have got issues. Salary cap issues to be specific. With El Pescadito, Goldenballs, and Landycakes taking up half of the estimated $2.3 million salary cap, they're going to have to make some American Idol-style eliminations when when they return from their swing through Hawaii & Asia. LA Daily Breeze writer Billy Witz suggests that it's the guys in the middle of the salary pack that will get their walking papers; Chris Klein ($187,250), Abel Xavier ($156,000), Edson Buddle ($150,000), midfielder Peter Vagenas ($131,875) Ante Jazic ($114,000) and maybe even new-boy Greg Vanney ($236,000) who has yet to even suit up for the Gals, who have arrived in Honolulu.

Who do I have my money on? I don't know if it's likely but if I it were me I'd have Edson Buddle out on the first boat back to mainland because he is straight up bunk. I'd also probably use Vagenas or Klein as trade bait. But what do I know...

QVT

Stupid galaxy. They're going to end up being able to field 6 players and MLS will have to raise the salary cap for them. You know it'll happen.

Osorio

QVT said:
Stupid galaxy. They're going to end up being able to field 6 players and MLS will have to raise the salary cap for them. You know it'll happen.
No doubt. I can't believe they're able to have Donovan, Beckham, and Ruiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom