• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: NieR Automata releasing on Steam March 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally! Day one for me.

I hope someone can make a mod or injector to remove the transparent borders during cutscenes:
maxresdefault81fe6.jpg

Unless they are pre-rendered and encoded with them on of course.

Pretty lame this isn't coming out the same day as the ps4 version, but I guess I can wait 2 weeks. Zekda and Horizon should nake the wait easy.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You're right, it's not. It's simply not all that perfectly optimized on any platform.
Well, PC version is not out yet...

Hmmm....

Hmmmmmm....

Are you get your hands on the game already? (^__^)

The thing is, that's exactly what is to be expected with any large-scale mid-budget game. That's one of the many reasons I'm happy when they release on PC, because I can substitute excessive force performance for finely tuned code.
Having watcher 27 min gameplay video I can't say that this is a large-scale game in... well, the usual sense of the word. I mean, if you compare it with recent games made by Platinum (Korra, Transformers, Turtles) you'll see that yes, there's more objects on maps, a lot of fliage and decent amout of trees + maps is a bit bigger and more open... but it's not something like Xenoblade for example with HUUUUUGE vistas, open fields and stuff with a lot of animals, insane amount of foliage etc. There's no doubt that Automata is bigger and more open in terms of enviroments than previous games made by Platinum, but not by much to call it a large-scale game... if anything, it's just bigger than usual. :)

Maybe they don't know how properly optimise such a game yet?

Durante

I meant "large scale" more in terms of budget / overall complexity and amount of content.

It's just a fact of life since basically forever that when smaller developers try to make a larger (in any sense: amount of content, number and depth of gamplay systems, fidelity, etc.) game, optimization and polish suffer.

Grief.exe

Any idea if 21x9 support?

I wouldn't expect it.

I believe Platinum creates their UI by hand, and locks that into a specific resolution, instead of scaling the UI mathematically.

As a result, their UIs tend to be locked to resolution steps instead of full arbitrary resolutions. Abnormal resolutions or aspect ratios have a low probability of support.

GrayChild

I wouldn't expect it.

I believe Platinum creates their UI by hand, and locks that into a specific resolution, instead of scaling the UI mathematically.

As a result, their UIs tend to be locked to resolution steps instead of full arbitrary resolutions. Abnormal resolutions or aspect ratios have a low probability of support.

Well, Nier: Automata uses a brand new engine created specifically for the game. This makes me a bit more hopeful about the state of the PC version.

ParityBit

Damn. Well I guess I will just wait to see and then decide at a later date. Thankfully there are plenty of good games out there!

Grief.exe

Well, Nier: Automata uses a brand new engine created specifically for the game. This makes me a bit more hopeful about the state of the PC version.

This has more to do with methodology than engine design, but "brand new engine" is PR speak for "we improved our old engine."

Coreda

What I heard a few months ago was the PC version has no improvements from the PS4 version, nor will it be able to run above the resolution/FPS of that version either. Is there news of whether this has changed?

Ascheroth

What I heard a few months ago was the PC version has no improvements from the PS4 version, nor will it be able to run above the resolution/FPS of that version either. Is there news of whether this has changed?
Who told you that?
More than 60fps is very unlikely, but given Platinums track record 4k should be a given (the question is if resolutions between 1080p and 4k will be supported).

NeoRaider

Hurry up with that Steam page SE!! I will believe it when i see the game on Steam, lol.

In reality i just want to check SteamDB and see is my country in RU/CIS region again. :)

Coreda

Who told you that?
More than 60fps is very unlikely, but given Platinums track record 4k should be a given (the question is if resolutions between 1080p and 4k will be supported).

Finally found it. Direct from the developers.

When they say improvements i'm pretty sure they mean better textures and extra effects, not if it supports arbitrary resolution or not.

That's actually not true. They strictly said that game will be 1080p/60fps, and that they won't allow changing the resolution or fps. Also they added that they are considering releasing "low specs" version of the game on PC. Tho. i am not 100% sure what that even means, i guess they were talking about version of the game that looks even worse than PS4 version??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO-_FKlHRRQ#t=24m
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268769&page=1

But sure, things can always change during the development.

Exentryk

PR:

Square Enix Ltd., today announced that the upcoming highly anticipated Action-RPG, NieR: Automata™ will be available on STEAM globally from 17th March 2017.

Developed in collaboration with PlatinumGames Inc., NieR: Automata tells the story of androids 2B, 9S and A2, and their ferocious battle to reclaim a machine-driven dystopia abandoned by mankind and overrun by powerful mechanoids.

Those who pre-purchase the STEAM Day One edition now will receive an exclusive ‘Valve Character Accessory’, as well as other Day One Edition DLC bonus content including; Machine Mask Accessory, Grimoire Weiss Pod, Retro Grey Pod Skin, Retro Red Pod Skin, and Cardboard Pod Skin. To pre-purchase now, visit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/524220/

NieR: Automata will be available for the PlayStation®4 on the 10th March, and on STEAM globally from the 17th March 2017. For more information, visit: http://nierautomata.com

GHG

£39.99 on the UK store.

Do we expect the likes of CD Keys and GMG to be selling this as well?

GrayChild

Have the EU physical PC edition preordered 2 weeks ago. Hope it will contain all preorder bonuses as well.

And I still want that T-shirt.

raven777

No pricing for asia, hopefully it's a mistake or they just haven't put up the pricing yet (happened with dragon's dogma), because like, they're worrying about piracy and they're region locking people in china from buying it? lmao

It could be also that Asian localization version is coming out on April so maybe they don't want it to release before that in Asian regions? Japan is exception of course.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Pre-ordered on Humble. If you have Humble Monthly, it costs $53.99, and if you select wallet instead of charity you get $2.99 back.

I do wish the first game was coming to Steam, though.

Cool, looks like the valve cosmetic isn't exclusive to the steam store because both GMG and HB advertise it.

Here's the amazon link

They just copy pasted the PS4 details so no mention of the valve accessory but I'd be surprised if it didn't have actually have it since it seems standard. It's so stupid that the Prime discount doesn't work on digital games.

Starviper

Anywhere offering pre-order discounts for PC? I reserved my copy on Amazon for 20% off for ps4 but would totally prefer PC.. And I got Horizon ZD to play

Gbraga

Pre-ordered on Humble. If you have Humble Monthly, it costs $53.99, and if you select wallet instead of charity you get $2.99 back.

I do with the first game was coming to Steam, though.

They said they'll think about a remaster if this one sells well. It outsold Nioh and RE7's first week sales.

I think we're good. :D

Grief.exe

Now I truly believe it. Nier on Steam. A Square Enix title so close to the PS4 launch. What a time to be alive.

bbxo_f-maxage-0.gif

This is a better result than FFXV to be honest.

Still surprised Square hasn't moved on a PC version of Dragon Quest Builders, that game would be insanely successful on the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom