• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: NieR Automata releasing on Steam March 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that's ever gotten removed was a trailer with an incorrect release date on it.

Hardly an inconceivable turn of events even if the game's producer hadn't already explained away why there was going to be a small delay!

And the logos removed from promo materials. And early 2017 changed to a vague 2017.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
4 days before Mass Effect.

Welp, what do I do?

GTX 980 VRAM 4 GB

>_>

*looks at his 960m on his damn laptop"...

If I knock graphics down, I can hope for 60 fps right?

Well, the minimum GPU is a GTX 770, while your GTX 960M is literally a desktop GTX 750 Ti.

I fear for your position, if the specs are accurate..

Mountain, meet molehill.

Whether it was a pointless 1-week exclusivity deal or simple mismanagement, it doesn't matter now.

It's announced, it's being released, get it (or don't) on whatever system you'd prefer.

Talk about wasted breath.
This I can agree with.

Nobody can prove it one way or another, so in the end it's just a load of hot air.

MUnited83

For you.
The only thing that's ever gotten removed was a trailer with an incorrect release date on it.

Hardly an inconceivable turn of events even if the game's producer hadn't already explained away why there was going to be a small delay!

I mean, if you ignore how they removed all the mentions of the PC version for several months, yeah, that was all that has gotten removed.

Just doesn't make sense to advertise for a system when you don't know when that version will be ready - especially if it comes down to denuvo.

This makes no sense. When games get announced they get announced and marketed for all kinds of platforms before they are ready. Most of the time years in advance. And they are marketed for those platforms until launch...

sense

They removed all mentions in any marketing , not just marketing about the release date. How hard is to understand this?

Tgus us cirrect,
Jfc, that is not concrete proof to say this is 100% Sony deal. Get over yourself, I am not stupid, so you don't need to keep implying that. I know how marketing deals work and I am just saying this is too dumb to be one and Sony doesn't need this sort of deal at this time when they have enough games to market and worry about. If it turns out it is a marketing deal then I will admit I was wrong and move on...

Yeah, I see now it was the Japanese versions NDA's that ended. That's still something though. Any marketing deals end date is going to seem random really. Seeing as how not all are going to be the same during negotiations.

Expected, but I don't meet the minimum specs. Guess my only option is to get the PS4 version on launch, and then pray to god that the Grimoire Weiss pod DLC will be available to buy when I get the Steam version 6 months down the line.

MUnited83

For you.
This makes no sense. When games get announced they get announced and marketed for all kinds of platforms before they are ready. Most of the time years in advance. And they are marketed for those platforms until launch...

It's really non-sensical reason. The DRM excuse doesn't really hold up at all. They stopped mentioning the Steam version several months ago, way before RE7 was released and cracked. The latest version of Denuvo has also been cracked today, and I bet 100$ right here they are not going to delay the game any further, putting that dumb reason down to rest.

Jfc, that is not concrete proof to say this is 100% Sony deal. Get over yourself, I am not stupid, so you don't need to keep implying that. I know how marketing deals work and I am just saying this is too dumb to be one and Sony doesn't need this sort of deal at this time when they have enough games to market and worry about. If it turns out it is a marketing deal then I will admit I was wrong and move on...

... by that metric, you do not have concrete proof to say this is not Sony's deal either, so ...

And you're saying that "this is too dumb" to be a marketing deal? Yet you believe Square Enix is so unbelievably incompetent that they have pulled this shit on purpose for several months?

low-G

So happy for this. Hopefully no big issues with the PC version and I can get some super sampling going on my 1070 to get rid of those jaggies

Gattsu25

Banned
PC version confirmed.

Lack of backwards compatibility on Sony platforms makes it impossible for me to replay the original Nier. Not going to let that happen twice.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And the logos removed from promo materials. And early 2017 changed to a vague 2017.

Yeah because ads specifically for distribution on official Sony channels isn't going to focus on their brand...

As for your second point, how flimsy is that?

Just admit you might possibly have gotten it wrong, I mean seriously now the Steam release date is out ahead of EU/NA launch, you're not clinging desperately to a conspiracy theory, but an ABORTED conspiracy theory.

BernardoOne said:
I mean, if you ignore how they removed all the mentions of the PC version for several months, yeah, that was all that has gotten removed.

Man, see my avatar. Do you think, maybe I'd be the sort of obsessive fanboy of the franchise who has literally devoured every scrap of information published about it since it was first (and unexpectedly) announced a couple of years ago. Because I am. So trust me, if there was anything hinky going on, I promise you I'd have noticed. There wasn't anything, and the PC build was commented on numerous times.

Yeah, I see now it was the Japanese versions NDA's that ended. That's still something though. Any marketing deals end date is going to seem random really. Seeing as how not all are going to be the same during negotiations.

There's no NDA for the Japanese version lol.
The earliest western review for Nier based on JP copy came out on Feb 25th.

jmga

Yeah because ads specifically for distribution on official Sony channels isn't going to focus on their brand...

Just admit you might possibly have gotten it wrong, I mean seriously now the Steam release date is out ahead of EU/NA launch, you're not clinging desperately to a conspiracy theory, but an ABORTED conspiracy theory.

Don't make a straw man.

The Steam version hasn't been shown on any promo material after its announcement in august regardless where they have been published.

MUnited83

For you.

... you know that this isn't about "distribution on official Sony channels", right? They removed the mentions from their own channels. They removed the PC version from their own site! Jesus man, at least do some damn research.
There's no NDA for the Japanese version lol.
The earliest western review for Nier based on JP copy came out on Feb 25th.
If the reviewer bought the game himself, there is no such thing as a NDA/Embargo.

Luminaire

PC version confirmed.

Lack of backwards compatibility on Sony platforms makes it impossible for me to replay the original Neir. Not going to let that happen twice.
Well you can't play Nier on PC and it's not on Xbone so there's no platform that can play both games yet.

sense

It's really non-sensical reason. The DRM excuse doesn't really hold up at all. They stopped mentioning the Steam version several months ago, way before RE7 was released and cracked. The latest version of Denuvo has also been cracked today, and I bet 100$ right here they are not going to delay the game any further, putting that dumb reason down to rest.

... by that metric, you do not have concrete proof to say this is not Sony's deal either, so ...

And you're saying that "this is too dumb" to be a marketing deal? Yet you believe Square Enix is so unbelievably incompetent that they have pulled this shit on purpose for several months?
Yea I mean it is not like square doesn't have a history of stealth pc releases.....

pezzie

I know this is Gaf, but man I've never seen people argue so passionately on both sides about something that is such a non-issue at this point. Well I guess that's not true, but still.

jmga

Yea I mean it is not like square doesn't have a history of stealth pc releases.....
They surely don't have a history of announcing a PC version and then go completely silent about it and remove all promo material of it.

MUnited83

For you.

Care to provide a single one where a game was already announced to begin with. Care to provide a single one where they did that, announced a game, then proceeded to remove it from marketing, then randomly revealed the actual release date 2 weeks before the release?

I don't think you will find anything at all.

Wait, is there an NDA at all for reviews? I was really only going by what Grief.exe said.

There are NDAs and embargos. But journalists are not bound to those if they buy the game instead of getting them from the publisher...

Euphor!a

Banned
I feel like every FF game released on Steam was known about well before it was announced and SE refused to acknowledge them. This doesn't seem like a big stretch from that..

Fisty

Care to provide a single one where a game was already announced to begin with. Care to provide a single one where they did that, announced a game, then proceeded to remove it from marketing, then randomly revealed the actual release date 2 weeks before the release?

There are NDAs and embargos. But journalists are not bound to those if they buy the game instead of getting them from the publisher...

... they gave a date and sys reqs almost a week before PS4 launch. You really think Sony is moneyhatting Nier, of all things?

sense

They surely don't have a history of announcing a PC version and then go completely silent about it and remove all promo material of it.
Sony doesn't have a history of signing marketing deals for games that have already been announced for other platforms and telling them to stop talking about said announced version until close to launch. It is already launching as a console exclusive so they don't need to go out of their way to sign a deal for a niche game like this when they have enough other releases to market. The example that we do have are when Sony were front and center for marketing from announcement to release and were involved in publishing the retail version like no mans sky.

The question is Why are you connecting the dot with Sony when that could just as easily be square removing them for whatever reason they saw fit.

But it wasn't stealthy at all... They announced it, made ad material for it and then suddenly removed it. And it would seem that that advertising had a release schedule because every time something went up, seemingly automated, it was taken down.

I'll say it again, there is literally no business reason that you would stop advertising for the release of a product for a huge potential consumer base where you make more money per copy sold for any length of time... for no reason and without compensation. ESPECIALLY after material was already made and displayed. I'm talking about steam logo's not release dates and what not.

And no, denuvo whatever or the game not being ready for that platform is not a reason. Games get announced for multiple platforms all the time and are advertised for them for years in advance until and after the game is launched.

I will continue to believe that there was some sort of deal in place. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and I'll eat crow. Durant senpai and I will have a crow picnic. :)

jmga

Sony doesn't have a history of signing marketing deals for games that have already been announced for other platforms and telling them to stop talking about said announced version until close to launch. It is already launching as a console exclusive so they don't need to go out of their way to sign a deal for a niche game like this when they have enough other releases to market. The example that we do have are when Sony were front and center for marketing from announcement to release and were involved in publishing the retail version like no mans sky.

They have a history of many marketing and timed exclusive deals for sure.

And the key part is that hiding the PC version only favors Sony, there is absolutely no explanation on why S-E has been doing it for months and in the end they have only caused damage to themselves.

Luminaire

They have a history of many marketing and timed exclusive deals for sure.

And the key part is that hiding the PC version only favors Sony, there is absolutely no explanation on why S-E has been doing it for months and in the end they have only caused damage to themselves.
Didn't the PC version get announced way later? Any deal they had likely existed before then and by pushing it out they may have been breaching contract. I highly doubt Sony paid money for them to not talk about the PC version at all, let alone scrub dates and promo materials.

MUnited83

For you.
... they gave a date and sys reqs almost a week before PS4 launch. You really think Sony is moneyhatting Nier, of all things?
They moneyhatted smaller stuff, so I'm not sure what the hell is your point there. Sony does marketing deals all the damn time. Oh yeah, they gave a date a week before the PS4 release date...so? Where the fuck does that explain the lack of mentions in marketing materials for several months?

The question is Why are you connecting the dot with Sony when that could just as easily be square removing them for whatever reason they saw fit.
There is not a single reasonable reason for SE to this by themselves on purpose. Not.a.single.one. Every reason you guys have tried to apply so far lacks any kind of logical sense.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
maybe se doesn't really care about the pc base and just go "yeah here pc people here you go whatevs"

Fisty

They moneyhatted smaller stuff, so I'm not sure what the hell is your point there. Sony does marketing deals all the damn time. Oh yeah, they gave a date a week before the PS4 release date...so? Where the fuck does that explain the lack of mentions in marketing materials for several months?

There is not a single reasonable reason for SE to this by themselves on purpose. Not.a.single.one. Every reason you guys have tried to apply so far lacks any kind of logical sense.

Drop the hostility jesus. The PC port is probably coming in hot and they don't want it negatively affecting sales. You are reaching so fucking far to convince people its a conspiracy when massive incompetence is LONG RUNNING TRAIT OF THIS COMPANY

MUnited83

For you.
Drop the hostility jesus. The PC port is probably coming in hot and they don't want it negatively affecting sales. You are reaching so fucking far to convince people its a conspiracy when massive incompetence is LONG RUNNING TRAIT OF THIS COMPANY

They don't want it negativelly affecting sales? Did read what you just wrote? What would fucking negativelly affect it worse than fucking pretending it doesn't exist for several months.

Conspiracy? Holy fucking shit! Nah man, I think you're the ones with the dumb ass conspiracy theory.

Let's see, what is more likely:

Sony doing a marketing deal, something they do frequently

vs

Square Enix being so mind-numbingly incompentent in a scale not ever seen before, so incompetent that they might as well be just about to accidentally set their studios on fire while cooking?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I do have a legit question: how much proper announcements (like it was announced in a big way and not via Twitter only), care, and polish did SE do to the following PC games:

- Dragon Quest Heroes
- I Am Setsuna
- Final Fantasy IV
- Final Fantasy IV: TAY
- Final Fantasy V
- Final Fantasy VI
- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Final Fantasy IX
- Final Fantasy X
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Final Fantasy XIII-2