• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NES Classic trailer released

Rymuth

6a012876c6c7fb970c017615e87dc5970c-pi

Take my money...I surrender uncondtionally

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The NES in that old commercial always struck me as weird:

NnCvRWI.png

Black buttons and a larger "Nintendo" font. It must have been some sort of prototype they used for the advertisement?

I believe that was the 'test market' NES they brought over in small numbers early on in the States before the system was finalized.

I think the speculation was they're trying to prevent seizures and the ensuing lawsuits.

Which is completely avoidable with that little disclaimer all game makers use in the beginning of each game or manual.

I personally do not buy that reasoning (I think it's reaching), since it is not on the other generations of games.

I mean it's only logical. The thing clearly hasn't completed a full QA process yet. When they run that through QA and the results from the Flash-pattern analyzer come in, they'll have no choice but to tone down the brightness. Unless Nintendo and their legal team have somehow suddenly become careless about epilepsy issues overnight (doubtful), there's no way those games at full brightness will pass.

I mean it's only logical. The thing clearly hasn't completed a full QA process yet. When they run that through QA and the results from the Flash-pattern analyzer come in, they'll have no choice but to tone down the brightness. Unless Nintendo and their legal team have somehow suddenly become careless about epilepsy issues overnight (doubtful), there's no way those games at full brightness will pass.

They could add different settings.

Also, NES Remix doesn't have any dark filters. Same with SNES and TG16 VC.

I get the logic behind it, but it just bums me out big time.

And of course, I'll be eating this shit up regardless of whether it's there or not.

My illogical hope is that, as an Easter egg and since they re-did the sprites into HD for Super Mario Maker, is that the SMB games have an unlockable HD/widescreen mode.

I doubt it'll happen, and I'm still going to get this anyway, but I've thought that would be a neat thing to do.

This is one of those things that's nice to have for a couple of days before being put aside to collect dust because the games aren't as fun as you remember them to be.

MrNelson

Banned
They at least should have the 30 best games. Not having Castlevania 3 or Mega Man 3 or Contra is crazy.

Doesn't Castlevania 3 have issues running on some famiclone systems? I imagine depending on the hardware inside that might be the reason.

Contra isn't even on the VC, supposedly it's a licensing issue.

Damn it. That does look short.
Going for the authentic Famicom experience.

I really hope good sales for this lead to a Mini SNES.

SNES Mini ALttP, Mario World, Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, FF6, Earthbound, CT, Contra 3, Castlevania 4, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, etc. it would be amazing

This is one of those things that's nice to have for a couple of days before being put aside to collect dust because the games aren't as fun as you remember them to be.

There are a few games in there I've probably beaten a hundred or more times.

When you have the muscle memory to rip through something like Mega Man 2 or Punch-Out!! its a very relaxing way to zone out for a half hour or two.

ZeroCDR

I would want this so much more if it had a cartridge slot, but I guess that's not practical with the size. At least the game selection is really good.

StereoVsn

I really hope good sales for this lead to a Mini SNES.

SNES Mini ALttP, Mario World, Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, FF6, Earthbound, CT, Contra 3, Castlevania 4, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, etc. it would be amazing
SE FF or Mana games won't happen. They are selling them for decent amount on mobile/steam.

Hobbun

Same. There is absolutely no rational reason for me to buy this.

But I will.

Damn you, Nintendo

I fall under this as well, own most of the games on the VC.

But I have other motivation not to buy it, as well. I just don't have the space for it. If they had plans for more games, I would make the space, but have no plans to purchase right now.

MrNelson

Banned
Was the controller cord length on the Famicon that short? I don't remember them being that short on my NES.

They were much shorter in Japan. I use an NES controller with my AV Famicom because otherwise I would have to sit way too close to the TV.

This isn't my picture, but it's an accurate comparison.
MCR_5161.jpg

They were much shorter in Japan. I use an NES controller with my AV Famicom because otherwise I would have to sit way too close to the TV.

This isn't my picture, but it's an accurate comparison.
MCR_5161.jpg

This used to be a common thing for early consoles like the Atari 2600 and '80s era Japanese home systems.

The Atari 2600 had the game option settings on the console. The Sega Mark III ( and the Sega Master System) had the pause button on the unit itself:

In Japan it was very common for the players to sit right beside the console, so they generally had shorter cables.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is not meant as a knock towards Japan, but maybe because of (usually) their more ‘economical’ (less space) living areas?
Yup. Or thinking conversely, they'd have been shocked in the 80s by our massive living rooms with TVs and couches at the far opposite side of the room, set up like theatres.

Even now, not so many massive home theatres in Japan.

This is not meant as a knock towards Japan, but maybe because of (usually) their more ‘economical’ (less space) living areas?

I also imagine that sitting on the floor and having the TV on the floor, vs the tv on a table and sitting on a couch influenced that cord distance difference.

Hobbun

Whoever is responsible for this should be fired

Just, why?

Apparently Nintendo has put in the darkened filter for those who have epilepsy.

But that’s the whole reason of the warning that is put into the manual. No reason to change from how the game is supposed to look.

And this comes from someone who has epilepsy. I play at my own risk. (Have never had a problem playing video games).

Top Bottom