• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Idle Master Thread - Get your Steam Trading Cards the Easy Way

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hey shackles, I don't think the most recent update got pushed to the OS X branch.

I'm working on getting a proper build environment set up so that the Linux version will update with the source code, the Windows version will update with pyinstaller, and the OS X version will update with py2app. Hopefully soon I'll have the whole process more or less automated.

Any chance of an option to have IM re-check card values between game switches?

Edit: If this already happens, then feel free to laugh at me, haha.

Right now, Idle Master simply gets these values when it starts up.

Corrosivefrost and I are scheming on a way to make Idle Master re-check your badges (and if you have "mostvalue" as your sort rule, this will re-grab the card price data) between games or every 2-3 games.

So, it's in the works. :)

Just wanted to post to say Thanks J Shackles, this is a really good program. Its probably going to cost me a lot of money though as I tend to always want to finish badges rather than sell the cards :)

Thanks again!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just a small update for today (in preparation of a bigger one later) but Idle Master will now display how long it idles each game once it's complete.

In the future I plan on having the ability for you to upload this information (anonymously) so that we can start to build an aggregate database of approximately how long it takes for each game to drop it's cards. This data would then be used in yet another future update for Idle Master to give you an approximate time to completely idle all of your games.

wilflare

Just a small update for today (in preparation of a bigger one later) but Idle Master will now display how long it idles each game once it's complete.

In the future I plan on having the ability for you to upload this information (anonymously) so that we can start to build an aggregate database of approximately how long it takes for each game to drop it's cards. This data would then be used in yet another future update for Idle Master to give you an approximate time to completely idle all of your games.

darn :/ would have to participate

but I woke up to IDLEM@ster completion of all my card drops :/
I used IDLEM@ster at release (when it was limited to just the Steam OT) with almost 900 drops... and now it's 0

7sYLFIr.png

Another IDLEM@STER success story. Thanks <3

Hey man, just wanted say thank you. The program worked flawlessly and I ended up making about 24 bucks. Not bad at all. So thanks man.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Right now, Idle Master simply gets these values when it starts up.

Corrosivefrost and I are scheming on a way to make Idle Master re-check your badges (and if you have "mostvalue" as your sort rule, this will re-grab the card price data) between games or every 2-3 games.

So, it's in the works. :)

Great, cheers. :) It'll be most helpful for those who leave IM running overnight.

jshackles

I've started a Steam Group for Idle Master users:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/idlemastery

Of course, feel free to post here as well with anything you need. Just thought it might be another fun way for people to connect.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Heh, nice group url :p

Joined! (also I'm currently idling so it seemed appropriate XD)

Wapcaplet

Neo Member
Would it be possible to list the number of card drops remaining in the output screen/log at the start of a game's idle process? Perhaps adding a line like "XXX has Y card drops remaining" right after the "Starting game XXX to idle cards" line and before the "Sleeping for 15 minutes" line?

Thanks!

Asgaro

This works wonderful, jshackles, thank you!

I use the blacklist since I only want to idle 11 particular games, and all is going well. :)

EDIT: dunno whether it's noteworthy, but 2 games don't get their title displayed:
App 204450 and App 8930

idlemaster2.PNG

jshackles

This works wonderful, jshackles, thank you!

EDIT: dunno whether it's noteworthy, but 2 games don't get their title displayed:
App 204450 and App 8930]

Awesome, glad it's working for you. Also the games that are showing up as App 204450 and App 8930 are that way because their names contain characters (like copyright or trademark symbols) that your command prompt can't properly display - so it's no big deal.

I have a hunch the new Steam update broke Idle master.

It instantly returns 0 cards to idle for...
I updated the cookie info and still got bupkiss.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I have a hunch the new Steam update broke Idle master.

It instantly returns 0 cards to idle for...
I updated the cookie info and still got bupkiss.

Works fine for me on OS X:

lS7qip6.png

I opt-in to the beta client updates, FWIW. I'll check on my Windows box in a few hours if no one else does it.

Maniac

Banned
Having a problem installing this on a mates computer (Windows 8.1 I believe) I start it up, the CMD opens and then closes in less than a full second. Took me about 30 tries figuring out that it said something like "Can't load frozen modules", anyone got a clue as to what the error is?

Dolor

Any idea if it would be easy to update this to just run this on games within a certain category? My only hesitation is that I like to track my game time, and for games I am actually going to play, I don't want time artificially racked up on it before I have played it.

Maniac

Banned
Any idea if it would be easy to update this to just run this on games within a certain category? My only hesitation is that I like to track my game time, and for games I am actually going to play, I don't want time artificially racked up on it before I have played it.
Don't know about the category bit, however I do know that Steam's time-tracker isn't very accurate at all. Which is incredibly odd as it's an easy feature to create >_<'

elzafir

Neo Member
Hey guys, any idea why the game pop-up doesn't pop up?
It stays like this for 15 minutes and then idle again for 15 minutes.

QU8FYze.png

jshackles

It's close enough that I much prefer it to nothing.

I don't know if I'll be able to get anything set up to filter out (or filter to) certain Steam categories, since games on the badge progress page (where Idle Master gets it's info) don't list this info.

Hey guys, any idea why the game pop-up doesn't pop up?
It stays like this for 15 minutes and then idle again for 15 minutes.

QU8FYze.png

Try running Idle Master as an administrator.

jshackles

I made a small update that lists the number of drops remaining on a game when it first starts idling, and (if you're running it under Windows) the Idle Master window itself will update to let you know what game you're idling and how many card drops are remaining.

This way if you keep the app minimized, you can keep tabs on how things are going without actually opening it up to look.

flowsnake

I made a small update that lists the number of drops remaining on a game when it first starts idling, and (if you're running it under Windows) the Idle Master window itself will update to let you know what game you're idling and how many card drops are remaining.

This way if you keep the app minimized, you can keep tabs on how things are going without actually opening it up to look.

Good idea in theory, but...

kIcmP2O.png

I'm curious about how your setup allows you to read it easily (I'm probably missing something obvious).

Coreda

Love this update. Does Idle Master also have some setting that can disable the in-game banner window opening? I usually close it anyway.

I'm curious about how your setup allows you to read it easily (I'm probably missing something obvious).

It allows you to hover over the taskbar item to glance at the progress.

idlemastertaskbarcardlqsuc.png

Coreda

Double posting, but I've seem to have come across a bug.

I asked in the Steam thread if it was normal to take 4+ hours for a single card to drop, and from the replies it obviously wasn't normal. The Steam Library was also only reporting 6 minutes played, when the idling was much longer.

I've since discovered what appears to have caused the issue - closing the 'You're Now In-Game' window after Idle Master started idling. This didn't seem to affect card drops in other games prior to this, but for the current game I'm idling - Euro Truck Simulator 2 - it only began dropping the first card when I left that second window open. I had restarted the client and Idle Master a few times after the initial post, and closed the secondary window each time, same result - no drop. Leaving the window open however resulted in the correct idle time in Steam and a card drop.

jshackles

Double posting, but I've seem to have come across a bug.

I asked in the Steam thread if it was normal to take 4+ hours for a single card to drop, and from the replies it obviously wasn't normal. The Steam Library was also only reporting 6 minutes played, when the idling was much longer.

I've since discovered what appears to have caused the issue - closing the 'You're Now In-Game' window after Idle Master started idling. This didn't seem to affect card drops in other games prior to this, but for the current game I'm idling - Euro Truck Simulator 2 - it only began dropping the first card when I left that second window open. I had restarted the client and Idle Master a few times after the initial post, and closed the secondary window each time, same result - no drop. Leaving the window open however resulted in the correct idle time in Steam and a card drop.

The second window is the process that's emulating the game which is reporting to Steam that you're playing it. If you close the second window that pops up, it's just like closing a game - Steam will think you're no longer playing.

I'm not sure how it worked for you before, but you'll need to leave that window open if you want cards to drop.

jshackles

Idle Master 0.5 has been released.

https://github.com/jshackles/idle_master

This version should work with the new badge page layout and pagination. If anyone runs into any issues, please let me know.

Dolor

I don't know if I'll be able to get anything set up to filter out (or filter to) certain Steam categories, since games on the badge progress page (where Idle Master gets it's info) don't list this info.

Just went out there, and the blacklist functionality is more than sufficient for my purposes.

Thanks for this program, JShackles. You are truly a king among men (and women).

Unfortunately I have an issue.

After a few successful sessions of usage, suddenly the game simulating process seems to -terminate seconds after being launched. I don't see a window with the game banner nor is my Steam status changed, but steam-idle.exe does appear for a moment on the task manager's list if I watch that while launching the start process. Then it disappears.

Does anybody have an idea what is going on?

EDIT: The problem disappeared as suddenly as it started. Sorry for bothering you.

aY227

Here's a screenshot of what I'm working on:

IoQdXKx.png

EDIT: And - it's live.

EDIT EDIT: and now it will also log all output to idlemaster.log (this will help us troubleshoot issues that come up)

Gooosh!

Program worked for me few weeks ago, and today all I saw is that error.
After about 30 minutes of updating cookies/settings and reading FAQ it turned out that Norton Iternet Security deleted steam-idle.exe and I didnt noticed it :/

And about idle master - amazing stuff, such a time saver - thank You so much for all Your work.

Armaly

I can't seem to find the steamid cookie in my steam community folder. I can only see sessionid, language, and steam cc.

Ok the same error kept happening again, and thru trial and error I've found logging out and then in again on the steam storefront page, not the steam community page seems to fix it for me.

I can't seem to find the steamid cookie in my steam community folder. I can only see sessionid, language, and steam cc.

Maybe delete cookies and let new ones be created.

Might have to verify steamguard thru email again.

Top Bottom