• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: NieR Automata releasing on Steam March 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever that was.

You're certainly not one for civil discussion are you?

It doesn't matter now - the game is releasing on both systems, sold extremely well in Japan and is reviewing well worldwide.

Buy it (or don't) on whatever system you prefer.

There's no point to all this arguing.

sense

They have a history of many marketing and timed exclusive deals for sure.

And the key part is that hiding the PC version only favors Sony, there is absolutely no explanation on why S-E has been doing it for months and in the end they have only caused damage to themselves.
When Sony has a deal, they are front and center with announcements and marketing like cod, destiny, Bloodborne, nioh, no mans sky, battlefront. Why didn't they hide the pc version of street fighter till closer to release? I mean there were far more attached to that game? Why didn't they stop hello games from promoting special editions of pc, release info or remove the steam page. This has more of a chance of being a square enix fuck up than Sony deal.

Hiding the pc version could result in more preorders for console version so square benefits from shipping as many copies of the game on day 1 as possible and benefit from day one positive reviews and copies being available in stores. Believe it or not, square isn't hugely behind pc as some of you want to believe and there is proof of it from their previous pc release strategies. For the time being, They just look at pc as an additional source of income instead of primary source. If it was the opposite, all of their games would be day 1 on pc.

Some of y'all need to find Jesus.

ngbbs4fcd924477462.jpg

I'm just hyped to be able to play the game on PC... It's so Neir I can taste it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm just hyped to be able to play the game on PC... It's so Neir I can taste it.

Good thing us Asian region peeps got to taste it (in English) 2 weeks ago.

Y'all guys missing out from this conspiracy bickering.

Play the game, it's gud and one of SE's best titles.

Strimei

Wonder if the Valve accessory is a bit of a reference to Drakengard 3 with Zero?

(I know one of the Valve loading images also had it in the eye, but it did bring to mind what I said above)

Kinda neat.

edit: Just to compare:

QrKnXnR.png

thumb

Banned
They don't want it negativelly affecting sales? Did read what you just wrote? What would fucking negativelly affect it worse than fucking pretending it doesn't exist for several months.

Conspiracy? Holy fucking shit! Nah man, I think you're the ones with the dumb ass conspiracy theory.

Let's see, what is more likely:

Sony doing a marketing deal, something they do frequently

vs

Square Enix being so mind-numbingly incompentent in a scale not ever seen before, so incompetent that they might as well be just about to accidentally set their studios on fire while cooking?

Nier PC is not a high priority release for Square. I can see them getting their wires crossed and screwing up their PC marketing, especially if there were miscommunications among low-level employees. I think the issue is that you're thinking of S-E as a monolithic thing, rather than a collection minds spread across several nations, and very capable of doing the wrong thing.

MUnited83

For you.
When Sony has a deal, they are front and center with announcements and marketing like cod, destiny, Bloodborne, nioh, no mans sky, battlefront. Why didn't they hide the pc version of street fighter till closer to release? I mean there were far more attached to that game? Why didn't they stop hello games from promoting special editions of pc, release info or remove the steam page. This has more of a chance of being a square enix fuck up than Sony deal.

Hiding the pc version could result in more preorders for console version so square benefits from shipping as many copies of the game on day 1 as possible and benefit from day one positive reviews and copies being available in stores. Believe it or not, square isn't hugely behind pc as some of you want to believe and there is proof of it from their previous pc release strategies. For the time being, They just look at pc as an additional source of income instead of primary source. If it was the opposite, all of their games would be day 1 on pc.

You mean the Sony that put NiEr as a "PS4 Exclusive" on their videos? That Sony?
And SE is trying to make the version they get less of margin sell more? What?

Nier PC is not a high priority release for Square. I can see them getting their wires crossed and screwing up their PC marketing, especially if there were miscommunications among low-level employees. I think the issue is that you're thinking of S-E as a monolithic thing, rather than a collection minds spread across several nations, and very capable of doing the wrong thing.
Yeah, no, that's not how it works. You don't just start removing every mention of a version of your game for several months because of "low-level employees". Are you telling me they have been miscomunicating for half a year?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I do have a legit question: how much proper announcements (like it was announced in a big way and not via Twitter only), care, and polish did SE do to the following PC games:

- Dragon Quest Heroes
- I Am Setsuna
- Final Fantasy IV
- Final Fantasy IV: TAY
- Final Fantasy V
- Final Fantasy VI
- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Final Fantasy IX
- Final Fantasy X
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Final Fantasy XIII-2
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Thankz
Almost all of these games were plastered all over the Steam store, prior to release. Especially the XIII releases, which were made a big deal.

Tall4Life

Ah yes I'm sure it's a very common mistake to completely forget to include a major platform that you are developing your game for in 6 months of marketing materials

Good thing us Asian region peeps got to taste it (in English) 2 weeks ago.

Y'all guys missing out from this conspiracy bickering.

Play the game, it's gud and one of SE's best titles.

lol, it's not like the debating was for no reason.

And I'd gladly preoccupy my time playing the game instead of missing out by having conversations about an issue on a discussion board. Shoot me the link to the PC version. :")

Euphor!a

Banned
Almost all of these games were plastered all over the Steam store, prior to release. Especially the XIII releases, which were made a big deal.

Yes, and Nier will be too. Just because they were advertised a week or two before release does not negate the fact that we knew about those games months (years in some cases?) in advanced without SE even acknowledging they exist. Some people are crazy with the conspiracies lol.

thumb

Banned
Ah yes I'm sure it's a very common mistake to completely forget to include a major platform that you are developing your game for in 6 months of marketing materials

Please link me to the six months of marketing you're referring to, given that your claim is so absolute, you must have reviewed it all.

Corpekata

Banned
Yes, and Nier will be too. Just because they were advertised a week or two before release does not negate the fact that we knew about those games months (years in some cases?) in advanced without SE even acknowledging they exist. Some people are crazy with the conspiracies lol.

Aside from, Setsuna, XIII-2 and 3, very few of those were known about in advance. FFX was only because of a database leak.

Not to mention comparisons of decade old games is pretty asinine and deliberately obtuse.

Wonder if the Valve accessory is a bit of a reference to Drakengard 3 with Zero?

(I know one of the Valve loading images also had it in the eye, but it did bring to mind what I said above)

Kinda neat.

QrKnXnR.png

Well now see that makes sense. I have never played the other game. Or even consumed anything else Neir related.

I think it's neat how it both looks like a monocle and at the same time a steam valve which would be right at home on a robot.

Euphor!a

Banned

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well now see that makes sense. I have never played the other game. Or even consumed anything else Neir related.

I think it's neat how it both looks like a monocle and at the same time a steam valve which would be right at home on a robot.

Its just speculation, Taro put a valve on his eye so it might have been a shoutout to him. But if it was zero, that's pretty damn creative for something the PC audience would not get

Spinky

If it's actually 50GB, that is just ridiculous.

And the requirements are much higher than I thought, hope I won't have too much trouble with a 1060.

I'll keep my (base) PS4 pre-order open for the moment, but I'll probably end up going with PC as the complete lack of anti-aliasing (which already annoyed me in the demo) along with various other downgrades are bothering me. Damn shame, I wanted a physical copy.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

And the requirements are much higher than I thought, hope I won't have too much trouble with a 1060.

I'll keep my (base) PS4 pre-order open for the moment, but I'll probably end up going with PC as the complete lack of anti-aliasing (which already annoyed me in the demo) along with various other downgrades are bothering me. Damn shame, I wanted a physical copy.

you could just buy PS4 version first and buy PC on a sale, or vice versa you know?

Shantom

Nah, out of that list only the PS1 trilogy and the XIII trilogy got any sort of decent push from Square.

Spinky

you could just buy PS4 version first and buy PC on a sale, or vice versa you know?
Not having the best possible experience on the first playthrough will bother me, and if I buy it on PC I probably won't be buying an inferior version later.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

PS4 digital version is 44Gb, before patches, so its entirely plausible its that large. Most likely due to several hours of pre-rendered cut-scenes as was the case with Drakengard 3.

I'm glad theres an official date now and the steam version exists. now i just want to bitch about one last thing here: I was expecting a march 10th release and now this feels like a delay announcement.

I'm also wondering about these specs but I'm not too worried since 1080p @ 60fps+ is what I play on. If it can't handle that on a 970 then we could have some optimization issues.

Euphor!a

Banned
Aside from, Setsuna, XIII-2 and 3, very few of those were known about in advance. FFX was only because of a database leak.

Not to mention comparisons of decade old games is pretty asinine and deliberately obtuse.

I love how you just sneak in a bunch of extra bullshit after I already responded to you -_-.

It doesn't matter how old the game is. If a company does something one way, it is no surprise to see them continuing to do it that way. One might say to ignore that is pretty asinine and deliberately obtuse.

sense

You mean the Sony that put NiEr as a "PS4 Exclusive" on their videos? That Sony?

Yeah, no, that's not how it works. You don't just start removing every mention of a version of your game for several months because of "low-level employees". Are you telling me they have been miscomunicating for half a year?
Yes, Square want to promote the retail PS4 version because they want to ship as many copies to retailers on day 1 as possible. There is reason why publishers care about preorders for all their games and it is because they need to ship the maximum amount of copies and stock retailer shelves. If they were so worried about pc margins, all their games would be day 1 on pc and would be shouting from the rooftops about that version and get people to buy that version. I have acknowledged many times that it very well could be a Sony deal and at some point you need to acknowledge that it may not be instead of calling people out with flimsy evidence and saying Sony deal is the only answer and everything else is absolutely not possible.

Bueno.

PC gets Hollow Knight and Nier this month.
PS4 gets Horizon.
Wii U gets Zelda Breath of the Wild.

This is good. This month more than any other I need some escapism.

JBwB

May have to buy this in April along with Persona 5. Too many games to play in March atm :(

<The recommended operating environment>
&#12288;1 64 bit, Windows® 10 64 bit * It does not operate on 32 bit OS.
· CPU: Intel® Core &#8482; i5 4670 or more
· AMD A 10 - 7850 K or more · Main memory: 8 GB or more free space
· Hard disk / SSD: 50 GB or more free space
· graphics card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980 VRAM 4 GB or more AMD Radeon &#8482; R9 380X VRAM 4GB or more
sound card: DirectX® 11 support
and communication environment: Broadband or more
&#8226; screen resolution: 1920X1080
- DirectX®: DirectX® 11
- other: mouse, keyboard, game pad (XInput only)

Haha I can easily play this at max settings (3570k, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM)

Gitaroo

I wouldn't pay for any kind of market deal if there is ever a pc version coming out if I were Sony. Seems like a very bad deal on sony end. I think it is very clear now that pc atm is ps4 main competitor. It's not like SE can not afford to promo their game, this kind of game have very specific audiences, those are probably majority of the sales.

Kinda neat.

QrKnXnR.png

No, pretty sure it's just an homage to OG Valve.

valve-logo-compare.gif

Strimei

No, pretty sure it's just an homage to OG Valve.

valve-logo-compare.gif

Or it could be both.

The games do reference one another quite a lot, and one of the other pre-order skins is also a reference to a previous game (Grimoire Weiss, specifically). Due to all the connections, I'm sure it is at least partly a reference to Zero, as well as the Valve image.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'll probably pick this up day one if the price is good, if not... will buy the game later... summer sale maybe.

Granjinha

Yes, Square want to promote the retail PS4 version because they want to ship as many copies to retailers on day 1 as possible. There is reason why publishers care about preorders for all their games and it is because they need to ship the maximum amount of copies and stock retailer shelves. If they were so worried about pc margins, all their games would be day 1 on pc and would be shouting from the rooftops about that version and get people to buy that version. I have acknowledged many times that it very well could be a Sony deal and at some point you need to acknowledge that it may not be instead of calling people out with flimsy evidence and saying Sony deal is the only answer and everything else is absolutely not possible.

financially that makes absolute zero sense, though

square wants to sell as many copies as they can. Even better if it's all digital.

Elandyll

Banned

Still laughing my butt off at those conspiracy theories, as if Sony had been "moneyhatting" Nier of all things, they'd have wanted a lot more than 'hiding' the release date on pc till 5 days before the PS4 release and a 1 week delay.

Keep it up though, highly entertaining material :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom