• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: NieR Automata releasing on Steam March 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaly

A 980 for 1080p 60fps? What the heck?
The game's graphics is nothing to write home about, why is the requirement so high?

Don't worry about it, they always overestimate. Same thing happened with Reveangance. I remember people freaking about the i7 as a recommended requirement.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The game looks almost like MGR (well, maybe lighting is better and that's it). There's no need for 980, not even for 1440p let alone for 1080p.

MUnited83

For you.
Still laughing my butt off at those conspiracy theories, as if Sony had been "moneyhatting" Nier of all things, they'd have wanted a lot more than 'hiding' the release date on pc till 5 days before the PS4 release and a 1 week delay.

Keep it up though, highly entertaining material :)

I know right? Sony doesn't give a shit about NiEr, and that's why the game in your avatar is getting a NiEr Automata costume. Because Sony doesn't give a shit about NiEr. Makes total sense.

Also, "hiding the release date" is quite a bit different from "hiding literally every single mention of the PC version in marketing material for 6 months", but sure, continue on that crusade to defend poor Sony, which apparently never makes marketing deals of any kind.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony probably did have a marketing and promotional deal. But that's what happens sometimes! The game itself is releasing in a manner of days regardless, everyone be happy!

Extremely glad this whole thing finally got resolved. Hopefully future SE game releases never get this confusing/stupid ever again.

A 980, huh? I know the PS4 PRO maxes out at 1080/60... but I have a feeling that they're highballing@1080p. I'm set either way. Hopefully this game is the first platinum title to support 1440p downsampling. The demo got me hyped, may have been one of the best I have ever played.

Crayon

Yeah idk guys. Seems more like some sloppy work somewhere. maybe as a favor to Sony, maybe not. But mostly just sloppy.

Momentary

Banned
I feel if this needs a 980 for 60fps at 1080p.... I'm kind of hesitant to whether my Titan XP will push 60 at 4K. If the game is not frame rate locked then it'll be 1440p for me. I've been playing Ateller Sophie at 144hz and it makes the game look just that much more amazing. I can't even imagine how much better it would make a action heavy game like this play.

aravuus

Hardcore hw reqs. 99% sure they're a massive overestimation.

I expect to play it more or less maxed out at 1440p/60fps on a 970. Maybe even 144fps.

MUnited83

For you.
I felt this needs a 980 for 60fps at 1080p.... I'm kind of hesitant to whether my Titan XP will push 60 at 4K. If the game is not frame rate locked then it'll be 1440p for me. I've been playing Ateller Sophie at 144hz and it makes the game look just that much more amazing. I can't even imagine how much better it would make a action heavy game like this play.

Sadly it is quite likely to be like every other Platinum game and 60fps will be the max. I'm not optimistic on arbitrary resolution support either. (4k and 1080p will be a option, but nothing in between if Transformers is any indication)

The Wart

The game looks almost like MGR (well, maybe lighting is better and that's it). There's no need for 980, not even for 1440p let alone for 1080p.

I think you're underestimating Neir compared to MGR. The lighting is definitely better and the environments are much larger than anything in MGR. Probably more complex geometry too. MGR was a very flat-looking game in most respects.

Having said that, yeah, a 980 should eat this for breakfast.

I know right? Sony doesn't give a shit about NiEr, and that's why the game in your avatar is getting a NiEr Automata costume. Because Sony doesn't give a shit about NiEr. Makes total sense.

Also, "hiding the release date" is quite a bit different from "hiding literally every single mention of the PC version in marketing material for 6 months", but sure, continue on that crusade to defend poor Sony, which apparently never makes marketing deals of any kind.
Most people who argue with you, like me isn't defending Sony.

But instead figure it's more Square Enix to blame for the shitty release date fiasco. Not the first time they choose to focus first on a console release and then release it on the PC.

But sure, pack everyone up who disagreed with you as Sony fanboys. Whatever rocks your conspiracy addled boat.

Bl@de

Thank god. Pleasantly surprised. Thought they would push it to Summer/Late 2017. Will wait for patches and get it after I finish Persona 5. So ... in a year ^_^

Crayon

Near Otto Tomato

Right now I'm trying really hard to imagine a third-person action game like this with my fingers on kb/m and my brain is full of fuck

A kb/mouse isn't my first choice nowadays thanks to wrist discomfort but with a little practice you can play almost anything with it.

patapuf

Near Otto Tomato

Right now I'm trying really hard to imagine a third-person action game like this with my fingers on kb/m and my brain is full of fuck

Just think about it like an arcade stick. having a row of buttons for the inputs is actually pretty good for this type of game.

but y tho

Well seeing as how much attention ranged combat/shooting is getting if the demo is any indication, I wanna see how combat works with an always aiming mouse. I like set ups where my thumb isn't constantly readjusting aiming while simultaneously hitting the face buttons.

Besides, I'm one of those weirdos who uses a mouse and PS Nav controller rather than a keyboard.

Durante

A 980 for 1080p 60fps? What the heck?
The game's graphics is nothing to write home about, why is the requirement so high?
Remember that this is a game which doesn't run at a stable 60 FPS on a PS4 Pro at 1080p.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing a Nier game with rock-solid performance and great IQ. This will be a first.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I think you're underestimating Neir compared to MGR. The lighting is definitely better and the environments are much larger than anything in MGR. Probably more complex geometry too. MGR was a very flat-looking game in most respects.

Having said that, yeah, a 980 should eat this for breakfast.
Just checked latest 27 min video. If anything, the game has more trees and foliage (and as I've said before - better lighting) but the rest is flat as paper and PS2 level stuff at best. There's also no AO from what I've seen and no shadows cast by foliage. I can't say that I like how the game looks at all, it looks okay at best and should not require 980 for 1080p.

Some may say that visual quality, complexity of the world and all that is not important in games made by Platinum cuz they are primarily about gameplay and everything around it and I completely agree, but I'm sorry, the fact of the matter is that Automata doesn't look that good to require high-end GPU from previous generation.

Durante

Some may say that visual quality, complexity of the world and all that is not important in games made by Platinum cuz they are primarily about gameplay and everything around it and I completely agree, but I'm sorry, the fact of the matter is that Automata doesn't look that good to require high-end GPU from previous generation.
You're right, it's not. It's simply not all that perfectly optimized on any platform.

The thing is, that's exactly what is to be expected with any large-scale mid-budget game. That's one of the many reasons I'm happy when they release on PC, because I can substitute excessive force performance for finely tuned code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom