• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jan 2010 NBA Season Thread of you can't take the Bullets out of Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
n 1995, owner Abe Pollin announced he was changing the team's name because Bullets had acquired violent overtones that had made him increasingly uncomfortable over the years, particularly given the high homicide and crime rate in the early 1990s in Washington, D.C. The final straw was the assassination of his longtime friend, Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin. A contest was held to choose a new name and the choices were narrowed to the Dragons, Express, Stallions, Sea Dogs, or Wizards. On May 15, 1997, the Bullets officially became the Washington Wizards. The change generated some controversy because Washington is a predominantly African-American city and Wizard is a rank in the Ku Klux Klan.

So, how's that working out for ya, Washington?

NEW YORK — Washington Wizards teammates Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other during a Christmas Eve locker room argument over a gambling debt, according to The New York Post.

Citing an anonymous source, the newspaper reports in Friday's edition that the standoff was sparked when Crittenton became angry at Arenas for refusing to make good on a gambling debt. That prompted Arenas to draw on Crittenton, who then also grabbed for a gun, league security sources tell the Post.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/01/arenas-crittenton-guns-ga_n_408978.html

espnlol.gif

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=OffseasonPredictions09-TeamTurnaround

espnlol2.gif

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=OffseasonPredictions09-EastStandings

espnlol3.gif

Thanks, ESPN!

Happy New Year!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
why do you keep posting pictures of Wade with Weed smoke all around him

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Guys, I have a friend who works for the wiz. He got this picture of gil during the incident. Pretty crazy...

20071011_gilberthalo.jpg

reilo

BREAKING: #Blazers' Steve Blake hospitalized with pneumonia. He is expected to be out for a few days; out indefinitely.
What the fuck?? This shit is getting surreal now. Hope he gets better soon.

commish

Gil is now saying that the Post got the story wrong and he might sue them.

"That's not the real story," said Arenas. "I saw the story. Very compelling. Some real O.K. Corral stuff."

:lol

Amazing thread title. Back from vacation (actually went to the Caribbean instead of socal, maad tan) and just finished watching the recorded Spurs games in that time.

So....pheenix, cerrius, how my ass taste?

back to backs should be removed from the league ffs

" A contest was held to choose a new name and the choices were narrowed to the Dragons, Express, Stallions, Sea Dogs, or Wizards. "

If only they had called themselves the DC Sea Dogs this all could have been avoided. I mean, that's so clearly the winner out of that group.

reilo

LiveFromKyoto said:
" A contest was held to choose a new name and the choices were narrowed to the Dragons, Express, Stallions, Sea Dogs, or Wizards. "

If only they had called themselves the DC Sea Dogs this all could have been avoided. I mean, that's so clearly the winner out of that group.
I think Express could have given us far more joke material.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
The Wolves were almost called the Polars or something similarly awful. Moral of the story: don't let fans choose the name.

commish

LiveFromKyoto said:

Sea Dogs is the best. It makes the least amount of sense. I would love to see those uniforms.

reilo said:
I think Express could have given us far more joke material.

Sea Dogs has the whole "makes no sense whatsoever" thing going for it. They would have had like Captain Highliner on their jerseys or something and a badass "yo we ball like crusty old sailors on a boat" ad campaign. They could have a night where they appreciate Washington DC's deep sea-going heritage where nothing happens. There's just so much to get behind here.

Blackface

Banned
commish said:
Say that to his face, son. He'll smoke you fo' real.

He must feel like he has no man hood left to pull a stunt like that. I am sure if Shaq wasn't fucking his wife he wouldn't have had to prove he is a THUGGGGGGGGGG.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Millionaires drawing down on each over what's probably pocket change for them.

I want the details on how they backed down. Charmin ass Gil was probably pissing his pants.

commish

K.Jack said:
Millionaires drawing down on each over what's probably pocket change for them.

I want the details on how they backed down. Charmin ass Gil was probably pissing his pants.

Caron Butler probably just beat the shit out of both of them.

reilo

I just realized it's been exactly one year since I unveiled this:

djmag.jpg

numble

commish said:
I pray to the jesus that this allows the Wiz to back out of Gil's contract. PLEASE OH PLEASE LET THERE BE A NO GUNPLAY CLAUSE
Looks like there is a clause that could fit, but it has never ever been invoked in the past.
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/01/01/dont-expect-the-wizards-to-shed-gilbert-arenass-contract/

And while, yes, every NBA player's contract has a clause permitting teams to void deals based on bad behavior (of which drawing a gun on a teammate at practice surely qualifies), it never happens, and it won't here. Whether teams feel they can't get away with voiding contracts (players can appeal, in which case the matter goes to arbitration), or whether teams don't want the stigma attached (possibly deterring free agent acquisitions), it just doesn't happen.

jjasper

Rodeo Clown said:
The Wolves were almost called the Polars or something similarly awful. Moral of the story: don't let fans choose the name.

The Grizz were almost called the express till the NBA decided corporations could dictate names, but hey they but grizzly bears in the zoo so now there are actual grizzlies in Memphis.

diehard

Fleer
commish said:
what a terrible game by Deron last night. Those two franchises are going in opposite directions. Utah should try for Wall.
Deron scored the last 4 FG's for Utah i believe, and caused 2 turnovers on Durant when defending him on the switch at the end. Westbrook went 3-12. Wall can play the 2 though.

ollin

linsivvi said:
I thought suspended players don't get paid anyway. They don't need to void his contract, he just won't be paid for however long he's suspended, no?
Yeah his salary is not paid during suspension. His contract still has quite a few years left remaining. It would be wise for them to at least try since Agent Zero hasn't been playing anywhere close to what his current salary is.

numble

linsivvi said:
I thought suspended players don't get paid anyway. They don't need to void his contract, he just won't be paid for however long he's suspended, no?
I think I heard the money goes to the league, same as fines, to be distributed to charities or something.

Rodeo Clown said:

Other potential names for the Magic included the Tropics or the Juice.

The Orlando Juice with an orange for a mascot would be sick.

giri

linsivvi said:

Whilst they wouldn't be paying him, his salary would count against their cap i presume. Meaning they'd still be in luxury tax land.

Zep

Banned
Amazing that Raptors fans don't remember this

2001 said:
TORONTO – Toronto's Charles Oakley was suspended for one game without pay and fined $10,000 Tuesday for confronting Philadelphia's Tyrone Hill and striking him in the head with a basketball following the morning shootaround.

Before a preseason game, Oakley slapped Hill and both were ejected.

"Every time we play each other Oakley says something about Hill," Philadelphia's Eric Snow said. "He'll say 'Where's Hill at?"'

"I haven't decided on anything yet," Wilkens said. "If it's a personal thing, or something that needs to be settled, it shouldn't be brought to the court."

It was over a money bet :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ephemeris said:
I hope they were wrong, for his sake.
I know I talk a lot of trash about Gilbert (lol Wiz, choke artist, Agent Zero Heart, etc...), but I hope he isn't dumb enough to pull this stunt.

Thing is, between the fact that arena security got involved and the whole report sounding like the account of a person who witnessed the altercation, I believe the story.

I do question why security wouldn't have called immediately called the police though. Attempted cover up that got leaked?

Zep said:
Amazing that Raptors fans don't remember this

It was over a money bet :lol

Oh we remember, Oak is a bonafide Raptor legend - this is a hockey town, people love that stuff. He even called half a game this year...well okay, he mostly just talked about himself while the game went on in the background but it was still cool.

He once told a Toronto Star reporter "pimpin' ain't easy, pimpin' ain't dead, the hoes is just scared." That same reporter still brings it up every year. I guess that's the kind of thing you just don't forget.

He was on the Raptors when he made his famous claim that "you got guys out there playing high every night, you got 60% of your league on marijuana. What can you do?"

The list of awesome/hilarious things Oakley did when he was in TO is a long one. Top 10 all time Raptor for sure.

Ephemeris

K.Jack said:
I know I talk a lot of trash about Gilbert (lol Wiz, choke artist, Agent Zero Heart, etc...), but I hope he isn't dumb enough to pull this stunt.

Thing is, between the fact that arena security got involved and the whole report sounding like the account of a person who witnessed the altercation, I believe the story.

I do question why security wouldn't have called immediately called the police though. Attempted cover up that got leaked?

It would be messed up if that's the case. To hell with a suspension, could he be looking at prison over this? Considering the U.S. Attorney’s Office is also doing an investigation.

Hope everything gets resolved in a timely manner and the Wizards regain their focus
so we could see the Cavs shit on them on Jan 6th.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
@WojYahooNBA
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

As Wiz move to demolish roster, front office is seriously exploring a deal for T-Mac's expiring deal, sources say. Butler likely bait.

"The Wizards are active in trade talks with multiple teams, league sources said, and willing to trade any player on their roster."

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
reilo said:
Have you seen Ariza play?

:lol

I was going to post that.

Plus Morey has always wanted him. He tried to get him at the trade deadline last season.

KingGondo

Banned
Matrix said:
@WojYahooNBA
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

As Wiz move to demolish roster, front office is seriously exploring a deal for T-Mac's expiring deal, sources say. Butler likely bait.

"The Wizards are active in trade talks with multiple teams, league sources said, and willing to trade any player on their roster."
OKC will take Butler and Haywood for Etan Thomas and Kyle Weaver.

Weaver is NUMBER ONE in the NBA in projected PER! Hollinger's formula says so.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Shouldnt the thread title be "Official Jan 2010 NBA Season Thread of You can't take the Bullets out of Washington..."

Subtle, i know.

Happy 2010! May every team supported ere win a championship this decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom