• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Idle Master Thread - Get your Steam Trading Cards the Easy Way

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm not doing this simply because it screws up my gametime. I know, terrible reason, but I like to keep that as accurate as possible.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Unless you care about every game's gametime, I guess you could just blacklist the ones you know you are going to play and extract the money out of the duds.

Sometimes Steam seems to stop tracking my game time and awarding cards even though it shows me in game. I need to restart Idle Master to get it going again. I don't need to change anything in settings, my session is the same. I have no clue what's causing the issue, maybe it's switching from one game to the other too quickly or something?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
back home

this time the start.exe runs like normal and tells me how many games with cards left and how it's going to idle game X

but the steam-idle app doesn't seem to run here for some reason ? and steam doesn't show me in-game

edit: nevermind, a system restart was all that was needed :p

danielcw

I have been idling "Anodyne" for over an hour,
without any card drop?

Is it an error on my side, or normal behaviour, or has something else changed

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I wrote a small Python script, that should do idling on all platforms. It's not a complete program, but just idles in Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2 for a few seconds.

I would appreciate a few tests on different platforms, especially on OSX. If it works well, maybe jshackles could reuse some stuff.

You can download it here: https://github.com/mlstnr/idle_test

My flight was delayed a day, so I haven't even had a chance to give any of this a try. If no one else does, I'll definitely give your script a try on OS X and an Ubuntu VM in the next day or so.

As for sharing with jshackles, maybe figure out how to incorporate it directly and submit a pull request? GitHub has good solutions for tracking suggested changes/PRs bulti in. If you've never done this sort of thing before, PM me and I can walk you through.

Is this ok? I ran it, it did´nt open a pop up window with the game cover like in the video and it says this.

ARi0kIm.png

Edit: Nvm, i just tried run it with administrator privileges and it worked.

Joe Molotov

Really? Shit, people have been thinking I've been playing weird shit all day non-stop. Knowing this could've saved me having to explain this. Oh well.

"Why are you playing Sexy Beach 2?"

"Uhhhh....I was just idling it for cards. Idle Master just randomly picked it haha, so random."

Milchmann

Finished my multi-platform fork: https://github.com/mlstnr/idle_master

I tested the program on Windows 8 64 bit and Arch Linux 64 bit and it works on both platforms. For Windows users there is nothing exciting, because it does the same stuff as the original program.

I tried to run it in an OS X VM but only got errors loading the Steam API library in the program. I don't know if it's bug in the program, in Python on OS X or in the VM.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member

I tested the program on Windows 8 64 bit and Arch Linux 64 bit and it works on both platforms. For Windows users there is nothing exciting, because it does the same stuff as the original program.

I tried to run it in an OS X VM but only got errors loading the Steam API library in the program. I don't know if it's bug in the program, in Python on OS X or in the VM.

I'm getting the following crash after every game it tries to load:

rFCKtIY.png

Firehead

Just wanted to say cheers for this. Up to $12 so far, so I bought Killer is Dead with it. I should have enough built up for the new SFIV as well. Woop!

Erekiddo

This utility was working flawlessly until this morning. Now it's playing a game for 30 minutes and skipping to the next one. It's not waiting until the cards are depleted before moving on.

Anyone else having this issue? Or am I just stupid.

Edit: Reading the thread, it seems I'm not the only one. I'll update my cookie data tonight, I'm currently at work and it's running at home.

All I keep getting is a "Error setting cookies." No idea whatsoever as to what I'm doing wrong.

Without thinking I had deleted the "steamparental" line, that's what screwed it up whoops.

juxtapose

Yup, I have 3 hours of gametime in a few games I've never played. don't really care. More annoying is all the people asking "how is that game" while I'm idling. Steam needs a "farming for cards" status. They did this to us.

Switch your status to "offline" and save yourself the grief :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This utility was working flawlessly until this morning. Now it's playing a game for 30 minutes and skipping to the next one. It's not waiting until the cards are depleted before moving on.

Anyone else having this issue? Or am I just stupid.

Edit: Reading the thread, it seems I'm not the only one. I'll update my cookie data tonight, I'm currently at work and it's running at home.

I had this happen the other day, and the issue turned out to be that my cookie data had expired (and when opening Steamcommunity.com in Chrome, I was not logged in).

To fix it all I had to do was log back into steamcommunity.com in Chrome, then Idle Master began working again as expected.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o

rFCKtIY.png

FWIW, I can confirm the same.

On native OS X 10.9.4, I'm getting exactly that, on a slightly newer rev of Python (2.7.7). I only had a bit to look, but it just looks like it is loading the dylib just fine, but for some reason the SteamAPI_Init() call is bombing out. Your Python code looks fine to me. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the Steamworks API, so I can't offer much more than that for now until I really dig in. I'm hoping there's some way to get some more verbose errors from the SteamAPI_Init call.

In better news, I had an ISO of Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop on my drive, so I spun up a VM with defaults. The multiprocessing branch worked fine with a simple `python start_gui.py` once I made sure I had all the pre-req libraries installed. So, as expected, your method seems to work fine across distros.

AkuMifune

Banned
Blood Dragon just refusing to drop anything. Guess I'll have that one remaining for a while.

Even in death you curse me from the grave UPlay!

Hanzou

This morning it would show the App ID and the name of the game that was idling, not it is just showing the same name. This does not matter in the least but is it supposed to show the app id and name, or just the name. Seems weird to me it just all of a sudden changed after idling for the first game.

Also does it find a game at random to idle for every time you run it? The first time I raan it I closed it before it had all the cards for the game and when I restarted it went to a new game. Now it it seems to go back to the same game every time I restart.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This morning it would show the App ID and the name of the game that was idling, not it is just showing the same name. This does not matter in the least but is it supposed to show the app id and name, or just the name. Seems weird to me it just all of a sudden changed after idling for the first game.

Also does it find a game at random to idle for every time you run it? The first time I raan it I closed it before it had all the cards for the game and when I restarted it went to a new game. Now it it seems to go back to the same game every time I restart.

Just to answer a few of your questions - if Idle Master encounters a game with a weird character such as a copyright or trademark symbol, it will only say "app 392328" or whatever. This is because Python 2.7 doesn't have very good support for unicode characters and can't display them without either throwing an error or being strangely formatted.

As for the order of games: if you don't set a sorting option in the settings.txt file, Idle Master will simply go straight down the list of games that need idled from this page. The order of the badges on this page typically stays the same, but can change based on how many cards you have of a particular set or other factors.

Damaniel

Banned
25 card drops remaining

Yessss. Final stretch!

I've been running it at night for the last few days and usually wake up with between 12-15 cards. I still have 190 games to go... :(

(I did start with 213 games, so I'm making progress. It's just that I started with so many...)

garath

I can't confirm this yet, but I think logging into Steam community from another PC while idlemaster is running will cause the next game in the idle queue to fail.

I idled all night without issue, checked on it in the morning, then went to work. Right around the time I logged into steam from work (just the web page), I stopped getting cards. Went home for lunch and saw it was spitting out an error (I apologize, didn't write down the error). I stopped and restarted it but it kept telling me I had no cards left. Re-logged into steam community on my home PC in chrome, then re-entered the cookie info in the settings.txt (I think it was exactly the same) and restarted idlemaster and it worked. Went back to work, logged into Steam community again. I got another couple cards from the same game it was on when I left, then none since. I'll check it when I get home but I suspect it is the same error again.

edit: Yep. Confirmed. After logging in at work, it fails at the home machine with the error - "Still unable to find drop info." I had to re-log into SteamCommunity through Chrome (strangely enough triggering my Steam Guard) and it started working again with a restart.

Ultimadrago

82 games left.

Man, I never cared about cards before, but with this app I suddenly do!

I've made a nice chunk of change off it thus far. It'll be useful for the next Steam sale (assuming I can't that Steam game for even cheaper from a non-Steam retailer).

BPoole

Finished all my games. Only got 1 foil card, but I made $16 total, which another dollar or two still out for sale. By the time I get all the booster packs for these games, I'll make roughly $30-35

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Mine closes right away and I can't figure out why.

EDIT: Got the older version working. The newer version won't work with the exact same config. Probably cause I deleted steamparental and sort.

115 games to idle : O

Aaron

Mine closes right away and I can't figure out why.

EDIT: Got the older version working. The newer version won't work with the exact same config. Probably cause I deleted steamparental and sort.

115 games to idle : O
Meh, that's nothing. I've been idling for the past few days, and still have 230 games to go. Damned bundles.

jost

Neo Member
Is it normal to not get all of the cards? I may have missed a post but it will get like 3 of 5 and say no more card drops remaining.

Aaron

Is it normal to not get all of the cards? I may have missed a post but it will get like 3 of 5 and say no more card drops remaining.
That's how the system works. You need to buy or trade for the rest of the cards to craft the badge. Or just sell your cards on the market.

jost

Neo Member
That's how the system works. You need to buy or trade for the rest of the cards to craft the badge. Or just sell your cards on the market.

That's what I thought...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Cheddahz

Banned
8w2Do6V.png

I keep on getting this whenever I start up Idlemaster (it was working perfectly fine for me until a few days ago). I've updated all of my information under "settings" and I decided to download the newest version of Idlemaster and I'm still stuck with this message

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, jshackles, this has been working out great!

Sometimes Steam seems to stop tracking my game time and awarding cards even though it shows me in game. I need to restart Idle Master to get it going again. I don't need to change anything in settings, my session is the same. I have no clue what's causing the issue, maybe it's switching from one game to the other too quickly or something?

Just an update on this, it seems to have been working pretty well since I posted about this problem. Maybe Steam was just having some hiccups at the time. I'm also using the cookie data from Firefox instead since that's my primary browser. I check Steam itself from my browser fairly often so maybe that helps keep my session active? Dunno!

Anyway, thanks! 2/3 of the way through all my games!

Milchmann

http://i.imgur.com/rFCKtIY.png?1?5532[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="BreakyBoy, post: 124016012"]FWIW, I can confirm the same.

On native OS X 10.9.4, I'm getting exactly that, on a slightly newer rev of Python (2.7.7). I only had a bit to look, but it just looks like it is loading the dylib just fine, but for some reason the SteamAPI_Init() call is bombing out. Your Python code looks fine to me. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the Steamworks API, so I can't offer much more than that for now until I really dig in. I'm hoping there's some way to get some more verbose errors from the SteamAPI_Init call.

In better news, I had an ISO of Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop on my drive, so I spun up a VM with defaults. The multiprocessing branch worked fine with a simple `python start_gui.py` once I made sure I had all the pre-req libraries installed. So, as expected, your method seems to work fine across distros.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys. So it wasn't the VM that caused the crash. I did some reading and multiprocessing in Python on OS X is strange and error-prone. Therefore I ditched that approach and just focused on porting steam-idle to other platforms. That was way easier.

So there is a working port for OS X and Linux (At least for platforms I tested: OS X 10.6.8, Lubuntu 14.04 32 bit and Arch Linux 64 bit). Download it here: [url]https://github.com/mlstnr/idle_master[/url]

The folder Release should contain everything you need. There are only minimal modifications to jshackles' original program. The features and instructions are identical.

jshackles

Thanks guys. So it wasn't the VM that caused the crash. I did some reading and multiprocessing in Python on OS X is strange and error-prone. Therefore I ditched that approach and just focused on porting steam-idle to other platforms. That was way easier.

So there is a working port for OS X and Linux (At least for platforms I tested: OS X 10.6.8, Lubuntu 14.04 32 bit and Arch Linux 64 bit). Download it here: https://github.com/mlstnr/idle_master

The folder Release should contain everything you need. There are only minimal modifications to jshackles' original program. The features and instructions are identical.

Awesome work. I saw your pull request on Git hub too thanks for that.

I'm out of town until Saturday but once I'm back I'll do some testing of my own in OSX and Linux and merge that code in.

Thanks again for your assistance!

colui

Just wanted to thank you for this program, I sold all the cards and now I have over 20€ to spend in more games that I'll never play.

HariKari

Wonder who'll modify and use this to idle game time instead of cards.

Drunken F00l made a TF2 program that ran it in text mode and idled for you when the drop system first came out. Valve dubbed it a cheat, removed all the items, gave items to those that didn't cheat, and hired DF.

Not sure how they feel about this system.

Top Bottom